PDA

View Full Version : Donnell Harvey to finish out roster?

Blonde Bomber
08-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Norm is saying that the Mavs are about to sign Donnell Harvey to finish out the roster. He will back up Dirk at PF.

What's everybody's thoughts about that?

Blonde Bomber
08-26-2004, 10:04 AM
he also said to look for Dallas to cut Dickau and TAW to help with roster numbers....interesting...I've always liked the athletic Harvey and am looking forward to having him back on the roster.

fin4life
08-26-2004, 10:08 AM
HMMMM, that is interesting. I personally think that Harvey is really undersized but I guess that doesnt bother Cubes.

Mavs Rule
08-26-2004, 10:10 AM
I think they are going with another big effort guy who is athletic. He has grown as a player since he left the Mavs. Are they signing him to the vet minimum? Isn't that all they have left?

madape
08-26-2004, 10:11 AM
I've never been a big fan, but we need a backup power forward. Donnell has a limited game.

I see him as a Najera type player for us.. a guy we can bring off the bench that will give us some energy.

fin4life
08-26-2004, 10:12 AM
yea, he will likely get 1.1 mil this year. I am assuming that this is a short contract... probaly one year. I am dissappointed that we have to cut dickau... I would have liked to have him around this year.

fin4life
08-26-2004, 10:13 AM
Does anyone realize how many former mavs that we are bringing back.

donnel
ecsh
AJ
Booth
Laetner (He was here shortly)

MavsFanFinley
08-26-2004, 10:15 AM
A nice finish to the roster. I always liked Harvey (even when I was ragged on for it) so I like the idea of him backing up Dirk for 8-10 minutes a game.

FilthyFinMavs
08-26-2004, 10:16 AM
I like the signing. I always loved Harvey's game. I thought he would've been more of an impact player by now but he hasn't. He is still relatively long though. I remember him coming into the league when he was 19 or 20.

V2M
08-26-2004, 10:17 AM
From RealGM.com
==================
#1. Donnell Harvey
Height: 6' 8"
Weight: 220 lbs.
Position: Power Forward
College: Florida
Born: 26th August, 1980
Experience: 3 Seasons

Stat Last 5 Games Last 10 Games Last 20 Games Season
PPG 4.6 (+0.6) 4.2 (+0.2) 3.4 (-0.6) 4.0
RPG 1.6 (-1.1) 1.8 (-0.9) 1.9 (-0.8) 2.7
APG 0.8 (+0.4) 0.6 (+0.2) 0.3 (-0.1) 0.4
SPG 0.6 (+0.2) 0.4 (+0.0) 0.4 (+0.0) 0.4
BPG 0.4 (-0.1) 0.3 (-0.2) 0.3 (-0.2) 0.5

stats

Year Team GMs MPG FG% FT% 3PT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
00-01 DAL 18 3.6 57.1 37.5 - 1.1 0.1 0.2 0.1 1.2
01-02 DEN 47 17.9 49.8 60.0 - 4.8 0.8 0.5 0.5 5.7
02-03 DEN 77 20.9 44.6 67.0 14.3 5.3 1.3 0.6 0.4 7.9
03-04 PHO 60 13.1 44.3 73.5 0.0 2.7 0.4 0.4 0.5 4.0
CAREER 202 16.3 45.9 65.5 10.0 4.1 0.8 0.5 0.4 5.7

Year Team G Min FGM-A FTM-A 3PTM-A REB AS ST BK PTS
00-01 DAL 18 65 8-14 6-16 0-0 20 2 3 1 22
01-02 DEN 47 841 108-217 54-90 0-0 227 37 21 24 270
02-03 DEN 77 1613 246-551 118-176 1-7 409 100 48 27 611
03-04 PHO 60 783 89-201 61-83 0-3 164 21 24 27 239
CAREER 202 3302 451-983 239-365 1-10 820 160 96 79 1142

==============================================

I believe, he's the guy we traded away with Juwan Howard and Hardaway for NVE, Raef, AJ and TAW.
I remember, Nellie saying he was sad to see Harvey go. He likes his energy, defense and hustle. I guess, he's expected to play the same role as Najera, while backing up Dirk.

ddh33
08-26-2004, 10:20 AM
If this does happen, I think it's a pretty solid move. Actually, when Harvey and Etan were sent packing a few years ago a big part of me cringed. I thought they were the type of hard working role players this team needed. Of course, Najera fulfilled that role very welll when healthy. Now, it appears that Donnell will get another chance.

fin4life
08-26-2004, 10:20 AM
This is a nice pickup... I am confident that this is the team that the mavs will take into the season. I wouldnt be suprised if we traded henderson at the deadline... but for now this is the team

Simon2
08-26-2004, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure what the Mavs are doing here? He's the Najera replacement but when is he going to play? At 6'8, I'm not sure I want him at PF. I wanted someone in the 6'10-6'11 range. I doesn't make sense to me. Now, they might have to cut Dickau. Why would Harvey sign here? I guess to get dunked on by Finley some more? Don't agree with this signing.

dalmations202
08-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Great pickup.

