PDA

View Full Version : T-Wolves to Sign Eddie Griffin

mavs413
10-05-2004, 07:52 PM
KFAN.com -
Troubled forward Eddie Griffin took a physical Tuesday morning in Collegeville, and was expected to sign a contract within 24 hours.

The 6-foot-10, 240-pound former Seton Hall star spent time with New Jersey last season but did not play before the club waived him in February.

Griffin, 22, entered the Betty Ford Center for alcohol abuse in January and later entered another residential alcohol treatment program. He plead guilty in March to a misdemeanor charge of deadly conduct stemming from an incident in October 2003, and was sentenced to 18 months probation.

He also was convicted of marijuana possession in January.

Selected seventh overall by New Jersey in the 2001 NBA Draft, Griffin was traded to Houston for the draft rights to Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins and Brandon Armstrong.

In 150 career games, all with Houston, Griffin has averaged 8.7 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.6 blocks. He has 90 career starts.

The Crippler
10-05-2004, 08:35 PM
eddie griffin is pretty much a wacko. He might try to kill KG, which would be a positive for the mavs, i guess...

MavKikiNYC
10-05-2004, 08:42 PM
What a waste of time by Minnesota.

Griffin will have one tenth the impact that Kandi had.

sike
10-05-2004, 08:57 PM
*yawn*

Rod1975
10-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Actually, if EG could just grow up and get his head on straight, he could be an average player....

Nash13
10-05-2004, 09:54 PM
I absolutely hate it when people throw their life away on drugs and alcohol. Hopefully he can make the best of this second chance, even if it's the Wolves.

EricaLubarsky
10-05-2004, 10:01 PM
Griffin is a beast with some very sound fundamentals. He could be incredible. It's just unfortunate that players with such incredible frames and such smarts would have such poor work ethic. He could have been incredible, but he just hasnt put in the work to be in the NBA. Add to that that he's a total nutjob and he just isnt fit to add to any team.

Jamisonite
10-06-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Griffin is a beast with some very sound fundamentals. He could be incredible. It's just unfortunate that players with such incredible frames and such smarts would have such poor work ethic. He could have been incredible, but he just hasnt put in the work to be in the NBA. Add to that that he's a total nutjob and he just isnt fit to add to any team.

i agree. The kid has talent...point blank period. Hes only 22. Thats like drafting a senior from college. I think he could turn into K Mart with a jump shot. He is a beast on d

FilthyFinMavs
10-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Rockets have got to be kicking themselves. Didn't they trade Richard Jefferson for Eddie Griffin?

EricaLubarsky
10-07-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Rockets have got to be kicking themselves. Didn't they trade Richard Jefferson for Eddie Griffin?

lol, yeah.

then last season New Jersey signed him. Pretty good deal for NJ, because they got an all-star and rid themselves of a cancer and then signed the cancer for 1-year sophomore minimum.

MavKikiNYC
10-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs

Looks like a bad deal for the Rox, but things have worked out pretty well for them since.

I like Jefferson a lot, but I don't think he's at T-Mac's level. Will be interesting to see what happens to his output with a diminished/absent Kidd.

madape
10-08-2004, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't call Griffin's upside "incredible". I don't think he'll ever be a "beast". Shaqille O'Neil the guy is not. But he does block some shots and grab some boards. A lot of teams could use a guy like that, including Minnesota. He could easily start at center for that team. Considering the success they've had while throwing out worthless crap at center since Rasho left, Griffin could make a real impact. If he can get his life together, this could be a nice signing for the Wolves. I think the guy deserves a second chance. Too bad he's getting it with one of our rivals.

EricaLubarsky
10-21-2004, 04:12 PM
Timberwolves F Griffin suspended three games (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=griffinsuspended&prov=st&type=lgns)

October 20, 2004
Updated on Wednesday, Oct 20, 2004 7:53 pm EDT

NEW YORK (Ticker) - Even if Eddie Griffin makes the Minnesota Timberwolves, it will be a while before he plays.
The troubled Griffin was suspended without pay for the first three games of the upcoming season by the NBA on Wednesday.
The suspension was in response to Griffin's guilty plea to a misdemeanor assault charge in an incident in Texas last year, when Griffin was on the Houston Rockets. As a rule, NBA players found guilty or pleading guilty to criminal charges are suspended by the league.
"We understand today's decision by the NBA," Timberwolves vice president Kevin McHale said in a statement. "It addresses an event from Eddie's past, and we know that Eddie regrets the incident and is deeply sorry that it occurred."

Griffin, 22, is trying to make the Timberwolves and resurrect his once-promising career. The Rockets and New Jersey Nets already have given up on him.
The seventh overall pick in the 2001 draft, the 6-10 Griffin averaged 8.7 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.63 blocks in 150 games over two seasons but got in plenty of trouble off the court.
During training camp last year, Griffin was suspended by the Rockets for missing a practice and a team flight. While suspended, he was charged with aggravated assault for punching a woman and shooting at her at his home.
Griffin's guilty plea in that case led to his suspension. He also was charged with marijuana possession in April 2003 and punched a teammate while playing collegiately at Seton Hall.
Griffin later entered a treatment facility for substance abuse and depression and was waived by the Rockets in December. He signed with the Nets on January 8 but again was waived in February.

A Philadelphia native, Griffin is battling rookies Kasib Powell and Rick Rickert and veteran John Thomas for one of several roster spots on the defending division champions. He is averaging 9.0 points and 6.0 rebounds in the preseason.
"We are focused on his future and are working to advance his development as both a player and a person," McHale said. "Eddie has had a very positive preseason, and we're looking forward to him helping us win games."

Male30Dan
10-21-2004, 08:44 PM
I was sorta tricked by that post due to my own ignorance... Just in case anyone else skims over it and thinks: "WHAT A DUMBASS, ARE YOU TELLING ME AFTER BEING GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE WITH MINNY HE TURNS AROUND AND GETS SUSPENDED AGAIN" please take note that this suspension was for something he did LAST year!!!

EricaLubarsky
10-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by: Male23Dan
I was sorta tricked by that post due to my own ignorance... Just in case anyone else skims over it and thinks: "WHAT A DUMBASS, ARE YOU TELLING ME AFTER BEING GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE WITH MINNY HE TURNS AROUND AND GETS SUSPENDED AGAIN" please take note that this suspension was for something he did LAST year!!!

yeah, didnt mean to imply that he did something else...just updating the news.