PDA

View Full Version : More bad news for Sacramento: Chris Webber is considering undergoing surgery again?

Evilmav2
08-24-2004, 05:01 PM
http://sackings.com/Images/photos/ChrisWebber-001.jpg
Will CWebb go under the knife again?

I thought some of y'all might find this interesting. It looks like Webber might be forced to undergo surgery again this Summer, and if he does, I would imagine that might have a significant impact on the playoff race this year.

The following quotation is taken from this morning's Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

Chris Webber was the premier free agent in 2001. The Maloof brothers had a billboard offering to mow his lawn if he would re-sign. New York celebrities pleaded with Webber on scoreboard messages to consider the Knicks.

Three years later, Webber is considering his second knee surgery in 12 months. With four years and $80 million remaining on his contract, one general manager said the Webber deal is "the worst in the league."

This is an email sent by a Kings fan to Danny O'Neill, the author of the piece:

Dear Mr. O'Neal,

I read your article 8/24 regarding the Seattle Supersonics and Ray Allen. However, I am a basketball fan here in Sacramento, CA. In your article you said, "Chris Webber was the premier free agent in 2001. The Maloof brothers had a billboard offering to mow his lawn if he would re-sign. New York celebrities pleaded with Webber on scoreboard messages to consider the Knicks.

Three years later, Webber is considering his second knee surgery in 12 months. With four years and $80 million remaining on his contract, one general manager said the Webber deal is "the worst in the league." "

I was hoping you could clear something up for me. Is Chris Webber considering another surgery on the knee he injured in the Dallas Playoff series 2 seasons ago? Is he just getting his knee scoped? Also, what is your source? Did Chris Webber tell you he was getting his knee operated on? Is this just speculation?

You have worried a lot of people here in Sacramento with this article. The Sacramento Bee has said nothing at all like this- if anything they say that Webb has reported his leg is getting stronger.

Please Let Me know!!!

And this was his response:

Hi Matthew:

One of my league sources had said -- in passing -- that Webber was looking at the possibility of another surgery. It was nothing definitive. I have not spoken to Webber.

I've certainly gotten a number of e-mails about it from folks in Sacramento. It should be made clear that there was nothing definitive that was reported in our newspaper.

Hope all is well.

Take care,
Danny O'Neil
Seattle Post-Intelligencer Sports

Now I know that this isn't definitive proof that Webber might undergo a second, late-Summer round of knee surgery, but it sure sounds ominous to me. With Peja angrily demanding a trade, Webber asserting the need to be "more selfish" and impose his leadership on his underachieving teammates, Bobby Jackson saying that he will demand that Sacramento not use the team option on his contract next Summer, and now with a "league source" telling a very credible journalist that Webber is considering going under the knife again, things are just not looking good in Sactown right now...

cheesestar
08-24-2004, 05:31 PM
well if peja stays and cwebb is out, i guess it's good news...

Drbio
08-24-2004, 06:12 PM
CryWebb is just trying to figure out how he can draw that paycheck wihtout actually earning it. He's a master at that you know.

MavKikiNYC
08-24-2004, 06:21 PM
He's a front-runnin', weak-hearted, flim-flammin', no-time-out-left-callin' hustler.

The league would be better off without him, IMO.

mavsfanforever
08-24-2004, 06:21 PM
No wonder Peja wants out.

fin4life
08-24-2004, 07:14 PM
The kings are in terrible shape right now. I havent heard anything good happen to them all offseason. If I didnt hate them so much... I might feel bad for them

endtroducing
08-24-2004, 08:14 PM
what goes up...

Nash13
08-24-2004, 09:57 PM
I havent heard anything good happen to them all offseason.

That's not true. They signed Greg Ostertag. He'll fill Divac's role perfect. A slow, goofy-looking, big pile of nothing.

mavsfanforever
08-24-2004, 11:27 PM
That's not true. They signed Greg Ostertag. He'll fill Divac's role perfect. A slow, goofy-looking, big pile of nothing.

