PDA

View Full Version : Dampier was on with Coop

Blonde Bomber
09-12-2004, 08:45 AM
on Friday afternoon.

He sounded really excited about proving all his critics wrong. When coop told him that fans around the MetroPlex would be downright excited if he duplicated last years numbers he replied that he plans on coming in and improving his numbers on last year. Damp said that he has not talked to Nelson as of yet but plans on talking to him sometime nextweek about what his roll will be with the team and what's expected of him. Damp sounded really excited about playing with playoff veterens in Fin and Dirk, but I think what sold him here was Avery Johnson. He said that Avery told him at the beggining of the summer that he was going to Dallas and that he would do whatever he could to make sure he ended up in a Mavs uniform. Coop asked him if the Avery is next in line to be the next Maverick head coach and Damp replied that he couldn't talk about that right now. If that doesn't tell you that Avery has his hands in things at the AAC then I don't know what would. It sounds like Damp truely respects Johnson and seems to really want to play for the guy, which is a great sign if Avery does move into the position in the next few years. He said he working out at the AAC right now with Jason Terry and Devin Harris. He said he has been working on his conditioning and doing weight training over the summer and is eager for camp to begin. He said don't expect us to come out like a well oil machine at the beggining but through hard work and time to gel that he expected the Mavs to be a great team that will challenge for a championship..

..thats pretty much it.

MavKikiNYC
09-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Damp said that he has not talked to Nelson as of yet

WHAT?!

The Crippler
09-12-2004, 09:28 AM
you'd figure at least Nelson would give him a call or something....right??? "Don, what exactly is it that you say you do here?"

Don_Didi
09-12-2004, 12:34 PM
"Y'know, I make big men shoot threes. How about it?"

Simon2
09-12-2004, 12:42 PM
I know its very discouraging. It just bolsters my theory that when the Mavs are in the off-season, Nellie doesn't care too much. He should have at least given him a call or something. We need a coach that is enthusiastic about the team. You can bet Nellie hasn't even spent more than 10 minutes thinking about the Mavs this off-season.

Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC

Damp said that he has not talked to Nelson as of yet

WHAT?!

DevinHarriswillstart
09-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by: The Crippler
you'd figure at least Nelson would give him a call or something....right??? "Don, what exactly is it that you say you do here?"

(chuckles nervously) "I'm a people person, I work with the customers, what the hell is wrong with you people!"

bernardos70
09-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Bob: "Then we have this Tom Smykowski.... he's useless, gone!"

How fitting.

Once again, the guy knows what we want to hear... and hopefully he makes good on his promise to try and one-up his performance last season.

sike
09-12-2004, 11:00 PM
damp is saying all the right things....that is nice.

EricaLubarsky
09-13-2004, 01:01 AM
Damp said that he has not talked to Nelson as of yet but plans on talking to him sometime nextweek about what his roll will be with the team and what's expected of him

You know what? He's been in thoroughgoing communication with Avery Johnson who, of all people should be enjoying his summer in Maui. This is a powerful statement to me of who should be boss. One person has the work ethic, the charisma and the leadership. One person does not.

bernardos70
09-13-2004, 01:21 AM
I don't agree, when you're on vacations you're on vacations. Do you call up people at your job from Cancun where you are vacationing to talk to a new guy in the office? Don't get me wrong, I hate nellie as much as the next guy, but vacations is vacations. And Nellie is on vacations.

EricaLubarsky
09-13-2004, 01:24 AM
Nellie ain't on vacation. He dominates the team in every facet. That means he's akin to a GM, and GM's main season is the offseason.

bernardos70
09-13-2004, 01:27 AM
He's the GM officially? I thought his son was.

EricaLubarsky
09-13-2004, 01:28 AM
akin to...

and I'm personally glad he isnt around making the personel decisions, but he plays a prominent role on this team. I was in Hawaii once and I don't remember much but they do have phones there. It doesn't mean much that he's in Hawaii, it means more than he failed to even call Dampier. That, mixed with the fact that Avery has taken his family on vacation as well as keeping up his relationships with important members of this team means a lot.

dalmations202
09-13-2004, 07:09 AM
I know that Nellie is the GM by title, but let him be GM by title only, and let him coach (what he is good at). I am sure he is burned out from last season, anyone else would be as well. Let him stay in Hawaii and rest. Donnie and Mark seem to be handling the GM job very well, and Avery seems to be taking on his role real well also.

Let Nellie rest, and make up new plays for the offense and defense (he seems to be pretty good at that), and let Donnie scout and sign the talent (he seems to be pretty good at that). Let Mark spend money (he seems to be pretty good at that).

All will work out in the end. I just don't want Nellie to start the year burned out. I saw what he coached/looked like at the end of last year.

FreshJive
09-13-2004, 07:31 AM
If Dampier doesn't already know what his role is going to be, then he's probably too stupid to fill it. Let Nellie rest. The guy is old, and he and his wife both recently battled cancer.

DubOverdose
09-13-2004, 07:59 AM
For all we know, Nellie might have been released already and Cuban has kept it under wraps.

Simon2
09-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Doesn't matter if you are on vacation or not. If something big happened to your company and you heard it in the news, you'll be calling or getting the inside scoop. No matter where you are and even if you are on vc. That's if you care. The more so, if you are the head coach of the Dallas Mavericks! The Mavs finally get the center they've been seeking for a long time and Nellie doesn't even spend 2 minutes welcoming him to the org. That really fosters a great relationship between player and coach.

We, as fans, read posts and forums at work and in our leisure time. We are itiching to know everything and any news on the Mavs. Have the Mavs gotten Dampier? Have the Mavs replaced Nash? Every fans wants to know. Why isn't the HC interested? He should be more interested and even more enthusiastic than us, the casual fan. I guess that what makes Cubes so great for the Mavs. He's an owner but he's fan first.

Originally posted by: bernardos70
I don't agree, when you're on vacations you're on vacations. Do you call up people at your job from Cancun where you are vacationing to talk to a new guy in the office? Don't get me wrong, I hate nellie as much as the next guy, but vacations is vacations. And Nellie is on vacations.