PDA

View Full Version : Meet the Mavs Sept. 17th -- Added the transcript

VivaNajera
09-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Just got a letter from the Mavs today saying that there will be a special live press conference for current and prospective season ticket holders on September 17th from 2:30-5:30. from 2:30-3:30 you can watch a live broadcast of the formal press conference on the overhead ProStar monitor. At 3:30, the new mavs and coaches will take the stage and answer questions from the fans in attendance.

dirk2003
09-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Will the press conference be televised?

nowitzki_prophecy
09-10-2004, 04:30 AM
The revolution will not be televised

The Miles
09-10-2004, 12:37 PM
I would think NBA TV would carry the press conference like they did for Devin Harris and Pavel Podkolzin's.

sike
09-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by: nowitzki_prophecy
that was a pretty pretentious but pretty cool ad campaign....

Joey
09-10-2004, 07:34 PM

That is an awesome song! It was so dark and in your face. I can hear the bongo drums now...

EricaLubarsky
09-13-2004, 01:08 AM

Can I steal it?

endtroducing
09-13-2004, 09:27 AM
it takes a nation of Nelsons to hold us back

XERXES
09-13-2004, 09:50 AM
I got the same letter. I'm thinking about going.

sike
09-13-2004, 11:50 AM
sex: I got the same letter. I'm thinking about going.

you gotta go, sex, we who did not receive the letter need info! i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Mandyahl
09-13-2004, 01:33 PM
i'm going if i get off work in time, which i should....i'm excited about it, actually.

Smiles
09-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by: dirk2003
I emailed one of the AV guys at AAC, and here is what he replied:

"I doubt any of the local stations will carry it live, maybe some radio stations. 103.3 should since they are the flagship station... "

I plan to be there for at least part of it... Mandyahl, what section are you in?

fabolous
09-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by: Smiles

Originally posted by: dirk2003
I emailed one of the AV guys at AAC, and here is what he replied:

"I doubt any of the local stations will carry it live, maybe some radio stations. 103.3 should since they are the flagship station... "

I plan to be there for at least part of it... Mandyahl, what section are you in?

is 103.3 the ticket? if not, is there a webstream?

fabolous
09-17-2004, 12:50 PM
ups,
sorry for the double post...

Bluwizard
09-17-2004, 02:30 PM
103.3 is espn but the ticket will carry it live go here theticket.com (http://www.theticket.com)

Simon2
09-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Its on right now.

Nellie and Donnie saying that this is the most "traditional" lineup ever. Does that mean he'll play a traditional lineup?

Cuban says he has high expectations

Stackhouse just said he's the sixth man. Its nice to hear that he accepts the role.

Terry says he will push the ball and the Mavs will win.

Simon2
09-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Nellie just mentioned that Bradley is the 3rd center!

Stackhouse called Dirk "The Diggler"

mavs413
09-17-2004, 04:23 PM
I just started listening right now.
Is it over or is it just a break?

Smiles
09-17-2004, 04:35 PM
Just a break.

kingrex
09-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Like all events of this type, everyone's saying the right things.

And as a fan, I can't wait for the season to start. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

DubOverdose
09-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Darn...i listened to the station on the net, but all i got was the break i guess but i thought it was over so i didn't listen. Did Nellie say who the second center is? Dirk, DJ, Booth, Dickau (small ball center) etc?

sike
09-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Booth was implied.

This is the first interview I have heard of either Damp or JT....I was impressed with both. I like JT's confidence on learning Nellie's system(I will do whatever coach asks of me...I just want to win)..and Nellie's comment on him liking that with JT he has a point who can be a presense on the defensive end(a slight and subtle shot at Nash?)...also liked the attitude of Damp...he is ready to prove people wrong by working hard every night.

rakesh.s
09-17-2004, 05:52 PM
basically a love fest and everyone said all the right things..just like it is every year after the slew of trades

we'll see what they do during the season....i still think they should play half court with the ball going into dirk or dampier and then kicking it out....i hope it plays out that way

fabolous
09-17-2004, 06:00 PM
was avery johnson at the conference, or was anything said about some more buyouts (esch, dickau)?

Mandyahl
09-17-2004, 06:12 PM
i just got back from it, and it was loads of fun...dampier seemed really nervous around everyone, but stackhouse and terry (especially terry) really knew how to play to the crowd. people asked some good questions, although i don't think we really learned anything new.

after the questions, they lined the players up and let everyone go up and shake their hands...no autographs, but it was still cool to say a few words to these guys. again, i was amazed at how personable terry was...i think he will quickly become a fan (and media) favorite.

DevinHarriswillstart
09-17-2004, 06:18 PM
I went to the fan thing. Funny thing is you didn't actually have to be a season ticket holder, but they were selling season tickets. It was really neat actually. The fans got their own press conferece and asked better questions then the press did. Some quesitons and pointers

Where is Avery?
He'll be signed next week.

