PDA

View Full Version : The next Allen Iverson?

Murphy3
10-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Nuggets' Anthony cited for marijuana possession, says it wasn't his

By JOHN MARSHALL, AP Sports Writer
October 21, 2004
DENVER (AP) -- Carmelo Anthony was cited for marijuana possession before getting on a team flight last week, but the Denver Nuggets' star says the drug was left in his backpack by a friend.

Anthony was issued a summons last Friday at Denver International Airport; he flew with his teammates to Milwaukee for the next day's preseason game but didn't play.

Anthony's attorney, Daniel Recht, said the marijuana was left in the bag by an out-of-town friend who borrowed the backpack last week.

``The friend obviously uses marijuana and left a small amount in the backpack when he returned it to Carmelo,'' Recht said Thursday. ``Carmelo had no idea there was any marijuana in the backpack.''

Anthony was charged with possessing less than 1 ounce of marijuana, a petty offense with a maximum $100 fine and no jail time. He was in Los Angeles for a preseason game Thursday against the Clippers and not immediately available for comment.

Recht said he met with a city attorney and requested the citation be dismissed. He also said the friend acknowledged the marijuana was his and would come forward to accept responsibility.

Recht also said he received a letter from Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe verifying Anthony passed four random drug tests last season and another two weeks ago. The letter also said tests from U.S. Olympic Committee at the Athens Games this summer came back negative.

The charismatic Anthony led Syracuse to an NCAA title as a freshman in 2003, then was the third overall pick in the NBA draft. He helped the Nuggets to one of the biggest turnarounds in NBA history, from the league's worst record at 17-65 to reaching the playoffs for the first time since 1995.

There also have been some growing pains.

Anthony refused to go back into a game last season after his teammates complained about his shot selection and he was relegated to the bench at the Olympics after U.S. coach Larry Brown called him a selfish player.

Anthony also was involved in a scuffle at a New York bar in September.

Updated on Thursday

Drbio
10-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Carmelo is making it hard to be a Nuggets fan. i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

mary
10-21-2004, 01:25 PM
``The friend obviously uses marijuana and left a small amount in the backpack when he returned it to Carmelo,'' Recht said Thursday. ``Carmelo had no idea there was any marijuana in the backpack.''

From what I've seen on "Cops", this type of thing is very common. When are we going to stop persecuting the innocent friends of drug users? Where's the outrage?

i/expressions/moon.gif

Male30Dan
10-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by: mary

From what I've seen on "Cops", this type of thing is very common. When are we going to stop persecuting the innocent friends of drug users? Where's the outrage?

i/expressions/moon.gif

Hilarious!!!

EricaLubarsky
10-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Carmello is and always will be a loser. He's the biggest let-down for me. I really liked him coming out of college, and I predicted that he would be better than LeBron. Now I am really sad that I thought so highly of him. He'll just be another Antoine Walker, with the drug-induced mediocrity of D. Stoudamire

Chiwas
10-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Edit.

Caliente
10-21-2004, 03:20 PM
http://www.cinemamontreal.com/images/dvd/743-1-judge_dredd.jpg

EricaLubarsky
10-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Funny, Caliente is guilty of it too. I guess we all enjoy our hypocricy.

Also, I wasn't the one that first came up with comparing Anthony to Walker, but I do agree with it. I haven't seen anything from him since he got to college that makes me think that he will be a star. He'd be a great role-player but he never got his chance to be one- he came in as a star even though he's not star-caliber.

As for the Caliente's desperate attempt to contribute nothing, I hardly think that I'm the judge, jury and executioner. The fact that he disrepects the olympic spirit, that he disrespects his coach, that he disrespects Team America, that he disrepects the laws of the USA (drug laws), thinking that he is above them has already become obvious. Call me the Executioner, but I certainly wasn't the judge and jury.

edit: for stats

Walker's rookie season
17.5ppg (42.5% fg, 32.7% 3PT, 63.1% ft) 9rpg, 3.2apg, 2.8TOpg in 36.2mpg
Carmello's rookie season
21.0ppg (42.6% fg, 32.2% 3pt, 77.7% ft) 6.1rpg, 2.8apg, 3.0TOpg in 36.5mpg

sike
10-21-2004, 03:36 PM
the jury is still out on Anthony is still so young...one thing is probably true: Hes no LaBron James.

