PDA

View Full Version : What Dampier Wants

mediocre_life
08-09-2004, 05:08 AM
Damp said "You get to a certain point in your life where the money's not a factor and you just want to win," Dampier told The Associated Press. "I'm not getting any younger and I want to be in the playoffs so I have a chance to compete for a championship".

If he want a ring and money is not a factor, he better go to dallas and sign for a mid level exception contract.

V2M
08-09-2004, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by: mediocre_life
Damp said "You get to a certain point in your life where the money's not a factor and you just want to win," Dampier told The Associated Press. "I'm not getting any younger and I want to be in the playoffs so I have a chance to compete for a championship".

If he want a ring and money is not a factor, he better go to dallas and sign for a mid level exception contract.

We don't have the MLE... it's given to Daniels.

Poindexter Einstein
08-09-2004, 05:32 AM
Db.com article in another thread had a ton of ways the Mavs might could get him via sign-n-trade, if they are willing to pay his contract.

Since Aug 24 is so close, and he still hasnt signed anywhere, it makes you wonder if the Mavs already have him lined up.

Drbio
08-09-2004, 08:15 AM
Agreed PE. There is a move coming on the 24th or within a day or so of it. It very well could be Dampier.

madape
08-09-2004, 08:51 AM
transalation - "I'm not playing in Atlanta unless no one else offers me anything. Golden State's not doing a sign and trade, so I'll sign a one year doeal with ANYONE who still has their MLE. Anyone? Anyone? Hello??!??"

Dooby
08-09-2004, 09:13 AM
This is turning into a fiasco of Stephen Jackson proportions.

kg_veteran
08-09-2004, 09:24 AM
This is turning into a fiasco of Stephen Jackson proportions.

Classic.

XERXES
08-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
Db.com article in another thread had a ton of ways the Mavs might could get him via sign-n-trade, if they are willing to pay his contract.

Since Aug 24 is so close, and he still hasnt signed anywhere, it makes you wonder if the Mavs already have him lined up.

I've been thinking the same exact thing. Quite a coinkidink...

EricaLubarsky
08-09-2004, 08:36 PM
give him 2 years for Stackhouse-like numbers. We can do with the center what we are doing with the point- training the rookies with training wheels.

nowitzki_prophecy
08-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Can you also package JT and Henderson at the 24th?

fin4life
08-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by: nowitzki_prophecy
Can you also package JT and Henderson at the 24th?

that day comes on october 4... 60 days after getting them.

EricaLubarsky
08-09-2004, 08:50 PM
More likely
Henderson and TE go on their own
Stackhouse/Laettner/TAW/Bradley go as part of a package

Fin4life is correct though- it'll be a while before we can package Henderson and Terry but Henderson is fairly tradable on his own, which we can do.

TE for Evan Eschmeyer
Henderson and 2.4million Cash consideration for Dampier.

Kid California
08-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Did NY use their MLE on Vin Baker????? Man the 24th, thats gives him a lot of time to decide to back out on his claim to play for a contender and join the Hawks.

jayC
08-09-2004, 10:17 PM
There are conflicting reports out of NY. Over on the vin baker side of things they said they were close to signing a year 3.5 million dollar deal. Isiah said not so fast its closer to 1.6 million only time will tell with that one. Isiah later said they still had the MLE, but were trying to sign and trade him fat chance for more money. Prediction he takes less money via sign and trade to Dallas.

Dirkenstien
08-09-2004, 10:36 PM
I can see Dampier either going to Indiana or Dallas and him having a higher preference of landing in Indiana considering the fact that its the Eastern Conference and he would be paired up with Jermain O'neal as well as playing for a great team.

If Indiana lands Damp and then makes some type of trade happen for Stojakovic...wow, watch out.

Nash13
08-10-2004, 12:06 PM
I have a strong feeling Dampier will be a Mav next season. It's been over a month since teams could talk to him, so if he were going to Indy/Mem/NYK/ATL/etc, he would've already signed with them.

