PDA

View Full Version : Nash is proving his worth now

MavsFanFinley
10-20-2004, 12:48 AM
Nash is proving his worth now
Former Mavs guard is disappointed, but won't look back

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO The point guard the Mavericks let walk ran the court Tuesday with his usual frenetic flair.

He was everything Phoenix expected.

For the first time in six years, Steve Nash didn't work to get the ball into the hands of Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley. His job these days is to make a connection with Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion. On this night, he even made Jake Voskuhl look good.

Nash finished with 11 assists in three quarters in his first game for the Suns. That's more than his replacement, Jason Terry, had in his first two games with the Mavericks.

Is there any way to quantify how much Nash means to the development of a young, athletic Suns team that pushed its preseason record to 3-0 with a 104-96 win over San Antonio?

"At least $64 million worth," said Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni, referring to Nash's contract. "But, no, you can't measure it.

"I don't care how much you pay Steve Nash. He's probably underpaid."

Nash talked about how tough it was to leave behind his friends and teammates in Dallas. He conceded he's disappointed by some of the comments made upon his departure and said he hasn't spoken to Mavericks owner Mark Cuban in months. But he doesn't want to drag up "all that old stuff."

"I don't have a lot of time to cry over what happened," Nash said, "because things are so good in Phoenix."

4cwebb
10-20-2004, 05:17 AM
It will certainly be interesting to see if Phoenix can move back into some sort of playoff contention with the offseason additions of Nash and Richardson. They need to trade Marion, Richardson or JJohnson for a center than can at least start and play 25 to 30 minutes per game.

Steve13
10-20-2004, 09:03 AM
at one stage Nash had his 11 assists in only 18 minutes.

MavKikiNYC
10-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Nash should be exactly what the Suns need to focus them and give them offensive coherence, so that they can move from a disorganized, underachieving, underperforming team with a losing record, to a mid-level team capable of competing with and occasionally upsetting the Top 5 teams in the league.

Nash may even be less of a defensive liability with the Suns than he was with the Mavericks, because of the defensive/shot-blocking abilities of players like Stoudamire and Marion.

I don't think, however, that he will be able to make the Suns an elite team.

vinnieponte
10-20-2004, 02:47 PM
i miss nash

seal614
10-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Vinnie are you showing emotion? You're supposed to say:

"NASH SUCKED, WE NEVER NEEDED HIM ANYHOW"
"TO HELL W/NASH, HE COULDN'T PLAY D... NOT WORTH A DIME"

etc...

- Brian

dirk2003
10-20-2004, 06:35 PM
holy shit! 11 assists......

vinnieponte
10-20-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by: seal614
Vinnie are you showing emotion? You're supposed to say:

"NASH SUCKED, WE NEVER NEEDED HIM ANYHOW"
"TO HELL W/NASH, HE COULDN'T PLAY D... NOT WORTH A DIME"

etc...

- Brian

I'm mad nash left but no way could I say he sucked cause thats about as true as bradley being a decent center!

Drbio
10-20-2004, 08:38 PM
wooooosh!

right over his head. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Male30Dan
10-20-2004, 10:06 PM
I am going to go out on a limb and say what most of us are thinking...

$%#$%#$ NASH!!!

MavsFanFinley
10-21-2004, 12:47 AM
No hard feelings? Nash turns the page
Guard shakes off criticism, says hardest part was leaving friends

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

Steve Nash spent the night in the hospital.

It wasn't because his body broke down, one of the fears behind the Mavericks' decision to let him go and an accusation that rankles Nash. It was to be with his girlfriend and twin daughters, who remain in intensive care because they were born five weeks premature.

A new father. A new team. Nash has too much on his plate to dwell on how his days in Dallas came to an end. He embraces the opportunity to return to Phoenix, where his NBA career began, and build the sort of success he helped build in Dallas.

Accepting the Suns' $65.6 million contract was a sound business decision. Still, you don't spend six years with a group of people you consider family and move on without feeling conflicted. Nash made an emotional investment in the Mavericks and was disappointed it didn't work out for him to finish his career with the franchise.

"I'm not sure what the real reasons were," Nash said. "The apparent ones I don't believe, the ones that have been floated around.

"But it's fine. It's done. It's too bad it's done, but it's done."

Durability and defensive deficiencies are two of the reasons that have been floated. Owner Mark Cuban wrote on his blog after Nash left that the point guard's kamikaze spirit was his greatest strength and weakness. He cited concerns about Nash's durability in not matching the Suns' offer.

Mavericks coach Don Nelson said on the opening day of training camp that as much as he loves Steve Nash, he was going to have to watch his minutes if Nash stayed and keep from exposing him on defense.

Have any of the comments upset Nash?

"Only the lies," Nash said. "I understand it's a business. Those things don't hurt me. The lies don't hurt me. It bothers you that people would deal with things that way. But the only thing that hurt me was leaving my buddies.

"I'm not one who believes in regret or crying about it or worrying about it. It's really in the past. I have moments when it's tough to talk to those guys on the phone and not be there. But overall, I'm an extremely happy guy."

Nash understands this is a business. He would take no joy watching his former team struggle or fail. In fact, he believes they will be pretty good.

"Not just to say it, not just to be a sportsman, but I think they're going to be really good," Nash said. "They have a lot of talent. It's going to take time, but they have too many good players. And Nellie knows a thing or two about the game."

Nash and Cuban haven't spoken since the first week in July. When asked if he intends to talk to Cuban before or during his return to American Airlines Center for the first time on Nov. 16, Nash said he didn't know.

Is Nash looking forward to that game?

"In some ways yes, in some ways, no," Nash said. "It's always difficult going back and seeing everybody. That's never an easy thing. But it will be good to see some familiar faces.

"It's hard to visit a place that was home for a long time and felt it was a place that was going to be home for the rest of my career."

MavsFanFinley
10-21-2004, 12:51 AM
Nash's line tonight:

23 min, 4-5, 0-1, 1-1, 9pts, 2rbs, 3as, 4tos

sike
10-21-2004, 11:12 AM
more turnonvers than dimes.....

madape
10-21-2004, 11:48 AM
What "sucks" is that the Mavs will now have to lose to... I mean PLAY Nash and the Suns four times a year.

grndmstr_c
10-21-2004, 11:54 AM
Two Steve articles in two days? When did David Moore become Nash's personal blurbologist?

sike
10-21-2004, 12:25 PM
When did David Moore become Nash's personal blurbologist?
...years after he decided he would spare everyone to death with insipid writing.

Drbio
10-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Ahem.

Nash.can.suck.it.

Thank you.

jayC
10-22-2004, 12:22 PM
I love nash, but its only the preseason and he is 30.

Usually Lurkin
10-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by: jayC
I love nash, but its only the preseason and he is 30.

yeah. when he has 11 assists in a second round playoff game, I'll say "crap. I wish we'd kept him"
but when he has 3 assts and 4 turnovers in a playoff game, I'll say "I told you he was getting too old"

Until then, I'll save my knee jerking for deciding whether or not Damp will help or hurt.
I figure about mid-season I'll try to figure out whether fin sux because he's to old/clumsy to take it to the hole.