EricaLubarsky
10-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by: sike
the jury is still out on Anthony is still so young...one thing is probably true: Hes no LaBron James.

The funny thing is that I didnt like LeBron and I was very skeptical about him, and now I love him. He's shown that he's a team player and that he understands the kind of stage that the NBA is.

I guess time brings out the truth...

Chiwas
10-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Edit.

EricaLubarsky
10-21-2004, 03:46 PM
edit: off topic.

It's sad when players have worked so hard to get onto the NBA stage fail to realize that they are there and that they are rolemodels. It's even sadder when our society and the NBA fails to bring real justice to the rich and famous.

dirt_dobber
10-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Lighten up "Francis" (Chiwas). Why so harsh?

EL contributes allot of great posts here.

Take your man love for Najera to a Golden State message board.

Chiwas
10-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Edit.

Murphy3
10-21-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by: Chiwas

Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

Your posts are very ridiculous and futile, Erica. I'd dare to say that 99% of them.

I think many of us wanted to say it long time ago.

thank you. So can we be honest now?

Can I talk about your Najera Man-love? Your opinion without evidence? Your masochism?This reply is the evidence. Do yourself a favor; honestly.

Chiwas...Erica...please, calm down. The two of you are two of the most exceptional posters on this site. I enjoy reading each of your thoughts. I truly hope that the two of you can get along because I cannot imagine the site without either of you.

u2sarajevo
10-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Everyone, stick to the topic. Personal attacks has nothing to do with the thread topic. So stop it.

sike
10-21-2004, 04:24 PM
I think the losing and injuries has everyone in a catty mood...except murph, who seems to be at an all time "love-fest" high

Chiwas
10-21-2004, 05:41 PM
...and the foreign monkey, with its "it's-my-business" low.

dirno2000
10-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Carmello will be a 25+ ppg scorer and his team will win.

MavKikiNYC
10-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Carmelo gets in a fight over hoochie. (http://www.dallas-mavs.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=19444&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=)

Smiles
10-21-2004, 08:21 PM
how very disappointing. I kept hoping to focus on the good things about Anthony.

i also just realized that I have been defending the wrong poster all of this time. if you're going to dish out insults, i guess we all have to expect they'll be given right back to you.

Male30Dan
10-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by: Murphy3

Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

Your posts are very ridiculous and futile, Erica. I'd dare to say that 99% of them.

I think many of us wanted to say it long time ago.

thank you. So can we be honest now?

Can I talk about your Najera Man-love? Your opinion without evidence? Your masochism?This reply is the evidence. Do yourself a favor; honestly.

Chiwas...Erica...please, calm down. The two of you are two of the most exceptional posters on this site. I enjoy reading each of your thoughts. I truly hope that the two of you can get along because I cannot imagine the site without either of you.

Sarcasm is your specialty eh???

sike
10-22-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Carmello will be a 25+ ppg scorer and his team will win.
Or......he'll be a younger Glenn "BigDog" Robinson.

jayC
10-22-2004, 12:08 PM
I was going to say the next Glenn Robinson hot shot pick out of college, a selfish baller, and a druggy.

endtroducing
10-22-2004, 12:25 PM
marijuana's a legal substance in the NBA...getting caught with it in public is a different story, but really, the league doesn't outlaw it, so what do you expect?

dirno2000
10-22-2004, 12:35 PM
You gus do realize that from Feb. on, when Denver was fighting Utah and Portland for playoff position, Carmello averaged 25 ppg on 45% shooting.

