PDA

View Full Version : Alonzo Mourning Quote

Hitman
10-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Said Alonzo Mourning who's attempting a comeback after a kidney transplant: 'When I came last year, I didn't know things would turn out the way they did. My overall intentions were to help this team win a world title. Now, looking on paper, I don't think we have a chance at doing that at all. I really don't.'

Ummm... Alonzo, it is because of your ridiculous contract that the Nets didn't resign Kenyon Martin, and thus, don't have a chance to win the NBA title.

So please shut up and be grateful that you are getting paid 22 million for four years, during which time you will do absolutely nothing.

capitalcity
10-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to see Alonzo donate the majority of that 20 million to kidney disease research?

EricaLubarsky
10-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by: capitalcity
Wouldn't it be nice to see Alonzo donate the majority of that 20 million to kidney disease research?

I'd say.

MavKikiNYC
03-04-2005, 08:22 AM
First 'Sheed (CTC), then T-Mac, now 'Zo. Where will it end? Say it ain't so, superstars.

<Cue extended version house re-mix of Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson's "Kidney Stew" to accompany forhtcoming Madape rant.>

Mourning Fires Shots at Nets in His Return to New Jersey
By LIZ ROBBINS

Published: March 4, 2005

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J., March 3 - Alonzo Mourning came to New Jersey in 2003 to win a championship.

His blinding obsession brought him back to Continental Arena on Thursday night. Only this time, he was wearing his old Miami Heat uniform, turning his back on the Nets as he said he did at the end of his tenure in New Jersey.

In his first game since signing with Miami on Tuesday, Mourning entered with 2 minutes 19 seconds left in the Heat's 106-90 to a smattering of boos from the few remaining fans.

"Hey, they should be booing the person who broke the team up, to tell you the truth," Mourning said, firing one final volley that followed his other criticisms.

Mourning offered no thanks to the Nets for trading him to Toronto last December, or to the Raptors for agreeing to a $9 million buyout so he could rejoin the Heat for $325,000. He thanked only his doctors for supporting him during his kidney transplant.

And then Mourning admitted that he stopped caring about playing for a team that had given him a four-year, $22.6 million contract in 2003.

"It got to the point here - I never felt this way about basketball in my life - where I didn't care," Mourning said. "Where I stepped on the floor and it was like, 'Wow, I don't care.' It was kind of unfortunate, because I never thought I would reach that level."

Mourning harshly criticized the Nets' new owner, Bruce C. Ratner, at the beginning of this season for not re-signing Kenyon Martin and for what Mourning said was a broken promise to build a championship squad.

"I told them that I'm at the stage of my career based on my health and where I am mentally, I couldn't be a part of anything rebuilding," Mourning said. "Otherwise, I wouldn't play this game, it's just not worth it to me to put the time out on the court and not see a reward at the end of it all. That's the most important thing: seeing a reward and winning."

Asked about people's perceptions of his actions, Mourning said: "I can't worry about that. I got to worry about Alonzo Mourning. Because, a year or two ago, there was a chance that Alonzo Mourning wouldn't be standing here talking to you, that's the cold reality of it."

He added, "I've been blessed, fortunate, given a chance to live a normal life again."

And win a title.

But that has eluded other great players in the National Basketball Association. Whether driven by selfishness or competitive fervor, several players this season have asked to be traded in search of a championship.

From Vince Carter to Jason Kidd to Mourning to Baron Davis to Jim Jackson, all but Kidd are playing for new teams, and owners are getting upset.

A small group of owners met Thursday to discuss, among other things, their concerns over players' increasing demands to get out of contracts, according to one owner who attended the meeting.

At the same time, it seems as if teams are enabling players to leave because they realize buyouts could serve their interests in winning a championship.

Mourning scoffed when asked if he was gratified that the Nets signed him to a big contract despite the kidney ailment that kept him out for two of the last three seasons.

"They wouldn't have taken a chance with me unless they knew what they were getting out of it," he said. "You know why they signed me here."

The Nets were desperate to avoid losing Kidd as a free agent, which resulted in their giving a big contract to Mourning, a friend of Kidd's.

Mourning played only 12 games in 2003 before his kidney transplant. He returned last October disgruntled. By December, Mourning had made himself into what the Nets' president, Rod Thorn, termed a distraction.

