PDA

View Full Version : The end of the NBA three pointer?

EricaLubarsky
10-14-2004, 01:46 PM
NBA thinking of banning 3-Pointers until end of game (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/10133-pointers-ON.html)
Bloomberg News
Oct. 13, 2004 12:00 AM

The National Basketball Association is considering a plan to abolish the 3-point shot until the end of games to increase shooting percentages and make the sport more aesthetically pleasing.

The NBA may ban 3-pointers until there's five minutes left in the game in its development league this season, Stu Jackson, NBA senior vice president of basketball operations, said in a telephone interview. The National Basketball Development League season is scheduled to begin Nov. 19.

"We've talked about it," Jackson said. "We're wrestling with the idea." He said it was too early to tell if the NBA would change the rule. advertisement

"I don't want to jump that far ahead," he said. "It's a very radical change, certainly one that would take a great deal of time to get support if there were positive aspects."

Banning the 3-point shot until late in the game might lead to a more up-tempo style and higher shooting percentages because players would be encouraged to take shots closer to the basket. It also would stop players on fast breaks from pulling up for a shot from the three-point line instead of going for layups.

The NBA instituted the 3-point shot in 1979. Last season, teams shot a combined 34.7 percent from beyond the 3-point line, which ranges from 22 feet to 23-feet, 9-inches from the basket.

Rules Changes

Tinkering or even overhauling the rules isn't uncommon for the NBA, which altered its guidelines allowing teams to play zone defenses before the 2001-02 season. Previously, only man-to-man defense was permitted.

One of the reasons the NBA started the six-team development league in 2001 was to use it as a testing ground for rules changes, Jackson said.

Steve Kerr, who made a record 45 percent of the 3-pointers that he attempted in his career, said he supports the elimination of the long-range shot.

"I kind of liked the 3-pointer before every player on every team was a 3-point shooter," Kerr, who won five NBA championships, said in a telephone interview. "It's being shot way too often these days and it's hurting the game. I wouldn't mind seeing an experiment that gets rid of it."

Since no one can shoot the three in the olympics, I guess we are just going to bury our head in the dirt and make threes less important.

TripleDipping
10-14-2004, 02:13 PM
That's stupid. What's next, all the players must wear tight shorts to promote aerodymanics?

cheesestar
10-14-2004, 04:13 PM
im going to have to say No on this one. i think the three point shot is a valuable asset to the game of basketball.

Big Boy Laroux
10-14-2004, 04:14 PM
dumb, dumb, dumb.

stu jackson proves his idiocy once more.

bernardos70
10-14-2004, 04:15 PM
If you're a center you get to shoot free throws 3 feet closer to the basket.

sike
10-14-2004, 04:24 PM
which ranges from 22 feet to 23-feet, 9-inches from the basket.
the shot is shorter on the baseline right?

bernardos70
10-14-2004, 04:35 PM
Yes, but no backboard , so you can't really bank it in i/expressions/moon.gif

capitalcity
10-14-2004, 04:38 PM
I afraid there could be an "unfortunate accident" in Kerr's future.

Please shut your mouth Steve - i don't wanna make that phone call.

Jbrjo
10-14-2004, 04:46 PM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1902007)

Associated Press
NEW YORK -- The NBA has no plans to change its rules for the 3-point shot, though it will proceed with an experiment for its developmental league in which all field goals will be worth two points until the final five minutes of regulation and overtime.

"This is a not a rule for consideration in the NBA and has never been discussed by the competition committee," NBA vice president Stu Jackson said Thursday, adding he expects the minor-league NBDL to approve the experiment for the season that begins Nov. 19. It would be the first time in the NBDL's four-year history that an experimental rules change would be instituted.

"We have a minor league that has proven successful in being a training ground for players, coaches and future administrative staffs, but until now we haven't utilized it as a potential laboratory for the game in general," Jackson said.Jackson said data would be reviewed after the NBDL season to assess what impact the rule had on mid-range jumpers, offensive coaching strategies and overall field-goal percentages.The NBA has had a 3-point shot for baskets made from beyond 23 feet, nine inches (22 feet in the corners) since the 1979-80 season, and the number of attempts has steadily risen over the course of the quarter-century in which the rule has been in effect.

"If you look at the game overall, including the collegiate and high school level, since the inception of the 3-point shot, it's being taken with an increasing amount of frequency, which in part has driven shooting percentages south," Jackson said. "The 3 has become a real focal point of offenses, and we would like to turn the clock back and see what the game is like without it and the effect it has."No rules changes will be in effect for the upcoming NBA season, Jackson said, although referees have been instructed to call fouls on defenders who extend their forearms to impede the progress of offensive players.

Evilmav2
10-14-2004, 06:18 PM
I bet Kyle Korver won't be sleeping very easily after hearing about this kind of talk...

MavKikiNYC
10-14-2004, 06:29 PM
This is one of the most stupid proposals I've ever heard, and it's definitely not Kerr's finest moment. The 3-point shot was supposed to save the game, open up the floor, keep teams from packing it in against the big men.

It's become one of the best features of the game, and would penalize a whole skill set right out of the league.

Screw Stooge Ackson dry. Leave the 3-pointer in the NBA, and leave it alone.

Fidel
10-14-2004, 06:42 PM
XFL?

The fact that they´d even talk about such an incredibly stupid idea or give it a try in their developemental league tells you alot about the guys running the league. Sad just sad.