DevinHarriswillstart
08-10-2004, 03:18 PM
Wishful thinking Nash13. All reports say that we're not interested though. Only Norm thinks we are.

vinnieponte
08-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by: DevinHarriswillstart
Wishful thinking Nash13. All reports say that we're not interested though. Only Norm thinks we are.

I think we have a good chance, and if I remmember correctly we were supposed to make moves this offseason for defense so there's a really good chance we will see him here and secondly when are you gonna change your name?

madape
08-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Dampier has a better chance of joining Quincy Carter in the welfare line than he does joining Mavericks. The Mavs have no interest. They've already added 4 centers this summer that they like better.

Murphy3
08-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by: madape
Dampier has a better chance of joining Quincy Carter in the welfare line than he does joining Mavericks. The Mavs have no interest. They've already added 4 centers this summer that they like better.

Mavs fans are in serious trouble if they actually like their newly added centers better than they like Dampier.

I suppose that there's plenty of room alongside Shawn Bradley on the bench.

dirk2003
08-10-2004, 03:51 PM

But they are still missing a STARTING CENTER that can play 30 minutes!

Dirkenstien
08-10-2004, 04:22 PM
The centers we currently have are either good backup centers or are good developmental centers; we need a starting center.

madape
08-10-2004, 04:42 PM
I'd rather start Bradley than Dampier. It's questionable whether Dump is even a starting NBA center. In my opinion, he is the worst starting center of the last decade. One year of good rebounding for a woefully bad team decimated by frontcourt injuries and attrition combined with a career of ineptitude does not a legit starter make. Dump is the definition of fools gold. He'd not worth half of the mid-level exception, much less a sign and trade and the lengthy, high dollar contract that it would require. Aquiring him would mean that he'd be here for at least three years. Trust me, the last thing the Mavs want is Dump doing his thing here for the next three years (Dump's "thing" throughout his career has been stinking up the court, costing a hell of a lot of money, and frustrating fans to no end). Halfway into that contract, the Mavs plan on having either Pavel or MBenga contributing big time. What we need is a transitional figure. One that can contribute defensively and on the glass, and who won't cause problems. We have three centers on the roster now that have been here before, that know the system, and that can contribute right away. Bradley, Booth, and Laettner will be able to contribute quicker, better, and with less off-court headache than Dump ever could. We know that all three will be successful because all three will be successful in the past. It's

Poindexter Einstein
08-10-2004, 04:57 PM
All reports say that we're not interested though. Only Norm thinks we are.

No one knows who the Mavs are interested in. Their interest is only discovered AFTER a trade is made. They could be swapping 100 proposals a day back and forth with GS already, and no one would know about it.

FilthyFinMavs
08-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
The centers we currently have are either good backup centers or are good developmental centers; we need a starting center.

12/12 is a helluva starting center don't you think? Bring him in if he's willing to sign for a contract that's 3 years at the most. If he doesn't pan out then ship. We've seen the Mavs get rid of Eschmeyer and Lafrentz. I don't see why they can't get rid of Damp.

FilthyFinMavs
08-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein

All reports say that we're not interested though. Only Norm thinks we are.

No one knows who the Mavs are interested in. Their interest is only discovered AFTER a trade is made. They could be swapping 100 proposals a day back and forth with GS already, and no one would know about it.

I agree strongly here. I mean who ever said we were interested in Walker, Juwan, Jamison or Terry? Whoever the Mavs have interest in will never leak out. For all we know the Mavs organization is just feeding out bull so it won't look as if they have failed when a guy they want goes to another team.

madape
08-10-2004, 05:03 PM
I'd rather start Bradley than Dampier. Based on both player's careers, Bradley is a better player and a better fit for this team.

