PDA

View Full Version : Vince Carter rumor - to New Orleans?!

madape
07-29-2004, 07:59 AM
Report: Raptors offer Vince, Rose to Hornets

Vince Carter has yet to comment on the numerous trade talks surrounding his future, maybe now will be the time?

Sportsnet.ca - A trade involving Raptors' franchise Vince Carter and teammate Jalen Rose is lighting up the airwaves in New Orleans, according to WGNO, the cities' local sports radio.

According to the radio report, Toronto has offered Carter and Rose in exchange for P.J. Brown and Canadian Jamal Magloire. The deal reportedly will include an undisclosed amount of cash. It is no secret in Toronto that Vince Carter is unhappy with his exclusion from the Raptors' off-season revamping of its front office and coaching staff.

Also: MoPete returning to Raps

Carter has yet to comment on the ordeal, but on several occasions has voiced his discontent with executive Richard Peddie. Carter's closest friends have revealed the star wouldn't return to the Raptors unless Richard Peddie, president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd., consultant Jack McCloskey, and director of player personnel Jim Kelley, were all fired.

"In due time. I'm definitely going to fill everybody in when it's time," said Carter, who will host his annual charity all-star game July 30th at the Air Canada Centre. "I have nothing to say right now, but I promise in due time."

Magloire, a 6'11 centre, is a native of the city, and has hinted in the past about his desire to play in front of his friends and family. Last season with the Hornets, Magloire averaged 13.7 PPG, while posting 10.3 RPG. Brown, a 6'11 forward, led the team in FG percentage while averaging 10.3 PPG.

In Jalen Rose, the Hornets would get a skilled guard while adding the marquee player needed to play alongside Baron Davis.

Evilmav2
07-29-2004, 08:43 AM
I was reading about this last night on a Hornets board, but didn't give the rumor much credence (it looks like the original report came from a radio guy)...

If this happens, the Raptors would be getting Canadian pennies on American dollars for Vince and Jalen in a horribly inequitable trade.

mavsman55
07-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Carter and Rose for Brown and Magloire? Dang, I mean, Brown and Magloire are good but 1: Toronto already has Bosh and 2: Toronto could probably land a whole lot more for Carter and Rose.

Stressboy
07-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Unless Baron Davis is included there is no way to make the salaries work short of sending the whole team to Toronto. PJ is only 8 mil, wesley is 4.5, Magilore is BYC so at most 5-6mil, Vince and Rose are 27mil. Only Baron/PJ/Magilore has a chance of working and even that send the entire NO front line out of town. Oh I guess it would work if Toronto would take on Masburn who sounds like he will never play again.

Stressboy

kg_veteran
07-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Vince is coming to Dallas, baby.

dalmations202
07-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Vince is coming to Dallas, baby.

I really hope you are right KG.

Many things can happen with VC and Dirk.

grndmstr_c
07-29-2004, 11:21 AM
This is a comical report.

Stressboy
07-29-2004, 11:31 AM
My buddies just chimed in with a trade that would send VC to NO, Magilore/Walker/Delk/Najera to Toronto and PJ brown/D. Armstrong/Rose to dallas. That made sense except for the front line problems that NO would have. As Donnie said, sometimes things are talked about get out, but the people or places involved are wrong. Maybe the NY/Tor/Dal has NO involved, but I highly doubt it for the reasons sited.

Stressboy

sike
07-29-2004, 11:46 AM
I think if dallas is involved...its for Carter....Rose is of no interest here.

fin4life
07-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by: Stressboy
Unless Baron Davis is included there is no way to make the salaries work short of sending the whole team to Toronto. PJ is only 8 mil, wesley is 4.5, Magilore is BYC so at most 5-6mil, Vince and Rose are 27mil. Only Baron/PJ/Magilore has a chance of working and even that send the entire NO front line out of town. Oh I guess it would work if Toronto would take on Masburn who sounds like he will never play again.

Stressboy

What about if they sent MoPete/Mashburn/Magloire/Brown for Rose/Carter... they are looking the get rid of mash and no body is mentioning the fact the MoPete was involved in the article.

FilthyFinMavs
07-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by: fin4life

Originally posted by: Stressboy

Stressboy

What about if they sent MoPete/Mashburn/Magloire/Brown for Rose/Carter... they are looking the get rid of mash and no body is mentioning the fact the MoPete was involved in the article.

