PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James became a father today

mavs413
10-06-2004, 04:30 PM
CLEVELAND (AP) - LeBron James had a good reason for missing practice Wednesday. He became a father.

The Cavaliers star guard and his longtime girlfriend, a 19-year-old Akron woman, had a baby boy Wednesday. No other details were available.

James left the team's training camp in Columbus to be with her and his new son. He was expected to rejoin the team Thursday as he prepares for his second NBA season.

During the team's media day Monday at Gund Arena, James wouldn't comment when asked if he were about to become a father. He has always been guarded about his private life.

Fatherhood should fit James well. The reigning rookie of the year, who turns 20 in December, is most relaxed when he is among children. This summer, he donated money to refurbish basketball courts and youth community centers in Akron. He has also donated supplies to the city's schools.

James was raised as an only child by his mother Gloria, who was estranged from James' father when he was a youngster

"That's my main goal, to try and be a better father than the one I had," James told the Akron Beacon Journal. "I didn't know him. I didn't know the situation he was in. But I'm going to do my job the best way I can."

The identity of James' father has always been mysterious. The paper reported he has died.

Another father figure in James' life, Eddie Jackson, is serving a three-year prison term for mortgage and mail fraud.

On Monday, James said he matured as a result of having played a year in the pros and because of his experience of being on the U.S. Olympic team. He knows being a dad will make him grow up even more.

"I'm excited about it," he said. "It's a wonderful opportunity in life."

EricaLubarsky
10-07-2004, 02:24 AM
way too young in my opinion, but he is very mature and he's certainly financially secure.

I just hope he stays with her....NBA players tend to get bored with women very quickly.

endtroducing
10-07-2004, 09:56 AM
way too young? how about congratulating the guy instead of being immediatley judgmental?

way to go lebron.

TripleDipping
10-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

I just hope he stays with her....NBA players tend to get bored with women very quickly.

What are the odds, EL, what are the odds?

Endtroducing: If I were James' father, I'd be judgemental before I congratulate the kid. What 19 year-old is ready for fatherhood?

"On Monday, James said he matured as a result of having played a year in the pros and because of his experience of being on the U.S. Olympic team. He knows being a dad will make him grow up even more."

You don't get a child to make you grow up, you get a child because you ARE grown up.

sike
10-07-2004, 11:16 AM
The Cavaliers star guard and his longtime girlfriend
yeah, they've been dating since senior prom.

way too young? how about congratulating the guy instead of being immediatley judgmental?
way to go lebron.
this is one of the most idiotic statements I have ever read on this forum...and I lived through MightyTonie.

chumdawg
10-07-2004, 11:42 AM
MT...sigh...I guess our loss is some Hawks board's gain...

endtroducing
10-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by: TripleDipping
[quote]
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

Endtroducing: If I were James' father, I'd be judgemental before I congratulate the kid. What 19 year-old is ready for fatherhood?

so I'm not ready to raise my daughter? thanks!

that was a real jerk thing to say, especially if you have no idea about the person you're directing it towards. that's a real slap in the face to hear that kind of crap, especially after you've been put through purgatory by a bunch of conservative assholes for almost 2 years now...someone telling I can't raise my child...that's across the line.

TripleDipping
10-07-2004, 01:01 PM
so I'm not ready to raise my daughter? thanks!

Don't ask me, ask yourself. I can go on and on about the responsibilities (parental and financial) involved in raising a child but I won't do that here.
A millionaire professional athelete who has all the fortune and fame in the world, and he spends a great deal of time being away from his family... and the guy's 19.
I wish you and your daughter well, but being a parent at 19 is too soon IMHO.

endtroducing
10-07-2004, 01:05 PM
it doesn't matter when the child is born...all that matters is if you love it, provide for it, and take care of it.

EricaLubarsky
10-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Did I know you were a teenage parent? no. Was it meant to insult anyone wh has had children earlier? No. Was it a statement of my opinion as a 21 year old who is not ready for children? yes.

vinnieponte
10-07-2004, 01:55 PM
too much drama for me, no kids and never will i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

poohrichardson
10-07-2004, 06:56 PM
Congrats to him.. I don't think anything else needs to be snuck in with that.

endtroducing
10-08-2004, 12:19 PM
maybe it wasn't meant to, but you could try to be a little more mature about topics like that. being so brash about it pissed me off.

"WAY TOO EARLY IMO" was pretty disrespectful, regardless if you knew I was a parent or not...you don't know what it takes to raise a child, or even any idea how hard it is (regardless if you have money or not). until you do, I suggest you not offer up your opinion on the matter...I get it enough from people I actually know.

TripleDipping
10-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by: endtroducing
it doesn't matter when the child is born...all that matters is if you love it, provide for it, and take care of it.

It's unfortunate that you refer your child as 'it'.
Objecting to teenaged pregnancy/parenthood has nothing to do with being conservative.

sike
10-08-2004, 04:26 PM
*sigh*.....some might enjoy life more here (http://www.mavtalk.com/cgi-bin/)

mary
10-08-2004, 05:03 PM
It should be illegal to reproduce before 25...or after 45. Then you should have to pass an IQ test, undergo an extensive psychological evaluation, meet minimal financial requirements and voluntarily allow the government to tap your phone 12 months prior to planned conception (we have to look out for potential procreating terrorists).

endtroducing
10-09-2004, 12:13 AM

Objecting to teenaged pregnancy/parenthood has nothing to do with being conservative.

I wasn't referring to my child as 'it'...I was talking in a generalized way, as in anyone's child...I don't call my daughter it, jackass.

Male30Dan
10-09-2004, 12:47 AM
ET... You simply cant avoid arguments huh??? Well, at least we have that in common!!!

rakesh.s
10-09-2004, 12:59 AM
sigh..teen dads

didn't lebron's mom have him when she was like 15 or something?

doesn't anyone learn from anything anymore?

mary
10-09-2004, 06:52 AM
I'm all for calling children "it" or "this" - I do it all the time myself. As in, "Can you make it stop crying?", or "Will you please take this home?"

Smiles
10-13-2004, 08:28 PM
edit -

Murphy3
10-13-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
sigh..teen dads

didn't lebron's mom have him when she was like 15 or something?

doesn't anyone learn from anything anymore?

Yeah I know...look how Lebron turned out.
i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

TripleDipping
10-14-2004, 10:05 AM

I wasn't referring to my child as 'it'...I was talking in a generalized way, as in anyone's child...I don't call my daughter it, jackass.

Yeah... and I think you're a genius and a moron. Check what you just typed.
Good English. Good mannaers... seems like you're set in being a great dad. Congrats.

Big Boy Laroux
10-14-2004, 07:17 PM
i think people should be having babies at an even YOUNGER age! 12 or 13! the faster people have kids, the faster we can repopulate this planet!

oh wait, no need to repopulate? my bad.

MavKikiNYC
10-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
i think people should be having babies at an even YOUNGER age! 12 or 13! the faster people have kids, the faster we can repopulate this planet!

And save Social Security.