PDA

View Full Version : Does this concern anyone?

fin4life
08-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Our two biggest offseason aquisitions have never been to the playoffs. Terry and Dampier will be our starters at arguable the 2 most difficult positions without the benifit of playoff experience.

EricaLubarsky
08-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by: fin4life
Our two biggest offseason aquisitions have never been to the playoffs. Terry and Dampier will be our starters at arguable the 2 most difficult positions without the benifit of playoff experience.

not terribly. both players should be itching to win and Dirk or Finley will get preference on clutch shots.

The fact is, that there is enough veteran leadership on this squad to negate a lot of the first-time effect. AJ at point, Bradley/Esch/Booth at center, Finley/Daniels at 2/3. Dirk at the 4.

cheesestar
08-21-2004, 06:55 PM
i dont have too much concern about this. i think as long as they are motivated to be in the playoffs they will play well.

Sinn Fein
08-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Does not concern me with Damp at all. Terry, a little, but not substantially.

lonny22
08-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Easy answer.

How well did Nash play against the Kings with his experience? How about Walker, who's also gone to the Conf. Finals?

Marquis Daniels outplayed both of them and he was a rookie. Employee #6 was the 2nd best player on the team in the series.

Speaking of #6, what number will Avery wear if he does play. 5 and 6 are already gone. I think he might've had a different number playing for the Warriors or Spurs the first time around with each team. I know he was 6 with each team the last time.

I'm guessing Avery is just a coach and Dickau is here for the season.

nowitzki_prophecy
08-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Edit - Just realized lonny just said it..i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

DubOverdose
08-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Nah...doesn't bother me. Jamison did fine in the playoffs this past season and it was his first trip.

fin4life
08-21-2004, 08:06 PM
yea, it probaly wont change anything. In my mind, a player is either a big game guy or he isnt. It isnt about his experience, it is about how well he can rise above adversity. With that being said, i think that experience is very helpful... it just isnt necessary.

dude1394
08-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Nope...In fact I kind of like it. Stackhouse hasn't been hardly either. I like hungry players. Plus we will have 'quis, dirk, finley, howard, shawn who have.

Max Power
08-21-2004, 08:30 PM
I'm sure that the playoffs will be an initial shock to them because of the greater intensity. Will they respond? We'll have to wait to see...

DevinHarriswillstart
08-21-2004, 08:39 PM
The only thing that bothers me is the deal for Damp hasn't gone through yet. Doesn't anyone feel a bit edgy about it? I know tuesday, but still. I just smell other teams trying to get involved.

twelli
08-21-2004, 08:43 PM
booth won us the game in Utah in his 5th playoff game...

anything can happen...

grndmstr_c
08-21-2004, 08:45 PM
The only thing that bothers me is the deal for Damp hasn't gone through yet. Doesn't anyone feel a bit edgy about it? I know tuesday, but still. I just smell other teams trying to get involved. If the rumors had us signing him to a two year deal or something I'd be edgy. Speculation on the contract being what it is, though...I'm not worried about that at all. The chances of some other team swooping in and beating us out is slim to none.

mavsman55
08-21-2004, 09:07 PM
I'm not worried at all. They came from crappy teams, but so did Jamison and he did fine in the playoffs.

GoMavsGo
08-21-2004, 09:11 PM
playoff experiece is overrated.

V2M
08-21-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c

The only thing that bothers me is the deal for Damp hasn't gone through yet. Doesn't anyone feel a bit edgy about it? I know tuesday, but still. I just smell other teams trying to get involved. If the rumors had us signing him to a two year deal or something I'd be edgy. Speculation on the contract being what it is, though...I'm not worried about that at all. The chances of some other team swooping in and beating us out is slim to none.

Yesterday afternoon (Friday), Donnie was on Bad Radio from Athens. He mentioned that the deal wasn't consummated yet and some intense talks were still going on. He did say that Damp is a Top 10 Center and given our need for a quality inside presence, Mavs are seriously interested in signing him.

On a side note, he was asked of LB's comments on him and he side-tracked the question with all poise and class that we've come to know of him.

Rod1975
08-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

not terribly. both players should be itching to win and Dirk or Finley will get preference on clutch shots.

The fact is, that there is enough veteran leadership on this squad to negate a lot of the first-time effect. AJ at point, Bradley/Esch/Booth at center, Finley/Daniels at 2/3. Dirk at the 4.

Agreed.

IMO simply the presence of Dirk, Fin and to a lesser degree Bradley, is enough to unbalance the lack of playoff exp. with regards to Terry and Dampier. Not to mention the leadership of AJ.....fuggeddaboutit.

dirno2000
08-22-2004, 12:17 AM
I've mentioned this before and yes, it concerns me. Players on perennially bad teams pick up bad habits, make more mistakes in close games and don't make as many big plays. Thatís why their teams lose. Last years team was kind of an aberration, but prior to that, whenever we were in a close game with a bad team I always felt we would win. Not just because of talent, but because our players expected to win. You canít discount the importance of that.