He is very athletic, and can defend the big SF's and quick PF's.

If he can develop the ability to hit the 3.... aka- Bruce Bowen (no offensive game except hitting the 3 and dunking).......he will be the perfect fit on this team.

fin4life
08-26-2004, 10:28 AM
dalmation... I dont think the guy can hit the 3. I dont want him to even try one this year. All I want from him is some hustle, Defense, rebounds, and huge dunks (all packed into 10 minutes per game). When he was with the mavs the first time... he almost made it to the dunk contest, but the league wouldnt let him go because he wasnt well known.

The player that I would compare him to in this league is Gerald Wallace. They have always seemed similer to me.

FilthyFinMavs
08-26-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by: Simon2
I'm not sure what the Mavs are doing here? He's the Najera replacement but when is he going to play? At 6'8, I'm not sure I want him at PF. I wanted someone in the 6'10-6'11 range. I doesn't make sense to me. Now, they might have to cut Dickau. Why would Harvey sign here? I guess to get dunked on by Finley some more? Don't agree with this signing.

All you need to know is that he is replacing Najera. You don't need a star to back up a star. Our best player is our power foward. The last thing we need is someone in here who is a power foward who has to play alongside Dirk in order to get more minutes (Walker, Jamison).

FilthyFinMavs
08-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by: fin4life
dalmation... I dont think the guy can hit the 3. I dont want him to even try one this year. All I want from him is some hustle, Defense, rebounds, and huge dunks (all packed into 10 minutes per game). When he was with the mavs the first time... he almost made it to the dunk contest, but the league wouldnt let him go because he wasnt well known.

The player that I would compare him to in this league is Gerald Wallace. They have always seemed similer to me.

I'd compare him to Bo Outlaw. Same awkward shot but is solid at what he does which is do the dirty work.

V2M
08-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Sorry for the edit.

I think it's a great pick up for Dallas.

jacktruth
08-26-2004, 10:47 AM
I don't know about this. It feels like a Nellie center in small ball.

Big Boy Laroux
08-26-2004, 10:52 AM
comparison to outlaw is a good one. i liked harvey when he was here and was sad to see him go. but his athleticism will definitely help, in a backup role.

now, let's get etan thomas back, too.

The Miles
08-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Hey, for $745,046 (Veteran Mininum for a player with four years of experience) it is not a bad signing at all.

yea, he will likely get 1.1 mil this year. I am assuming that this is a short contract... probaly one year. I am dissappointed that we have to cut dickau... I would have liked to have him around this year.

Simon2
08-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Leon Smith anyone?

Big Boy Laroux
08-26-2004, 10:59 AM
yeah let's compare an athletic hard worker with no off-court problems to a guy that nearly committed suicide...

Male30Dan
08-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
yeah let's compare an athletic hard worker with no off-court problems to a guy that nearly committed suicide...

I was really thinking about bashing that ignorant comparison myself, but I will just let you do my dirty work!

Simon2
08-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Big Boy and Male, you guys need to recognize sarcasm. Maybe I should have said Darren Morningstar to make it more obvious. You seriously think the Mavs would even look at Smith again? haha

dalmations202
08-26-2004, 11:20 AM

I don't think he can hit the 3 either........that is why I said " If he can develop the ability to hit the 3.... "

It isn't an ability that he currently possesses. IMO, he needs to work on it though. I know: hustle, defense, rebounds, etc -- YES. But the ability to keep a defense honest is important as well.

In 02/03 -- Bruce Bowen hit .441% of his 3pts. He hit .409% of his FT's. He got wide open shots all year because everyone doubled off him to double TD. That is all I am saying that Donnell should do. Work on his offensive game enough that when teams double off him to cover Dirk or Dampier, that he can make a team pay. That would get him lots more playing time, and help the team as well.

If you just use him for hustle and defense, then it makes it much easier to guard the other players in the game. Even Ben Wallace developed a 15' this last year.

