PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back Dennis Rodman?

Drbio
10-02-2004, 10:47 PM
As some of you know, I used to write an online column for the Nuggets. I have a buddy who still writes for the Rocky Mountain News who told me earlier today that the Nuggets are negotiating a deal for the upcoming season with Dennis Rodman.

Apparently, Rodman has been in Denver the last few days talking to Kiki V. and working out for Bzdelik and the staff.

Interesting. Stay tuned.

poohrichardson
10-02-2004, 10:53 PM
I say, if his body is willing, give him a shot. Denver could really use toughness on the glass.

Drbio
10-02-2004, 10:54 PM
From what I heard he looked awesome. Ripped physique and ran very well.

Even more importantly, he was head strong and focused.

MavsFanFinley
10-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Here is an article from September 23rd about one of his tryouts:

Rodman might get another look-see

By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer

Former NBA rebounding champ Dennis Rodman hopes to give the Nuggets a second look next week.

Rodman, 43, joined a scrimmage at the Nuggets' Pepsi Center practice facility Tuesday but was limited to one game after succumbing to an ingrown toenail on each of his big toes, according to his agent, Darren Prince. Rodman had the nails trimmed at a local hospital, Prince said.

Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe told Rodman he was welcome to work out again once his injury healed. Prince said Rodman hopes to do so in Denver again next week.

"Kiki wants to give him a fair shot," Prince said. "I appreciated him doing that for Dennis."

Rodman is a two-time NBA defensive player of the year but hasn't played in the NBA since the 1999-2000 season. Prince said two other NBA teams, which he declined to name, have interest in possibly working out Rodman next week.

Rodman's drinking troubles and a motorcycle accident were reasons a potential workout with the Nuggets didn't happen before last season. Prince, however, said Rodman has turned his life around after giving up alcohol on Sept. 17, 2003.

"It was a bad time," Prince said. "It's the past now. But if he makes it back to the NBA, it would be a great story."

And here is a story from today about his absence from the roster for the start of camp:

Nuggets reveal camp roster, and Rodman is not on it

By Chris Tomasson
Rocky Mountain News

Dennis Rodman's chances of heading to training camp with the Denver Nuggets appear to be evaporating.

The Nuggets revealed their camp roster Friday, and Rodman was not among the 19 names. Asked about Rodman, Denver assistant general manager Jeff Weltman said, "I think this rounds out our roster (for Tuesday's first day of camp)."

NBA rules allow teams to have 20 players in camp, and Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe reiterated that later Friday. But Vandeweghe declined comment when asked if Rodman remains a candidate for a final spot.

Vandweghe spoke Friday with Rodman's agent, Darren Prince. Prince said Vandeweghe told him that "due to the potential of injury (at age 43), it may not be in Dennis' best interests to be in a training camp."

But Prince said it's "not a dead issue," and he should get the final word today.

Vandeweghe said it's possible forward Rodney White eventually could be a 20th player in camp. White, who played the past two seasons for the Nuggets, has been charged in Washington, D.C., with carrying a gun without a license, and Vandeweghe wants to wait until the situation is resolved before possibly re-signing him.

Vandeweghe declined comment after Rodman's Thursday workout in Denver. He did offer a comment Friday.

"I thought, from my perspective, it certainly looked as if he's cleaned up his act," Vandeweghe said of Rodman, who says he has been sober for a year.

"He was in good shape. His attitude was very good and he was very supportive to young players. I was generally very impressed with him."

If Rodman doesn't get an invitation to Denver's camp, he probably will play in games Friday and Oct. 10 with a team in Monterrey, Mexico.

Denver's camp roster remains tentative until all players have signed deals. The Nuggets have nine players under contract, and the other 10 should sign by Tuesday. Greg Buckner will sign a guaranteed contract. The remaining nine should get non-guaranteed deals, which would leave the Nuggets with only 10 players under guaranteed contracts and plenty of competition for roster spots.

Camp invitees with NBA experience are swingmen Bryon Russell and Mitchell Butler, forwards Mark Pope and Desmond Penigar and center Soumaila -Samake. Rookies are point guards Marcus Hatten and Billy Keys, swingman Melvin Sanders and forward Arthur Johnson.

The Nuggets still have $2.3 million of cap room, but Vandeweghe said it's unlikely a deal will be made before camp.

The best competition in camp might be in the backcourt. After point guards Andre Miller and Earl Boykins and shooting guard Voshon Lenard, there is instability. Lenard underwent arthroscopic surgery a month ago on his right knee, but he said he is fine and ready to participate.

White could help the Nuggets on the perimeter if his problems are resolved. Channing Phillips, spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office, said a grand jury could decide as soon as next week what formal charges he might face. Phillips said White, who has a curfew and can't travel more than 30 miles from Washington, continues to wear an electronic monitor.

