PDA

View Full Version : Vince Carter asked for trade two weeks ago?

Evilmav2
08-06-2004, 10:18 AM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:69f4GP_RwQYJ:courtsidebasketball.deep-ice.com/newwebimages/carter2_254_020727.jpg
Raps asked to trade star
Carter's agent met with T.O. brass

By CP AND AP

Vince Carter met with Toronto Raptors management two weeks ago and asked the club to explore trade possibilities, his agent told the New York Daily News. "We did meet and asked them to look into trades," Mark Steinberg was quoted yesterday. "They know where we stand."

Steinberg would neither confirm nor deny reports Carter wants to go to New York. But last week, a person close to Carter told the Daily News he "absolutely wants to be traded to the Knicks."

Raptors GM Rob Babcock has said Carter, who has four years remaining on his contract, is an integral part of his team. Still, the Daily News reports the Knicks and Raptors have had preliminary discussions regarding Carter and would likely have to include a third or even fourth team to make a deal.

Carter asks for trade (http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/Sports/2004/08/06/570856.html)

madape
08-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Word is out: Vince vexed

CARTER'S AGENT ASKS RAPTORS TO TRADE DISGRUNTLED SUPERSTAR, BUT GM BABCOCK SAYS NO 'THIRD PARTY' WILL FORCE HAND

By MARK KEAST, TORONTO SUN

VINCE CARTER'S agent has launched the latest salvo in an ongoing saga with the Raptors organization, perhaps purposely heightening a battle of wills over the future of the five-time all-star. Mark Steinberg was quoted yesterday in the New York Daily News with what can safely be described as confirmation of what most people have been believing, that Carter has asked the Raptors to trade him. It's the first time someone from Carter's inner circle has come out with such a definitive statement regarding the star's apparent dissatisfaction with the organization.

"We did meet and asked them to look into trades," Steinberg told the paper. "They know where we stand."

However Raptors general manager Rob Babcock told The Toronto Sun yesterday he won't be boxed in by "third party" sources.

"No one is going to force me to make a trade," Babcock said. "This is not forcing our hand. I can't speculate (on Steinberg's motivation). Seriously, I'd be crazy (to worry about Steinberg's comments)."

It has been widely rumoured that Carter wants a trade to the New York Knicks. The Knicks wouldn't confirm yesterday whether they have spoken to the Raptors about Carter.

"He's not a free agent. We're not allowed to talk to other team's players," a Knicks spokesman said. "I'm not even aware of anything with the Raptors."

Steinberg was travelling yesterday and could not be reached for comment.

The Carter story has droned on in a summer where other high-profile NBA stars have forced management to deal them, namely Shaquille O'Neal, traded to the Miami Heat from the Los Angeles Lakers, and Tracy McGrady, who declared he was fed up with the situation in Orlando and was dealt to the Houston Rockets by the Magic in another multi-player deal.

Babcock was asked yesterday how he could convince fans to buy into the team with all the uncertainty regarding its main player.

"Vince is under contract to us, so we've got certainty," he said. "It is not the ideal situation. But I've made it very clear the only way I would trade any player on our team is if it's a trade that makes us a better team. Obviously there's nothing out there or we would have done it. I'm very confident that Vince is on the same page as (new coach) Sam Mitchell and myself regarding basketball philosophies. Vince is a professional. He's a good person.

"There's nothing going on behind the scenes as far as I'm concerned."

Babcock said he has an average of three or four conversations a day with other GMs about players, Carter-specific or not.

"I'm just taking care of what I can do," he said. "You never have complete certainty regarding what your roster is going to be heading into camp, whether there's a player making noises about wanting to be traded or not.

"Like I've said all along, we want Vince to be on our basketball team. To me, our team is set."

Drbio
08-06-2004, 01:43 PM
I hope they trade him to Golden State or some other team far away from where he wants to go. I'm tired of players thinking they can just demand to be traded when they don't get their way. They should have thought about that before signing the damn contract. They are all a bunch of overpaid crybabies.

