PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to Christmas in August (24th)

V
08-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Seems the topic of trade rumors changes from day to day. One day it's VC & 10 threads get started....next day it's Kidd and 10 more threads.

We have 21 days till August 24th. Over the next three weeks there will be plenty of rumors so let's get organized to talk about the top trade candidates:

August 2 - Anfernee Hardaway - Any interest in this guy? for the next two days this thread will be good for AH discussion. He's a nice vet who can play some point... He's regained some athleticism since his knee surgery. Nice big $14.6 million contract makes him a valuable trade asset next off season when his $15.6 million deal expires in summer 2006. Any interest?

Aug 3 - Jason Terry - Anfernee hardaway is somewhat boring... so he only gets a half-day discussion. August 3rd is now Jason Terry day. The team is rebuilding and Terry wants out. The Hawks will have a number of suitors and urgently need to address some huge holes in their frontcourt. They can't move Terry without his permission until Sept 25th, but expect him to agree to almost anything at this point. Terry makes $7 million this year.

Aug 4 - The Davis Brothers - Antonio? Dale? Does it matter? Neither has much offensively. Neither are great shotblockers. Neither will get you 10 boards a game... but both can bang in the paint. Antonio makes about $12 million this year and $13 million next year. Chicago is in a shambles & word on the street has it that they want serious cap room in return. Dale's contract is a little better at $9 million expiring but beware... Dale anchored a Portland defense that ranked among the worst in the league last year.

Aug 5 - Theo Ratliff - Late breaking news bumps a Ratliff discussion to the fore. Theo was a monster for the Blazers last year. Once Atlanta moved him to Portland as a part of the 'Sheed deal Ratliff's blocks per game increased from 2.5 - 3 early in the year to 5 through the whole month of February. His game improved to the extent he was recognized as second team All-Defense at center last year. A notable presence in the paint Ratliff changes games defensively. Does Ratliff provide what the Mavs need? He's 31 years old. He's an injury concern but he's been injury-free for two seasons. "Words can't explain what he [Ratliff] does for us," teamate Derek Anderson said. "He alone changes the outcome of every game we will play in." Ratliff's expiring ontract pays him $11 million this season so getting him will be difficult. but if Portland doesn't think they're in the playoff hunt this year it may be possible...

Aug 6 - Wally Sczerbiak - Wally was the odd man out of the Wolves' starting five once the team traded for Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell. The Wolves are open to moving him once his base-year status expired in July. The Cavaliers and Bulls have shown a lot of interest in Szczerbiak in the past... Is he a Nelly guy? Judging by his contract one wouldn't expect he's a Cuban guy. He's locked up for five years, fifty million. He's on the books for $9 mil this season.

Aug 7 - Zydrunus Ilgauskas - Big Z. Nelly loves him. To some Z has it all: $14.6 million expiring contract, ability to score in the paint, 2.5 blocks per game. To others he's a great white stiff (with bad feet). It's rumored that he's on the block... but at what cost?

Aug 8 - Jamal Mashburn - What if Cuban reunited Kidd & Mash? ... Just joking. Two years removed from the best season in his career and an all-star appearance, the Hornets are giving away Mashburn. Injuries, however, are expected to cool the market for him. Do the Mavs look to consolidate some roster junk for him in hopes that he'll return to prior form? His value has never been lower...

Aug 9 - Eddie Curry - Baby (fat) Shaq. He's 35 pounds overweight ... but he can be an offensive force on the low block. Paxon reflexively puts his head in his hands when he says the name Eddie Curry. But scouts will tell you Curry just needs a change of scenery. Will the Mavs be able to put together a compelling offer to get him out of his hometown Chicago? Can the Dallas vets turn this doughboy into the warrior we're looking for? Discussion this Sunday & Monday...

Aug 10 - Glenn Robinson - Robinson's name gets in the papers but most agree he's finished... a trade with the Sixers will not be about the Big Dog. It will be about Sammy Dalembert. The Sixers love Dalembert but they might move him if they can get some cap room for 2005. Moving Snow helped. Now they need to unload McKie, Coleman, and Marc Jackson... (and they need to convince MacCulloch to retire). Should the Mavs go all out for Dalembert?... He's relatively unproven. One could argue he's not what the Mavs need anyway.