Damp play in contract year?
Gave up money to opt out, blah blah, wants to work hard on contending team

Stack's Role?
6th man....He said its better to be a 6th man then going home in april

Hendu healthy?
He is healthier, but sounded like there could be some question marks

Terry's assists?
He basically promised that he would be top 10 in assists this year.

Will you play Damp Nellie?
Yes....lol, he said "yes" and not much more to a lot of questions. Same old Nellie.

Those were just a few of the questions.

It was interesting because Don Nelson said "we play defense first and score the ball second." That was nice to hear, but from the past, I'd actually like to see it.

My favorite guy was Jason Terry....when they announced his number, he came in waiving his jersey giving all of the fans high-five.

Damp looked extremely dis-intereseted. He seems more of a Tim Duncan, low profile personality.

A lot of Tar Heels fans in the audience cheering Stack. He was really professional.

The high-lite was shaking all of the players hands. I reminded Booth that I hadn't forgotten game 5 against Utah.

I told Mark Cuban that he did some good advertising for Jenga.

Shook the other players hands, then left.

Pretty much it. Nothing really new information wise except for Avery. Nellie did say if Hendu wasn't healthy, they wouuld look to make another move or play Booth at the 4 some.

endtroducing
09-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Terry is a class guy.

I went to a Hawks game two seasons ago, and it was right before they left for a stretch of road games...after it was over, the security people were telling all the fans where the players were getting on the bus, that we could get autographs...I tried to get Terry's attention, but he didn't see me, but he did when he got on the bus...I was waving my jersey in the air and he spotted me, and came back out and signed it for me, apologizing that he missed me the first time. He's the kind of guy you want in your locker room.

Rhylan
09-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
i just got back from it, and it was loads of fun...dampier seemed really nervous around everyone, but stackhouse and terry (especially terry) really knew how to play to the crowd. people asked some good questions, although i don't think we really learned anything new.

after the questions, they lined the players up and let everyone go up and shake their hands...no autographs, but it was still cool to say a few words to these guys. again, i was amazed at how personable terry was...i think he will quickly become a fan (and media) favorite.

You pretty much took the post right out of my mouth, Mandy.

It was an entertaining time and all the players said all the right things. I was also really impressed with Terry. Not just playing to the crowd, but just his overall attitude. Lots of energy in that guy. I also thought Damp seemed a little nervous. First question by the fans, a guy comes out and says "how do we know you weren't just playing for a contract?" Geez. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif He seems like just a really quiet, mind-his-own-business kinda guy. I hope it pans out.

Getting to talk to the guys and shake hands was cool, but it would've been off the charts if Avery had been there.

Great idea by the Mavs org to have something like this.

mavsfanforever
09-17-2004, 08:54 PM
Here is the entire transcript, I used my mod powers to edit the subject. I hope you don't mind Vivanajera.

Coach Don Nelson:
I think this summer Mark and Donnie have done a great job of assembling a really great team. Our coaching staff has been excited ever since we made our last deal. We feel really good about what they have assembled. We will probably be as traditional as we have ever been. We have centers who are centers, power forwards who are power forwards, etc. We have back-ups at every position. I think the strength and depth of our team is really strong. It’s now up to the coaching staff to put them together and get them to play winning basketball. The talent and the will to win is there and now we have to put the whole package together. This is as excited as I have been in a long time as far as our team is concerned.

Assistant Coach Donnie Nelson:
We are excited about the future. We feel like we are deep and are a little more traditional. The center position is something we wanted to address and we feel that we’ve done that in a big way. We feel that in the absence of Steve Nash, we got two very capable point guards that have very bright futures. We’ve got some very good help for Finley and some of our younger players. Jerry Stackhouse has been an impact player in this league for a long period of time and is looking for a challenge of making a run for the Western Conference. We needed some back-up help for Dirk Nowitzki and we feel that Alan Henderson will be looked at to fill some of those minutes. The five spot is as deep as we’ve ever had it in Dallas. Erick Dampier was one of the most coveted free agents this summer. We feel blessed to have him in a Mavs uniform. Calvin Booth had probably played his most successful basketball in a Mavs uniform a few years ago. He’s healthy for the first time in two years. We feel we are deep and talented and we feel we have the makings to make a run at things. It’s going to be an exciting year here in Dallas.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban:
I think this is the best team we’ve had since I’ve been here. Like everyone else has said it’s the strongest and deepest. We got some good steals. We got Jerry Stackhouse who is coming in as the unsung hero and he is here to surprise some people. With all the pieces we’ve put together, we are going into training camp in shape and ready to play. Since my first full year here I’ve had a lot of hopes, but not truly a lot of certainty. This is the first year that I am really excited.

On playing in a system that will maximize your skills:
Jason Terry:
I’m very excited. I’ve been here about three weeks and have gotten settled in. I’ve been working with the trainers and coaches. That day to play won’t come soon enough. We are going to tip it off with Sacramento and we’ll be ready.

Jerry Stackhouse:
I’m excited to be a part of it. Last season was a tough season for me. I can’t wait for the season to start.

