PDA

View Full Version : 76ers waive Greg Buckner

MavsFanFinley
09-08-2004, 02:42 PM
A couple articles on realgm speculate he'll end up in Denver.

76ers waive Greg Buckner

September 8, 2004

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Greg Buckner was waived by the 76ers on Wednesday after two seasons in Philadelphia.

The 6-foot-4 guard averaged 4.8 points, 2.5 rebounds and 1.1 assists since joining the team as a free agent in 2002. He played in 128 games, averaging about 17.3 minutes.

Buckner was drafted out of Clemson in 1998 by the Mavericks. He played in Dallas for three seasons before coming to Philadelphia.

Over his career, he has averaged 5.3 points, 3.2 rebounds, and 1.1 assists per game.

FilthyFinMavs
09-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Didn't the 6ers over pay to get him? What has happened to Buck? Is it injuries? I must say if we didn't have a overloaded roster i'd love to bring him back to our team. We aren't really loaded at the 3 position however.

Male30Dan
09-08-2004, 04:16 PM
I really hated to see this guy go, but with our team now, he is the last thing we need!!!

dalmations202
09-08-2004, 04:28 PM
We already are overloaded at the 2, we don't need another. Although, I like his game.

Dooby
09-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Didn't the 6ers over pay to get him?

Wow. Buck is owed $13M over the next 4 years by the Sixers. That wasn't a very good deal made by them. Buck might want to just sit around and not do anything.

FilthyFinMavs
09-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by: Dooby

Wow. Buck is owed $13M over the next 4 years by the Sixers. That wasn't a very good deal made by them. Buck might want to just sit around and not do anything.

See that's what I was thinking. I remember it was like a 5 or 6 year deal. Why would you just release that away? You could've packaged him somehow.

MavKikiNYC
09-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by: Dooby

Buck should take up golf.

Drbio
09-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Whoa!

Denver huh? hhmmmm......

kg_veteran
09-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Shocking that the Sixers would just cut him. Talk about a team resigned to its salary cap fate...

Dirkenstien
09-08-2004, 08:04 PM
Surprising unfolding events of the shaky situation with Philly and Buckner. Some team will welcome him with open arms..(Houston/Miami)?

EricaLubarsky
09-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Until he left Dallas, I never would have guessed that he was undersized for even a two. I remember him playing three fairly effectively.

If he played like he did here, he would be a nice addition to the new, defensive-minded Mavs, but we are getting our scoring from the 1,2 and 4 spots and are already loaded at everything but the 4.

fin4life
09-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Buckner should be thrilled. He gets to go to a better team and still gets paid his money. Also... he will get ANOTHER NBA CONTRACT on top of his $13mil that he will make anyways. I would kill for an NBA contact... let alone 2.

I wish that we could pick him up, but this is definetly a good thing for buckner

mavsfanforever
09-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Buckner is poor man's Malik Rose.

EricaLubarsky
09-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Buckner is poor man's Malik Rose.

Buckner is a 6'4" Malik Rose, with less offense, but that is what you already said.

DevinHarriswillstart
09-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Apparently he is only getting 8 of the 13 million.

EricaLubarsky
09-09-2004, 04:45 PM
it doesnt make any sense when T-Macc would have been cheaper to cut.

MikeB
09-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Buckner going to Denver.
Buckner (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=knight-nuggetseyebucknerfordepth&prov=knight&type=lgns)

EricaLubarsky
09-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by: MikeB
Buckner going to Denver.
Buckner (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=knight-nuggetseyebucknerfordepth&prov=knight&type=lgns)

the Nuggets are going to give us fits at every position on the court.

sike
09-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

Buckner going to Denver.

what do you think the season record will be against the Nuggets...I'll predict they split the series 2-2...then again, one of these teams could implode...

EricaLubarsky
09-13-2004, 01:18 AM
I'll go with 2-2, and I'll take the risky prediction that one win for each team will be away from home.

fin4life
09-13-2004, 08:58 PM
we usually do pretty well in denver because we are on of the best conditioned teams in the league... and that is very important in the altitude. I would expect for Denver to have a great home record this year, but i think that we can steal one there.

endtroducing
09-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

Buckner going to Denver.

are you being sarcastic? I REALLY doubt voshon lenard will give Marquis and Stack any problems. same with Martin on Dirk...since when could he defend perimeter players? Terry is way too quick for Miller, too...

seal614
09-14-2004, 09:58 AM
Carmelo? Nene? Camby?

endtroducing
09-14-2004, 01:31 PM
the only place I forsee Dallas having problems is with Finley and Carmelo...but Howard, I'm sure, could do more than hold his own against him.

DubOverdose
09-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Carmelo=Antoine Walker...check Walker's first season stats and you'll understand that he's overhyped. Denver caught the Mavs offguard last season, that better not happen again. This DEEP Mavs squad should go 3-1 against the Nugz.

DevinHarriswillstart
09-15-2004, 09:58 AM
How does having Buckner make anyone deep? There is a reason he was waived, other then just the money. He's just an oft-injured, short guard/forward. He does play some good D....that's it. We have plenty of D in our back court too though. In fact, our guards definitely out-weight theirs. Terry/Harris are near equal to the combo of Miller/Boykins.....Daniels/Stack> Lenord/Buckner...not even close there folks.....Finley/Howard>Melo/White??....I'd take Melo over FIn, but depth wise, we still come out winners......K-Mart/Nene>Dirk/Hedu....I love Dirk, but depth wise, they take the cake here........Damp/Booth>Camby/?.....Camby is an injury away from no career and although he did have a good season last year, Damp had a better one.

So, I'm not sure what the fuss is about, we will hold our own very well.