PDA

View Full Version : Kittles to Clippers; Q-Rich to Suns

PlanoJ
07-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Realgm says that the Clippers are allowing Q-Rich to go to the Suns and have acquired Kittles from New Jersey for a second round pick. This would give the Nets a 9.7million trade exemption.

MikeB
07-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Yeah but they aren't going to use it.
They also signed Jacque Vaughn and Rodney Buford.

FilthyFinMavs
07-29-2004, 02:46 PM
I don't what interest the Suns had in QRich. I thought this season would be Joe Johnson's breakout season unless they stll plan to start him and sit QRich on the bench. I don't think this move really makes the Suns a powerhouse in the West. It was a good move nonetheless and by signing him they have a better roster but I still don't fear the Suns as a team to beat in the West. Basically the Clipps are saying they would rather have Kittles than QRich. I don't understand that at all.

MikeB
07-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Here is a quote from Mike Dunleavy:

Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said Kittles is a perfect fit for his team.

``Kerry is a terrific defender, ball-handler and perimeter shooter who will enhance our team chemistry,'' Dunleavy said in a statement issued by the team.

Kittles is more of a team guy than Qrich. Now that Qrich is in Phoenix I think they will pursue moving Marion and his big contract out of there...maybe they will get involved in the Dampier sweepstakes. A lineup of Nash, Q, Joe Johnson, Amare, and Dampier with Barbosa coming off the bench is pretty darn good.
GS would have Fisher, Dunleavy, Marion, Murphy, Dale Davis, Foyle, Uncle Cliffy, JRich(who I believe they will look to move if they get Marion), Pietrus, Biedrins, and Speedy. Not an awful lineup talent wise.

sike
07-29-2004, 03:11 PM
ka-plowy!!! and the netts are offically exploded folks

jayC
07-29-2004, 03:12 PM
I agree the Clippers two years ago had odom, Maggette, and QRich all similar players. Except Maggette scores with realtive high efficeincy compared to the rest. Kittles is a solid defender when kidd couldn't handle a guards speed the Nets put Kittles on him. Best thing about the deal is the clippers didn't trade Wilcox. It makes you wonder if the Nets will trade for Rahim for some package of draft picks or set up a deal with Dallas for capspace.

I have heard all of the Marion for Dampier rumors but Phoenix would be crazy to do that.

grndmstr_c
07-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Here's a trade idea. Walker to NJ for Zo, a trade exception, and a first rounder.

EricaLubarsky
07-29-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Here's a trade idea. Walker to NJ for Zo, a trade exception, and a first rounder.

here's an question: why?

LRB
07-29-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c

How big of a trade exemption would that be? And which 1st rounder?

grndmstr_c
07-29-2004, 05:05 PM
here's an question: why?Assume the Mavs have succeeded in filling out the roster using other trades (eg., a KVH/Jones deal) and want to move Toine to get him out of the locker room but can only find a deal along the lines of Glenn Robinson. Wouldn't you rather have a first rounder than Glenn Robinson? Not really sure how receptive the Nets would be, but that's one possible angle for the Mavs.

How big of a trade exemption would that be? And which 1st rounder?
It'd be around 9.2 million. Enough to match the salaries up. I'm actually not positive which picks the Nets have so it's possible this wouldn't even be feasible, but you'd like to get one in the middle of the first next year, I'd think. If it looked like you were going to get stuck with too late of a pick I might reconsider.

LRB
07-29-2004, 05:13 PM
I'd do it. The 9.2 mill trade exception would last for one year from when we get it I believe, so we could be players in the FA market next year with that even if we couldn't find someone to use it on this year. It would allow us great flexibility in making trades. And I for one would take even a low 1st round draft choice over Big Dog any day. I want no part of that garbage.

DubOverdose
07-29-2004, 07:07 PM
That'd be awesome to trade Walker and get a TE and a first rounder. I'd still like to see the Mavs swing a deal for a veteran PG, but the Mavs would be more youthful again with another first rounder.

MavKikiNYC
07-30-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by: sike

Just wait until Jason Kidd explodes. Can hardly see them holding on to him.

FilthyFinMavs
07-30-2004, 12:59 AM
One thing wouldn't surprise me is if the Mavs some how acquired Kidd this offseason. Also Congrats to QRich for not only leaving the LA Clipps organization but on his engagement. He's having the offseason of his life.i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

MavKikiNYC
07-30-2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC

Just wait until Jason Kidd explodes. Can hardly see them holding on to him.

Nets: Kidd ready to walk
Friday, July 30, 2004
BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
Star-Ledger Staff

The Bruce Ratner Fire Sale continued in earnest yesterday, when the Nets gave away yet another piece of their franchise -- and their history -- by shipping Kerry Kittles to the Los Angeles Clippers for virtually nothing.

Which raises the question: Just how low can the Nets go?

This low: According to a team official, Jason Kidd returned from his Mexican vacation yesterday and immediately requested a meeting with management at Ratner's earliest convenience, at which time the Nets' captain is expected to demand a trade.

And to further illustrate the goals of the new ownership group, a close friend of Alonzo Mourning yesterday disclosed that the disabled center wants to attempt a comeback, but has been informed by the team that his services are no longer desired, as it would rather lop his salary off the cap after next season.

Team president Rod Thorn, who in an afternoon conference call with reporters sounded as though he had his soul ripped out by a savage tax collector, attempted to spin the Kittles trade into a positive move that will allow his depleted team to fill the gaping voids at other positions while saving the $9.8 million that remained on Kittles' contract.