HAHAHAHA

Drbio
08-24-2004, 11:27 PM
Good one Nash

rakesh.s
08-25-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by: Nash13

I havent heard anything good happen to them all offseason.

you know, it isn't really hard to take shots at another team but keep in mind that they beat the mavs in the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years

and when the mavs did beat them, they didn't have their best player on the floor(at the time their best player was webber) and it took them 7 games....and last year, they were CRUSHED by that same team with a hobbled webber

when/if the mavs sweep them or beat them handily next time, the trash talking can begin

ideally i would love for the mavs to have a playoff scenario like this in 2004-2005

rnd 1 - mavs beat kings 4-0 by an avg of 10 pts per game
rnd 2 - mavs beat wolves 4-1
rnd 3 - mavs beat spurs 4-1

Male30Dan
08-25-2004, 07:10 AM
Dont forget round 4... It is the most important one!!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

EricaLubarsky
08-25-2004, 09:35 AM
More bad news for Sacramento: Chris Webber is considering undergoing surgery again?

somehow the first part and the second part of that title dont seem to jive.

mary
08-25-2004, 11:02 AM
If there is any merit to this, I wonder why its coming out of Seattle. Why haven't one of the Sac Bee beat writers picked up on this? Or have they?

DCowboysGal
08-25-2004, 11:21 AM
SAC has a pretty good backup PF in Darius Songalia who's a good shooter and decent rebounder and defender so losing Webber shouldn't be that huge a blow.

LRB
08-25-2004, 11:44 AM
I actually think that the Kings are a better team without Webber. The problem is that Webber will probably return towards the end of the season and ruin the Kings season.

OzMavs
08-25-2004, 06:48 PM
How would you be if you were a Kings fan. You are a better team when your highest paid player is out, who has also made a vow to be more selfish. BJax and Peja want out. Maloof brothers cutting salary. Vlade, who was the heart of the team is back in LA. They have no pieces they can afford to move and no choice but to move into a rebuilding phase.

Then you compare it to Dallas. Cuban cuts salary here and there, but never misses an opportunity to make Dallas a better team. We may need to rebuild, but the chances of us becoming a wreck like the Kings are on the fast track to becoming are almost none. Maybe it's my rose coloured glasses telling me this.

V2M
08-25-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by: OzMavs
How would you be if you were a Kings fan. You are a better team when your highest paid player is out, who has also made a vow to be more selfish. BJax and Peja want out. Maloof brothers cutting salary. Vlade, who was the heart of the team is back in LA. They have no pieces they can afford to move and no choice but to move into a rebuilding phase.

Not to mention their Coach wants an extension and frustrated he can't get one. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

MavsFanFinley
08-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Webber says knee doing fine

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer

Kings power forward Chris Webber said he is having no problems with his surgically repaired left knee or his other knee, contrary to a published report.
"I feel fine," he said Tuesday when asked for a reaction to a report in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer that he was considering knee surgery for the second time in 12 months.

Webber underwent surgery June 10, 2003, to repair a torn meniscus, remove a piece of outside knee cartilage and smooth and prepare an articular cartilage defect for healing. After playing 23 regular-season and 12 playoff games last season, Webber said he has continued to rehabilitate his knee throughout the summer.

"That (report) is not true," Webber said. "Can't I just enjoy my summer?"

Geoff Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations, said he has heard nothing of Webber having any knee problems.

"I know he's spoken with (trainer) Pete (Youngman), and (strength and conditioning coach) Al (Biancani) was with him three weeks ago," Petrie said. "I think I'd have heard something if there was any truth to this."

Additionally, Petrie said the presence of rapper Percy Miller (aka Master P) in Sacramento last week was not because he plans trying out for the Kings.

"I think he's a regular at the Palms," Petrie said of the Las Vegas hotel owned by the Maloof family, owners of the Kings. "Because the Maloofs are involved in a record deal, I think there is the makings of a relationship there."

mavsman55
08-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by: LRB
I actually think that the Kings are a better team without Webber. The problem is that Webber will probably return towards the end of the season and ruin the Kings season.

