PDA

View Full Version : something of entertainment: The Atlantic Division.

EricaLubarsky
09-28-2004, 12:57 PM
NBA.com has a poll up now that asks, "Which team is the early favorite in the revamped Atlantic Division?"

Boston
New Jersey
New York
Philly
Toronto

Pretty hard to decide because they are all pretty bad. I would have said New Jersey before Kidd went down and K-Mart fled, but it seems that NJ is now devoted to losing and in the absence no other team has really improved. I'll give NY credit for attempting a move, and Boston for a couple of large-payoff gambles in the lottery that might turn out.

dalmations202
09-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Good question, EL.

Give me Toronto, if VC stays. I think they have the most talent with the new Araujo, VC, Rose, Bosh, Marshall and Alston.

Not sure if they will ever "gel", but they at least have a little talent there at all the positions.

seal614
09-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Damnit lost my entire post: Trying again...

Revamped? I guess in the negative sense of the word. The entire Atlantic Division is such a state that any team could take it. The teams are also for the most part centered around one overloaded star --> 1 injury and you go from .500 to Orlando Magic style.

1.) Philly - If AI can stay healthy and play like he did early last year things will be different off the bat. Other factors: Andre Igoudala and Dalembert's progress (really hoping to see something here)

2.) New York - I'm not quite sure if I understand their roster, but the talent is there and they made the playoffs last year. Where does Jamal Crawford fit?

3.) Toronto - Assuming Carter stays and manages to play hard and injury free the Raptors could do as well as #1. Probably the most talented team in the division, but have some chemistry issues. Big factors are VC (injury, trade status everything), Araujo contributing early and Bosh's improvement.

4.) Boston - Paul Pierce doesn't require much help to do big things (see Antoine Walker), but he currently has zero help. However, Boston starts here and has the ability to move up depending on what else Ainge pulls. I'll take a Pierce-led Celtics over a RJ-led Nets anyday.

5.) New Jersey - 2 words; Jason Kidd. If he's around the playoffs are still a possibility... if not they have nothing and could become one of the worst teams in the league.

- Brian

fin4life
09-28-2004, 08:34 PM
New York is going to win it. It is pretty weak compitition, but New York is simply more talented that any other team in the Atlantic. They actually have a pretty good roster on paper. The only problem is all of teir good players play 4 positions (they dont have a good center). Marbury, Houston, Tim Thomas, Jamal Crawford, Kurt Thomas, and Sweetney should be enough to win that terrible division.

seal614
09-28-2004, 09:02 PM
The Marbury/Crawford combo reminds me a lot of Iverson/Stackhouse.

Yuck.

I see why you'd pick NY though, I just don't think their team is going to work. It doesn't even work on paper; we'll see about in reality.

- brian

fin4life
09-28-2004, 09:12 PM
I see the flaws in New York. They dont have a true PG, A good center, overloaded with bad percentage shooters, ect...

I would have picked Philly because i think that Korver/Willie Green/Damelbert/Kenny Thomas will all have good years.... but there is one reason that I can't pick them. THE ABSENSE OF ERIC SNOW. I think that they will discover that he was the guy that made that team go... and Iverson will not be able to run the point.

Because of that, I picked NY based on talent alone. But they will definetly lose in the 1st round of the playoffs to a team like Milwaukee... whoever is #6

sike
09-28-2004, 09:54 PM
is there any way for all of them to finish last?...if there is, I choose that option.

EricaLubarsky
09-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by: sike
is there any way for all of them to finish last?...if there is, I choose that option.

Philly is sorta like the Mavs after we got Harris and lost Nash but before we got Terry and Dampier.

They have some excellent young guys with potential to flourish this year, but they are going to have serious problems moving the ball with Snow gone. I agree with Fin4 that they will realize that it was the Snow/AI combo that got them to the finals and not just AI.

Rod1975
10-01-2004, 12:01 AM
The Atlantic division has the luxury of being centered around the biased northeast media, so the fact that it is the second worst division in the NBA will most likely not be mentioned very much.

EricaLubarsky
10-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by: Rod1975
The Atlantic division has the luxury of being centered around the biased northeast media, so the fact that it is the second worst division in the NBA will most likely not be mentioned very much.

I'll mention it every day when not one team is over .500 at the allstar break.

alby
10-01-2004, 12:10 AM
what a terrible conference. pretty sad actually. and new nba franchises are still being created. baffles me.

Nash13
10-01-2004, 11:54 AM
When healthy i think Boston has a better team than New York. Their frontcourt is better imo. Their just about equal in everything else.