It's questionable whether Dump is even a starting NBA center. In my opinion, he has been the worst starting center of the last decade. One year of good rebounding for a woefully bad team decimated by frontcourt injuries and attrition combined with an eight year career of absolute ineptitude does not a legit starter make. Dump is the definition of fools gold. He'd not worth half of the mid-level exception, much less a sign and trade and the lengthy, high dollar contract that it would require. Aquiring him would mean that he'd be here for at least three years. Trust me, the last thing the Mavs want is Dump doing his thing here for the next three years (Dump's "thing" being stinking up the court, costing a hell of a lot of money, and frustrating fans to no end).

Halfway into that contract, the Mavs plan on having either Pavel or MBenga contributing big-time. We don't want to see a overpaid turd like Dump taking minutes away from PAvel and Mbenga any more than we'd want Antawn Jamison d taking minutes away from Josh Howard (And Dump is no Antawn Jamison). What we need is a transitional center, someone who can immmediately contribute defensively and on the glass, who won't mind relinquishing his duties when our young guys are ready, and someone who won't cause problems. We have three centers on the roster now that have been here before, who know the system, and who can contribute right away. We know that Bradley, Booth, and Laettner will be successful for us next year because all three have been successful here in the past.

It's foolish to chase under the skirts of ever two bit spare center that makes himself available, when we have boatloads of good shotblocking centers on our roster right now. Building a winning franchise means making intelligent moves. It means being patient with your young players. It means not investing years of your franchise into a spare-ass walking turd like Dumpier. There is a reason he can't even get the knicks to offer up the MLE. There is a reason only one team in the NBA is offering him a contract at all. It's because he sucks. He sucks. He sucks. He sucks. I can't say that enough. The dude is a spare. I don't want him to be a Maverick. I don't want to see his name associated with any trade rumors involving the Mavericks. I'm getting sick and f*cking tired of seeing his name discussed in every dumb-ass thread in every Maverick forum on the internet.

If we trade anything for this man, and I mean anything, it would be the biggest mistake this franchise has made since aquiring Eric Montross. Thankfully, it appears Cuban, the Nelsons, and the rest of the organization has no interest is this overblown spare. Competence from Maverick management means I can sleep well at night.

vinnieponte
08-10-2004, 05:07 PM
I'll take Dampier over Bradley everytime. Alot of people blame Nellie for Shawn's preformance ye Shawn has had how many years again to prove himself. Yes he is a great size yet he doesn't use any of it to his advantage, there is plenty of smaller Centers, hell even players who are true bangers and play the d better than him. I say Bradley is out and we need Dampier, just casue we have a full bench of Centers doesn't mean anything except alot of warm seats. These guys need time to develop and play at a nba level so there chance is good but they wont bring anything this first year, thats more than I can say about Bradley, his time is done.

FilthyFinMavs
08-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by: vinnieponte
I'll take Dampier over Bradley everytime. Alot of people blame Nellie for Shawn's preformance ye Shawn has had how many years again to prove himself. Yes he is a great size yet he doesn't use any of it to his advantage, there is plenty of smaller Centers, hell even players who are true bangers and play the d better than him. I say Bradley is out and we need Dampier, just casue we have a full bench of Centers doesn't mean anything except alot of warm seats. These guys need time to develop and play at a nba level so there chance is good but they wont bring anything this first year, thats more than I can say about Bradley, his time is done.

Bradley will be a great backup off the bench and 6 extra fouls. I don't blame Nellie for Shawn's poor performances. I blame his inconsistency. If he would play like he does most nights against Yao Ming i'm sure he'd get pt. But he's too inconsistent for my blood. I don't know what Dampier can do. For all I know he can be a Jim Mclivaine or Kandi man in the making. But i'm also willing to risk. What is it the Mavs have to lose? A roster spot?

jayC
08-10-2004, 05:24 PM
As usual man love for shawn continues. Even though at his best he is a situational player. 48 minute averages mean nothing unless you play 48 minutes. 12 points and 12 rebounds are hard numbers to come by in the NBA. Even if Damp degressed 8 points and 8 rebounds a game would be perfect for this team.

madape
08-10-2004, 05:31 PM
If given 35 minutes, Shawn could be sleepwalking on the court and still average 8 points and and 8 rebounds... AND block three shots, shut down guard penetration, protect the basket, and put a few flagrant fouls down on some weak ass bitches heads.

