PDA

View Full Version : Walker wiggles for Charity

MightyToine
08-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Veteran forward discusses his trade to Atlanta and community activities
Walker Wiggles for Charity

By Maurice Brooks

Aug. 10 – On the court, Antoine Walker is one of the most multifaceted players in the NBA. Off the court, the Hawks forward is just as versatile, spreading his time between The Support Group, the 8 Foundation and numerous other charities.

Walker talked to NBA.com about his involvement with the different organizations and his recent trade from the Mavericks to the Hawks.

This is some week for you. You met the Atlanta media on Tuesday, your birthday is Thursday and you are hosting the Chicagoland All-Star Game at the United Center on Sunday. Are you busy enough?

Antoine Walker: “This week is going to be a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to it.”

You are co-hosting the game with Tim Hardaway. How many years have you been involved with this game and what kind of turnout are you expecting?

Walker: “This is our third year in a row doing this. Last year we had over 16,000 people attend and this year we’re expecting it to be even bigger. This is for the kids and also for the city of Chicago.”

The game benefits The Support Group and your charity, the 8 Foundation. Talk a little bit about those two organizations.

Walker: “The Support Group has various programs with the housing authority in Chicago. This is my third year with the Support Group and it helps to keep kids off the street. My organization is the 8 Foundation and it is for single parents. This is our seventh year. We try to help single parents provide a healthy home environment and we donate money for educational programs.”

How important is it for you to give back to the community and youth organizations in Chicago?

Walker: “This is everything for me. My mom raised six of us by herself and I realize how difficult that can be. I always vowed to give back and help out whenever I can. It’s my job as a professional athlete to help out as much as possible.”

Who is scheduled to play in the game?

Walker was shipped from Dallas to Atlanta on Aug. 4.
Scott Cunningham
NBAE/Getty Images
Walker: “The concept is to have the NBA players from the Chicago area play against the other players from around the league. There are supposed to be like 20-25 players in the game. Paul Pierce, Michael Finley, Quentin Richardson, Corey Maggette, James Posey, Steve Francis and Bob Simmons are some of the guys scheduled to play.” (Mario and Grammy award-winning singer Brandy are singing at halftime.)

What other community-related events do you participate in?

Walker: “I try to bring kids to the games. I also do various things such as basketball camps and help out with AAU basketball teams.”

What are your thoughts on your one season in Dallas?

Walker: “I’m happy with it. It was a great experience. I got the opportunity to play with some great guys. I had to go because we had too many players that play the same position. We felt like we had enough talent to reach the West finals. Obviously losing in the first round wasn’t one of our goals.”

How did you feel when you first got word of your trade to the Hawks?

Walker: “Excited. I’m looking forward to being a part of the rebounding process. If we can add another piece or two, I think we can be competitive and make it to the playoffs.”

What do you think about some of the Hawks’ other offseason moves?

Walker: “I’m looking forward to playing with Al Harrington. I think we can team up and really make a difference.”

Do you feel like you have something to prove this season?

Walker: “No. After eight years, I’ve already proven what I can do. I want to show people that I can still play at an All-Star caliber level and I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

What’s the biggest difference playing in the West compared to the East?

Walker: “Size and the style of play in the West are different. In the East, teams are a lot more defensive minded.”

Do you think the U.S. Olympic team will win the gold medal?

Walker: “Yes. It’s going to be a little more competitive and a little tougher than most people thought, but they are going to pull through.”

fin4life
08-12-2004, 04:11 PM
I cant help it but i keep on liking him more and more everytime i see and interview with him. I think he is a really classy guy and and I hope he does great in atlanta.

DevinHarriswillstart
08-12-2004, 05:29 PM
He can talk the talk, but he is gonna walk them to 30 games at best. Although 30 games for Atlanta would be considered successful. The fact is, he shoots bricks. I haven't see a bad shooter like him since I don't know when. If he stays in the post for Atlanta, then they will go forward. If not, heaven help them.

Evilmav2
08-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Good for Walker... I still remember being impressed at one game last season because I was sitting right next to a block of 40-50 tickets that Walker had bought for a big group of South Dallas schoolkids.

Walker may not have been the best fit in Dallas, but I think he really is a good dude who does a heckuva lot of good work out in the community (and he doesn't need a Chris Webber-style court order to make him do it)...

MavsFanFinley
08-12-2004, 11:19 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread but here's a goofy little mention I thought I'd stick here.

Stella's Column (http://www.suntimes.com/output/foster/cst-nws-stella12.html)

ACTRESS MEAGAN GOOD, who plays rapper/actor Bow Wow's love interest in the "Roll Bounce" skating movie now filming here, celebrated her 23rd birthday last weekend at a party hosted by the PhifexDuce promotions firm at the 212 on the River restaurant/nightclub (formerly Shark Bar). The 212 is getting to be the "in place," and most recently Bow Wow, the NBA's Antoine Walker, Mark Aguirre and Michael Finley and Ald. Walter Burnett (24th) have dined there.

MightyToine
08-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Heh....Who says Walker only eats Harold's fried chicken? i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

EricaLubarsky
10-05-2004, 01:09 AM
a little holiday cheer from media day

http://img25.exs.cx/img25/4073/Walker.jpg