PDA

View Full Version : Who is better: Garnett or Duncan

Male30Dan
09-08-2004, 02:58 PM
I have mixed feelings, but this is causing a big discussion in the Trade section, so I thought I would put it to a vote... Gotta love Democracy!!!

Male30Dan
09-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Personally, I voted for Tim, because that is the type of leadership I would prefer to build my team around; however, I think KG is probably the better all around player!!!

Remember to consider both of those aspects when voting!!!

poohrichardson
09-08-2004, 03:07 PM
I think Garnett is a better leader than Duncan. I like Duncan's leadership by example fine, but I like Garnett's "rally the troops" leadership. I think his intensity rubs off on every competent player on his team (I only say "competent" because Olowokandi plays like a JV player) and they were just two injuries away from winning the title last year. I know it's a pretty controversial take to say that the Wolves could have beaten the Pistons, but I think a healthy Minnesota club is the best in the league.

Male30Dan
09-08-2004, 03:08 PM
I guess we will see, because they have basically the same team... Thanks for voting though!

V2M
09-08-2004, 03:24 PM
I voted "Tim Duncan hands down". He's as complete a big man as there ever is/was.

Agreed, Garnett has better numbers last year but what Duncan's been doing for 7 years can't be discounted. Moreover, Duncan was hurt and missed several games on 2 different occassions last year.

LRB
09-08-2004, 03:46 PM
I voted TD, but it's very close. I don't think that there is a huge talent gap, but I'd take TD over KG almost every time. Other than Shaq, I don't know of a player in the same class a TD in the post. TD is solid fundamentally and gives any team a needed post option with decent range out to 15+ feet. Garnett is not chopped liver by any means. However Garnett isn't anywhere the level that TD is in the post. If I'm going to build a team, I'd love to have a great post player.

Male30Dan
09-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by: LRB
I voted TD, but it's very close. I don't think that there is a huge talent gap, but I'd take TD over KG almost every time. Other than Shaq, I don't know of a player in the same class a TD in the post. TD is solid fundamentally and gives any team a needed post option with decent range out to 15+ feet. Garnett is not chopped liver by any means. However Garnett isn't anywhere the level that TD is in the post. If I'm going to build a team, I'd love to have a great post player.

I completely agree; however, there is something to be said for the 16-25 distance that KG can outperform Duncan in... Good answer though as I also think a great fundamentally sound post up game is something any team would love to have!!!

mavsman55
09-08-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm with Garnett. Statwise, Garnett is a more complete player. Let's look at these stats: In 2003, Kevin averaged 24.2 points per game compared to Duncan's 22.1. Garnett also averaged 13.9 rebounds per game compared to Duncan's 11.3. Garnett averaged 5.0 assists per game compared to Duncan's 3.2. Garnett also averages more blocks and steals per game than Duncan. Kevin shoots over 15% better from the free throw line than Duncan does. Duncan can play defense, but is rather lazy at times. I have, not once in my entire life, seen Kevin Garnett do anything without putting forth 110% on a basketball court. Not once. Garnett plays shut-down defense and is a great team leader along with Duncan. Take into consideration that Garnett also averages less fouls per game than Duncan and this one should be a no-brainer. Kevin Garnett has surpassed Tim Duncan in every stat possible except for fg%. But when taken into consideration everything else he has done for his team, I have no problem considering him a better player than Tim Duncan.

Male30Dan
09-08-2004, 04:34 PM
The inability to properly look up stats does not work wonders for your opinion...

Duncan - 2.68 BPG
Garnett - 2.17 BPG

Male30Dan
09-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by: mavsman55
I'm with Garnett. Statwise, Garnett is a more complete player. Let's look at these stats: In 2003, Kevin averaged 24.2 points per game compared to Duncan's 22.1. Garnett also averaged 13.9 rebounds per game compared to Duncan's 11.3. Garnett averaged 5.0 assists per game compared to Duncan's 3.2. Garnett also averages more blocks and steals per game than Duncan. Kevin shoots over 15% better from the free throw line than Duncan does. Duncan can play defense, but is rather lazy at times. I have, not once in my entire life, seen Kevin Garnett do anything without putting forth 110% on a basketball court. Not once. Garnett plays shut-down defense and is a great team leader along with Duncan. Take into consideration that Garnett also averages less fouls per game than Duncan and this one should be a no-brainer. Kevin Garnett has surpassed Tim Duncan in every stat possible except for fg%. But when taken into consideration everything else he has done for his team, I have no problem considering him a better player than Tim Duncan.

I also think the lack of emotion from Duncan helps in your opinion of him being a "lazy defender."

I personally do not think he is anything of the sort, but I can understand that while watching his tame personality one could come to that conclusion!!!

V2M
09-08-2004, 08:10 PM
It's funny how many people think Duncan's not aggressive because he doesn't show his emotions!!

He just channels all his energy into doing the right things every play on both ends of the floor. He's always focussed on the task and rarely gets upset at the referees or at the opposing players.

Players have different ways of displaying their aggression and to me their's no player who's more aggressive than Duncan.

seal614
09-08-2004, 08:15 PM
Garnett puts up numbers like I've never seen, across the board. Timmy is not far behind and he literally has taken his team to the championship. Although Garnett's run this year showed a lot. THat's why I voted TD but CLOSE.

- Brian

DubOverdose
09-08-2004, 08:22 PM
KG bugs the poo out of me, TD hands down.

mavsfanforever
09-08-2004, 08:25 PM
TD hands down. TD has two rings and was a stud in college too. WCF is the most Garnett has been to and I think TD did it with much less talent around him than Garnett. Infact, TD is the best player in the league right now.

