PDA

View Full Version : Former NBA player Alphonso Ford dies at 32

MavsFanFinley
09-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Former NBA player Alphonso Ford dies at 32

September 6, 2004

PESARO, Italy (Ticker) - Former NBA player Alphonso Ford, who had been battling leukemia while playing in Europe over the last several years, died Sunday in Memphis, Tennessee. He was 32.

Ford spent the last seven years stricken with leukemia. He played for Pesaro last season but was unable to return to Italy this summer due to his condition.

"It is a big loss for basketball but especially for those who have had the pleasure of knowing Alphonso's value and correctness in the hardwood," Italian Basketball League president Enrico Prandi said.

"For me it has been an honor to coach him," Pesaro coach Phil Melillo said. "He has been the best player I have ever had. He asked me several times this summer about the team we were constructing. He was enthusiastic about returning; that is why people loved him."

Ford was a high school teammate of Dallas Mavericks guard Michael Finley in Chicago and played collegiately at Mississippi Valley State before being drafted in 1993 by the Philadelphia 76ers. He also played briefly for the Seattle SuperSonics.

In Europe, Ford played in Greece, Italy, Spain and Turkey. In the Italian League last season, he averaged 22.2 points per game and led Pesaro to the Lega A semifinals. He also was the top scorer in Euroleague play from 2000-03.

Ford is survived by his wife, Paula, and sons Karlderek and Alphonso Jr. Representatives of Pesaro will travel to the United States on Wednesday for his funeral.

sike
09-06-2004, 11:35 PM
32........to young.

dirno2000
09-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Ford was a high school teammate of Dallas Mavericks guard Michael Finley in Chicago and played collegiately at Mississippi Valley State before being drafted in 1993 by the Philadelphia 76ers. He also played briefly for the Seattle SuperSonics.I think they're confusing Alfonso Ford with Sherril(sp) Ford. As I recall, Alfonso Ford is from Mississippi.

Bayliss
09-07-2004, 05:02 PM
You are correct Dirno. Sherrell Ford, and Donnie Boyce were Finley's teammates/friends growing up. All had "hoop dreams" in college. Only Finley made it. Boyce was similar to Bryant Stith in that he had injuries galore and Sherrell was a one trick pony similar to Cedric Ceballos.

FilthyFinMavs
09-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Also I could be wrong but from what I heard Finley was suppose to be the worst of the 3.