OTOH, for a team like us that constantly turns over the roster, itís the only option. Good teams generally donít trade their good players to other good teams so we have to take go for talent and hope it melds.

Like others have mentioned, itís going to be important for Dirk and Fin to leade and take over in close gamesÖespecially early in the season.

MFFL4113
08-22-2004, 03:20 PM
I think it would be one thing if an inexperienced team acquired two all-star quality players in the off-season to make a playoff push who have no experience, like Terry and Dampier, but they are joining a team who has players with playoff experience, as well and a coaching staff, and there is always Avery to provide big game leadership when others like Dirk tend to shy away.

VivaNajera
08-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Remember Mike Bibby, he had no playoff experience his first year with the kings coming over from the grizzles and what did he do? He almost lead the kings to the finals. he was so clutch against the mavs and lakers back in 2002. is it a coincidence that both he and terry are from Arizona and both were on scrub teams b4 being trading? just a thought.

The Miles
08-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Mike Bibby is a great example.

Mavericks will be just fine with Terry at PG, hopefully better defensively.

Mongoose
08-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by: VivaNajera
Remember Mike Bibby, he had no playoff experience his first year with the kings coming over from the grizzles and what did he do? He almost lead the kings to the finals. he was so clutch against the mavs and lakers back in 2002. is it a coincidence that both he and terry are from Arizona and both were on scrub teams b4 being trading? just a thought.

Great point. Just to add another example, Damon Stoudamire (another Arizona Wildcat), coming from the Grizzlies (the worst team in the NBA) helped lead the Blazers to back to back conference finals in his first two full seasons there (before the implosion).

There's a reason 4 starting point guards last year were from Arizona (Stoudamire, Bibby, Arenas, Terry), coach Lute Olson teaches these guys how to play and make the big shots. I'm not worried at all about how Terry fits into playoff pressure, he's from a college that teaches how to handle it.

fin4life
08-22-2004, 08:46 PM
good point with staudamire... but he is from the Rapters, not the grizzlies

Mongoose
08-22-2004, 09:07 PM
good point with staudamire... but he is from the Rapters, not the grizzlies
Whoops my bad, thanks for the correction

Chef Ed
08-22-2004, 10:51 PM
I don't think it is a concern. But I do think it is going to take time for the two of them to come together with the rest of the team and that is pretty obvious, but how long it takes is the question.

Also think about a couple more things.

If Daniels starts will he live up to all the hype that he has created for himself with his performance that seems to have got him a starting position on the team?

If Stackhouse stays and Nellie talks him into being the 6th man then how long will it take him to adjust to the new role and will he be able to handle not starting?

If more deals are made in the next couple of weeks to reduce the roster and bring us a back up Power Forward how will that change the complexity of the staring 5 and the bench?

Is the starting 5 set, or will training camp be up for grabs. Dirk will get his, and so will Dampier and Terry, but what about the two spot and the three. Is Finley a guarantee to start and is Daniels really the future 2 and will he stay there?

So I think that asking if the new additions to the critcal positions are a concern is not the wrong question, but I think it's about how long it takes and not if it takes .

sike
08-23-2004, 10:50 PM
no.

Damp is the type of player who will play his game and only his game...the playoffs enhanced physicality will fit him like a glove.

Terry has proven himself to be a clutch player hitting many big shots(as many as one can hit while playing in Atlanta) he is not the type to back down or wimp out....he is not a punk, but he does have the "F'em" attitude from what I gather.
would I like it if they had both been their before and had proven success...sure, but I don't think they will wilt under the spot light.

dmavsfan
08-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Who had more playoff experience than the Lakers of last year? And they got OBLITERATED! So much for playoff experience. The new players will be fine. Dallas is starting to look a lot like Detroit (with more fire-power).

sike
08-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by: dmavsfan
Who had more playoff experience than the Lakers of last year? And they got OBLITERATED! So much for playoff experience.
in the finals...

Dallas is starting to look a lot like Detroit (with more fire-power).
how about "strating to look a lot like a much improved team"?

mav_love
08-24-2004, 09:22 AM
what concerns me:

2003-4 three-point fg%

Dirk .341
Marquis .306
Fin .405
JHow .303
Stack .354
Terry .347
Dikau .333

i'm not sure what passes for a marksman these days (40+ percent? or are we in the new era of anything over 30?). outside of Finley, it doesn't look like we have a lot to rely on at the three-point line.

will defenses pack it in, knowing we are more of a slash-to-the-basket team? how much can we depend on our 2/3s to make an open shot when Dirk is doubled?