Aug 11 - Keith Van Horn - Talk about doughboy ... but boy can he shoot the lights out. He makes $14.6 this year & $15.7 next year. I hate KVH's game... I think. Talk about KVH & his contract next week...

Aug 12 - Tim Thomas - Thomas has the type of contract that would be great for consolidating the Mavs roster. He makes $13 million this year and $14 million next year. He has some talent... but he's too soft to play on the east coast. Thomas is a classic Pandora's Box player... he's similar to KVH in that regard. Tim's name has not been in the papers (that makes him a likely trade target) because Deke has said he doesn't want to move him. I can't imagine that's true especially after Kenyon Martin punked him last year.

Aug 13 - Kidd revisited - Will discussions be warming up? Or will he be planning a championship run with SAR at his side? Or maybe he will be gone...

Aug 14 - Shareef Abdur-Rahim - It's reported that SAR will sit out the season if he's not traded. While he doesn't offer much help to the Mavs on the basketball court his $14.6 million contract expires this year. Can the Mavs work with Portland to land a big fish for Dallas? Pull up this thread on Wednesday & Thursday to discuss!

Aug 15 - Vinsanity revisited - Who can go more than a week without talking about the high flier?

Aug 16 - Ron Artest - The SAR discussion gets tabled since the Mavs traded for Jason Terry today. I've tentatively penciled in 'Reef for August 13th - but that could change. In the wake of the Terry deal, it's clear the Mavs are looking to get tougher and better defensively... and there's no one tougher than Ron Artest. But he only makes $6 million this year so getting him will be difficult. The Mavs are now loaded at the guard positions but one could argue that Finley, Stackhouse, Daniels, and Terry are all shooting guards. Would it be worth the gamble to add a legitimate experienced SF to the roster? If the Mavs don't get a center does it stand to reason that they need a banger at the three to compensate for a soft middle? Artest may be the guy... But here's what this day is really about: there's talk of Artest for Peja Stojakovic. Would the Mavs be more interested in the Serbian sharpshooter? Can the Mavs get in the middle of such an exchange? V says "Don't rule it out."

Aug 16 - *BONUS* Cedric Ceballos - A tribute to the one who started it all. Ced begat ... who ... who begat who ... who begat who ... who begat who's next.

Aug 17 - Jalen Rose - The ugly side of rebuilding in Toronto. He makes a ton ... $14.4 million with $47 million remaining on his contract. If the Mavs still need to clear roster space do they clear three or four contracts for Rose? Would Rose be good for anything? Wait until the 16th to find out!

Aug 18 - Role Players - One of my favorite days. By now we'll need a break from blockbuster-talk... today is an open day to talk about role players. Do the Mavs have another Booth / Fortson deal in them? If the Mavs still have roster trash you can expect them to be on the lookout for the next Custodian. Is there something out there that's doable?

Aug 19 - Paul Pierce - Back to the big-time. Ainge said he won't trade Pierce... but he also said no one is untradeable. That means Pierce may be gone folks. He is maxed out for four more years starting at $12.5 million but he's only 26 years old & at one time he was considered Dirk's equal or better. Given Boston's situation (a whopping five players with one or fewer years of experience) expect offers to come for Pierce in bunches. With Ricky Davis, Jiri Welsch and draft-pick Tony Allen in the backcourt, perhaps Ainge feels he can move Pierce if someone is willing to give up a big in return. After a terrible year trying to do everything does Cuban bite on Pierce while his value is low ... or is Tony Cubes comitted to Josh Howard at the three?

Aug 20 - Michael Finley - "What" you say. Finley already plays for the Mavs.... You're right! Today we talk about his trade value. Should the Mavs trade Finley? Does he provide the heart & soul of the team or is he holding Dirk back from taking a leadership role? Can the Mavs trade Finley? Some would say that Finley's deal is unmoveable... others would say he's easier to move than Jalen Rose who was moved last year. If the Rose contract can be moved...

Aug 21 - Erik Dampier - We're getting close to trade day & if Damp is still available you really have to wonder. Could he be a Mav?

Aug 22 - Elton Brand - Donald Sterling is still reeling from the Kobe loss. Will he react by dumping Brand for expiring contracts? It would not be suprising for Sterling to revert to his former management style: field a cheap NBA team for LA fans who can't afford to go to a Laker game. Wilcox is waiting in the wings to take over PF duties... and he's MUCH cheaper. Brand is maxed for five more years at $80 million. If Sterling holds true to form who knows...