Let Vince rot in some city he hates.

LRB
08-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by: Drbio
I hope they trade him to Golden State or some other team far away from where he wants to go. I'm tired of players thinking they can just demand to be traded when they don't get their way. They should have thought about that before signing the damn contract. They are all a bunch of overpaid crybabies.

Vince to Utah maybe? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Evilmav2
08-06-2004, 03:20 PM
If Steinberg and Carter are able to ratchet up the pressure on the Raptors enough that the Babcock is finally forced to trade Vince, I wouldn't be surprised to see John Nash up in Portland make a strong attempt to steal him.

Portland has movable pieces (most notably Shareef), and they are in desperate need of shooting guard help. They lost out on Brent Barry and then Trenton Hassell in free agency, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Nash try to swing a Shareef + draft pick(s) deal to bring Air Canada to the Pacific Northwest...

Murphy3
08-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by: LRB

Vince to Utah maybe? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

I'm not sure it's in the best interest of the Mavs to hope that their competition in the West gets stronger.

V2M
08-06-2004, 04:44 PM

I agree. It's sickening to see the alarming number of highly-paid players trying to force their way out within a year or two after signing a big contract. First they take the biggest contract they are offered disregarding loyalty, friendships, etc. After a year or two when things don't seem to go well for whatever reason (chemistry, wins, minutes, etc.) they want out. That's very selfish and highly unfair to their fans. Imagine Dirk seeking a trade 'cuz we didn't sign Nash or some such!!

Evilmav2
08-06-2004, 04:49 PM
Imagine Dirk seeking a trade 'cuz we didn't sign Nash or some such!!

According to the Indianapolis Star, when the Pacers and Mavs were having trade discussions about Brad Miller last Summer, Dirk called Cuban from Germany to essentially tell him, "If you trade Nash, you may as well trade me".

I have no idea how accurate that report was, but methinks it would have been highly interesting to have seen just how Dirk would have reacted if we had in fact sent Nash to Indiana in a Miller deal last year...

Max Power
09-17-2004, 02:15 AM
Associated Press
TORONTO -- All-Star guard Vince Carter wants out of Toronto, but the Raptors' new general manager says he isn't going anywhere.

"It doesn't change anything with us," Rob Babcock told The Associated Press on Thursday. "He's under contract with our team. We expect him to fulfill all obligations of the contract."

In his strongest remarks yet, Carter told the Toronto Star in Thursday's editions that "It's time for the truth: I want to be traded." Carter also said in a letter to fans posted on his Web site that he's not eager to wait while the team rebuilds.

"My frustration comes from the fact that we have not been able to create an equation to win ballgames," Carter wrote. "I am at the point in my career where I do not have time to wait two to four years for a team to mature."

Carter remains one of the NBA's most popular players because of his highlight-reel dunks, but he has lost some of his explosiveness over the last four years because of knee injuries.

Carter, who has four years remaining on his contract, ducked questions about his future with the team when he was in Toronto for his annual charity all-star game in July. But Carter's agent, Mark Steinberg, said a week later his client asked the Raptors to explore trade possibilities.

Babcock, hired in June, acknowledged the trade demand is an "issue" for the franchise, but he said "it's not really an issue" because he's under contract.

"Is it the ideal way going to camp? No," Babcock said. "But it's really not the nightmare that other people think it is. Would I'd rather he was here without making any public statements and that he was 100 percent behind everything here, yeah absolutely, but he's under contract and I think Vince is a good person, and I think he'll be professional and do what he's supposed to do and fulfill his job."

Babcock hopes the five-time All-Star will give his new regime a chance. The Raptors haven't made the playoffs the past two seasons and Sam Mitchell will be Carter's third coach in three years.