How about calling no fouls at all in the fourth? They could call it the "bloodfest" quarter.

GP
10-14-2004, 07:54 PM
I personally can't stand the 3 point shot. It was great when Bird was shooting it. Unfortunately, there are so many Antoine Walkers out there now that it is ruining the game. I happen to like the 15-20 foot jump shot which has become non-existent because everyone concentrates on shooting the three. I like good ball movement, good defense, and good interior play. In my opinion the 3 pointer is a terrible shot and is boring. I'd like to see them junk the 3 pointer entirely. If they only had it for the last 5 minutes I think that would be worse than their current rules. I think if a person watches a game just to see 100 points scoring then they don't understand the value of teamwork. To me a badly played 120-118 game is worse than watching a well played 90-88 game.

fin4life
10-14-2004, 09:08 PM
I really hope that the three point line stays. If they feel the need to increase the fg% and make, make the three point like a foot shorter. Although I would like it most if no changes were made at all.

bernardos70
10-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by: GP
I personally can't stand the 3 point shot. It was great when Bird was shooting it. Unfortunately, there are so many Antoine Walkers out there now that it is ruining the game. I happen to like the 15-20 foot jump shot which has become non-existent because everyone concentrates on shooting the three. I like good ball movement, good defense, and good interior play. In my opinion the 3 pointer is a terrible shot and is boring. I'd like to see them junk the 3 pointer entirely. If they only had it for the last 5 minutes I think that would be worse than their current rules. I think if a person watches a game just to see 100 points scoring then they don't understand the value of teamwork. To me a badly played 120-118 game is worse than watching a well played 90-88 game.

The three point line helps good ball movement. Bad shooters shoot themselves out of the game, so you don't have to watch them in the playoffs. Interior play is helped by the three point line, as it spaces it out, helps slashing, gives more space for players to work on inside. I really dislike the idea and I really disagree with most of the points you made in favor of the banning of the 3-point line, even though I agree with most of your other posts. To me a badly played 120-118 game is worse than watching a well played 90-88 game, too. But to me a well played 120-118 game is even better than a well played 90-88 game

bernardos70
10-14-2004, 10:58 PM
double double post post

Max Power
10-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Banning the 3-point shot until late in the game might lead to a more up-tempo style

So might banning the dunk. Or making a dunk only count one point. But those radical changes are never discussed because they've been a part of the game too long. 3 pointers haven't.

scorched03
10-15-2004, 11:28 AM
nellie and the mavs would def. hate this...

vinnieponte
10-15-2004, 11:34 AM
this is one of the stupidest idea i've ever heard. screw the league! Are they so bored from the offseason that they need to draw up crazy ideas to boost more intrest?

MavKikiNYC
10-15-2004, 07:10 PM
3-Pointer Will Stay the Same in N.B.A.
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: October 14, 2004

Filed at 4:22 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NBA has no plans to change its rules for the 3-point shot, though it will proceed with an experiment for its developmental league in which all field goals will be worth 2 points until the final five minutes of regulation and overtime.

``This is a not a rule for consideration in the NBA and has never been discussed by the competition committee,'' NBA vice president Stooge Ackson said Thursday, adding he expects the minor league NBDL to approve the experiment for the season that begins Nov. 19.

It would be the first time in the NBDL's four-year history that an experimental rules change would be instituted.

``We have a minor league that has proven successful in being a training ground for players, coaches and future administrative staffs, but until now we haven't utilized it as a potential laboratory for the game in general,'' Ackson said.

Ackson said data would be reviewed after the NBDL season to assess what impact the rule had on mid-range jumpers, offensive coaching strategies and overall field-goal percentages.

The NBA has had a 3-point shot for baskets made from beyond 23 feet, nine inches (22 feet in the corners) since the 1979-80 season, and the number of attempts has steadily risen over the course of the quarter-century in which the rule has been in effect.

``If you look at the game overall, including the collegiate and high school level since the inception of the 3-point shot, it's being taken with an increasing amount of frequency, which in part has driven shooting percentages south,'' Ackson said. ``The 3 has become a real focal point of offenses, and we would like to turn the clock back and see what the game is like without it and the effect it has.''

No rules changes will be in effect for the upcoming NBA season, Ackson said, although referees have been instructed to call fouls on defenders who extend their forearms to impede the progress of offensive players.

10-16-2004, 06:46 AM
Most stupid idea ever....

Phil Helmuth
10-18-2004, 06:55 PM
How about a running clock during the first and third quarters, and each player gets all their fouls back at the start of the 4th quarter?

twelli
10-19-2004, 07:39 AM
I'd rather have a 4-point-shot from mid-court -- like a grand slam home run of sorts... i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

MavKikiNYC
10-19-2004, 09:37 PM
1 point for shots inside the lane.

1.5 points for free throws

2 points for shots out to the arc.

3 points for shots out to midcourt.

4 points for shots beyond midcourt.

No goaltending rules.

No charging inside the paint.

No fouls against defenders on dunk attempts.

Eliminate that pesky double-dribble rule.

EricaLubarsky
10-21-2004, 04:01 PM
Eliminate that pesky double-dribble rule.

a few more...

let players palm the ball....or cradle it
eliminate all fouls except for pulling on jerseys or contact with the head
Ball stays in offensive possession unless the ball pops out of his possession before he falls to the ground
Only point guards can pass and only behind the line of scrimmage