Aug 23 - Mystery Player - If the Mavs still have questions ... I have an answer

AUGUST 24th!!

i/expressions/moon.gif

vinnieponte
08-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Lets just keep our fingers crossed that the Mark will be more intrested in the trades for the Mavs than a Reality show rating! Big Z & Kidd is my predicition, Hey!!! I can dream right?

fin4life
08-02-2004, 06:02 PM
that is a pretty interesting post... but let's stick to the topic.

I dont have very much interest in penny hardaway because he is one of the few players in the league who is more overpaid than Antoine Walker. He hasnt fully recovered from his injuries, the most he could ever be is an average player. On the mavs, he would average 5points/2reb/2ass in 15 minutes per game. I would be shocked if he did anything more than that.

V
08-02-2004, 06:22 PM
The Knicks have 14 roster spots filled counting 19 year old Trevor Ariza so it's conceiveable that they owuldtake multiple players for Hardaway. Deke has been down the path of acquiring bad contracts so he might not be afraid to take on someone like Wahad if it clears the way for a player -or a deal he wants.

Something like Laettner & Wahad might make some sense. Laettner gives Deke another expiring contract that he could use to get Jamal Crawford ... the Mavs pick up a roster spot and a vet point forward to tutor Harris.

As a player I think Hardaway has something left if he's put in the right situation.

fin4life
08-02-2004, 06:30 PM
I think laetner might help the mavs more than penny could... but it would be really nice to get rid of wahed. I might consider doing this deal:

Dallas trades: Jon Stefansson ( ppg, rpg, apg in minutes)
Tariq Abdul-Wahad ( ppg, rpg, apg in minutes)
PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.5 minutes)
Dallas receives: PG Frank Williams (3.9 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 12.8 minutes)
SG Anfernee Hardaway (9.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.3 apg in 27.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +7.2 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and +2.6 apg.

New York trades: PG Frank Williams (3.9 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 12.8 minutes)
SG Anfernee Hardaway (9.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.3 apg in 27.6 minutes)
New York receives: Jon Stefansson ( ppg, rpg, apg in games)
Tariq Abdul-Wahad ( ppg, rpg, apg in games)
PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 48 games)
Change in team outlook: -7.2 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and -2.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Pretty much the same deal that V mentioned but a little boost at PG by dealing steff for williams. Just a trade for thought considering today is Penny Hardaway Day in this thread.

chumdawg
08-02-2004, 06:42 PM
If the Mavs have any interest in Penny, then here's a deal that might work.

Chad Ford says that the Mavs would give Stackhouse, but not Walker, for Kurt Thomas. If that's true, then hows about:

Stackhouse
TAW
Najera
Delk

for

Penny
Kurt Thomas

fin4life
08-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by: chumdawg

Chad Ford says that the Mavs would give Stackhouse, but not Walker, for Kurt Thomas. If that's true, then hows about:

Stackhouse
TAW
Najera
Delk

for

Penny
Kurt Thomas

If we pulled the trigger on that deal... we might be overstocked at the PF position. We would have Dirk, KT, Walk, L8.

That would make L8 and Walker completely expendable so we could swap them for J-Kidd (i know we arent supposed to mention other trades). Some trade would have to be made because that would be a major logjam if we traded 3 smalls and najera (who is a 3/4) for a big man. Walker would need to go worse than ever!

I like the deal though if we can do something with walker and maybe L8

sike
08-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Stackhouse
TAW
Najera
Delk
for
Penny
Kurt Thomas
this move does not greatly improve the team. I say no. Stackhouse would be more help than Thomas in my opinion.

grndmstr_c
08-02-2004, 07:29 PM
No real interest in Penny. I'd probably do the TAW/Najera/Delk portion of CD's deal if there were nothing better available involving those players, but I can't see why New York would have any interest in that.

mavsfan4life7
08-02-2004, 08:25 PM
why dont we try and get a first rounder out of NY? They arent a very good team, and we might get a pretty high pick. Give them quite a bit for penny and KT and then get them to give us a first rounder!

grndmstr_c
08-02-2004, 08:33 PM
I'm pretty sure most of their first rounders in the near future went to Phoenix last year in the Marbury trade.

fin4life
08-02-2004, 08:34 PM
That would be nice if it could work out. Having a first rounder would close the deal for me