On the chemistry of the team:
Calvin Booth:
It’s a little early to determine that. I think we are going to have a chance to develop something special. I think everyone is going to come in and have one thing on their mind: winning.

On replacing Steve Nash:
Jason Terry:
In 1998, he gave me a pair of his game shoes. Last time I checked they still fit! I’m not going to try to be Steve Nash. I’m going to be Jason Terry. I am going to do whatever the coaches ask of me. I think this team is a winner.

On your role:
Jerry Stackhouse:
I’m the sixth man. We have a lot of scorers on this team. It’s an opportunity for me to come in and thrive and to keep me going. I talked with the coaching staff and that is the role that they think will fit me best. It will be a challenge for me, but I look forward to that challenge.

On not knowing if he was going to with the Mavs:
Jerry Stackhouse: I think all the speculation came from you guys. From my first conversation with coach, he said I had to be his sixth man. He did tell me that there was a possibility that they were making a deal with Shaq. And that was the only thing I had heard. After that blew over. I think I have been a part of the plans. This is the best team I have been on top to bottom.

Link (http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/new_player_press_confernce_quotes.html)

Rhylan
09-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Here is the entire transcript

On the chemistry of the team:
Calvin Booth:
It’s a little early to determine that. I think we are going to have a chance to develop something special. I think everyone is going to come in and have one thing on their mind: winning.

Link (http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/new_player_press_confernce_quotes.html)

That was actually Dampier's quote.

mavsfanforever
09-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Rhylan, you are banned. Okay I just cut and pasted whatever I see when I follow the link.

Rhylan
09-17-2004, 09:24 PM
Hehehe.. just taking advantage of the fact that I was there. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

MavsFanFinley
09-17-2004, 09:25 PM
group picture (http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51319025.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=4755980F941D3EBACE5B681D93F3E37BA9C30E9B9B11 4CE8)

mavsfanforever
09-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Some dude was wearing Kidd jersey in that Pic.

MavsFanFinley
09-17-2004, 09:32 PM
I hope dmutt (from LMF) doesn't mind me posting this link here. His Mavs (maverickpride.com) site will relaunch on September 30th and will have more pictures up then. In the meantime, click here (http://www.exemdesigns.com/mavs.htm) to see a few pictures from the press conference.

Rhylan
09-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Man, I'm just off the right edge of that pic! The guy in the Kidd jersey stood up for Dampier after the one guy asked the first question about the contract. It was good for a laugh.

Edit.. in that second batch of pics, the guy in two of them is the fella that called Steve Nash, Steve "Cash." Hehehe.. he got a little bit of cheer and a little bit of boo. It was in a question posed to Terry about having extra motivation when we play the Suns, going against Nash. Terry said that he would look forward to going against Nash, etc, etc, and if necessary, he'd be ready to "take a little cash outta the bank." i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

You know what, I just realized, that guy was taking pictures right behind me.. at one point I was looking around with a typically goofy look on my face, seeing if i knew anybody there, and he snapped a picture. Probably not realizing I was looking right at him. Thanks dude, whoever you are, for not posting that one. You're my dawg.

FilthyFinMavs
09-17-2004, 09:53 PM
When I looked at that pic above first thing came to my mind is that those 5 players could start on a team in the East and be considered a contender. And those are just 5 of our new players coming to this team. This is going to be a great season.

HexNBA
09-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Jason Terry is ready to replace Steve Nash at point guard

JAIME ARON

Associated Press

DALLAS - Jason Terry is ready to replace Steve Nash at point guard. Jerry Stackhouse insists he's comfortable coming off the bench.

And Erick Dampier fully understands that he carries the burden of being the center the Dallas Mavericks have long been missing.

"Now it's up to the coaching staff to put it together and get us to play winning basketball at a high level," coach Don Nelson said Friday.

While Nelson and the Mavericks weren't able to make Shaquille O'Neal among their newcomers, the consensus within the organization is that things have worked out pretty well - especially after their offseason began with the stunning loss of Nash.

In reshaping a team that won 52 games but was knocked out in the first round of the playoffs, the Mavs have become what team officials are calling the "most traditional" of the Nelson era.

Interpretation: "We have centers who are centers, power forwards who are power forwards," Nelson said.

"On paper," he said, "it's the best team we've had."

The new look starts at point guard, with Terry the type of proven scorer and distributor Nelson likes running his offense. Terry jokes that he's ready to fill Nash's shoes because he already has a pair.

The Mavs played an exhibition game on the Arizona campus in 1998 when Terry in college and they used the Wildcats' locker room. Nash was the only player who wore the same size sneaker as Terry and he was nice enough to leave them behind.

"The last time I checked, they still fit," said Terry, happily sharing the anecdote.

Terry will be pushed for playing time by Devin Harris, the fifth overall pick in the draft and the presumed starter after Nash signed with Phoenix. Nelson said he expects Harris to develop into a quality player, but he's not yet ready to take over.

Marquis Daniels and Michael Finley are the incumbents at the swing spots, shooting guard and small forward. Stackhouse can replace either to provide instant offense, while Josh Howard can provide more defense and rebounding.