"If he comes in with an open mind that's all we want," Babcock said. "He hasn't had an opportunity to play under this system and see what it's like to be a part of this basketball team. This is a whole new era."

bernardos70
09-17-2004, 06:02 PM
What have we come to. I like Drbio's suggestion: let him rot away on some team he hates. These guys make more money on one contract than most of us will make in a lifetime. None of them deserve this much money. What a cry baby.

vinnieponte
09-17-2004, 06:11 PM
evilman, off topic but how does bradley constitue being called a "legend"? Michael Jordan is a legend, Bradley is and will be an ok player.

seal614
09-18-2004, 02:18 PM
*sarcasm

Evilmav2
09-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by: vinnieponte
evilman, off topic but how does bradley constitue being called a "legend"? Michael Jordan is a legend, Bradley is and will be an ok player.

http://www.coolcitiesusa.com/dfw/dfw2/about/sports/mavericks/2003/images/heidi/022604/bradley1648520a.jpg
How can Big Shawn be called a legend? The Man is the All-Time Leading Shot-blocker in Mavericks history, a two-time NBA Shot-blocking champion, and might easily have won more of them if Nelson hadn't restricted his minutes over the last couple of seasons. He is a game changing, super-charged defensive beast of a player, who is easily the most athletic "Giant" ( barring perhaps, the "Man Mountain" Mark Eaton) who has ever played in the NBA, and his quadruple-double (one of four players in the history of the game to have achieved one), and paired back-to-back triple doubles are certainly feats of legend...

This legend's jersey will eventually hang proudly in the rafters of the American Airlines Center, and my bet is that he will retire with a well-earned championship ring or two, before his singularly impressive NBA career is over.

fin4life
09-21-2004, 12:09 AM
evil, I love your argument here. Bradely has done some pretty amzing things in his career, but still gets no credit. Maybe he isnt exactly a legend and wont get his jersey retired, but he is more underrated by the average fan than any other player in mavs history. This board is the only place where I have seen more than 25% of the people think that bradely is good. All my friends think he sucks. I love bradely... maybe he is a legend.

MavKikiNYC
09-21-2004, 10:04 AM
Ouch, ouch, ouch. VC's value is takin' a beatin'.

Francis-for-Carter deal doesn't thrill Weisbrod

By Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted September 21, 2004

Vince Carter wants to replace cousin Tracy McGrady as the leader and star of the Orlando Magic.

It's not going to happen.

Carter, from Daytona Beach Mainland High, is growing increasingly disgruntled in Toronto, where he has spent the first six years of his NBA career establishing himself as a star.

He asked for a trade earlier this summer, making it clear to both the Raptors and the Magic that his destination of first choice for a new home would be Orlando.

Although the two teams have had preliminary talks about Carter, the Magic do not have the interest it would take to make it happen. In any deal for Carter, the Raptors want another all-star, which with the Magic would be newly acquired point guard Steve Francis.

"There just aren't many scenarios you could draw up where we'd be a better team in acquiring him," Magic General Manager John Weisbrod said, "not when you factor in whom we would have to trade. I can say in no uncertain terms, we would not trade Steve Francis for Vince Carter."

Carter averaged 22.5 points last season compared with 16.6 points for Francis, who was acquired from Houston in the multi-player trade of McGrady earlier this summer. Both Carter and Francis are all-stars, but in the eyes of Weisbrod, there is no comparison.

"The more I'm around him, the more I'm a Steve Francis guy," Weisbrod said. "Don't get me wrong, Vince is an unbelievable athlete, but I'd rather have Steve Francis. Steve is a warrior."

Like a lot of teams, the Magic are concerned about Carter's toughness and his ability to make those around him better. The Raptors won just 24 and 33 games the past two seasons.

Carter's desire to return to his home state to play isn't going to happen anytime soon. Heat President Pat Riley also expressed little interest last week in Carter.

Carter wasn't available to comment. He was expected to be at the Tracy McGrady charity softball game Saturday at Walt Disney Wide World of Sports, but he canceled that appearance.

alby
09-21-2004, 12:45 PM
deservingly so, vc is one of the most overrated players in the history of the nba=\

(i hope this stirs up something)

MavsFanFinley
09-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Link (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball/NBA/Toronto/2004/09/21/637887.html)

Babcock's phone still isn't ringing

By STEVE BUFFERY -- Toronto Sun

A number of NBA general managers have contacted the Raptors to express interest in acquiring Vince Carter. Unfortunately for Carter, that number happens to be zero.