If we keep howard, daniels and harris for 4-5 years (very likely) and either Mbenga or PPod deevelop...we will have very good young players. If given two 1st round picks, I think the mavs would come away with at least one more great youth to ass to the list. We could have a whole linup of 2-4 year players (not necessarily a starting lineup)

FilthyFinMavs
08-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Teams I want nothing to do with are the Hawks and Knicks. They just don't have anything and that one player you might consider a all star or you might want the Mavs already have a star at that position. I'd like Penny to be on this squad and i'm sure Nellie would too but with his contract we're looking to be giving the Knicks cap space and Penny's not worth that to me. I want a pg or a banger for my cap space or some youth with potential. I'd like to have Eddy Curry but i'd give them Delk for him. The Bulls want to get rid of him fine. But don't expect the deal to be in the Bulls favor. That goes for any team that wants to dump a player on the Mavs.

XERXES
08-02-2004, 09:11 PM
I'd like to have a dedicated day for cedric ceballos.

fin4life
08-02-2004, 09:20 PM
could curry be had by doing one of these trades??:

Chicago trades: SF Scottie Pippen (5.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 17.9 minutes)
C Eddy Curry (14.7 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 29.5 minutes)
Chicago receives: C Jon Stefansson (14.7 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 29.5 minutes)
PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.4 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -8.7 ppg, -2.6 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

Dallas trades: C Jon Stefansson (14.7 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 29.5 minutes)
PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.4 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Scottie Pippen (5.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 23 games)
C Eddy Curry (14.7 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 73 games)
Change in team outlook: +8.7 ppg, +2.6 rpg, and +0.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

or if we need to...

Chicago trades: PF Jerome Williams (6.2 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.1 minutes)
SF Scottie Pippen (5.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 17.9 minutes)
C Eddy Curry (14.7 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 29.5 minutes)
Future 1st Round Draft Pick
Chicago receives: PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.4 minutes)
C Shawn Bradley (3.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.7 minutes)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 12.4 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -8.6 ppg, -4.3 rpg, and -0.7 apg.

Dallas trades: PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.4 minutes)
Dallas receives: PF Jerome Williams (6.2 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 68 games)
SF Scottie Pippen (5.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 23 games)
C Eddy Curry (14.7 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 73 games)
1st Round Draft Pick
Change in team outlook: +8.6 ppg, +4.3 rpg, and +0.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

mavs413
08-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by: XERXES

Im sure you were joking but, Ceballos is now a assistant coach for the Phoenix Mercury of the WNBA.
I met him last year at a Suns game and he is a nice guy, said he still wanted to play Pro ball. I dont think he was too serious about it though, because he looked really outta shape.

V
08-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by: mavs413

Im sure you were joking but, Ceballos is now a assistant coach for the Phoenix Mercury of the WNBA.
I met him last year at a Suns game and he is a nice guy, said he still wanted to play Pro ball. I dont think he was too serious about it though, because he looked really outta shape.

Good idea XERXES. Ceballos day is now Aug 15th. Please see above for other recent additions.

XERXES
08-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Now, I'd like a day for Robert Pack.

V
08-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Now, I'd like a day for Robert Pack.

August 21st. I'm already starting the research for my postings that day. I may set them to music.

V
08-03-2004, 12:02 AM
TODAY IS JASON TERRY DAY!

Aug 3 - Jason Terry - Anfernee hardaway is somewhat boring... so he only gets a half-day discussion. August 3rd is now Jason Terry day. The team is rebuilding and Terry wants out. The Hawks will have a number of suitors and urgently need to address some huge holes in their frontcourt. They can't move Terry without his permission until Sept 25th, but expect him to agree to almost anything at this point. Terry makes $7 million this year.

FolterKammer84
08-03-2004, 05:28 AM
terry is too much of a scorer in my opinion . if we really want dirk to take more shots and run the show we dont need any more guards that shoot first and then pass the ball

kriD
08-03-2004, 06:59 AM
Nice timing, V i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

(see "Walker to Atlanta"-Thread)

madape
08-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Nice timing V. But I have to say that I don't really appreciate board Nazis telling me who I can and cannot talk about. If I want to talk about Vince Carter and Jalen Rose today, I'm going to talk about them. I don't like it when guys open up threads and the very next post is some dude saying "Hey, you can't talk about that player until August 14th". That's bullshit. The fun of the offseason is wondering what the heck the Mavericks are doing. This crap takes all the fun out of it.

