PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Jackson drops 29 on the Twolves

Evilmav2
10-20-2004, 08:01 AM
Stephen Jackson says: "Call me by my name. Call me Unstoppable!"

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041020/capt.naf10510200251.timberwolves_pacers_naf105.jpg
Stephen Jackson scores 29 points for Pacers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen Jackson continued a strong pre-season, scoring 29 points to lead the Indiana Pacers to a 93-92 victory Tuesday night over the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Jackson, acquired from Atlanta in the off-season for Al Harrington, scored 17 of his points in the second half and made 11 of 18 shots. He's given the Pacers just what they needed. In three games this pre-season, Jackson is averaging 25 points and has come up with big shots down the stretch. It was no different Tuesday night.

When the Timberwolves whittled a 19-point Indiana lead to six in the third quarter, Jackson converted a three-point play and knocked down two three-pointers in less than a minute to push the lead to 68-57.

And after the Timberwolves took a 71-70 lead in the fourth, Jackson hit a jumper and two free throws, and set up a layup on a nifty pass in the lane to Randy Holcomb to give the Pacers some breathing room.

Reigning MVP Kevin Garnett had 16 points and 12 rebounds for Minnesota, which played without Latrell Sprewell for the second game in a row. Sprewell did not dress because of a sprained left ankle.

Pacers centre Scot Pollard looked sharp starting in place of injured Jeff Foster, scoring seven points and grabbing 11 rebounds.

Pollard, much maligned in his first season with Indiana after coming over from Sacramento in a trade for all-star centre Brad Miller, was back to his old scrappy self against Minnesota.

With Foster on the bench with an injured right hip, Pollard got the Pacers off to a fast start with four points and eight rebounds in the first quarter. He also tipped in a rebound at the buzzer and added two blocks and a steal.

Fred Hoiberg scored 20 points for Minnesota after missing the previous two games with a sore left knee, and Sam Cassell added 16 points and five assists.

Minnesota played well in the second half, but couldn't overcome 22 turnovers which led to 28 Indiana points.

Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal had a rough night, scoring two points on 1-of-9 shooting before leaving in the third quarter with a sore back.

Link (http://www.broadbandnewsnet.com/new...r.asp?a=913&z=5)

4cwebb
10-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Jackson certainly addresses one of the glaring weaknesses of the Pacers of last year, a.k.a. Reggie Miller starting at the SG. Reggie should be a pretty solid player coming off the bench, and Jackson's offense should complement well with JO'Neal's game. Of course, Tinsley is still a question mark, and Artest is Artest.

TripleDipping
10-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by: 4cwebb
Jackson certainly addresses one of the glaring weaknesses of the Pacers of last year, a.k.a. Reggie Miller starting at the SG. Reggie should be a pretty solid player coming off the bench, and Jackson's offense should complement well with JO'Neal's game. Of course, Tinsley is still a question mark, and Artest is Artest.

Rick Carlise stated before that Miller's starting... unless he changes his mind the Pacers will have another pouter who cries for more playing time.

dirno2000
10-20-2004, 11:33 AM
The Spurs wouldn't admit it, but they'd be a better team with Stephen Jackson. I'm glad he's in the East.

sike
10-20-2004, 12:27 PM
I'll admit it for them...the Spurs would have been better if they had kept Jackson.

dirk2003
10-20-2004, 06:36 PM
possibly one of the most underrated players along with bibby

Nash13
10-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Not saying he's better, but i would've rather had him over anybody we traded for last season.

Evilmav2
10-20-2004, 11:33 PM
Stephen Jackson is going to busting threes on folk's heads all year long. I'm a huge Pacers fan (second to none but my Mavs), and I think the addition of SJax's ABA-style game is just what the doctor ordered, for Jermaine & co to be able to put those stupid Pistons back in their place this year...

Male30Dan
10-20-2004, 11:35 PM
I think they still need either a PG or a C to be true contenders!!!

Both would really put them over the top!!!

Evilmav2
10-20-2004, 11:46 PM
As far as a PG for the Pacers is concerned, I still think it's a shame our Mavs didn't pull the trigger on that Steve Cash for Brad Miller trade, two Summers back (as reported by the Indianapolis Star). We would have picked up an all-star caliber center with a mid-range jumper that would have allowed him to thrive playing next to Dirk in a Nelson offense, and my Pacers would have aquired the kind of smart, passing point guard who could have really gotten the offense of the talented, deep, young Pacers humming.

I would have been against the move at the time, but who knew Stevie was going to cut and run for the cash this Summer. Now the Pacers are stuck with the decrepid Tinsley/Carter duo at the point, and we got left holding a big bag of nothing for Nash.

And as far as the Pacer's center position is concerned... Don't sleep on David Harrison. If his body holds up, I think he'll end up looking like one of the biggest steals in this year's draft. The dude is skilled, athletic, and very, very strong, and I wouldn't end up being at all surprised if he ends up becoming a real anchor for the Pacers down low by the end of this year. He just needs to stay healthy...

Male30Dan
10-21-2004, 12:00 AM
Again, they still need either a PG or a C to be true contenders!!!

EricaLubarsky
10-21-2004, 03:56 PM
I saw the Jackson/Harrington trade as horizontal trade, but the more I think about it, Jackson in Indiana scares the crap out of me. If Detroit doesnt get back to the next level (like they were in the playoffs), then Indiana certainly is right there.