I could be wrong but don't think they are allowed to trade MoPete since they just resigned him.

samoan-maverick
07-29-2004, 01:38 PM
I dont see Hornets doing this, giving up a potential premiere center and there other big man. I can see them adding Mashburn instead of Magloire and I would see the Raptors politely decline.

FilthyFinMavs
07-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by: samoan-maverick
I dont see Hornets doing this, giving up a potential premiere center and there other big man. I can see them adding Mashburn instead of Magloire and I would see the Raptors politely decline.

I see them doing it. Hornets are still having attendance problems. They've been having these same attendance problems since they were in Charlotte. You can bring in Carter and Rose without giving up Baron Davis? Let's face it Maglore is definately a top 5 center in this league but he isn't the type of center that can take the Hornets to the next level. Maybe he will in the near future but as of right now he can't take that Hornets team any further than they are right now. The Hornets are just a mediocre team. Their the Pacers of the 90's. They always had Reggie Miller but everyone knew their chances of winning a championship were slim. With a core of Carter, Baron Davis and Rose? not only does that bring in more attendance but you could call them a legitimate contender in the East.

jayC
07-29-2004, 03:45 PM
This is from todays chat with Chad Ford regarding the rumor NO and Toronto:

Chad Ford: The deal that's getting reported: Carter and Jalen Rose for Jamaal Magloire and P.J. Brown doesn't work under cap rules. Not even close. The Hornets would have to include Jamal Mashburn and David Wesley to make it work, or take Rose out of the deal. I can understand why the Raptors would do this trade. It makes much less sense for the Hornets. They're giving up their whole front line for him. I know Vince sells tickets, but without a center and a power forward the Hornets would look a little like . . . last year's Raptors.

Chad Ford: BTW, I've talked to several sources in the league and none of them have heard anything about this. The fact that Magloire is a Canadian native makes it sound awfully fishy

It makes no sense for the Hornets to do the deal. They would still have a chance at the playoffs in the ultra competitve west. They become the New Orleans Raptors but worse if they make the deal.

rakesh.s
07-29-2004, 04:04 PM
the hornets must be smoking some good herb to pull the trigger on this...they are giving up 2 QUALITY big men for 2 guards? are you kidding me?

what will their frontline look like after this trade? david west and tractor? and their backups - vince carter and jalen rose?..don't think so

Stressboy
07-29-2004, 04:26 PM
All that is why a team like NY would have to be involved to send some front line help the direction of the Hornets. If Toronto can get a top 5 center and max cap space for moving Carter, they have to really consider it. The Hornets do it because they are going to be hamstrung for the next 3 years with a lame Mashburn and they have to start filling the arena. Dallas would do it because they get a staring defensive minded center in brown and a PG in armstrong. Rose is someone they would rather not have, but take on because they have to. It all makes sense, but I have not figured it out from NY's perspective. If they get Crawford or Dampier, they probably have to trade the pieces that would use to get Walker, so the whole thing is about a flemsy as Isaiah's GM skills.

Stressboy

Stressboy
07-29-2004, 05:32 PM
One way it works for all involved. There might be picks going Toronto direction since they only clear about 10mil in cap this year, or they can forget the cap and take stack instead of laettner.

Dallas trades: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.5 minutes)
PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.4 minutes)
Dallas receives: PF PJ Brown (10.4 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 1.9 apg in 34.4 minutes)
PG Darrell Armstrong (10.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 3.9 apg in 28.5 minutes)
SG Jalen Rose (15.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.0 apg in 37.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +10.6 ppg, +0.6 rpg, and +3.5 apg.

New York trades: C Dikembe Mutombo (5.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 23.0 minutes)
PF Othella Harrington (4.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.5 apg in 15.6 minutes)
C Nazr Mohammed (7.4 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.5 apg in 20.1 minutes)
New York receives: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 82 games)
Change in team outlook: -3.6 ppg, -7.5 rpg, and +3.1 apg.

New Orleans trades: PF PJ Brown (10.4 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 1.9 apg in 34.4 minutes)
C Jamaal Magloire (13.7 ppg, 10.3 rpg, 1.1 apg in 33.9 minutes)
PG Darrell Armstrong (10.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 3.9 apg in 28.5 minutes)
New Orleans receives: C Nazr Mohammed (7.4 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.5 apg in 80 games)
SF Vince Carter (22.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 4.8 apg in 73 games)
Change in team outlook: -4.8 ppg, -11.1 rpg, and -1.6 apg.

