PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated move of the offseason

rakesh.s
10-19-2004, 10:43 PM
what do you think?

i'd say Brent Barry signing with the spurs...he may help with playing PG when parker is in foul trouble or is hurt but other than that i don't see him being the shooting threat that everyone makes him out to be

4cwebb
10-20-2004, 05:19 AM
I don't know if it's highly rated, but someone deciding that Brian Cardinal deserved more than $6 million per year to play basketball grossly overrated his abilities, at least from my perspective.

Nash13
10-20-2004, 10:40 AM
4cwebb, i'd like to add Memhet Okur to that as well.

dirt_dobber
10-20-2004, 11:25 AM
I think the most overated move was .......
How Orlando was so pumped in getting Steve Francis and C. Mobley

They are really bragging, yes they will score but Francis is a punk!!!!

rakesh.s
10-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by: dirt_dobber
I think the most overated move was .......
How Orlando was so pumped in getting Steve Francis and C. Mobley

They are really bragging, yes they will score but Francis is a punk!!!!

are they bragging? i thought everyone had written them off already

i think they're going to do better than people expect..especially if grant hill is healthy

seal614
10-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Too early to tell... way too early.

I really think Brent Barry can ball... we'll see.

- Brian

EricaLubarsky
10-20-2004, 01:25 PM
1) Okur. No doubt.
2) Barry
3) Q-rich
4) McGrady
5) Francis

vinnieponte
10-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
what do you think?

i'd say Brent Barry signing with the spurs...he may help with playing PG when parker is in foul trouble or is hurt but other than that i don't see him being the shooting threat that everyone makes him out to be

No way would I say Brent Barry. He is worth it, and not only are the spurs great, but I shutter to think how we will play against them next week.

Phil Helmuth
10-20-2004, 07:53 PM
How about worst signing in the offseason? Adonyl Foyle, without question.

Murphy3
10-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Barry was a great pickup for the Spurs.

sike
10-21-2004, 11:08 AM
I agree with Barry being a really good move...who is overrating it?

Murphy3
10-21-2004, 12:19 PM
I suppose the following FG%'s are overrated: 46.3, 49.4, 50.8, 45.8, and 50.4.
I suppose the following 3pt%'s are overrated: 41.1, 47.6, 42.4, 40.3, and 45.2.

What are these numbers?...Well, BBarry's FG% and 3pt%'s for the past 5 years. Plus, he's averaged over 5 assists in 2 or 3 years in a row.

rakesh.s
12-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by: Murphy3
I suppose the following FG%'s are overrated: 46.3, 49.4, 50.8, 45.8, and 50.4.
I suppose the following 3pt%'s are overrated: 41.1, 47.6, 42.4, 40.3, and 45.2.

What are these numbers?...Well, BBarry's FG% and 3pt%'s for the past 5 years. Plus, he's averaged over 5 assists in 2 or 3 years in a row.

damn barry sure has been a force for the spurs hasn't he..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3017

StvNash13
12-10-2004, 12:42 AM
the most overrated move of the offseason is Kenyon Martin to Denver. He hasn't done anything for them.

4cwebb
12-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by: StvNash13
the most overrated move of the offseason is Kenyon Martin to Denver. He hasn't done anything for them.

This is actually an excellent point -- not only has Kenyon been playing like crap, but he's keeping Nene from developing, which is the true problem for the Nuggets. Martin hit his ceiling a year or so ago. Nene had only scratched the surface of his talents to this point, now he's not getting development time.

DirkN003
12-10-2004, 11:58 AM
B.Barry has his games but isnt the allaround allstar hes supposed to be on the Spurs.

WayOutWest
12-10-2004, 10:15 PM
I'd say T-Mac to Houston so far but it's still early and they may turn it around yet.

Other than that I'd agree with the K. Martin overhype.

jayC
12-10-2004, 10:44 PM
T-Mac overrated are you kidding? The guy is the only playmaker, shot creator on the entire team. Yao Ming is good , but not great yet.

Overrated move of the offseason:
Terry and Henderson for Walker and Delk

I mean on the seams we got a good trade. Walker is out of our hair right. Except the mavs have no playmakers on offense with the exception of Dirk. Terry is just not aggressive enough.

followed by Jamal Crawford
The Knicks have how many swingmen know. And no cap flexibility.

Underrated moves:
Orlando drafting Dwight Howard the kid is a beast. And with scorers in the back court he can do damage on the boards.
Steve Nash, Queintin Richardson- Steve has transformed the worst team out west into one of the Best.
The big question is who would you rather have? Steve Nash or Erick Dampier?

EricaLubarsky
12-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Walker would be our playmaker? Are you kidding? Is there something in the water the last couple of days?

Terry isnt aggressive enough but having Walker and Delk would have helped us? Terry has had some mighty fine games, but he's a new PG who has been here for a couple of months. Let's not mention that he's been significantly bothered by one of his first injuries. When he presses offensively, he's more than enough.

u2sarajevo
12-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Walker would be our playmaker? Are you kidding? Is there something in the water the last couple of days?It's called losing. It happens every year when we lose a big game, the knee-jerk responses come out.

4cwebb
12-12-2004, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by: DirkN003
B.Barry has his games but isnt the allaround allstar hes supposed to be on the Spurs.

Case in point: Saturday's game against the Cavs -- Barry played 8 minutes and took zero shots. Impact free agent if I ever saw one right there.

fin4life
12-13-2004, 12:39 AM
Barry was never supposed to be an all-star. He is a role player off the bench who can provide shooting and passing. He is athletic (he actually won a slam dunk contest) and makes good decision.

