PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Should Win the Title

Mongoose
08-21-2004, 05:31 AM
This may seem bold, but the Mavs can and should win the NBA title next year.

Though the team needs time to gel and Dirk needs to learn to step up down the stretch, there is more than just a chance for a title run. Though with the departure of Nash, the offensive playing style needs to be changed due to the lack of a true point guard. IMHO, we would be served with a ball movement intensive movement, such as the Kings run, which doesn’t require individual playmakers, but instead relies on the fact that everyone on the team can make open jump shots (excluding Howard). While this should make our offense as potent as prior years, the defense is clearly much improved. Not only have we gotten rid of two of our worst defenders (Nash and Jamison), but we’ve also added a legitimate shot blocking presence. This actually makes the perimeter defenders seem better than they are (see San Antonio), and we have already have a good core out there with Howard and Finley (and even Terry is a decent defender)

We also match up well with the top western conference teams. Now, with Dampier guarding players like Duncan and Webber, Dirk can primarily be a help defender, a role in which he thrives (at least compared to on ball defense) and will be protected from foul trouble. Also, Terry will be a big upgrade against point guards like Cassell, Parker and Bibby, especially since they often make the big plays down the stretch. As in prior years Dirk will be able draw other teams interior defenders outside, opening up the middle for slashers like Daniels and Stackhouse to take advantage of Duncan and Garnett out guarding Dirk at the 3 point line.

Western teams have been built to beat the Lakers, with a good interior defender to match up with Shaq and a good wing defender for Kobe. This plays right into the Mavs strengths as a lot of the scoring will be coming from the point guard and a power forward that prefers to play outside. Offensively, teams have been focusing on making the point guard a focal part of their offense due to the Lakers inability to guard them, this is where the addition of a quality point defender in Terry becomes so valuable. Though making it to the finals is by no means a guarantee, the match-ups look to be much more favorable than prior years, though the west is admittedly even deeper and more talented this year.

The biggest challenge will probably end up being Detroit (who I definitely think will come out of the East). This team has seemingly no weaknesses, and somehow seems to match-up well with everyone (my compliments to Joe Dumars, he has done a masterful job). Yet, the best way to be a great defensive team is to attack them before they can set their defense. This is where the athletic perimeter players come into play, we should be able to push the ball and beat them down the court (Example of success against Detroit, Nets pushing them to 7 games, how, pushing the ball). Meanwhile, with the improved defense, Detroit no longer would have anything to exploit. And if they have a weakness it is their inability to create shots individually, so our defense should be solid enough to force them into difficult shots.

lonny22
08-21-2004, 06:52 AM
The Mavs stand a good chance to win it. I really believe the next trade has been worked out for a while, also.

Murphy3
08-21-2004, 07:29 AM
link (https://http://dallas-mavs.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=2&threadid=18740&STARTPAGE=2)

birdsanctuary
08-21-2004, 10:17 AM
No doubt the New Mavs are clearly built to beat the Pistons.

vinnieponte
08-21-2004, 11:42 AM
I've heard this argument every year after the offseson, I just hope for once it will become true

EricaLubarsky
08-21-2004, 12:05 PM
I think I need to switch my weapon of choice from a pessimist-beating stick to a homer-beating bat. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

vinnieponte
08-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
I think I need to switch my weapon of choice from a pessimist-beating stick to a homer-beating bat.

You need help?

EricaLubarsky
08-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by: vinnieponte

I think I need to switch my weapon of choice from a pessimist-beating stick to a homer-beating bat.

You need help?

Sure. I figure your unrealistic pessimist idea that we will be a lottery team is just as rediculous as those that are talking about a Mavs championship before the Dampier trade is finalized and before anyone even shows up for training camp. Maybe there is a sense of balance between those two points.

vinnieponte
08-21-2004, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by: vinnieponte

You need help?

Sure. I figure your unrealistic pessimist idea that we will be a lottery team is just as rediculous as those that are talking about a Mavs championship before the Dampier trade is finalized and before anyone even shows up for training camp. Maybe there is a sense of balance between those two points.

wow.....someone is missing something @ home, wink wink. Yes I said earlier in the offseason that the Mavs would be fighting to get out of the lottery. My view has changed since terry & Dampier will be here, and I even posted my prediction 2 days ago saying we would be 4th, so there. But never the less our bet is still on and it's not looking good for you i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

bgantz
08-21-2004, 01:28 PM
lots of optimism....i will believe we can win the championship when we can play good defense. just because we have better defensive players doesn't mean we will be better defensively. i need to see it to believe it, instead of letting the mavs pay lip service every year like they do