V
08-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Ape... If you didn't realize, this whole thread is tongue & cheek. I commented in those other threads because they sucked.

I like your posts. They're funny. If you want to talk about Vince Carter and Jalen Rose I'm sure you'll make up a thread that's more interesting than "Could we get Dampier?!" ... So get after it in your own thread & I won't bother you as long as you please don't sabotage my thread.

Today is Jason Terry day in this thread.

EDIT - Thanks for the compliment on the timing. I will PM the guy who started those threads... I don't mean to be a killjoy.

LRB
08-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by: V
TODAY IS JASON TERRY DAY!

V are your Vescey's "league source" on the Walker trade for Terry? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

EricaLubarsky
08-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Terry wanted to be a Maverick over a Hawk?

Im honored!

V
08-03-2004, 02:48 PM
I've made some changes to the plan based on several requests.

Aug 5 - Ron Artest - The SAR discussion gets postponed to next week since the Mavs traded for Jason Terry today. I've tentatively penciled in 'Reef for August 13th - but that could change. In the wake of the Terry deal, it's clear the Mavs are looking to get tougher and better defensively... and there's no one tougher than Ron Artest. But he only makes $6 million this year so getting him will be difficult. The Mavs are now loaded at the guard positions but one could argue that Finley, Stackhouse, Daniels, and Terry are all shooting guards. Would it be worth the gamble to add a legitimate experienced SF to the roster? If the Mavs don't get a center does it stand to reason that they need a banger at the three to compensate for a soft middle? Artest may be the guy...

Edit (LRB - I am Peter Vescey... don't you know??)

LRB
08-03-2004, 03:02 PM

Edit (LRB - I am Peter Vescey... don't you know??)

So the V is short for Vescey? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

jayC
08-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Madape learn to joke around once in a while. Don't take everything so personally.

MightyToine
08-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Terry wanted to be a Maverick over a Hawk?

Im honored!

Of course...that is also the equivalent of preferring steak over horse manure but hey...what do I know, right? *shrugs shoulders*

V
08-04-2004, 12:03 AM
The Jason Terry deal is done. One would think the next move would be for a banger to patrol the paint...

Good news:

TODAY IS Aug 4 - The Davis Brothers DAY - Antonio? Dale? Does it matter? Neither has much offensively. Neither are great shotblockers. Neither will get you 10 boards a game... but both can bang in the paint. Antonio makes about $12 million this year and $13 million next year. Chicago is in a shambles & word on the street has it that they want serious cap room in return. Dale's contract is a little better at $9 million expiring but beware... Dale anchored a Portland defense that ranked among the worst in the league last year.

grndmstr_c
08-04-2004, 12:14 AM
Dang, and I was all ready to talk about Artest.

V
08-04-2004, 10:16 AM
No interest in Dale or Antonio? Maybe you're content with running the Bradley/Booth/Benga in the middle?

LRB
08-04-2004, 10:20 AM
No interest in Dale or Antonio? Maybe you're content with running the Bradley/Booth/Benga in the middle?

Actually I'd much prefer to go with Bradley/Booth/Benga than add one of the Davis boys to the mix.

SeriousSummer
08-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Y'all aren't going to like this, but:

Michael Finley for Antonio Davis

With Stackhouse, Terry, Howard and Daniels, who are all cheaper, and arguably better, we don't need Michael anymore.

Antonio may not have much left in the tank, but his contract is two years shorter.

grndmstr_c
08-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Y'all aren't going to like this, but:

Michael Finley for Antonio Davis
You're right. I don't like it.

PlanoJ
08-04-2004, 12:48 PM
I think Antonio is fairly likely to be in a Mavs uniform next year. He could spot start at center and play back up there and at the 4. We could do a 3-1 or 3-2 to get him, thus trimming the roster. He was in the top 20 in boards last year and is a banger. And his contract will come off after the 05-06 year so he could be a bit of a trade chip next offseason. If we could get them to take Laetner and TAW or some other bad contract it would be a great trade.