Big Boy Laroux
08-26-2004, 11:24 AM
what kind of sarcsam is that? there is no connection between the two, sarcastic or not, except that the mavs once had their rights. i think you need to look up the definition, if that is an example of your sarcasm

Simon2
08-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Take it how you want it. If you thought I was serious about Leon Smith, then I know the "Big" in Big Boy isn't for anything neck up.

what kind of sarcsam is that? there is no connection between the two, sarcastic or not, except that the mavs once had their rights. i think you need to look up the definition, if that is an example of your sarcasm

Big Boy Laroux
08-26-2004, 11:33 AM
dude. i didn't say you were being serious. and i hope to god you weren't. but there is no logical connection (sarcastic or not) between smith and harvey. so you say "leon smith, anyone?" trying to be funny? probably. did it work? nope.

MikeB
08-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by: dalmations202

I don't think he can hit the 3 either........that is why I said " If he can develop the ability to hit the 3.... "

It isn't an ability that he currently possesses. IMO, he needs to work on it though. I know: hustle, defense, rebounds, etc -- YES. But the ability to keep a defense honest is important as well.

In 02/03 -- Bruce Bowen hit .441% of his 3pts. He hit .409% of his FT's. He got wide open shots all year because everyone doubled off him to double TD. That is all I am saying that Donnell should do. Work on his offensive game enough that when teams double off him to cover Dirk or Dampier, that he can make a team pay. That would get him lots more playing time, and help the team as well.

If you just use him for hustle and defense, then it makes it much easier to guard the other players in the game. Even Ben Wallace developed a 15' this last year.

All you can seriously hope for from Donnell is the 12'-15'. He will never be a jump shooter. He scores on post ups and putbacks. However this team does not need for him to score...just play some tough D & rebound at both ends. That will get him 10-12 minutes most nights.

MFFL4113
08-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by: madape
I've never been a big fan, but we need a backup power forward. Donnell has a limited game.

I see him as a Najera type player for us.. a guy we can bring off the bench that will give us some energy.

I agree with Fin here...I am a bit disappointed to see Dickau would have to go...I would he think he wouldn't be anything less than a solid backup...but maybe they see him as a someone who would just take time from D-Harris...

Simon2
08-26-2004, 11:48 AM
How about "former big men of the Dallas Mavericks"? Laettner, Esch and Booth. All of these guys passed here twice. Now Donnell. Seriously, you need to relax.

dude. i didn't say you were being serious. and i hope to god you weren't. but there is no logical connection (sarcastic or not) between smith and harvey. so you say "leon smith, anyone?" trying to be funny? probably. did it work? nope.

woods
08-26-2004, 11:49 AM
I think it's too bad, in the end, that we traded Fortson for Booth. Without Booth we'd still have Dampier, Bradley, DJ and P-Pod at center, and I think it would have been great to see Fortson actually get some regular minutes at PF.

Big Boy Laroux
08-26-2004, 12:03 PM
ummm, now you're completely changing to compare to laettner, esch, and booth? can you backpedal any faster?

Simon2
08-26-2004, 12:15 PM
Now you're just messing with me. If you don't understand, its the "Bring back former Mavs big men" connection. Doesn't matter if the guy had a drug problem, painted his face and tried to commit suicide.

ummm, now you're completely changing to compare to laettner, esch, and booth? can you backpedal any faster?

Drof
08-26-2004, 12:21 PM
I remember getting to the games early that season and watching Harvey "practice" by himself or with whoever was hanging around. Since he was not on the active roster a lot, he seemed to have a lot of time to fool around during all of the pre-game stuff.

Mostly, I remember wondering why a guy who was trying to break into the active roster was spending all of his time practicing fancy dunks. The man could jump, but it would have made me a lot happier to see him working on post moves or a little jump shot. I don't think I ever saw him even try a little 5' shot. Everything was dunks. Ususally dunks that involved throwing the ball off the back board or having somebody lob the ball for him.

I hoped that he might have the talent to stick in the NBA, but wasn't sure his head was in the game. But then again, all I had to go on was his pre-game ritual. So, maybe that's not a fair judgement. I really haven't seen him play much since we traded him away.

--Drof

Blonde Bomber
08-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Why would you still want Fortson here? Atleast Nelson will play Booth some at C/PF. We don't need anymore bench warmers...

For this team..Booth is a better fit than Fortson.

woods
08-26-2004, 12:50 PM
I liked Fortson and how he always hustled when he was on the court. But he was always out there without a real center. I would have liked him to have the chance to play a position for which he was more suited.