You are right, 48 minute stats mean nothing unless you play 48 minutes. But every time Shawn is given significant minutes, he produces, and produces at a level that would humiliate Dump.

You don't take minutes AWAY from productive players, you give minutes TO productive players. It's not a hard concept. We will win if Shawn starts at the five for us next year, as we have always won when he anchors our center rotation.

FilthyFinMavs
08-10-2004, 05:36 PM
If given 35 minutes, Shawn could be sleepwalking on the court and still average 8 points and and 8 rebounds... AND block three shots, shut down guard penetration, protect the basket, and put a few flagrant fouls down on some weak ass bitches heads.

You are right, 48 minute stats mean nothing unless you play 48 minutes. But every time Shawn is given significant minutes, he produces, and produces at a level that would humiliate Dump.

You don't take minutes AWAY from productive players, you give minutes TO productive players. It's not a hard concept. We will win if Shawn starts at the five for us next year, as we have always won when he anchors our center rotation.

I agree. If we get Bradley to start for us next season we will win more games than we did last season when we were just relying on outscoring our opponents. But imagine if we had a real center. A guy built like a building. A guy who put up 12/12 last season. Numbers Bradley can't even dream about. you play Damp at the 5 Dirk would be so much of a better player it would be ridiculous. No more having to rely on Dirk to man the paint for us. No more of Dirk having to restrict hisself because he has to play the 5 for us. No more of Dirk having to play help defense because no one else can. Dirk can finally start to average his double double per season from here on out.

madape
08-10-2004, 05:48 PM
What is it the Mavs have to lose? A roster spot?

uhhh.. we can't sign the man. In order to aquire him, we must trade for him. That means working out a sign and trade with Golden State, who would need to exceed the luxury tax in order to facilitate the deal. They really don't want to do that, considering it could cost them potentially tens of millions of dollars. I suppose it's possible to convince them to do so by sending them Josh Howard, maybe Philly's #1 pick, maybe some cash... but they certainly aren't going to do it for Alan Henderson or Christian Laettner. So no, it won't just cost you a roster spot to aquire Dump. If it's even possible to trade for him (which I don't think it is), it would require a combination of picks and players that neither I nor the Maverick organization want to give up.

In addition, it's only reasonable that Dump will want a long-term, multi-million dollar contract if he is to come to the Mavericks. The CBA requires that any deal we work out must be at least three years in length. Currently, he has a deal on the table from the Hawks reported to be around $50M. It's the only real offer he has. He and his agent think he's worth more than that, which is why you hear rumors of him taking a one year deal at the MLE from another team and playing the free agent market again next year in the hopes of landing a long team deal. As far as I know, no team has yet offered him one year at the MLE. In order to get Dampier to forego free agency for the next two years and agree to a sign and trade deal with the Maverick, we would at least need to come close to Atlanta's offer, probably even exceed it. Now, $50M over multiple years may not seem like much to you, but Cuban doesn't think that way, which is one reason he's not touching this bum with a ten foot pole.

vinnieponte
08-10-2004, 05:55 PM
First off the reason he hasn't taken that offer is that Atlanta is no where near winning a championship and he wants to be part of a team that has a chance. Secondly you call him a bum yet he has way better numbers than Bradley and is ranked #1 in the league for All rebounds, lets see Bradley do that. You have a point with the trades and what not yet I'm betting he will settle for less to win and he would contribute way more than Bradley, he is a banger, and thats what we need. If you think we will get it done with Bradley than look for a repeat of last year.

FilthyFinMavs
08-10-2004, 05:55 PM

What is it the Mavs have to lose? A roster spot?

uhhh.. we can't sign the man. We have to trade for him. That means working out a trade with Golden State. G.S. would basically need to exceed the luxury tax in order to sign and trade Dump, and they really don't want to do that. I suppose it's possible to convince them to do so by sending them Josh Howard, maybe Philly's #1 pick, maybe some cash... but they certainly aren't going to do it for Alan Henderson or Christian Laettner. So no, it won't just cost you a roster spot to aquire Dump. If it's even possible to trade for him (which I don't think it is), it would require a combination of picks and players that neither I nor the Maverick organization want to give up.

