PDA

View Full Version : Clyde the Glide considering return?!

poohrichardson
09-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Clyde Drexler, just recently named to the Hall of Fame, is now considering a return to the NBA.

Drexler, 42, said Thursday he is seriously considering returning to the NBA and lists the Nuggets as a possibility.

"If someone with a chance to win a championship would call, I'd consider it," said the 6-foot-6, 222-pound Drexler, a 10-time all-star who retired in 1998. "I know I could do it."

Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe, a former teammate of Drexler's, is intrigued by the idea. He also has a roster spot available for a backup shooting guard and money available under the salary cap.
-------

Credit the St. Petersburg Times.

I'm not sure how high I'd be on a current Hall of Famer playing in the league.. 10 years past his prime, no less.. if he returns, I really wish him well, but I'm hoping he stays retired as not to tarnish his legacy.

dalmations202
09-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Clyde was a very good player in his day......and absolutely awesome with Houston in college.

He is old and needs to hang them up though.

poohrichardson
09-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Clyde was a very good player in his day......and absolutely awesome with Houston in college.

Or keep them hung up, shall we say..

Fah Q
09-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by: dalmations202

Clyde was more than very good during his NBA career, he is one of the all time greats. But I still agree I don't want to see him tarnish his legacy.

EricaLubarsky
09-17-2004, 03:10 PM
1) We have Ro Blackman developing the swingmen and he is doing a superb job.
2) I was able to meet Dexler on an airplane flying Alaska Airlines to Portland, Oregon one time and he has a phenomenal laugh.
3) Don't return, big guy. At 6'6", you'd have to change your game so much to contribute that you'd probably lose the "glide" off of your name.

AnMan21
09-17-2004, 04:21 PM
i cringe everytime these superstars try to come back. this one is by far the most absurd though - 1) he's been retired for six years, 2) he has an nba championship with nothing left to prove, and 3) why denver? i know they're up-and-comers, but they aren't winning the title this year - they have too much growing to do. the only thing i can think is the Kiki has talked his good friend into coming on to help guide young, recent trouble maker, carmelo. in recent history though, a 36+ year old, with former superstar status, has not made a succesful comeback. stay retired clyde, let us fans remember the "glide"

TripleDipping
09-17-2004, 05:37 PM
What the hell? At 42 and he can "still do it"??

Do what?

EricaLubarsky
09-17-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by: TripleDipping
What the hell? At 42 and he can "still do it"??

Do what?

get it up...I mean...play basketball.

cheesestar
09-17-2004, 06:44 PM
i dont think he should come back...ive always like the nickname.. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Quetzalcoatl
09-18-2004, 09:03 AM
If I were in Drexler body I would come back. I love basketball so much than I wouldn't mind my glorious past and I'd love keep playing.

Of course, I would need to be apreciated by the team I play for. If not, then it's a silly thing and a waste of time.

Even Jordan and Magic returned (and also there was a rumour of Blackman years ago).

I would come back.

Drbio
09-21-2004, 08:20 PM
This has to be a joke.

sike
09-21-2004, 11:07 PM
please dont do this "the glide".....just stay on the path of respectability

poohrichardson
09-24-2004, 03:59 AM
I dunno if anybody read the realgm article, but evidently it was all blown out of proportion based on some off-the-cuff remark he made about being able to last a full season if he played 10 minutes a half at SG.

I'm a little big bummed.. I'm a big fan of older players relying on craftiness and mental prowess giving the younger, more athletic players a run for their money. It's fun to watch.

alby
09-24-2004, 04:39 AM
if only clyde and mj came back for the heat
and if karl signs with the heat

it would be wade, clyde, jordan, malone, shaq

what a fun team that would be to watch lol...