K-mart is the biggest disappointment for sure. This is a guy who was an all-star and people were saying that the nuggets were basically getting him for nothing. Well, I bet that they would love to have those 3 #1 draft picks back right about now.

4cwebb
12-13-2004, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by: fin4life
Barry was never supposed to be an all-star. He is a role player off the bench who can provide shooting and passing. He is athletic (he actually won a slam dunk contest) and makes good decision.

K-mart is the biggest disappointment for sure. This is a guy who was an all-star and people were saying that the nuggets were basically getting him for nothing. Well, I bet that they would love to have those 3 #1 draft picks back right about now.

While KMart has been a disappointment, I can't say that it's all that surprising. Let's not forget that Antoine Walker was also an All Star in the Leastern conference at PF a couple years back. He's a guy who is all effort and hustle, yet despite all that effort and hustle he is not a big-time rebounder. His offensive game is terribly limited, and he doesn't free up any space for Melo because he has no low post game. QRich would have been a much better fit in Denver.

EricaLubarsky
12-13-2004, 03:27 AM
K-Mart has always been overhyped but he's playing.....okay.

Brent Barry was touted as the guy that would bring the Spurs everything they lacked. He hasnt done any of those things.

razap
12-13-2004, 12:59 PM
K-Mart has always been overhyped but he's playing.....okay.

Brent Barry was touted as the guy that would bring the Spurs everything they lacked. He hasnt done any of those things.

erica , if that is your name, nice picture , if that is your picture, but can anyone wait until the end of the season to see who made the best moves.. i think it is silly to pick players out after only 1/4 of a season with their new team.

mary
02-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Maybe not "overrated" per se....but do you think the Kings thought they would be getting SOMETHING out of Ostertag?

jayC
02-07-2005, 02:27 PM
I said in my next sentence that Walker is better on the bench. At the time Terry wasn't playing very well he looked lost. Terry and Walker from a talent stand point, Walker is better. From a chemistry standpoint no question we are better off without Walker.

EricaLubarsky
02-07-2005, 03:54 PM
walker is better than Terry at what?

If he doesnt help you win, he isnt better.

grndmstr_c
02-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Boozer's been pretty darn disappointing if you ask me, though I think K-Mart's the clear winner (er...loser) in this case.

DubOverdose
02-08-2005, 02:00 PM
KMart. I didn't think he was going to help, but every other fan thought he was going to make Denver contenders....hah! Okur, while I haven't seen him play, seems to have given Utah a great boost off the bench. Whenever I check their box score he has a double double and helps Utah pull out a win.

madape
02-08-2005, 03:55 PM
walker is better than Terry at what?

If he doesnt help you win, he isnt better.

Remind me again how many games Jason Terry helped Atlanta win over the past three years...

EricaLubarsky
02-08-2005, 05:11 PM
96?

And how about you compare the number of games Walker helped us win last year to the number of games Terry has helped us win this year.

chumdawg
02-08-2005, 05:40 PM
96?

And how about you compare the number of games Walker helped us win last year to the number of games Terry has helped us win this year.
I remember that jumper from the corner that Walker nailed in Seattle, I think it was. I remember the game in LA where Walker made a big difference. Will two do? i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

EricaLubarsky
02-08-2005, 05:53 PM
he did have the two gamewinners...but his stats tended to show that he hurt this team.

Terry was a +4.2 last year for the lowly Hawks, and is second on the Mavs this year with +10.3
Walker was -7.6 on the Mavs team last year and is -17.7 on the lowly Hawks this year.

Walker last year-

our FG% was worse with him on the floor, (-0.8%)
our FG% allowed was worse with him on the floor, (+1.8%)
we blocked fewer shots,
and had our shots blocked more often when he was on the floor,
Our points per 100 was worse by 6 points with him on the floor, (112.4ppg opposed to 118.3 with him off the court)
Our opponents had a better PP100 with him on the floor by about 5 points, ( 110.3 with him on, 105.7 with him off)
Our offensive rebounding was hurt by about 3 percent with him on the floor
our total rebounding was hurt by 1.1% with him on the floor
We took 4 fewer FTs with him on the floor
We gave opponents 3 extra FT opportunities while he was on the floor

and this year

Hawks have a worse FG% with him on the floor
allow opponents to shoot 51.6% while he is on the floor, opposed to 44.6% when he's off
Offensive rebounding is off by 4.1% with him on the floor
rebounding is off by 1.1% with him out there
Hawks shoot fewer FTs when he's out there
opponents shoot 5 more FTs when he's out there

doesnt seem like last year was a fluke, either.

EricaLubarsky
02-08-2005, 06:03 PM
and just so you dont think that Terry is just as bad...

this year
he improves our FG% by 3.4% when he is out there
he improves our opponent FG% by 1.6%
Our PP100 is 10 points better with him out there (104.9 opposed to 114.9)
Our opponent PP100 is worse with him on the floor by 1.5points
our shots are blocked less often
won't talk about rebounding since he isnt a rebounder but we're +2.3% with him out there
we shoot 3 more FTs
our opponents shoot fewer FTs with him on the floor (-3)

last year

he improved FG% by 3.1%
he improved the PP100 for his team by 8.7points
his team took 2 more FTs while he was out there
opponents shot fewer FTs

etc, etc....

P.S. Terry also had a +4.5 roland ranking in 2002-2003 as well.

Big Boy Laroux
02-08-2005, 06:12 PM
the question is: would we have even been in a close game in seattle, needing walker to hit that shot, if we had terry instead of walker?