PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Mashburn To Sit Out Season

HexNBA
09-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Jamal Mashburn Out for Entire NBA Season

By BRETT MARTEL, AP Sports Writer

NEW ORLEANS - Former All-Star forward Jamal Mashburn will miss the entire 2004-05 NBA season because of a knee injury that could end his career.

Mashburn and the New Orleans Hornets announced the news Monday, a week before the start of training camp.

The injury kept Mashburn, a 10-year veteran, out of all but 19 games last season after he underwent surgery to remove loose particles from his right knee. Mashburn said strenuous activity causes the knee to swell as badly as it did last March when his season ended. He averaged 20.8 points.

During a news conference, Mashburn acknowledged the injury could end his career, which began in 1993 as a first-round draft choice of the Dallas Mavericks. He also had a stint with the Miami Heat before joining the Hornets in 2000 and making the All-Star team during the 2002-03 season.

Mashburn said retirement is a possibility, but he was holding out hope that he might be able to play.

"I have to remain optimistic," he said. "Hopefully, I can get better with rest. This is my livelihood. I have to stay positive."

The Hornets' insurance will cover about 80 percent of Mashburn's salary of about $18 million over the last two years of his contract if he is not healthy enough to play. Trading Mashburn remains a possibility because the insurance will follow him to another team.

Team trainers said several MRI exams performed over the summer indicated Mashburn had worn out cartilage in his right knee, causing bones to grind together and leaving a bruise and an irritation.

"I'm hoping with a rest and a lack of pounding, things will heal themselves and maybe there's a possibility in a year or so," Mashburn said. "I just have to take a wait-and-see approach. There's not a particular thing I can do. I've been trying everything. It's a frustrating situation."

With Mashburn out, Rodney Rogers and George Lynch will compete for the starting spot at small forward, Hornets coach Byron Scott said.

Phil Helmuth
09-27-2004, 06:37 PM
I'll wager he's done for. Sad sad end to one of the greatest college players I've ever seen. I made so much money betting on Kentucky when he was there. Thanks Jamal! Love, Phil Helmuth.

Murphy3
09-27-2004, 07:06 PM
The guy has been grossly overrated since his arrival in the NBA.

fin4life
09-27-2004, 08:30 PM
overrated or not, i loved him when he was a mav and I still enjoy watching him. Too bad for Mash

Murphy3
09-27-2004, 08:52 PM
I never was a big fan of one of the most noted low percentage, high volume scorers...

FilthyFinMavs
09-27-2004, 10:05 PM
That sucks. I hate these stories. It seems like some of my favorite players in the mid to late 90's had these same exact problems. From Grant Hill to Penny Hardaway. It's unfortunate especially for the Hornets. It's a shame because with Mash the Hornets are a pretty solid team. I never forgave the Mavs for trading Mash for Sasha Danilovic and Kurt Thomas. Well, I guess I can since they pulled the Dirk for Tractor Traylor. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Drbio
09-27-2004, 11:22 PM
Ex-Mav Mashburn's career could be over

01:05 PM CDT on Monday, September 27, 2004

Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS -- Former All-Star forward Jamal Mashburn will miss the entire 2004-05 NBA season because of a knee injury that could end his career.

Mashburn and the New Orleans Hornets made the announcement Monday, a week before the start of training camp. Mashburn played in only 19 games last season, averaging 20.8 points, after undergoing surgery to remove loose particles from his right knee.

A first-round draft pick of the Mavericks in 1993, Mashburn also played for the Miami Heat before joining the Hornets in 2000. He made the All-Star team in 2002-03 when he averaged 21.6 points.