LRB
08-04-2004, 12:57 PM
Antonio is too damn shot to be playing center with 5 6'11" or taller players on our roster. In fact he's too damn short to be playing center period. He's old and washed up and the only good thing about his contract is that it's over in 2 years. He's a natural PF and Dirk hogs, and rightfully so, most of the minutes at that position. It's stoopid to pay a max player to back up Dirk. If we could push TAW and Najera for him, then Maybe just to reduce roster spots, but that's it. I'd be madder than hell if we gave up any picks for that washed up piece of garbage.

V
08-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Aug 5 - Theo Ratliff - Late breaking news bumps a Ratliff discussion to the fore. Theo was a monster for the Blazers last year. Once Atlanta moved him to Portland as a part of the 'Sheed deal Ratliff's blocks per game increased from 2.5 - 3 early in the year to 5 through the whole month of February. His game improved to the extent he was recognized as second team All-Defense at center last year. A notable presence in the paint Ratliff changes games defensively. "Words can't explain what he [Ratliff] does for us," teamate Derek Anderson said. "He alone changes the outcome of every game we will play in." Does Ratliff provide what the Mavs need? He's 31 years old. He's an injury concern but he's been injury-free for two seasons. Ratliff's expiring ontract pays him $11 million this season so getting him will be difficult. but if Portland doesn't think they're in the playoff hunt this year it may be possible...

I do Howard, Hendu, Laettner, Stack + first round pick for Ratliff, Miles, Patterson. Is that enough?

As a side note - I love Darius Miles. Since he arrived in Potland he's been a pillar of consistency. He upped his scoring average as well as his field-goal percentage. But what has been most impressive for the Blazers' coaching staff has been his ability to play point-forward. The blazers were 8-2 when Miles records three or more assists.

Couple that with his Scottie Pippen-like potential on the defensive end (he can guard four positions) and you see why I'm enthusiastic about his potential...

V
08-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Theo Ratliff Day has Arrived

V
08-06-2004, 12:23 AM
It's Wally Sczerbiak Day

I'm shocked the were no RealGM's interested in a Ratliff deal... but "oh well."

Maybe this thread is done?

Done like Hendu? ...

Done like dry paint? ....

Done like Thanksgiving bread rolls? ...

Done like QCar? ...

Done like acid wash jeans?...

Done like nine layer bean dip? ...

Done like Acapulco? ...

Done like fine Corinthian leather? ...

Done like Ray Parker Junior? ...

Done like ...... er, or

Maybe this thread "never was" ...

sort of like the Mavs.

grndmstr_c
08-06-2004, 12:30 AM
A team could do worse than Wally, but he is so positionally redundant and not what we need it's not even funny. If we did some blockbuster in which Fin and Stack were both shipped off I'd consider Wally I guy worth looking at. Otherwise, I just don't see the point.

V
08-06-2004, 12:56 AM

SeriousSummer
08-06-2004, 09:37 AM
I think you need to add a Peja day somewhere along the way. Wally? Well, if y'all just went for my Finley for Antonio Davis deal, then we'd have a place to play him. We'd also save a good amount of money in '06-'07 and '07-'08--by that time Wally will be better than Fin anyway.

Something like Laettner or Henderson plus the silly sort of first round draft choice we got from Atlanta would be worth it, although Minnesota would really have to want to get rid of him to do that kind of deal.

V
08-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
I think you need to add a Peja day somewhere along the way. Wally? Well, if y'all just went for my Finley for Antonio Davis deal, then we'd have a place to play him. We'd also save a good amount of money in '06-'07 and '07-'08--by that time Wally will be better than Fin anyway.

Something like Laettner or Henderson plus the silly sort of first round draft choice we got from Atlanta would be worth it, although Minnesota would really have to want to get rid of him to do that kind of deal.

Peja is on the agenda for Ron Artest day. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Aug 16 - Ron Artest - The SAR discussion gets tabled since the Mavs traded for Jason Terry today. I've tentatively penciled in 'Reef for August 13th - but that could change. In the wake of the Terry deal, it's clear the Mavs are looking to get tougher and better defensively... and there's no one tougher than Ron Artest. But he only makes $6 million this year so getting him will be difficult. The Mavs are now loaded at the guard positions but one could argue that Finley, Stackhouse, Daniels, and Terry are all shooting guards. Would it be worth the gamble to add a legitimate experienced SF to the roster? If the Mavs don't get a center does it stand to reason that they need a banger at the three to compensate for a soft middle? Artest may be the guy... But here's what this day is really about: there's talk of Artest for Peja Stojakovic. Would the Mavs be more interested in the Serbian sharpshooter? Can the Mavs get in the middle of such an exchange? V says "Don't rule it out."

