PDA

View Full Version : Germany vs Belgium

Pongo
09-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Germany leads by ~10 at halftime.
Dirk is doing fine on the defensive end and rebounds well, but struggles with his shot.
His best scene: The belgium assistant coach wanted an autograph during a timeout(!) and Dirk gave it to him.
Hilarious =)

Pongo
09-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Germany plays some attractiv b-ball...
dirk just played some air guitar i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif
but he's only 2-7 from the field
but his D looks better than ever

Waschdel
09-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Boxscore (http://www.fibaeurope.com/Default.asp?gameID=3780-C-6-3&cid={A440F8BD-44CB-4159-9FC6-547E93455FE2}&compID={D166E39E-2323-4863-B229-76357A926FA2}&season=2005&roundID=3780&teamID=&)

Scoobay
09-15-2004, 07:09 PM
who is P Mutombo for Belgium and any relation to big Mutombo?

EricaLubarsky
09-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by: Scoobay

His name is Patrick Mutombo and he's a 6'5" guard from Metro State. He's Dikembe's nephew once removed.

Fidel
09-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by: Scoobay
LOL freaked me out whenever the commentator said something like "Mutombo draws the foul". I allways had the picture of the "real" Mutombo in mind only to see some small belgian guard on TV.

Wiley_e
09-16-2004, 03:17 AM
Dirk didn't look as sharp as in the previous games (shooting off, 4 TO's) but seemed to be comfortable otherwise - probably because of the much better teamplay of the german squad (compared to the past two games). The challenge wasn't anywhere near european top level though. I wouldn't read too much into his stats.
The game vs Ukraine on saturday will be more of a test. A win will qualify germany for the European championships next year.

Don_Didi
09-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Gosh, I never thought I'd say this, but we Belgians need to go back to the 2nd European "division," you can't excuse shooting so badly, even if it's Germany. And 18% from 3-point range? That's a disgrace. A well-deserved win for the Germans, and unless we start playing some basketball, I shall not complain if we finish with a 0-6 record... although I would like to beat Ukraine or Hungary... but that's wishful tinking, I guess.

dmavsfan
09-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by: Wiley_e
Dirk didn't look as sharp as in the previous games (shooting off, 4 TO's) but seemed to be comfortable otherwise - probably because of the much better teamplay of the german squad (compared to the past two games). The challenge wasn't anywhere near european top level though. I wouldn't read too much into his stats.
The game vs Ukraine on saturday will be more of a test. A win will qualify germany for the European championships next year.

I think that the plan is to get the rest of the German offense more involved. It is hard to do most of the scoring, most nites. Especially playing 2 seasons....nba and then right into national games. The German team is very good and needs to get more involved without Dirk.

Wiley_e
09-17-2004, 03:04 AM
Don, did you hear anything about Didier Mbenga? The german commentator said s.th. like Cuban told him he could forget playing for the belgian national team next year if he was interested in playing for the mavs (maybe a clause included in his contract?).
It would have been very interesting to see him in the game - i was disappointed he wasn't there. Of course it's the same old story about injury risk, insurance and stuff - and Mbenga of course doesn't have the standing with Cuban that Dirk has - so he can simply deny him playing for his country. Would have been a nice opportunity to see him over here.
By the way - i also recall times of better belgian shooting... they used to dominate germany from the perimeter quite similar to Lithuania (not quite but still...) a few years ago. I guess i like it better this way ;-)

Don_Didi
09-17-2004, 11:42 AM
M'benga was simply not called up to play with the national team. No specific reason was given, but I think it has something to do with M'benga's inexperience. Cuban, of course, might be in there too, but European squads have a tendency to stick with what works, and frankly no one really knows if M'benga would work. That's my take on the whole situation. This also means Belgium will play pretty much anyone at center, and tlmost all of them will chuck threes. *sighs*