Toronto trades: SG Jalen Rose (15.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.0 apg in 37.9 minutes)
SF Vince Carter (22.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 4.8 apg in 38.1 minutes)
Toronto receives: PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 48 games)
PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 33 games)
C Dikembe Mutombo (5.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 65 games)
PF Othella Harrington (4.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.5 apg in 56 games)
C Jamaal Magloire (13.7 ppg, 10.3 rpg, 1.1 apg in 82 games)
Change in team outlook: -2.2 ppg, +18.0 rpg, and -5.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Stressboy

Finley4ever
07-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Here is a trade I thought of that might work for all teams:

Dallas gets:
Jamal Mashburn
PJ Brown
Darrell Armstrong

New Orleans gets:
Vince Carter
Jalen Rose
Shawn Bradley
Jerome Moiso

Toronto gets:
Jamaal Magloire
Antoine Walker
Jerry Stackhouse
George Lynch

Dallas new lineup:
Armstrong / Harris
Daniels / Howard
Finley / Mashburn
Nowitzki / Brown
Booth / Brown / Benga / Pavel

We get a veteran point guard and a good low post defender and rebounder. Mash could help if he comes back from his injuries, but even if not, I think Dallas would have enough depth at the 2/3. I would also hate to have to give up Bradley, but I would do it in this trade because I don't think Nellie would use him as effectively as he would PJ.

I think Toronto definitely does it because they get a replacement for VC in Stackhouse, they finally get a big man, they get rid of Rose's contract, and get Walker's contract.

New Orleans is the team I have the most doubts about, but I think this trade helps them keep at least some semblance of a front line and their starting backcourt would be very scary.

EricaLubarsky
07-29-2004, 11:54 PM
Mashburn can be sent on a easter egg hunt for the lost cartilage of his knee for the next two years. That might work.

There are very few things that can make me disillusioned about the Maverick's future and getting Mashburn again is one of those.

MikeB
07-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Does the fact that Toronto matched for MoPete make the likelihood of VC being traded go UP!?

mavsman55
07-30-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by: Finley4ever
Here is a trade I thought of that might work for all teams:

Dallas gets:
Jamal Mashburn
PJ Brown
Darrell Armstrong

New Orleans gets:
Vince Carter
Jalen Rose
Shawn Bradley
Jerome Moiso

Toronto gets:
Jamaal Magloire
Antoine Walker
Jerry Stackhouse
George Lynch

Dallas new lineup:
Armstrong / Harris
Daniels / Howard
Finley / Mashburn
Nowitzki / Brown
Booth / Brown / Benga / Pavel

We get a veteran point guard and a good low post defender and rebounder. Mash could help if he comes back from his injuries, but even if not, I think Dallas would have enough depth at the 2/3. I would also hate to have to give up Bradley, but I would do it in this trade because I don't think Nellie would use him as effectively as he would PJ.

I think Toronto definitely does it because they get a replacement for VC in Stackhouse, they finally get a big man, they get rid of Rose's contract, and get Walker's contract.

New Orleans is the team I have the most doubts about, but I think this trade helps them keep at least some semblance of a front line and their starting backcourt would be very scary.

No way Mashburn comes off the bench. I think things would work out a little better like this:

Armstrong/Harris
Finley/Daniels
Mashburn/Howard
Nowitzki/Brown
Booth/Brown/Benga/Pavel

This way, we'd have an incredible starting lineup with tons of depth and defensive talent coming off the bench. Sounds good to me.

FilthyFinMavs
07-30-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by: jayC
This is from todays chat with Chad Ford regarding the rumor NO and Toronto:

Chad Ford: The deal that's getting reported: Carter and Jalen Rose for Jamaal Magloire and P.J. Brown doesn't work under cap rules. Not even close. The Hornets would have to include Jamal Mashburn and David Wesley to make it work, or take Rose out of the deal. I can understand why the Raptors would do this trade. It makes much less sense for the Hornets. They're giving up their whole front line for him. I know Vince sells tickets, but without a center and a power forward the Hornets would look a little like . . . last year's Raptors.

Chad Ford: BTW, I've talked to several sources in the league and none of them have heard anything about this. The fact that Magloire is a Canadian native makes it sound awfully fishy

It makes no sense for the Hornets to do the deal. They would still have a chance at the playoffs in the ultra competitve west. They become the New Orleans Raptors but worse if they make the deal.

How owudl they be the New Orleans Raptors? Baron Davis, Rose and Carter? That's a nice core. Raptors have never had that point guard that Baron Davis is.