---

Sczerbiak's stock is extremely low right now. Maybe the league has forgotten he's one of the top five shooters in the league... he's sort of like a poor man's Stojakovic.

fin4life
08-06-2004, 12:47 PM
I am a big wally fan. He was by far my favorite college player when playing for miami of ohio. I just dont see where he fits here unless the deal goes something like this:

Dallas trades: SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
SF Jon Stefansson (3.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 12.4 minutes)
Dallas receives: SG Wally Szczerbiak (10.2 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.2 apg in 22.2 minutes)
C Michael Olowokandi (6.5 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 0.6 apg in 21.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -3.5 ppg, -0.1 rpg, and -2.9 apg.

Minnesota trades: SG Wally Szczerbiak (10.2 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.2 apg in 22.2 minutes)
Minnesota receives: SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 26 games)
C Shawn Bradley (3.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 66 games)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 58 games)
SF Jon Stefansson (3.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 58 games)
Change in team outlook: +3.5 ppg, +0.1 rpg, and +2.9 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Minny would throw in a Draft Pick becasue they are clearly getting more talent. I would only do this deal if we got a 1st rounder.

BTW- the only reason I dont do this deal is becasue wally's contract is a year too long. If his last year is a team option then I would pull the trigger.

Finley4ever
08-06-2004, 12:54 PM
The only way it makes sense to get Wally and give him sufficient playing time is to trade 2 of our swingmen. Howard and Stackhouse works, but I wouldn't do that.

fin4life
08-06-2004, 12:59 PM
does realGM consider the mavs newly Aquired TE. I have a deal that would work if it was used, but realGM wont let is work.

Dallas trades: SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: SG Wally Szczerbiak (10.2 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.2 apg in 22.2 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -9.1 ppg, -2.9 rpg, and -4.0 apg.

Minnesota trades: SG Wally Szczerbiak (10.2 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.2 apg in 22.2 minutes)
Minnesota receives: SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 26 games)
C Shawn Bradley (3.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 66 games)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)
Change in team outlook: +9.1 ppg, +2.9 rpg, and +4.0 apg.

A first Round PIck is also going to the mavericks in this deal.

I wouldnt pull the trigger, but I would have to consider it.

V
08-07-2004, 01:23 AM
IT'S BIG Z DAY

Aug 7 - Zydrunus Ilgauskas - Big Z. Nelly loves him. To some Z has it all: $14.6 million expiring contract, ability to score in the paint, 2.5 blocks per game. To others he's a great white stiff (with bad feet). It's rumored that he's on the block... but at what cost?

Boring. Cle wants to extend Ilgauskas. There's likely nothing for Mavs fans to get excited about.

fin4life
08-07-2004, 12:19 PM
I would give henerson/L8/Howard and a second rounder for him.
I would also replace stack for Henderson if we took out Howard making it: Stack/L8 and draft pick

jayC
08-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Laetner, stackhouse and a number one to cleveland for Big Z. Big Z would become the second best center in the West south of Yao Ming.

EricaLubarsky
08-21-2004, 09:28 PM
Aug 21 - Erik Dampier - We're getting close to trade day & if Damp is still available you really have to wonder. Could he be a Mav?

I think we've done enough talk on Dampier already. Let's devote today to other trades and analysis.

V
08-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Good idea EL... I'm starting to get excited to find out what the Damp deal eventually looks like. There could be a third team involved and there are still some loose ends we haven't figured out yet.

We already have two of the "original post" guys in the bag. With the new roster mix the Mavs' needs have changed drastically. For me it a hinges on Stackhouse. If he's staying the options are limited for another big acquisition. If he's going there's tons to talk about. Peja, Artest, KVH, Tim Thomas, Kurt Thomas, Sczerbiak, Rose, Mash, VC, SAR, Pierce and others could all be in play.

fin4life
08-21-2004, 10:22 PM
I think that we should pretend that it is either aug. 11,12,or 14 because i think those are the most likely trade targets IMO (although SAR is considerable less likely than the others)

I think KVH or TT would help this team a lot. I am one of the few people that think Tim THomas is a real possiblity but you gotta look at who has him. THE KNICKS. he is a guy that will make 27mil over the next two years on a team that has a 100mil dollar payroll. We could help them out also my taking another contract that they dont really want (Jerome Williams) while giving them some talent and expiring contracts. Stack/Hendu/Booth/Steff for TT/ Jerome Williams would be nice. The only problem it deals with 4 players that have already been traded this summer so it is hard to get done.

