PDA

View Full Version : In his new book, Yao translates K-Mart's Chinese tattoo's as saying.....

NYCdog
09-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Yao has been doing th whole "NY media tour" here lately to boost sales of his new memoir, "A Life In Two Worlds" He will be doing a book signing tomorrow, 1:00 PM at Barnes & Noble at Rockefeller Center and the NBA Store on Wednesday. Yesterday he was on Fox News. This morning, he was on Today. Wednesday, he will be on "Regis and Kelly." And sometime later on in the week, he is suposed to make an appearance on Letterman.

During this week, its become quite obvious that Yao is "Americanizing" as his English has gotten dramatically better.

And with that, has Yao also learned the American art of trash talking? View this quote from his book and decide for yourself.

. . . In his new book, Rockets center Yao Ming translates the Chinese script tattoos of Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin. "His letters mean, 'Not aggressive' or 'indecisive.' " Yao writes. "Anyone who has seen Kenyon play knows he isn't like that."

link....scroll to bottom (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=knight-bowensnextstopremainsanun&prov=knight&type=lgns)

According to Nugs fans, Kenyon jabbed back on local radio saying his tattoo's mean "never satisfied." He also questioned Yao's ability to comprehend to Chinese language and said Yao will get a better look at those tattoo's on his arm this season, as he runs him over on the way to a dunk.

Ohh, all this talk. The season starts in a month......I cant wait.

Big Boy Laroux
09-28-2004, 12:49 PM
wait, how is that trash-talking? sounds to me like yao is giving him a compliment, saying that he is NOT indecisive and that he is aggressive.

EricaLubarsky
09-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
wait, how is that trash-talking? sounds to me like yao is giving him a compliment, say that he is NOT indecisive and that he is aggressive.

I read that too.

MavKikiNYC
09-28-2004, 02:02 PM
I think I'm going to go with Yao's interpretation of Chinese script over Kenyon Martin's. ... At least for now.

Murphy3
09-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Has life really sunk this far? I actually read part of the article.

TripleDipping
09-28-2004, 03:41 PM
double post

TripleDipping
09-28-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm sure K-Mart's chinese is better than Yao's.

Like "Ask a black dude" in Chappelle Show, we should have something like "ask a chinese dude" where he can give people the correct english-chinese translation to avoid people tattooing foreign language that means something silly on themselves.

giantbenmav
09-28-2004, 06:22 PM
who knows how many of these chinese script tattoos are bogus anyway.........they pick them out by what a sign in a tattoo parlor says........sorrry I am going to take Yao's word over some tatto artist

twelli
09-29-2004, 06:45 AM
does anyone have a picture of the tattoo? I can tell you what it says.

anyway, Yao wouldn't be so stupid and say something like that if having any doubts

billions of Chinese would laugh at him...

Big Boy Laroux
10-01-2004, 03:46 PM
I have heard the same thing about those tatoos. so many people that get them base it off of what they see in the parlor... and it ends up meaning something completely different.

i have seen some parlors that have actual chines language books that they use, so that's less of a risk, i guess.

EricaLubarsky
10-01-2004, 03:52 PM
My friend, Bi and I were shopping once and I wanted to buy one of those carved rocks with the chinese carved in it. The store said it meant "serenity" but Bi, (who is Chinese himself) translated it as"warlike". The letter itself was really pretty, but it meant close to the opposite of what the store said. I think it happens a lot.

http://www.mandarintools.com/namegif/6B66.gif

TripleDipping
10-01-2004, 04:53 PM
double post

TripleDipping
10-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
My friend, Bi and I were shopping once and I wanted to buy one of those carved rocks with the chinese carved in it. The store said it meant "serenity" but Bi, (who is Chinese himself) translated it as"warlike". The letter itself was really pretty, but it meant close to the opposite of what the store said. I think it happens a lot.

http://www.mandarintools.com/namegif/6B66.gif

Exactly. That character above is "Wu" as in Wu-Shu (marshall art in chinese language). Whomever did the translation on that rock ought to be shot... or Wu-ed.