... again

mary
08-26-2004, 12:23 PM
"That (report) is not true," Webber said

Why is it that I find that quote so incredibly hysterical?

mcsluggo
08-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by: mavsman55

... again

did any of you watch the Kings-Mavs series last year?

You remember, the series where a hobbling half speed Webber was THE FACTOR that knocked the Mavs out.

You know, the guy that had a tripple-dub BY HALFTIME in the decisive, back-breaking game.

This thread is fun. Its like listening to a bunch of Jazz fans rip into and belittle Scottie Pippin. A real hoot.

Evilmav2
08-26-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by: mary

"That (report) is not true," Webber said

Why is it that I find that quote so incredibly hysterical?

Hmmmmm.... CWebb's statement about a possibility of undergoing surprise surgery is a little reminiscent of his having said things like: "I never took any booster money while playing at Michigan." or, "The marijuana that policeman found in my car wasn't mine"...

Drbio
08-26-2004, 02:50 PM
SacLAMENTO fans have no option but to spew the party line here. I feel sorry for the obvious fans like Mcsluggo (who has been here a while) who only wants his team to do well, but CryWebb is a confirmed fib telling doofus. It sucks when your team is being dismantled from within because of a clown like Shewebb.

mcsluggo
08-26-2004, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I've gotta be real popular here.

A Kings fan AND a Redskins fan.

Drbio
08-26-2004, 03:26 PM
LOL....sometimes yo ua re the bug and sometimes you are the windshield. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Evilmav2
08-26-2004, 03:53 PM
I feel sorry for the obvious fans like Mcsluggo (who has been here a while) who only wants his team to do well

You're absolutely right Doc, McSluggo's definitely one of the good ones...

Windmill360
08-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Could I get a link Evil?

Evilmav2
08-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by: Windmill360
Could I get a link Evil?

Sure, Windmill. Here's a link to Kingsfans.com, and a thread detailing the whole business. (http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20898). Strangely enough, the initial link to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer contained on that thread doesn't appear to be working now (It was when I first read this a couple of days ago), so this is the best that I can proffer.

mavsman55
08-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by: mcsluggo

... again

You remember, the series where a hobbling half speed Webber was THE FACTOR that knocked the Mavs out.

You know, the guy that had a tripple-dub BY HALFTIME in the decisive, back-breaking game.

This thread is fun. Its like listening to a bunch of Jazz fans rip into and belittle Scottie Pippin. A real hoot.

Did you watch any of the regular season games at all last year? The Kings had CHEMISTRY before Chris Webber's return. Before March 2, the date of Chris Webber's return, the Kings were 43-15, a winning % of .746. After that point, they finished off the season 12-12, a winning percentage of .500. You can honestly tell me that Chris Webber's return didn't hurt his team's chemistry?

mcsluggo
08-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by: Evilmav2

I feel sorry for the obvious fans like Mcsluggo (who has been here a while) who only wants his team to do well

You're absolutely right Doc, McSluggo's definitely one of the good ones...

stop... I'm blushing

endtroducing
08-30-2004, 08:38 AM
well, yeah, of course the chemistry was lacking...but if your primary offensive option (say, Dirk for instance) missed that much of the season and you started running the ball through someone else (like they did with Peja), that can only be expected.

LRB
08-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by: mcsluggo

... again

I also remember a Mavs team that sucked dog turds last year and only had 1 player, Dirk playing well, stayed very close in most of the games with last second shots to win most of the ones they lost. Remember the Kings had the best record in the West and in the NBA for most of the year until Webber returned. Sure Webber rung up some numbers, but whose to say the Mavs don't get blown out 4 games in a row if Webber didn't come back last year? It would have been very unlikely I admit, because the Kings would probably have had the #1 seed in the west and not have faced the Mavs in the 1st round or any round because I don't see the Mavs getting out of the 1st round last year no matter who their opponent was.

Webber is a more talented, but then who isn't, version of Antoine Walker. He can rack up bid numbers, but doesn't really make his team better by doing it. Like Walker, Webber takes away from others games more than what he adds.