Drbio
10-02-2004, 11:59 PM
Rodman has signed with the Mexican team if that means anything, but I am still hearing that he is in negotiations with Denver.

EricaLubarsky
10-03-2004, 12:54 AM
didn't he suck at the CBA level last year?

Poindexter Einstein
10-03-2004, 03:45 AM
I cant see the value of chasing Rodman, other than a publicity stunt.

He was given great latitude in Dallas, it was a similar "last try comeback" just like this one, and he wore out his welcome pretty quickly.

On the court here, he was decent but nothing special. Five years away from the game definitely wont make him better.

He has aged 5 more years. Regardless of his conditioning, his body is still 43.

He has never understood or acceded to the team concept, and is also self-absorbed and disruptive on EVERY team he has played on.

If I am an NBA GM, I wouldnt touch the guy with a 10' pole. He had nothing left in Dallas, and now he will have less than nothing to offer - and a whole pile of hassles along with that nothing. Yuck.

dirno2000
10-03-2004, 05:24 AM
In other Denver news, K-Mart may have punched Nene in the eye. link (http://nypost.com/sports/29615.htm)

An extra on the scene informs me Nene and Kenyon Martin, on opposite sides, had been battling for turf and respect for some time - neither is a center, thus the starting four spot is up for grabs. Meaning, they weren't about to keep their hands to themselves. The usual infuriating pushin' and shovin' ensued each time either one tried to establish inside position. Suddenly Martin reverted to brutal form of a few years ago. He spun around on Nene, recounted the eyewitness, and punched the 6-11, 260-pound Brazilian, hitting him square above one eye, opening up a gash that necessitated stitches. Teammates prevented further bloodshed. Temporarily. Nene is far too bad to the bone to let Martin get away with a sucker punch.

EricaLubarsky
10-03-2004, 01:58 PM
I'd love to see Denver sign Rodman. Denver would be the funnest drama to watch this season.

FilthyFinMavs
10-03-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
I'd love to see Denver sign Rodman. Denver would be the funnest drama to watch this season.

I'd love it to because they are one of the teams in the league who as a Mavs fan I fear. It would be great to see their downfall be their players attitudes.

EricaLubarsky
10-04-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs

I'd love it to because they are one of the teams in the league who as a Mavs fan I fear. It would be great to see their downfall be their players attitudes.

Denver is just another 2002-2003 Portland Trailblazers team- they are going to be a scary team with plenty of talent and plenty of problems that will try to pucj you around, but I don't really fear them. For all the s@#t that Portland talked, and for all the talent they had two seasons ago, we polished them off pretty easily.

alby
10-04-2004, 01:03 AM
nick van exel was definitely the crucial piece to why/how we beat portland that year in the playoffs.. who will stand up to being pushed around this year? DAMPIER =]

EricaLubarsky
10-04-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by: alby
nick van exel def was crucial to why/how we beat portland that year.. who will stand up to being pushed around this year? DAMPIER =]

I remember it was Raja Bell who really brought the attitude to Portland and Nick Van Exel's "f'em" attitude was highly overrated.

Some stats
----------------
Michael Finley actually exceeded his season average, averaging 21ppg, 8rpg, 3apg- stepping up his scoring and rebounding significantly

Dirk Nowitzki averaged 21.2pts, 10.5rpg 4.25apg, 3.3spg, 1bpg against them that season, which broke his season average for steals and rebounds

---------------

So, We are more than capable of being tough. Dirk and Finley already proved that they could. Nash actually had his game interrupted in the series, averaging 15.5ppg, 6apg, 2.5topg- fewer points and assists, and more TOs per game.

alby
10-04-2004, 01:35 AM
oh okay

sike
10-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Nene is far too bad to the bone to let Martin get away with a sucker punch.
that line is almost comical.....

sike
10-04-2004, 09:52 AM
from PE:Five years away from the game definitely wont make him better. He has aged 5 more years.
this bit of insight made me smile. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif ....see, there it is.

TripleDipping
10-04-2004, 11:55 AM
Nuggets will become the favorites to win the title with the addition of Rodman... just ask Steve Kerr.

poohrichardson
10-04-2004, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs

Denver is just another 2002-2003 Portland Trailblazers team- they are going to be a scary team with plenty of talent and plenty of problems that will try to pucj you around, but I don't really fear them. For all the s@#t that Portland talked, and for all the talent they had two seasons ago, we polished them off pretty easily.

Easily, did we? We won the first 3 and lost the next three.. and won a close game 7.. that was a very exciting, unpredictable series.. hardly an "easy" win.

vinnieponte
10-04-2004, 12:33 PM
rodman, k-mart, carmelo,nene, camby??? Sounds really strong to me, I still place them 1 seed behind us!