V2M
08-24-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by: mav_love
what concerns me:

2003-4 three-point fg%

Dirk .341
Marquis .306
Fin .405
JHow .303
Stack .354
Terry .347
Dikau .333

i'm not sure what passes for a marksman these days (40+ percent? or are we in the new era of anything over 30?). outside of Finley, it doesn't look like we have a lot to rely on at the three-point line.

will defenses pack it in, knowing we are more of a slash-to-the-basket team? how much can we depend on our 2/3s to make an open shot when Dirk is doubled?

No doubt... as good as Fin and Nash were last year, a key weakness for our team was 3PT shooting. And with Nash gone, Fin is our only marksman and that's precisely why he's so much more valuable for us now.

We may need to develop one of our young 'uns (Harris, Terry, Dickau, etc.) or go trade for a Korver. Also, Dirk needs to pull his numbers back up close to 40%.

endtroducing
08-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by: Mongoose

Originally posted by: VivaNajera

Great point. Just to add another example, Damon Stoudamire (another Arizona Wildcat), coming from the Grizzlies (the worst team in the NBA) helped lead the Blazers to back to back conference finals in his first two full seasons there (before the implosion).

There's a reason 4 starting point guards last year were from Arizona (Stoudamire, Bibby, Arenas, Terry), coach Lute Olson teaches these guys how to play and make the big shots. I'm not worried at all about how Terry fits into playoff pressure, he's from a college that teaches how to handle it.

yeah, really. Terry wasn't the national college player of the year for nothing...

DubOverdose
08-24-2004, 10:12 AM
Terry and Stack could really improve their 3pt shot this year if they are left open ever. Anyways, they are better at shooting the three than Walker and Jamison.

sike
08-24-2004, 10:41 AM
And with Nash gone, Fin is our only marksman
uhhhh, dirk? I think most would consider Dirk one of the best shooters in this league...down year last year??? yup....does that make any less of a threat...nope. Terry is also a good shooter from distance, other than his rookie year and last year(mostly double teamed) he has shot 38.4% from three in his other three seasons combined.

Dirk needs to pull his numbers back up close to 40%.
true...

V2M
08-24-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by: sike

And with Nash gone, Fin is our only marksman
uhhhh, dirk? I think most would consider Dirk one of the best shooters in this league...down year last year??? yup....does that make any less of a threat...nope. Terry is also a good shooter from distance, other than his rookie year and last year(mostly double teamed) he has shot 38.4% from three in his other three seasons combined.

Dirk needs to pull his numbers back up close to 40%.
true...

Sike- I didn't mean to hint that Dirk's not a great shooter. I believe he could shoot with the best of 'em if that's what he's asked to do. He's probably working on so many other aspects of his game such as defense, post up, hook shots, etc., I doubt if he's spending enough time on his outside shooting. Last year was a down year for him and I hope he brings his numbers up without giving up on the rest of his game.

What, I feel, we really need is a Kerr/Korver type of shooter who just catches and shoots at a high percentage. Hopefully, Terry could do that. Good to know that he has nice numbers prior to last year.

sike
08-24-2004, 11:50 AM
V2Msaid: Sike- I didn't mean to hint that Dirk's not a great shooter. I believe he could shoot with the best of 'em if that's what he's asked to do. He's probably working on so many other aspects of his game such as defense, post up, hook shots, etc., I doubt if he's spending enough time on his outside shooting. Last year was a down year for him and I hope he brings his numbers up without giving up on the rest of his game.

This is totally ture....I am ok with the three point % dipping slightly from prior form if that means he is attacking the hole more often or posting up more often...He will need to improve from last season none the less.

What, I feel, we really need is a Kerr/Korver type of shooter who just catches and shoots at a high percentage. Hopefully, Terry could do that. Good to know that he has nice numbers prior to last year.

agreed

fin4life
08-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Unless we give up stack or howard to get this sharpshooter... what minutes will he get? We are having enough trouble trying to figure out how stack/howard/Finley/daniels will get minutes... now we have to factor in a korver type player??? We are just going to have to rely on Finley to be that guy with some help from terry/dirk/dickau/stack

endtroducing
08-24-2004, 12:03 PM
if Stackhouse starts (which I expect), getting everyone minutes won't be a problem. if Dickau is going to be our pure shooter, he'll only need about 10 per game, if that.

sike
08-24-2004, 12:10 PM
endtroducing: if Stackhouse starts (which I expect), getting everyone minutes won't be a problem.

who sits: Fin or Daniels?
if Dickau is going to be our pure shooter, he'll only need about 10 per game, if that.

many games the pure shooter would sit the whole unless needed for a big shot.