PDA

View Full Version : Payton says he will not play for Celtics

Evilmav2
08-14-2004, 10:53 AM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/gary_payton_lakers.jpg
Payton still slows Lakers

TRADE AMENDED: He won't report to Boston, so LA gets Jones instead of Banks and a draft pick.

By BRODERICK TURNER / The Press-Enterprise

Still irate over being traded from the Lakers to the Celtics, Gary Payton failed to report to Boston on Friday to take his physical, forcing the teams to amend their trade.

The Lakers will get 6-foot-8 forward Jumaine Jones instead of second-year guard Marcus Banks and a second-round pick in next year's draft. The Lakers had acquired Banks and the pick earlier in the month, along with guard Chucky Atkins and 7-footer Chris Mihm, for Payton, Rick Fox and a first-round pick.

Payton, 36, remains the property of Boston. In a phone interview Friday, Payton said he would retire before reporting to Boston.

An upset Gary Payton said he'll retire before playing for Boston. The Lakers "didn't respect me. Why should I respect them?" he said.

"I wasn't going to Boston to take a physical," he said. "I ain't going to move my family no more. I can't take my family to Boston. It ain't no disrespect to Boston."

Payton said he'd prefer to play for Houston, Minnesota or the Clippers.

Payton is due to earn $5.4 million in the last year of his contract. If he doesn't report and isn't traded again, Payton would not get paid.

"I don't care about that," Payton said. "If it goes down, I'll quit. I can go on and do something else."

Payton said had he known the Lakers were going to trade him, he wouldn't have exercised his contract option for next season.

"They used me to sign so they could get other players," Payton said. "Boston is going to lose out on this. They ain't going to get (nothing). It's about respect. They (the Lakers) didn't respect me. Why should I respect them?"

The Celtics said they expected Payton to be in Boston on Monday to take a physical.

With Jones, the Lakers have five small forwards again.

Jones, 25, has averaged 6.9 points and 3.9 rebounds while playing for three teams in five seasons. He shot a career-low 34.4 percent from the field last season, his first in Boston. Limited to 8.9 minutes a game, Jones averaged 2.2 points and 1.6 rebounds.

Nash13
08-14-2004, 11:03 AM
The Celtics should've known that was going to happen. I know a lot of people are going to slam Payton, but i really don't blame him. The only reason he's continuing to play is for a championship, and it ain't gonna happen in Boston.

LRB
08-14-2004, 11:25 AM
And yet another day in the As The Lakers Turn.

Hitman
08-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Actually, the reason that the C's did this in the first place was to free up 5.4 million next summer. I would suppose if he retires it comes off immediately.

Dirkenstien
08-14-2004, 01:11 PM
I dont blame Payton for doing this either. Watch out if he goes to Houston.

Nash13
08-14-2004, 01:37 PM
He's not going to Houston or Minnesota. Houston doesn't have anyone to trade and Minnesota already has 2 point guards. He needs to go to Miami so Wade can play the 2.

dirno2000
08-14-2004, 02:33 PM
There's not a player in the league with as big of a gap between his actual value and what he perceives his value to be. If anybody else wanted Payton, there's no way Mitch would have gone through with the trade after Banks was pulled off the table. Payton's a joke.

Dirkenstien
08-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Payton clearly isnt what he used to be in terms of ability, but I do believe he could still help either three of those teams he mentioned considerably.

kg_veteran
08-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Payton's a loser, and Ainge is a dummy. Who cares if he cuts payroll? The Celtics need talent.

Male30Dan
08-14-2004, 11:00 PM
I still think Payton is EASILY a top 10 point guard in the NBA... That is something that Boston clearly did not have prior to the trade, (however it looks like they still do not have it after the trade)!!!

Give the guy the respect he deserves... He may not have showed a great deal of skill last year, but he was in a system he HATED that did not utilize his talent properly!

Had Phil stayed, this would not have even happened because Gary would not have played for the triangle another year!

Eh well, shitty deal for both clubs now!

DevinHarriswillstart
08-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Payton's case might be a little bit better if he actually spoke like a mature adult (ain't ain't ain't)....a whimpering child. He also cnotradicts himself. He doesn't want to keep moving his family, yet he wants to go to Minnesota or Houston? He's just a trash talkin has-been that I never liked. I hope he retires.