In addition, you have to think that Dump will want a long-term, multi-million dollar contract if he is to come to the Mavericks. The CBA requires that any deal we work out must be at least three years in length. Currently, he has a deal on the table from the Hawks reported to be around $50M. It's the only real offer he has. He and his agent think he's worth more than that, which is why you hear rumors of him taking a one year deal at the MLE from another team and playing the free agent market again next year in hope of landing a long team deal. As far as I know, no team has yet offered him one year at the MLE. In order to get Dampier to forego free agency for the next two years and agree to a sign and trade deal with the Maverick, we would at least need to come close to Atlanta's offer, probably even exceed it. Now, $50M over multiple years may not seem like much to you, but Cuban doesn't think that way, which is one reason he's not touching this bum with a ten foot pole.

I know we can't trade for him. But i'm saying what is it the Mavs have to lose? They won't be tradiing anyone significant or with a large salary. So basically we are losing a roster spot for the guy. I know the CBA requires the Mavs to sign him to atleast to a 3 year contract which is what I stated. That's not that big IMO. IT doesn't exceed 2006 which I think Cuban is trying his best not to do. Dampier according to this thread has said money isn't a factor. If that's the case then you don't have to offer him $50 million which you're implying. If he really wants to play for a winner than he'd take a pay cut to go to one. If not then he doesn't want to be apart of a contender. BTW, why hasn't Dampier signed with the Grizz or the Hawks yet? What's he waiting for? A contender to wait until a certain deadline comes around?

dirk2003
08-10-2004, 06:28 PM
and put a few flagrant fouls down on some weak ass bitches heads.

Sounds exactly like Bradley... the one that gets whopped by guys feet shorter than him.

FilthyFinMavs
08-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by: dirk2003

and put a few flagrant fouls down on some weak ass bitches heads.

Sounds exactly like Bradley... the one that gets whopped by guys feet shorter than him.

You can't forget about the mighty Earl Watson.

madape
08-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by: vinnieponte
First off the reason he hasn't taken that offer is that Atlanta is no where near winning a championship and he wants to be part of a team that has a chance. Secondly you call him a bum yet he has way better numbers than Bradley and is ranked #1 in the league for All rebounds, lets see Bradley do that.

I'll admit that decyphering Dump's comments abut winning vs. money right now is pure conjecture, but I'm willing to bet when all is said and done, he takes the Atlanta offer. I used to think that he was delaying commitment because he wanted to play for a winner, but now I think he's looking for more cash than what Atlanta is offering. His agent is using the "wants to win" line as leverage to build up interest, in other words to sucker guys like Cuban into picking up the phone. I'm not buying it. It sound like no one else is either, which is why I think Dampier is a Hawk next season.

As for Bradley never being #1 in rebounds; well, that may be true. But Dump has never even sniffed a shotblocking title and never will. Shawn has two of them on his wall. And if you take away last year, I think you'll find that Shawn is actually a statistically better rebounder than Dampier.

And what about last year? Of course, Dump had the good fortune of playing on a team in which there was no healthy backups at center, the starting power forward was injured for most of the year. If you compare his 2003 season with his 2004 season and wonder how he could have amazingly almost doubled his rebounding output, the answer is simple:

no Foyle (6 boards a game)
no Murphy (10 boards a game)
no Jamison (7 boards a game)
no Arenas (5 boards a game)
no Fortson (4 boards a game)

Instead, the Warriors gave 82 starts at power forward to the great Clifford Robinson, who's averaged only 4.8 rebounds a game over the course of his entire career!

