PDA

View Full Version : Melo sees silver lining in bronze-medal story

MavsFanFinley
09-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Melo sees silver lining in bronze-medal story

Aaron J. Lopez, Rocky Mountain News

BOULDER - In 10 days, Carmelo Anthony will sign copies of a biography that chronicles the tough lessons he learned on the way to stardom.

Unfortunately, there will be a chapter missing.

"We could have waited until after the Olympics and added more stuff," his agent, Calvin Andrews, joked Friday.

While hardly the feel-good blueprint of Olympics dreams, Anthony's experience with the bronze medal-winning U.S. basketball team was in some ways typical Melo.

From poor decisions he made while growing up in one of Baltimore's bleaker neighborhoods to mistakes he made as a rookie with the Denver Nuggets last season, Anthony often does things the hard way.

"In order to experience joy, you've got to have pain. That's my motto right now," he said. "I always do things the hard way, and I did this (the Olympics) the hard way, but it's going to turn out good."

If the response Anthony received Friday during an appearance at the University of Colorado is any indication, his widespread popularity will be diminished little by his forgettable two weeks in Athens.

Hundreds of students chanted his name during an appearance on The Best Damn Sports Show, Period, and they clamored for autographs afterward.

They apparently were uninfluenced by the negative press Anthony received at the Olympics.

Playing sparingly, he was criticized by U.S. coach Larry Brown, who was irked by Anthony's body language. Brown also said Anthony was not buying into what the team was trying to do.

Some members of the media were even more scathing, with one writer for foxsports.com calling Anthony "a disgrace."

"Come on, you don't even know me like that and you're going to tell me I'm a disgrace to my country?" Anthony said. "That was hard to take."

As for Brown, Anthony is tired of answering questions about the tense relationship with his temporary coach.

"I don't want to hear about him no more. That's over with," he said.

Anthony, who, in the weeks leading up to the Games guaranteed a gold medal, plans to use his Team USA experience as motivation for the upcoming season.

One day after returning to Denver, he was in the Pepsi Center working on his jump shot and lifting weights.

"Some things didn't go the way he planned, but I think it was a blessing in disguise," Andrews said. "I think you're going to see a tremendous improvement, not only in his game and energy, but his maturity."

Case in point: Anthony sees his bronze medal as a badge of honor. He will keep the medal in a trophy case and plans to upgrade at the 2008 Summer Games.

"I'm a bronze medalist now," he said. "Hopefully, in '08 I'll be a gold medalist."

Notice he did not make any guarantees.

fin4life
09-06-2004, 11:16 AM
why would anyone buy a 19-year-old's autobiography???

sike
09-06-2004, 11:17 AM
Carmelo Anthony will sign copies of a biography that chronicles the tough lessons he learned on the way to stardom.
....what is he, like 21 or something???? a biography from a kid....nice.

EricaLubarsky
09-06-2004, 11:31 AM
The guy is an egomaniacal looney toon.