"The purpose for us was very simple: We're obviously trying to restructure our team, and it's going to make it much easier after we make this deal," said Thorn, whose team received a second-round draft pick in the deal, which also included a $1.5 million payment to L.A.

"I feel very confident we'll end up with a strong two-guard position, but we have other needs we have to address, and if we stayed the way we were, we wouldn't be able to address them. That in a nutshell is why we did this trade."

The ramifications, however, could get very complicated -- and ugly.

Thorn, whose team picked up journeyman subs Rodney Buford and Jacque Vaughn yesterday, said last night that his conversation with Kidd about the Kittles deal was brief.

"I talked to someone who was with him," Thorn said. "I talked to Jason for about three seconds."

Presumably enough time for Kidd to slam down the phone. While Thorn would not confirm Kidd's mood or whether a meeting was requested, Kidd's anger over the sacrifice of his backcourt partner was felt throughout the organization -- so much that it is now widely assumed that he will demand a trade.

Agent Jeff Schwartz, who was traveling yesterday, did not return calls seeking comment. But another member of Kidd's inner circle predicted the worst.

"He took the Nets' money because they told him they were going to try to win the championship -- false pretenses," Kidd's friend said. "Knowing Jason, he'll want out. I'd bet that he's not playing until they trade him."

The Nets have now lost three of their top seven players -- Kenyon Martin, Rodney Rogers and Kittles -- and received no live bodies in return. They have also trimmed their payroll from $62 million to its present $47.5 million, and there is no guarantee that they are done hacking more salaries. It is possible, for example, that the Nets will buy out Lucious Harris, who has $2.65 million coming to him next season.

It also appears as though they would dissuade Mourning from returning, even though he has been in the gym almost daily for the past two months. According to Zo's friend, he told the Nets that he would like to play again, and showed ample readiness with a strong performance at his charity game last week. But the team would rather see him retire -- thereby allowing it to save $12 million after the last two years of his salary come off the salary cap.

Mourning's agent, Jeff Wechsler, said last night that a comeback from last December's kidney transplant "hasn't come up -- Alonzo made his comments earlier this summer that he has no plans to play, and I'd believe what Alonzo says."

Thorn added, "He's been working out, and there's certainly no doubt that if he can play he would like to play...but it's too early to comment about it."

When asked whether the bean counters would welcome Mourning back, Thorn's response was intentionally vague: "If he's able to play," he said, "I'm sure he'll be here."

Kittles leaves New Jersey after 496 games covering seven seasons, in which time he became the Nets' second-leading scorer behind Buck Williams. He also had more steals than any other Net besides Darwin Cook, played more minutes than anyone other than Williams, and led the franchise in most 3-point categories.

Still, Thorn referred to Kittles as "a role player. If you look at our team, we have spots to fill. By making this trade it puts us in a better position to fill other spots."

Besides the Clippers' second-round pick next year, the Nets also get a $9.8 million exception that can be used only in a trade, but they are not likely to use it. To fill out the roster, Thorn has targeted Ron Mercer and Newark native Eric Williams, hopeful they'd be willing to split their midlevel exception, that extra $4.9 million fund that capped-out teams can spend on free agents.

"There's interest on the Nets' part and the lure of New Jersey is attractive on Eric's part," agent Mark Bartelstein said yesterday. "I think he'd be a great fit in a variety of ways."

MavKikiNYC
07-30-2004, 06:50 AM
It's like they're making themselves an expansion team.

MikeB
07-30-2004, 09:52 AM
What NJ is doing is following the blueprint that Denver used.
Blow it up...blow it up real bad...get expiring contracts and draft picks...get good again in 2-3 years and don't pay the luxury tax...actually get paid the luxury tax.
If they draft well and get the right young FAs then it may be worth it to absolutely stink for a couple of years...but if you miss then you can be bad for a long long time.

Now lets help them get as bad as they wanna be...Walker for Kidd...straight up...Win/Win situation.

sike
07-30-2004, 10:09 AM
"Now lets help them get as bad as they wanna be...Walker for Kidd...straight up...Win/Win situation. "
i gotta think that even with the knee concerns they could do better than walker straight up.....

MikeB
07-30-2004, 10:46 AM
"Now lets help them get as bad as they wanna be...Walker for Kidd...straight up...Win/Win situation. "
i gotta think that even with the knee concerns they could do better than walker straight up.....

Ok...then lets really do it up.
Walker, Laettner, & Delk
For
Kidd, Mourning, & Aaron Williams

Get out from under Zo and Kidd's contracts and get $22 million in expiring contracts.

Plus what you guys aren't comprehending is that the Nets
WANT to be bad. That is the key to really blowing it up. Why else do you let two starters go for Draft picks only?

EricaLubarsky
07-30-2004, 12:35 PM
Instant money savings?

FilthyFinMavs
07-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by: MikeB

Ok...then lets really do it up.
Walker, Laettner, & Delk
For
Kidd, Mourning, & Aaron Williams

Get out from under Zo and Kidd's contracts and get $22 million in expiring contracts.

Plus what you guys aren't comprehending is that the Nets
WANT to be bad. That is the key to really blowing it up. Why else do you let two starters go for Draft picks only?

The Net's don't want to be that bad. THey atleast want a draft pick out of the deal. A possible lottery involving Kidd but being that most of the teams Kidd goes to end up being playoff teams I still think they want the chance to get a lottery pick for him. Kidd's no scrub. He still has plenty of value and I think even the Net's know he's more valuable then cap space. Also, that Nuggets team never had anyone close to Kidd's talent. They had no superstars.

MikeB
07-30-2004, 01:02 PM
OK...so we include a 2008 draft pick(We still have our 2008 pick right?)