EricaLubarsky
08-21-2004, 11:08 PM
I dont want SAR here.

Nash13
08-21-2004, 11:12 PM
fin4life, wouldn't that trade contradict what we're trading for? We're trading away a small forward just to add another. Although i do like the idea of Williams behind Dirk.

fin4life
08-22-2004, 10:47 AM
i dont think it contridicts what we are doing. stack is mostly a 2 anyway. I think an athletic 6'10" SF that can defend and score is just what we need. He could also play PF which is something that stack definetly couldnt do. Also... if dirk went down (knock on wood), we would still have a decent lineup with terry/daniels/Fin/TT/Damp with howard, williams, harris and bradley off the bench

V
08-22-2004, 11:11 AM
More fodder for the discussion:

If the Dampier deal goes down like most of us expect the Mavs will generate a new $3.8 million trade exception (from Najera) that could be used to land another player. Combine that with Hendu's $8.27 million expiring contract and the Mavs could offer over $12 million in cap relief -- $3.8 of which is instant while 80% of $8.27 is paid by insurance.

Who are the notable some F's who make close to $12 mil per year? Marion, Tim Thomas, Paul Pierce, and Vince Carter.

Simon2
08-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Please stop with the Kandiman trades. He and Nash have the same agent.

fin4life
08-22-2004, 11:31 AM
More fodder for the discussion:

If the Dampier deal goes down like most of us expect the Mavs will generate a new $3.8 million trade exception (from Najera) that could be used to land another player. Combine that with Hendu's $8.27 million expiring contract and the Mavs could offer over $12 million in cap relief -- $3.8 of which is instant while 80% of $8.27 is paid by insurance.

Who are the notable some F's who make close to $12 mil per year? Marion, Tim Thomas, Paul Pierce, and Vince Carter.

well... no team needs cap relief like NY and one of those players does play for them. The problem... can a team combine a TE with a player? I though not. If so... the knicks might want J-ho/hendu/TE. I dont think that that is a terrible proce to pay... but some might. Also...it could be done today soon. Hendu/TE straight up for thomas. Then Howard can be trade for a TE/2nd rounder (I think NY has TE from PHO or CHI)

Nellie
08-22-2004, 11:43 AM
Who the heck is Hendu??

V2M
08-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by: Nellie
Who the heck is Hendu??

Alan Henderson. We got him in the Walker/Terry trade from Atlanta.

DevinHarriswillstart
08-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by: Simon2
Please stop with the Kandiman trades. He and Nash have the same agent.

Yeah, too bad Kandi only got the midlevel. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

V
08-22-2004, 02:55 PM
We still haven't figured out a few major things:

1. If the Damp deal goes down as advertised the Mavs will have too many players under contract. I'm not one who says we can simply "buy out" a player. That's rarely done in the NBA and it's not something I would expect from Cuban. Players and contracts have value (even if only to facilitate other deals) and they're not something I'm wild about giving up for nothing.

2. What in the world is Dickau doing in this deal?

3. Will there be a minute crunch at the swing positions? If Harris is going to get time this year that means Daniels won't get much time at PG. It also means the Mavs will have Daniels, Finley, Stackhouse, and howard competing for 96 minutes at SF/SG.

4. Will the Mavs look to use Henderson's $8.2 mil expiring? ... And what about the $3.8 mil TE they'll get from GSW?

5. Who is going to get 10-12 minutes backing up the PF? Booth, DJ, Henderson ... should be capable in certain situations. Josh Howard might be able to compete there too.

There are only a few scenarios I've figured out that would answer all these questions. I'm not in favor of all of them... but some look to have tremendous upside. For example ...

Hendu, Howard, Dickau, 3.8 TE (from najera) for KVH

... might work for Dallas & Mil. I like Van Horn because he can get Howard's minutes at SF and also 10 minutes at PF. He's a very efficient scorer and a league average defender at the SF (PER rating against of 15) ... he struggles defensively against PFs but his scoring makes up for it (and he's no worse than Dirk anyway) ... KVH is a very efficient scorer, rebounder, and an excellent 3 pt shooter.