Stackhouse agreed to being a sixth man before being acquired. He explained Friday that he's not doing it to avoid wear and tear on his surgically repaired knee, but simply to be part of a winning team.

"Nothing is worse to me than going home in April," Stackhouse said. "This is the best team I've been on, top-to-bottom. We have a chance to really play for something big."

Dirk Nowitzki remains the star, perhaps more undeniably than ever. He'll no longer be bumped to small forward because of Antoine Walker or Antawn Jamison - both of whom were traded - and he won't be needed any more at center.

"He should be real happy with all this," said Nelson, who will turn to Alan Henderson whenever Nowitzki is out.

When Dallas played in the half court last year, the only reliable offensive play was the pick-and-roll with Nash and Nowitzki. That will change now, not because Nash is gone but because the Mavericks will have more inside options thanks to some unheard of depth at center.

Dampier heads the rotation, with Calvin Booth the top backup. Former starter Shawn Bradley falls to No. 3. There's also two rookie projects, first-round pick Pavel Podkolzin of Russia and D.J. Mbenga of the Congo.

Dampier is the one fans already are counting on to finally give Dallas a presence in the middle. He knows it, too, estimating he's been reminded of it more than a thousand times since he was acquired last month.

"It's going to be a challenge, but I'm really looking forward to it," he said.

Nelson's first challenge will be whittling the roster to 12 players. There have been 13 mentioned already, and the Mavs also have center Evan Eschmeyer, guard Dan Dickau and swingman Tariq Abdul-Wahad. Plus, Avery Johnson is expected to sign soon as a player and assistant coach. He's already paid a dividend by helping convince Dampier to pick Dallas.

Even if the Mavs try clearing up the logjam by making more trades, don't expect a blockbuster like the acquisition of Walker midway through training camp last year.

Instead, Nelson will spend camp making sure players get to know each other, figuring out the best way to use them getting them to accept and understand their new roles.

"I think every position will be stronger defensively, yet I think we'll score it equally as well as we have in the past," Nelson said. "That's a good combination."

endtroducing
09-17-2004, 11:02 PM
wait...are Cuban and Terry THAT close to being the same height?

Rhylan
09-17-2004, 11:31 PM
Terry is listed at 6'2", but I am 6' in shoes, and we were pretty much the same height.

A couple of other observations I forgot to mention...

1 - Nellie was the only one who didn't stick around to greet the fans afterward.
2 - Mike Fisher was inexplicably wearing his Sunday best sportcoat and white shirt. (This one is for Murph).
3 - Bob Ortegel was sporting some pimpin' black & white shoes.

MavsFanFinley
09-18-2004, 12:31 AM
New look suits Mavs, but is it enough?

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

It's impossible not to believe Don Nelson when he gushes about the upcoming season.

We've all been around the Mavericks coach long enough to know he wouldn't leave his beloved Maui and consent to wear a pair of dress shoes – or any shoes, for that matter – at this time of year unless he was genuinely excited about what lies ahead.

"I do feel, on paper, it's the best team we've had," Nelson said Friday afternoon, flanked by owner Mark Cuban, son Donnie Nelson and five players who are part of the team's extreme makeover. "It doesn't mean it's going to be. You've still got to put it from paper into reality.

"This is as excited as I've been in a long, long time as far as our team is concerned."

Nelson has always sold hope and excitement in the off-season. That's one thing he and Cuban have in common. Another is the realization that this team had to go in a different direction.

A franchise that marketed and embraced its unconventional image ever since Cuban's arrival is now touting how conventional it will be. The centers on this roster are finally true centers. The Mavericks will still run more than most teams, but won't be afraid to execute a half-court offense or be ashamed of their defense.

All of this is an admission that the other way didn't work. But those words weren't uttered Friday. You couldn't go more than a minute without a player expressing his gratitude or Nelson and Cuban spouting optimism.

"I'll say this with all honesty," Cuban said. "Every other year, I've come in here with high hopes but not really, truly, with high certainty.

"This is the first year where I think everyone is going to underestimate us and we're going to knock a few guys on their butts."

Three of the players who were presented to the media and season-ticket holders Friday will help determine if these hopes are justified.

Will Erick Dampier give Dallas the strong presence it has always lacked in the middle, or will he be an updated version of James Donaldson? If Dampier can make a difference, will Nelson's system allow it?

"I've heard it 1,000 times, about how the Mavericks haven't had a center in their system in quite awhile," Dampier said. "It's going to be a challenge.

"I'm looking forward to it."

Can Jason Terry fill Steve Nash's shoes at point guard?

"In 1998, he gave me a pair of his game shoes," Terry said. "The last time I checked, I can still fit in them.

"But no, I'm not going to look to be Steve Nash. I'm going to be Jason Terry."

Jerry Stackhouse is the off-season acquisition who hasn't received his due. He's a two-time All-Star, a player who has averaged 20.9 points for his career.