SaltwaterChaffy
09-08-2004, 08:41 PM
This may sound weird, but I'd take Garnett as the player, but I'd rather build my team around Duncan.

Male30Dan
09-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
This may sound weird, but I'd take Garnett as the player, but I'd rather build my team around Duncan.

Not weird at all... I feel the same way... That is why I made the question the way I did!!!

fin4life
09-08-2004, 09:05 PM
I voted duncan... but very close. I think Garnett might be more talented, but duncan has more skins on the wall. 2 MVPS and 2 Titles is hard to compete with. As soon as KG wins a title, i might change my mind

twelli
09-08-2004, 10:26 PM
x losses in the first round against 2 rings -- Tim Duncan wins hands down

both are great players to watch, though

bernardos70
09-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Tim, but very close. Most fundamental player in the league (yeah, I know, clich&eacutei/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif. I like his leadership, his play is efficient. He knows the game, he'll punish you all day long, makes other players around him better. He's the works.

Why very close: Garnett is almost even talent wise to Duncan IMO. Duncan's proven all the way. One thing I loved to see from Garnett though was, surprisingly enough, getting elbowed by anthony peeler and keeping his cool, knowing he couldn't get tossed out of the game, while anthony peeler wasn't nearly as important to the Kings. By not retaliating, he showed to me he's smart enough and in control enough to lead a team to a title later on. Then again, he clocked a rookie during training for scoring on him.........

MavsFanFinley
09-08-2004, 11:04 PM
Give me Duncan every time.

sike
09-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted byi/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gifoohrichardson
I think Garnett is a better leader than Duncan.
change this to "louder leader" and I'm right there with ya...

I took TD..but it is close...they are very different players who put up surprisingly similar stats...I'll go with the guy who does not have the rep of not getting it done in the big game...give me the great fundamental.

Murphy3
09-09-2004, 06:52 AM
I'd take Duncan without a doubt. Him and Shaq are the two most important players to their teams in the NBA.

Shaq Attack2
09-09-2004, 07:39 AM
Duncan, easily. Not much more needs to be said about how he effects a game offensively and defensively. It is unmatched in the NBA at the moment. No, not even Shaq comes close, because he rarely plays defense anymore.

dalmations202
09-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Give me Duncan every time.

And twice on days that end in "Y".

mavsman55
09-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by: Male23Dan
The inability to properly look up stats does not work wonders for your opinion...

Duncan - 2.68 BPG
Garnett - 2.17 BPG

Sorry, my bad. But still, other than blocks and fg%, Garnett beats out Duncan everywhere else on the stat line. In terms of being a more complete player, Garnett has my vote.

kg_veteran
09-09-2004, 02:52 PM
There's no doubt about it. Duncan, hands down.

Male30Dan
09-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by: mavsman55

Originally posted by: Male23Dan

Duncan - 2.68 BPG
Garnett - 2.17 BPG

Sorry, my bad. But still, other than blocks and fg%, Garnett beats out Duncan everywhere else on the stat line. In terms of being a more complete player, Garnett has my vote.

In ONE year, that is true... Again, I have mixed feelings about this, and I am suprised to see so many people say that Duncan is FAR AND AWAY the better player... To me, more is involved, (like health and age issues), when looking into which one to choose to build a team around... I think Duncan is the guy for me, but KG is VERY close behind... Hell, in a year or two, KG might be FAR AND AWAY better than Duncan... Who knows!

V2M
09-09-2004, 04:56 PM
In a year or two, Dirk could be far and away better than either of these two... who knows?! i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Nash13
09-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Duncan by far. Duncan doesn't punch his teammates because they went past him. Duncan has proven that he's a better leader, and for a career averages more points/rebounds/fg%/Blocks.

mavsman55
09-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by: Nash13
Duncan by far. Duncan doesn't punch his teammates because they went past him.

You got me there man. Skillwise, I'm with Garnett. But Duncan has the attitude and personality of a team leader.

RocketFan11
09-09-2004, 11:09 PM
KG will pass Duncan if he ever learns how to be a dominating low post presence. Right now when Garnett catches the ball in the block, it's always head-fake, pivot, head-fake, pivot, head-fake, pivot, fallaway jump shot. But if he improves his offense in the low post area, watch out.

Just211
09-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Timmy easy. he is a better player period.
And I think there is something to loud leaders (KG), they are usually not the true team leader, but like to look like they are. IMO KG is a big act, with the "intense" look all the time. You lead better through your actions....which is Timmy. And we have no ideal what Timmy says in the locker room, or even on the floor, we just take it for granted that he doesn't do anything(leaderwise), just because he doesn't yell or show up his teammates on the court.

Male30Dan
09-09-2004, 11:53 PM
I wish I had the photoshop talent that some of you do... Great work on the banners...

dmavsfan
09-10-2004, 12:06 AM
TD or garnett.....hmmmmmmm. Dirk Nowitzki hands down!!!

endtroducing
09-10-2004, 08:59 AM
"hands down" has to be the most overused phrase ever. I take garnett. he has cooler uniforms.

dalmations202
09-10-2004, 09:05 AM
As of 09:00 AM CDT

TD 41
KGarnett 6

Male30Dan
09-10-2004, 09:52 AM
I really did not expect these results!

jayC
09-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Considering if Duncan wasn't on the team the Spurs wouldn't make the playoffs. Its Duncan in today's game he is the closest thing in the world to a superstar. Count them two NBA championships and two MVP's. The best part is he is not a premadonna. You never hear him calling out teammates, or trash talking opposing cities or players. Duncan gets to the line more then KG. He is the only pure post player in the game, besides Shaq. Duncan does it with such fluidity and grace too.