But perhaps you're right that he still wouldn't have seen many minutes and that Booth can still give more at PF.

madape
08-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Harvey is an extremely poor man's Fortson, and Fortson was a complete failure here. If we get 40 appearances out of Harvey next year, I will be surprised.

Of course, the moves we've made this summer might leave us no choice.

FilthyFinMavs
08-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
Why would you still want Fortson here? Atleast Nelson will play Booth some at C/PF. We don't need anymore bench warmers...

For this team..Booth is a better fit than Fortson.

Fortson also had Walker, Dirk and Jamison playing in front of him. If he were still here he would just have Dirk.

BaylorTMW
08-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Wasnt Fotson's best year the year that he played alongside Dampier? I would have loved to see that again...

Oh well...

FreshJive
08-26-2004, 04:43 PM
I liked watching Harvey when he was here, but I would rather see DJ get the backup PF minutes.

LRB
08-26-2004, 10:07 PM
I like the signing of Harvey as long as we can do some roster clearing trades to make room for him. We have too many bodies as it is now. And if we're still going to sign avery, then we'll have 4 bodies to get rid of. That's a lot.

jayC
08-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Fortson had how many DNP's at Golden St. Teams are enamored with his rebounding soon find out he is nothing more then a one dimensional player. He has no hops, not a good defender, not a scorer and can't pass. I like Harvey for the vet minimum, he can be a better najera. The one thing that sticks out in my mind is that he was a helluva college player an absolute beast.

Dirk Nowitzki
08-26-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by: madape
Harvey is an extremely poor man's Fortson, and Fortson was a complete failure here. If we get 40 appearances out of Harvey next year, I will be surprised.

Of course, the moves we've made this summer might leave us no choice.

There is really little comparison between Forts game & Harveys game other than rebounding. other than that, Harvey can actualy get up & down the floor, play defense, get more than 3 inches off of the ground & probably figure out where the hell to be on the offensive end. If this signing happens, it is exactly what the Mavs need at the back up pf spot. A guy who does not demand shots & if he ever does take a shot, more than likely it will be withen 5 feet.

mavsfanforever
08-26-2004, 11:15 PM
I remember reading some articles from Doc on Harvey. Doc can you find it?

fin4life
09-16-2004, 03:52 PM
I hate to bring up old threads... but was there any truth to this? Are the mavs still going to sign Harvey? Have they already done it? What is going on?

dalmations202
09-16-2004, 04:39 PM
I hate to bring up old threads... but was there any truth to this? Are the mavs still going to sign Harvey? Have they already done it? What is going on?

I doubt they sign him, but they might if certain things happen. Right now, I don't think they know exactly what the are going to do.

EricaLubarsky
09-16-2004, 04:49 PM

Don't feel bad. Many of us are wondering whats up. No AJ signing, no buyouts, and no Harvey. It's the offseason and I see this as one of the more important issues.

fin4life
09-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Im glad to know that Im not the only one who doesnt know whats going on. I guess this is just something that Norm said with nothing to back it up

FishForLunch
09-17-2004, 01:20 AM
Norm always had a man crush on Harvey since we drafted him.

Poindexter Einstein
09-17-2004, 02:03 AM
There was NEVER any hard news on this, it was just a Norm-wish that got blown out of proportion.

The REPORTS at the same time said the Mavs plans had ALAN HENDERSON as their backup PF idea. Whether you like Henderson or not, if healthy, he probably can do more things than Harvey. And he is already on the roster. Any idea other than Henderson didnt come from the Mavs, it came from someone's "fantasy GM" world.

sike
09-17-2004, 11:16 AM
I'm not a huge fan of eating that Henderson contract. 8mil for a back up PF? let him sit and insurance will pick up a lot of that 8 mil.

Poindexter Einstein
09-17-2004, 12:29 PM
There is no assurance that Henderson would be eligible for insurance if he didnt play. If he is healthy, the Mavs most likely will not be able to collect insurance. He is already on the roster, and you would be eating that contract only if you did not use him and derive some value from what you are paying.

And the idea of not using your best players "because we want to collect insurance" is nutty. You only try to allay the cost of Henderson's contract if he is not a rotation player.

The Mavs dont seem to have a problem with using Henderson in the rotation, so it is silly to obsess about the size of his contract for the year. Adding Harvey just ADDS TO payroll, as well as to the dilemna of too many players, and thus makes no sense on any level.