And now he's on the bench. His willingness to accept the sixth-man role behind Michael Finley will go a long way toward determining team chemistry.

"It's a little different for me, but I think I can put my mindset to doing it," Stackhouse conceded. "This whole situation beats going home in April. I'll do whatever I can to extend my play.

"I don't think it will be any issue."

Everyone says the right thing now. But the answer to these questions won't come in September. The hunch here is that they won't come in November or December, either.

This is a team with three new starters and up to nine new players. Conventional doesn't mean seamless. Excitement doesn't ensure a better record.

Cuban and Nelson will never say it, but this is a transition season. The Mavericks are building a team that can go deeper in the playoffs and be coached by Nelson's successor. A certain amount of friction is inherent.

Can all this come together in 2004-05? It's too early to say.

But if it could get Nelson into a pair of dress shoes and a coat and tie, maybe it has a chance.

"The talent is there," Nelson said. "The will to win is there.

"Now, we have to put the whole package together."

VivaNajera
09-18-2004, 12:36 AM
Press Conference Audio (http://webpages.charter.net/gline/mavspressconference091704.mp3)

sike
09-18-2004, 03:24 PM
here (http://dallasbasketball.com/headline_A.asp?pr=)

Promises, Promises
A Day With The 5 New Veteran Mavs

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
A bold Don Nelson is handing out positives and promises. … that and much more from a coming-out party with the Mavs:

On the subjects of his willingness to play a “true center,’’ to follow a more traditional line of thinking in his lineups, and the potential of this team, Nellie issued positives and promises.
“We’re bigger, we’re stronger, we’re quicker,’’ Nellie says. “We will score the ball the same as we always have, but we’ll also be much better defensively. … We’ll still run, but we’ll be a more traditional team with a true center. … I have a lot of confidence we can be a great team.’’

Is this Dirk’s team? Nellie insists that Michael Finley “has been our leader for a long, long time, and I would suggest to everyone that he will continue in that role.’’
Nellie says that almost defiantly, almost as if he’s defending Fin. But in the next breath, after mentioning that he intends to start Fin and bring Stack off the bench, he also said that Finley’s minutes will be “in the 20’s’’ while Dirk “will be the only guy I rely on for heavy minutes, 37-38.’’

It is clear that no matter who wears the title of leader, The UberMan will be the on-court focus. “Nowitzki will have his most productive year ,’’ Nellie says.

Marquis Daniels is a full-time starter. “He has ingredients we really like,’’ Nellie says. “He’s a fine defender. And he has some point forward skills.’’
Hey, Nellie: Traditional, remember? Seriously, we have no problem with a point forward – as long as the guy is actually a guard.

Michael Finley is also a starter. That puts Jerry Stackhouse on the bench, a role he’s clearly had rationalized for him.
“It will obviously be an adjustment, but I’ll try to use my minutes the best I can,’’ Stack says. “Some people might look at it as a demotion. I think it’s a great opportunity. I’ll be the focus of the second unit.’’
Noting that his predecessor as the Mavs’ sixth man, North Carolina buddy Antawn Jamison, used the same logic to get recognition as the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year, Stack says, “Let’s go for it! Two in a row sounds great.’’
DB.COM BOARDS
FISH ON RADIO: LISTEN!

As reported here a while back, the Mavs believe in Alan Henderson as a backup power forward. But Henderson seems to talk cautiously when discussing the back problems that have kept him from being the productive player he once was. This bears watching. …

Avery Johnson will get signed next week, and while he’ll have a players’ contract, he’ll truly be a coach first and a fixture on the injured list.
You do, however, get the distinct impression that AJ will have a terrifically positive influence on Dampier -- and that AJ being here might be one reason Damp ended up wanting to come.

Rookie Devin Harris , Nellie promises, “will be a very fine player. He’s not really to play 30 minutes. But as a backup he’ll be a very fine player. Steve Nash will be missed, but we replaced him with two good players (Terry and Harris).’’

Nellie offered up a nifty bit of Coachspeak when asked about different players’ roles: “Defense first, shoot the ball and other offensive things second, that’s your role,’’ the coach says, sounding like he’s had to tell more than a few players that very thing over the course of 25 years or so.

Nellie is raving about the depth at quality he now has at center, even going out of his way to mention D.J. Benga. And Dampier talked about how he’s heard “1000 times’’ about the Mavs’ lack of a quality big man. But the most interesting note from the world of Dallas centers came from Calvin Booth, who says his job will be to “mop up’’ after Dampier. If Silent Cal is to mop up after Dampier, that leaves Shawn Bradley to. … what? Mop up after Cal?

Terry is smaller than you think, 6-2 at best. Erick Dampier is slimmer than you think. Jerry Stackhouse is more excited to be here than you think. Alan Henderson seems younger than you think. And Calvin Booth still looks like a black Jim Nabors .