"I haven't had one call," Raptors GM Rob Babcock said, when asked yesterday about interest around the league in his disgruntled superstar.

"And there is no reason for them (to call) because they know what our stance is," Babcock said. "They know what we're looking for in any trade involving our players."

In Carter's case, Babcock won't consider a trade unless he is offered a deal that will substantially improve the Raptors. Trading a star such as Carter, who will make $12.6 million US this season, for equal value in a league with a salary cap is difficult to say the least, particularly when the GM is not in a hurry to make the move.

Carter publicly announced last week that he wants to be traded from the Raptors after spending the summer letting his agent, mother and various friends make the demands for him.

Putting an even bigger gun to Babcock's head, Carter's agent, Mark Steinberg, said that his client would likely only accept a trade to a team in the Eastern Conference.

Not that any of that has thrown Babcock for a loop. The first year Raptors GM said that serious interest in Carter has been pretty quiet all summer.

"Vince's comments don't change anything," Babcock said. "Word was already out on the streets that he wanted out."

With NBA training camps opening in a mere two weeks, most teams have already solidified their rosters.

Mark Cuban, owner for the Dallas Mavericks, told the FAN 590 yesterday that his organization contacted the Raptors earlier in the summer to inquire about Carter, but are no longer interested.

"Right after we lost Steve Nash, we actually did talk to the Raptors, and they made it clear that they weren't interested in trading Vince," Cuban told the FAN's Chuck Swirsky. "But that was before we got Jason Terry (a guard from Atlanta)."

The Raptors announced yesterday the signing of forward Matt Bonner, a second-round pick with the Chicago Bulls in 2003. The 6-foot-10, 240-pound Bonner played for Sicilia in the Italian A1 League last season, where he averaged 19.2 points and 9.3 rebounds per game. The deal is reportedly a one-year, non-guaranteed contract worth about $400,000. Bonner averaged 10.4 points and 6.8 rebounds for the Raptors in the Minneapolis Summer League.

"I really like him, he's got a chance to make the team" Babcock said. "He's a hard worker, he's physical, aggressive and he's a 6-foot-10 guy who can shoot the three, which is a very valuable asset to have."

mary
09-21-2004, 06:57 PM
How can Big Shawn be called a legend? The Man is the All-Time Leading Shot-blocker in Mavericks history, a two-time NBA Shot-blocking champion, and might easily have won more of them if Nelson hadn't restricted his minutes over the last couple of seasons. He is a game changing, super-charged defensive beast of a player, who is easily the most athletic "Giant" ( barring perhaps, the "Man Mountain" Mark Eaton) who has ever played in the NBA, and his quadruple-double (one of four players in the history of the game to have achieved one), and paired back-to-back triple doubles are certainly feats of legend...

his whootey whatin? i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

Evilmav2
09-22-2004, 03:52 AM
Whoops... Sorry, I jumbled my memory in the previous post... Bradley wasn't one of the four NBA players (David Robinson, Nate Thurmond, Alvin Robertson, and Hakeem Olajuwon) who have recorded quadruple doubles since blocks and steals started being recorded in 1973, but he did come close back when he was in Philly (he came within 4 steals and a block, if my obviously faulty memory serves), so I will replace my earlier false claim with other legendary Bradley facts:

Big Shawn became just the fifth player in NBA history and first off the bench to tally 20-plus points, 20-plus rebounds and 10-plus blocks in a single game (also Abdul-Jabbar, Olajuwon, Elvin Hayes, and Shaquille O'Neal), he was the first NBA player to record double-figure blocks in two consecutive games on two separate occasions (in 95-96), he has scored more points in a game than any Mavericks center (32), has snagged more rebounds in a single game than any other Maverick in history (22), and he has recorded more blocks in a game than any Maverick in team history (13)...