So Dampier increased his rebounds by 5 a game, an 80% improvement over last year. Mike Dunleavy increased his by three, and over127% improvement. Jason Richardson increased his by over two a game, or 47% improvment . If one starter makes leaps and bounds, you might be able to attribute that to individual ability. But if the entire starting lineup increases their rebounding stats, you can call it a trend. The trend here is that the massive amount of rebounds from players traded away or injured last year, fell in the laps of the remaining starters.

Is Dampier really that great of a rebounder? Or is it better to say that the players around him were just that BAD last year? That's the multi-multi million dollar question. I think that in looking at Dump's career, the answer is obvious: Dump stinks.

Personally, I think you could have put Shawn Bradley, Calvin Booth, Christian Laettner, or any decent center on that team and any one of them would have averaged double digit boards. Bradley may have even eclipsed Dampier's 12 boards a game.

As for what Dump would do as a Maverick, I don't think it's a quesion of IF he'll fall off, it's a question of how much. He averaged 6.6 boards in a year in which he played along side Jamison, Murphy and had Foyle backing him up. I think you can argue that Dirk is at least comparable on the boards to Murpy, Josh Howard is at least comparable to Jamison, and that Dump would be backed up by better talent here in Dallas than he was in GS.

I think a realistic projection of his stats in Dallas would be around 6.5 points and 6.5 boards in 25 minutes a game, which is considerably worse than the numbers Shawn has put up for us when given the same number of minutes. Those stats combined with the huge, incredibly massive dropoff in shotblocking, it's hard to see how Dump can even think about beating out Shawn for the starting center spot here.

But the moss is always greener on the other side of the turd.

EricaLubarsky
08-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Thinking that Damp is coming to Dallas because he wants to be on a winning team is like saying Shaq will demand a trade from Miami because he likes Dallas more.

fin4life
08-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Thinking that Damp is coming to Dallas because he wants to be on a winning team is like saying Shaq will demand a trade from Miami because he likes Dallas more.

We are a team that wins more than ATL and will pay him more than the knicks can. The mavs probaly would give him close to the amount that atlanta is offering... just a shorter deal because it will we close to alan henderson's deal (hopefully)

EricaLubarsky
08-10-2004, 08:55 PM
I'm not saying that Damp wouldnt prefer Dallas over Atlanta (who would want to play in Atlanta?), I'm saying that Damp wanting to play for a winner in no way makes Dallas more likely to get him.

fin4life
08-10-2004, 09:08 PM
well i think dallas is a good option for Damp. why else would he not join a team yet while his stock has gone down all summer. He opted out of a deal that would have given him 8mil per year. Then he said that he would take the MLE with NY. I just wonder why he hasnt done anything yet... the mavs would answer that question. The main teams that have interest in him are NY, ATL, and Memphis. Dallas hasnt admitted to anything yet, but they never do before they make a deal.

Captain Disaster
08-10-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs

I agree. If we get Bradley to start for us next season we will win more games than we did last season when we were just relying on outscoring our opponents. But imagine if we had a real center. A guy built like a building. A guy who put up 12/12 last season. Numbers Bradley can't even dream about. you play Damp at the 5 Dirk would be so much of a better player it would be ridiculous. No more having to rely on Dirk to man the paint for us. No more of Dirk having to restrict hisself because he has to play the 5 for us. No more of Dirk having to play help defense because no one else can. Dirk can finally start to average his double double per season from here on out.

We're not going to win more games this season because of the departure of Nash.

Max Power
08-10-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by: Captain Disaster

The Mavs will win more games this year than last year. You can bank it.

Male30Dan
08-10-2004, 11:30 PM

Neither one of the people you quoted said anything about Nash's departure equaling more wins for the Mavs... What was said, (and Im paraphrasing), was that starting Bradley and possibly starting Dampier would win us more games due to our team being more balanced and due to our team having less players playing out of position...

EricaLubarsky
08-11-2004, 12:35 AM

Captain obvious strikes again.

mapape
08-13-2004, 07:19 PM

I agree with captain disaster.

mapape
[whoops

mapape
whoops