Don’t want to read to much into this, but man, Dampier is mellow. Or shy. Or something. We’re willing for now to dismiss accusations that he’s lazy, and we seriously doubt his mood has anything to do with disgruntlement. But while Jason Terry could’ve been persuaded to sing on stage, Erick seemed awfully uncomfortable in front of a crowd.
However. … in a one-on-one session with DB.com (it’s forthcoming), he was a bit more demonstrative. Not that any of this has anything to do with 12/12.

We respectfully disagree a bit with our man David Moore’s assessment of all these changes as some sort of admission that the previous blueprint failed . The previous blueprint got this team to the 50-plus win level, the 60-plus win level. That house was built. Now comes a revised blueprint that adds a pool and a 3-car garage, that’s all.

A number of fans in the season-ticket holders Q-and-A made an appreciative point about what good guys the Mavs seem to be, and how this organization has now built a tradition of that. Says Donnie Nelson : “We want to have players who my son and daughter and your son and daughter can look up to and be proud of.’’

Nellie on his team: "I do feel, on paper, it's the best team we've had. It doesn't mean it's going to be. You've still got to put it from paper into reality. … This is as excited as I've been in a long, long time as far as our team is concerned."
I found this quote very interesting: after mentioning that he intends to start Fin and bring Stack off the bench, he also said that Finley’s minutes will be “in the 20’s’’ while Dirk “will be the only guy I rely on for heavy minutes, 37-38.’’ ...plenty of minutes for stack and JHo then...I wonder how Finley will feel about his reduction of PT?

dmakk
09-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by: sike
here (http://dallasbasketball.com/headline_A.asp?pr=)

Promises, Promises
A Day With The 5 New Veteran Mavs

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
A bold Don Nelson is handing out positives and promises. … that and much more from a coming-out party with the Mavs:

On the subjects of his willingness to play a “true center,’’ to follow a more traditional line of thinking in his lineups, and the potential of this team, Nellie issued positives and promises.
“We’re bigger, we’re stronger, we’re quicker,’’ Nellie says. “We will score the ball the same as we always have, but we’ll also be much better defensively. … We’ll still run, but we’ll be a more traditional team with a true center. … I have a lot of confidence we can be a great team.’’

Is this Dirk’s team? Nellie insists that Michael Finley “has been our leader for a long, long time, and I would suggest to everyone that he will continue in that role.’’
Nellie says that almost defiantly, almost as if he’s defending Fin. But in the next breath, after mentioning that he intends to start Fin and bring Stack off the bench, he also said that Finley’s minutes will be “in the 20’s’’ while Dirk “will be the only guy I rely on for heavy minutes, 37-38.’’

It is clear that no matter who wears the title of leader, The UberMan will be the on-court focus. “Nowitzki will have his most productive year ,’’ Nellie says.

Marquis Daniels is a full-time starter. “He has ingredients we really like,’’ Nellie says. “He’s a fine defender. And he has some point forward skills.’’
Hey, Nellie: Traditional, remember? Seriously, we have no problem with a point forward – as long as the guy is actually a guard.

Michael Finley is also a starter. That puts Jerry Stackhouse on the bench, a role he’s clearly had rationalized for him.
“It will obviously be an adjustment, but I’ll try to use my minutes the best I can,’’ Stack says. “Some people might look at it as a demotion. I think it’s a great opportunity. I’ll be the focus of the second unit.’’
Noting that his predecessor as the Mavs’ sixth man, North Carolina buddy Antawn Jamison, used the same logic to get recognition as the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year, Stack says, “Let’s go for it! Two in a row sounds great.’’
DB.COM BOARDS
FISH ON RADIO: LISTEN!

As reported here a while back, the Mavs believe in Alan Henderson as a backup power forward. But Henderson seems to talk cautiously when discussing the back problems that have kept him from being the productive player he once was. This bears watching. …

Avery Johnson will get signed next week, and while he’ll have a players’ contract, he’ll truly be a coach first and a fixture on the injured list.
You do, however, get the distinct impression that AJ will have a terrifically positive influence on Dampier -- and that AJ being here might be one reason Damp ended up wanting to come.

Rookie Devin Harris , Nellie promises, “will be a very fine player. He’s not really to play 30 minutes. But as a backup he’ll be a very fine player. Steve Nash will be missed, but we replaced him with two good players (Terry and Harris).’’

Nellie offered up a nifty bit of Coachspeak when asked about different players’ roles: “Defense first, shoot the ball and other offensive things second, that’s your role,’’ the coach says, sounding like he’s had to tell more than a few players that very thing over the course of 25 years or so.

Nellie is raving about the depth at quality he now has at center, even going out of his way to mention D.J. Benga. And Dampier talked about how he’s heard “1000 times’’ about the Mavs’ lack of a quality big man. But the most interesting note from the world of Dallas centers came from Calvin Booth, who says his job will be to “mop up’’ after Dampier. If Silent Cal is to mop up after Dampier, that leaves Shawn Bradley to. … what? Mop up after Cal?

Terry is smaller than you think, 6-2 at best. Erick Dampier is slimmer than you think. Jerry Stackhouse is more excited to be here than you think. Alan Henderson seems younger than you think. And Calvin Booth still looks like a black Jim Nabors .