Mourning's surliness over his situation only festered. And then his body began to break down, not from the kidney transplant, but because he was unable to bear the pounding of N.B.A. play without taking anti-inflammatory medication.

Mourning shot back at Thorn on Thursday, calling it unfair for Thorn to criticize him after he was traded to Toronto.

The Raptors said they acquired Mourning on Dec. 17 for Carter to match their salaries, and Mourning told them he did not want to play for them.

"Our basketball staff unanimously was against the idea of doing a buyout for a player, paying for him not to play," Toronto General Manager Rob Babcock said.

Upon further review of Mourning's medical records, Babcock said, Mourning "did not meet medical standards to play for our basketball team." The Raptors relented, realizing they could save about $3 million by buying out Mourning.

Mourning, who said he no longer can "carry a team," does not know what his role will be in Miami and told Coach Stan Van Gundy that he did not want to disrupt the Heat's chemistry. Van Gundy said that Mourning would sometimes be the second center off the bench or the third behind Michael Doleac.

"Zo knows the deal, he's coming to a team that was 42-16," Van Gundy said. "Zo would tell you he didn't expect us to trash our rotation in one night."

Mourning, who played seven seasons with Miami, will continue to wear a plastic guard over his kidney.

"It's not a risk," he said. "I got the best doctors in the world. So, for them to allow me to play, I'm confident that I can play."

GP
03-04-2005, 09:19 AM
I think teams ought to have some sort of legal recourse when these prima donna players decide they aren't going to play hard or produce on the court in order to get traded to another team. Players like Carter, Baron Davis, and Alonzo Mourning make me sick. They get paid lots and lots of money and still can't find it in their heart to care about what they are doing. These guys are the poster children for why sports teams should never in a million years give out guaranteed contracts. Over the years we have seen in the NBA way to many players who play hard, get a nice fat contract and basically quit on their team until the next contract year. Players like Vin Baker, Isaac Austin, etc. The NFL doesn't have this problem. If a player doesn't try in that league they won't be playing for very long because the team has the ability to fire that player. In the NBA you can certainly cut a guy; however, you still have to pay his salary. That is a rediculous concept. Why on earth should a team pay a guy for not playing?

V2M
03-04-2005, 09:41 AM
NFL's got a better and more stable system. They have a hard-cap and non-guaranteed contracts. Star players make their money up-front from signing bonuses. And we don't hear of so many players, like in the NBA, who want a huge contract from whichever team possible and then like to get traded immediately to a contender. Have the cake and eat it too, if you will.

capitalcity
04-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to see Alonzo donate the majority of that 20 million to kidney disease research?Well it's not exactly what I had in mind but...

Zo makes donations to help poor kids, kidney patients
espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2043282)

MIAMI -- Alonzo Mourning is donating his Miami Heat salary for this season to charities that serve the city's underprivileged youth and help poor kidney patients.

Mourning, a former Heat All-Star who rejoined the team in March as a backup center, will give about $300,000 to organizations that promote literacy and education for poor youths. That represents the Heat's share of his NBA veteran minimum salary of $1 million shared with his former team, the New Jersey Nets.

Other donations are earmarked for charities that provide food to poor kidney dialysis patients. Mourning, whose basketball career was interrupted by bouts of kidney disease, received a transplant in December 2003.

Mourning said Thursday that his main goal in donating his Heat salary is to publicize the work being done by a variety of organizations in South Florida.

"The impact of the money is important, but it's also to create awareness about the impact these organizations are having on people's lives," he said. "The more we are able to make people aware of that, the more likely we are to find solutions for these problems."

The donations will be made through Mourning's foundation, Alonzo Mourning Charities, which he founded in 1997 to assist a variety of charitable organizations in South Florida, New Jersey and the Hampton Roads, Va., area where he grew up.

The foundation has donated or raised more than $1.5 million for Miami's Children's Home Society over the past nine years.

kingrex
04-22-2005, 05:11 PM
That's a nice story.

However, how much would the fans at New Jersey hate this guy if he becomes instrumental in ousting the Nets from the play-offs?

Although, it was in trading him that they got Vince Carter, so they can't be too pissed. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

mavsman
04-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Don't know if this has been already answered around here, but has there ever been a team besides this year's Heat that had the first three picks of one draft playing for them?