PDA

View Full Version : Rank the East

Nash13
09-29-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm not saying my list is the playoff seeds b/c i don't know the divisions by heart yet, but this is what i came up with.

1. Miami Heat- They have a motivated big man. If Wade plays like he did in the playoffs, they'll be in the Finals. Plus they got prospects in Malik Allen, Rasual Butler, and Udonis Haslem.

2. Detroit Pistons- Last year's champs, and still strong. A healthy McDyess and Coleman should help them out.

3. Orlando Magic- They are stacked. They have probably the most depth in the east.

4. Indiana Pacers- Not saying they are this bad, it's just that the other teams are that good

5. Boston Celtics- If Payton plays, and Lafrentz is healthy, they look good. They still got Blount, Davis, Welsch, Banks, and of course Pierce. Plus if West and Jefferson can turn into good players, they may be a sleeper.

6. New York Knicks- Even though they have some of the most overpaid players in sports, they are still pretty good.

7. Washington Wizards- This team is better than most people think. They have Arenas, Hughes, Jamison, Brown, Haywood. That's not a bad starting lineup. Now we will know if the Golden State Warriors could be playoff contenders in the east.

8. Milwaulkee Bucks- It was a toss up between them, Philly, and Chicago.

Also, the Hawks are a point guard away from a team.

What do you think?

poohrichardson
09-29-2004, 03:50 PM
1.) Pacers - Jermaine O'Neal is poised to have an MVP caliber season. With Stephen Jackson packing some needed offensive punch, along with the best defender in the league.
2.) Pistons - Their only weakness is that I still don't think they have a "go-to" guy yet. There's nothing wrong with that, as last year showed.. having a team full of roleplayers is sometimes the best way to go.
3.) Heat - There could be problems clicking, especially with all of the offseason signings and moves. Shaq alone will get them to the playoffs as a high seed, but whether there's enough firepower in addition to him remains to be seen.
4.) Wizards - I think Jamison will have his best season yet as a pro and could even make first team all-NBA. The East is just so weak that these Wizards could be a contender this year.
5.) Magic - I'm really pulling for Grant Hill to have a great season this year. I think if he does, the Magic will go deep into the playoffs, but if his ankles crap out, so do the Magic. Hopefully Francis won't take shots away from Mobley and Hill.
6.) Knicks - There are a lot of individually talented players on the team... but no team players. Marbury is too selfish to run the point and this roster just doesn't make any sense. The word "clusterfuck" was invented to prepare the world for rosters such as this one.
7.) Sixers - Delambert was maybe the best big man in the league over the last 10 games and as long as he keeps improving, and Iverson can handle the point, they'll find a way to win 38 games and make the playoffs.
8.) Nets - I still think Jason Kidd can find a way to reach the postseason again. If there was any other player in his position, I wouldn't give them a chance.. but Kidd is the best point guard since Magic, and he'll find a way.

DCowboysGal
09-29-2004, 11:38 PM
I think WAS could be a darkhorse team. They're young and athletic and have a legit #1 scoring option in Jamison. Jared Jeffries and Jarvis Hayes look like comers at PF and SF, while Kwame Brown's game is gradually improving. Brendan Haywood is kind of a mystery at C because his athleticism dictates he should be putting up better rebounding and shot-blocking numbers than he has. He could either turn out to be another Jerome James, or with a little more effort on defense, he could be pretty good. Etan Thomas is a bruiser at PF/C and the fact that usually he puts up good rebounding and blocked-shot numbers despite being a little undersized is a testament to his hustle and desire. Larry Hughes is a versatile guard who can play either SG and PG because of his ball-handling skills. He and Arenas could both put up 17+pts/game from the backcourt. It's a team loaded with young players who are incomplete in terms of development, but who also have lots of potential.

EricaLubarsky
09-30-2004, 12:36 AM
I can see putting Miami ahead of Detroit although I wouldnt, but putting Indiana? They are ripe for another early exit when Artest divides the team instead of uniting.

Nash13
09-30-2004, 09:04 AM
I agree to some extent Erica. Although i like Stephen Jackson, i don't think he's going to play as well in Indiana as Harrington did. Plus i don't think he'll be comfortable both coming off the bench, and being the 3rd or 4th option. Plus, the Pacers don't have a center or point guard like the Heat have in Shaq/Wade, the Magic in Kato/Francis, and Detroit in Wallace/Billups

DCowboysGal
09-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Reggie Miller will most likely move to the bench because his perimeter shooting can't compensate for his terrible defense and IND doesn't want to have two mediocre defenders in the backcourt (with Tinsley at PG). S. Jackson is a much better defender (although his defense isn't tremendous or anything). Miller would provide instant offense off the bench, plus a calming veteran influence on the 2nd unit. Also, while J. O'Neal will be the main scoring option, S. Jackson could end up as the 2nd as part of an inside-outside duo with O'Neal. He's a more reliable scorer than Artest.

seal614
09-30-2004, 01:52 PM
lol washington, playoffs

Nash13
09-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Reggie Miller will most likely move to the bench because his perimeter shooting can't compensate for his terrible defense and IND doesn't want to have two mediocre defenders in the backcourt (with Tinsley at PG). S. Jackson is a much better defender (although his defense isn't tremendous or anything). Miller would provide instant offense off the bench, plus a calming veteran influence on the 2nd unit. Also, while J. O'Neal will be the main scoring option, S. Jackson could end up as the 2nd as part of an inside-outside duo with O'Neal. He's a more reliable scorer than Artest.

I thought i read a report saying that Miller will start this season.

Plus, to me, Artest and Jackson have the same offensive game. Both like to try and take it inside, but will shoot outside if they have to or are left open. And since Artest's been there longer, he'll be the second option.

alby
10-01-2004, 12:32 AM
How does gaining experience, winning an NBA championship, adding mcdyess, having rasheed for a full year, and a pissed off Larry Brown drop a a team behind another team who has just been put together and are a question mark in terms of chemistry?

DCowboysGal
10-01-2004, 03:56 AM
S. Jackson had a better FG% than Artest did last year while his 3-pt. shooting percentage was markedly better (34% to Artest's 31%) so IMO Jackson is a better overall shooter. Also, I read an Indianapolis newspaper article about two months ago presented on the Prosportsdaily.com website that IND would ask Reggie Miller to come off the bench this year. IND didn't give S. Jackson the big contract to come off the bench.

alby
10-01-2004, 05:32 AM
i dont know about ya'll but reggie needs to retire, his best years are behind him and he is only hurting the development/performance of the team IMO.

if he had only dunked that open layup rather than going up weak, tayshawn prince would have never gotten to it and detroit may have never won the title.. which means the lakers would have probably beaten the pacers for their fourth title in five years.. which means shaq and phil probably dont go..

prince's block on reggie ---> break up of the lakers

haha this is what happens when u are up reading forums and posting at 430 in the morning =p