Don’t want to read to much into this, but man, Dampier is mellow. Or shy. Or something. We’re willing for now to dismiss accusations that he’s lazy, and we seriously doubt his mood has anything to do with disgruntlement. But while Jason Terry could’ve been persuaded to sing on stage, Erick seemed awfully uncomfortable in front of a crowd.
However. … in a one-on-one session with DB.com (it’s forthcoming), he was a bit more demonstrative. Not that any of this has anything to do with 12/12.

We respectfully disagree a bit with our man David Moore’s assessment of all these changes as some sort of admission that the previous blueprint failed . The previous blueprint got this team to the 50-plus win level, the 60-plus win level. That house was built. Now comes a revised blueprint that adds a pool and a 3-car garage, that’s all.

A number of fans in the season-ticket holders Q-and-A made an appreciative point about what good guys the Mavs seem to be, and how this organization has now built a tradition of that. Says Donnie Nelson : “We want to have players who my son and daughter and your son and daughter can look up to and be proud of.’’

Nellie on his team: "I do feel, on paper, it's the best team we've had. It doesn't mean it's going to be. You've still got to put it from paper into reality. … This is as excited as I've been in a long, long time as far as our team is concerned."
I found this quote very interesting: after mentioning that he intends to start Fin and bring Stack off the bench, he also said that Finley’s minutes will be “in the 20’s’’ while Dirk “will be the only guy I rely on for heavy minutes, 37-38.’’ ...plenty of minutes for stack and JHo then...I wonder how Finley will feel about his reduction of PT?

I think he and all Maverick fans should be happy. He shouldn't be playing almost 40 minutes a game. That's probably part of the reason he's missed around 40 games in the past 3 years. I think he'll end up in the early 30's in MPG.

sike
09-18-2004, 03:59 PM
no player likes to hear of minute cuts...especially a player who the coach just called the leader of the team.....I'm sure Fin will be a class act as always and be willing to lose some minutes if it means winning more games.

grndmstr_c
09-18-2004, 06:36 PM
When the playoffs roll around and Fin's healthy and able to show the rest of the teams in the West what the Spurs saw in the WCF two years ago any stress he experiences in the regular season over the reduced minutes will be washed away in a tidal wave of victory.

MavsFanFinley
09-19-2004, 01:00 AM
Finley hasn't complained in the past so I don't see him starting now.

As for what Nelson said...I'll believe it when I see it. But, it could be interesting to see how Fin produces in 10 minutes less per game. That is quite a drop, but it should keep him healthy late in the season as well.

I guess we're looking at something like this then:

Dampier (32) Booth (10) Bradley (6)
Dirk (38) Henderson (10)
Finley (28) Howard (20)
Daniels (24) Stackhouse (24)
Terry (32) Daniels (10) Harris (6)

MavsFanFinley
09-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Mavs target patience, stability

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The Mavericks need a reliable backup for Dirk Nowitzki at power forward. They need Nowitzki to regain a place among the game's elite. They need their new point guard tandem to adequately replace Steve Nash. They need Jerry Stackhouse to buy into being the sixth man. They need Erick Dampier to be a real center. They need to play as a team.

Yes, they need all those things. But perhaps all can be taken care of by giving the team the one thing it hasn't always had in the Cuban-Nelson era.

Time.

"This is such an upgrade business," Mavs president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said. "You can never say never, so if something presents itself and you have a chance to acquire an exceptional piece, you can't close yourself off to those possibilities.

"That being said, we feel we have firepower at every position. We just want to give this group a chance to grow together."

The roster was again reworked this off-season, leaving coach Don Nelson with just a handful of the players who walked off the Sacramento floor in April. Since the first-round playoff loss to the Kings, nine Mavs have moved on. Leading the exodus were Nash and forwards Antoine Walker, Antawn Jamison and Eduardo Najera.

Donnie Nelson admitted losing Nash was a "kick in the teeth" and left the team scrambling and near panic mode. The weeks that followed were focused on replacing Nash and solidifying the front line.

"As the summer unfolded, we found a way to address the Stevie situation and come away with Dampier," Nelson said.

After not matching Phoenix's offer to Nash, owner Mark Cuban opened up his checkbook for Dampier. Landing the burly center fills a void dating to the James Donaldson days. As for filling the shoes of Nash, the Mavs could have done much worse than Jason Terry and promising rookie Devin Harris.

"I really feel good about everyone and how they fit," Cuban said. "Dirk and [Michael Finley] are very fired up. They were kept in the loop about everything that was happening every step of the way."

Finley has participated in pickup sessions with many of his new teammates. The games, according to witnesses, have been spirited and better attended by current players than in recent summers. Training camp opens Oct. 4.

For Don Nelson, the NBA's premier mad scientist, convention is suddenly preferred. Gone are the days of figuring out a way to win with Walker as your center. The word being thrown around is "traditional."

"We've become more traditional," Donnie Nelson said. "By trying to attack with so many guys playing the same position, we stretched Nellie creatively to new lengths. The experiment didn't work. This year, we don't have to come up with as many concoctions."

Don Nelson expects the Mavs to be better defensively at every position. He promises the team will continue to run in the open court, but its half-court sets will no longer solely consist of the screen-and-rolls Nash and Nowitzki worked so well. With Dampier down low and Nowitzki operating almost exclusively at power forward, the offense will be as much inside-out and outside-in.

"If we can guard better and score as much," Nelson said, "we're going to be much better."

Nelson has formulated a working rotation. Stackhouse, a former All-Star and career 20-points-per-game scorer, is being asked to assume the role in which Jamison shined. As one club official said, if Stackhouse takes to the part, the NBA "might as well give him the Sixth Man award now."

"I'm the sixth man," said Stackhouse, well aware of the talk questioning his commitment in the past. "We have a lot of scorers on this team. It's an opportunity for me to come in and thrive and to keep me going. I talked with the coaching staff, and that is the role that they think will fit me best. It will be a challenge for me, but I look forward to that challenge."

The focus of the offense will return to Nowitzki, who won't play out of position at small forward, Nelson said. Nelson envisions the remainder of the starting lineup of Nowitzki and Dampier, Terry at point guard, Finley at small forward and Marquis Daniels at shooting guard.

The bench appears solid, especially if Alan Henderson is healthy enough to take some of the few minutes left by Nowitzki. Calvin Booth and Shawn Bradley will back up Dampier, and Harris will learn under the wing of Terry. Josh Howard and Stackhouse play both swing positions and will be used liberally when Nelson decides to go small.

"We have a lot key pieces to this puzzle, players that can play different positions," Dampier said. "It's just a matter of our team chemistry coming together."

Cuban joked after Friday's news conference introducing five of the new Mavs that the team is done making major moves. That's it, he said, for the next couple years. Considering all that's happened under his watch, it's a bold prediction.

So is the statement made by Cuban and Nelson that this Mavs team could be the best they've had. In a suddenly wide-open Western Conference, that could be saying something.

"Our preference, obviously, is to not make any changes and keep these guys together and give them a chance to jell," Donnie Nelson said. "We don't need for Nellie to squeeze blood out of a turnip and take advantage of every mismatch. There is less pressure on Nellie now.

"But if something presents itself ... "

Mavs projected lineup

IN THE KNOW

PG: Jason Terry, Devin Harris
SG: Marquis Daniels, Jerry Stackhouse
SF: Michael Finley, Josh Howard
PF: Dirk Nowitzki, Alan Henderson
C: Erick Dampier, Calvin Booth, Shawn Bradley

Others: Evan Eschmeyer, DJ Mbenga, Pavel Podkolzin, Tariq Abdul-Wahad and Dan Dickau

* Avery Johnson expected to be added this week in player-coach capacity

EricaLubarsky
09-19-2004, 03:06 PM
15 days and counting.

sike
09-20-2004, 12:06 PM
14 days of sad and wasted Bandwidth....*sigh*

Smiles
09-20-2004, 06:12 PM
I was surprised that more people didn't show up for this, but it wasn't heavily marketed either. It was much more of an intimate crowd this way too, so that's nice.

I don't think the players necessarily knew they were going to have the shaking hands thing at the end. It looked like Dampier was going to take off after the last question, then he was stopped for the group photo. That was a long afternoon for them. It's nice that several of them remained so upbeat and personable after nearly 3 hrs of being "on deck". i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

MavsFanFinley
09-20-2004, 06:41 PM
I'll just stick this here instead of starting a new thread. It's a bit from Marc Stein...

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1885381)

That Memphis reluctantly dropped out of the chase to land Dampier in a sign-and-trade because the Grizzlies were unwilling to take on the contract of Evan Eschmeyer. Cuban did accept Chris Mullin's mandatory inclusion of Eschmeyer -- the only way Golden State was going to participate in a Damp sign-and-trade swap -- and the Mavs are now trying to buy out the remaining three years and $10.8 million of Eschmeyer's deal.

dirno2000
09-20-2004, 07:03 PM
From the same article:

To retain his job in Dallas, Don Nelson promised Mark Cuban in a postseason sitdown that he'll place more emphasis on defense than he has since his Milwaukee days. Cuban responded by giving Nelson a lot more to work with defensively than the Mavs had previously, acquiring Erick Dampier and Calvin Booth to protect the basket and relegating the undependable Shawn Bradley to third string.

Of course, even if the Mavericks do tighten up, Nelson also must find a way to incorporate Dampier into his up-tempo offense, amid considerable skepticism that he can make use of a true center. Yet it seems Nelson has a promise for the skeptics, too.

"Once we get to the half-court, we're going inside more," Nelson vows.

So make that two big promises to monitor in Big D.

EricaLubarsky
09-20-2004, 07:05 PM
I don't have a chip on my shoulder for Nelson. If he is good on those promises then he can stay the season and maybe next. I just personally think that AJ will do a better job.