-He led his team to a national championshp in high school
-He led his team to a national championship as a freshman in college
-He led his team to the playoffs as a rookie

You may not like him personally, but he's no loser.

seal614
10-22-2004, 12:41 PM
dirno, he got caught with drugs...

everything he has ever accomplished is nullified... didn't you know that? sheesh.

- Brian

mary
10-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by: endtroducing
marijuana's a legal substance in the NBA...getting caught with it in public is a different story, but really, the league doesn't outlaw it, so what do you expect?

Um, no marijuana is not a legal substance in the NBA - they've been testing for it for about five years now. But you do have a point about expectations. As long as someone can dunk, shoot, pass the ball, and sell alot of jerseys, I don't know why we expect them to follow the same rules as the rest of us. Its unreasonable.

Male30Dan
10-22-2004, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by: endtroducing

Um, no marijuana is not a legal substance in the NBA - they've been testing for it for about five years now. But you do have a point about expectations. As long as someone can dunk, shoot, pass the ball, and sell alot of jerseys, I don't know why we expect them to follow the same rules as the rest of us. Its unreasonable.

You forgot your i/expressions/moon.gif this time!!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

FreshJive
10-22-2004, 03:24 PM
I'm just glad that no one associated with the Mavs hangs out with evil pot smokers.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002I75.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
i/expressions/moon.gif

MavKikiNYC
10-22-2004, 04:13 PM
John Drew. John Lucas. Bernard King. Phil Ford. Len Bias. Roy Tarpley. Chris Washburn. David Thompson. Michael Ray Richardson.

Just a few of the many whose careers were diminished and/or cut short by use of illegal substances.

More to come?

Dirkenstien
10-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Not a very good impression one makes to future basketball players when one goes to college for a year but still manages to look less professional than those coming out of highschool.

Big Boy Laroux
10-22-2004, 05:56 PM
i have to say that "it was my friend's" is the most overused excuse in history.

sike
10-22-2004, 05:58 PM
right after "the butler did it".

EricaLubarsky
10-22-2004, 07:09 PM
or "bad dog!"

Phil Helmuth
10-23-2004, 12:16 AM
less than an ounce of pot? After the world series of poker in 89' when I won it all, I was snorting coke off of strippers tit's like it was candy. hahah Marijuana? A serious offense! You have to be kidding, oh how the times have changed.

sike
10-23-2004, 12:20 AM
strange....

Fah Q
10-23-2004, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by: Phil Helmuth
less than an ounce of pot? After the world series of poker in 89' when I won it all, I was snorting coke off of strippers tit's like it was candy. hahah Marijuana? A serious offense! You have to be kidding, oh how the times have changed.

you have got to be the biggest idiot on this site.

and that's saying a lot.

twelli
10-23-2004, 05:19 AM
Carmello bitching about playing time at the Olympics was far more disappointing than him getting caught with Marijohanna

the first shows that he has no respect for his teammates

the second just shows that he's stupid or careless

MavKikiNYC
10-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Apropos of nothing, but did Eddie Griffin just get the same number of games suspension for firing a gun at someone that SheWebb got for lying to a grand jury?

Murphy3
10-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by: Fah Q

you have got to be the biggest idiot on this site.

and that's saying a lot.

Phil Helmuth is genius.

sike
10-23-2004, 11:42 AM
overstatement of incredible proportions

chumdawg
10-23-2004, 04:00 PM
I'm tired of hearing about these guys' personal lives. I couldn't care less if the guy smokes a big fat one for breakfast every morning. I just want to see the guy play.

mary
10-23-2004, 06:13 PM
All joking aside, I'm not sure how believable Anthony's story is, since the article does not really tell us how much pot was in the back pack. Its says "less than an ounce" but that could be quite a bit depending on how much less we're talking about here. If it was something like 1/2 oz, then I find it hard to believe that a) a pot smoker would be so careless with his stash and b) Anthony did not notice the pot - either by seeing it or smelling it. If the marijuana was being kept inside the backpack, then the pack should've had a rather suspicious smell to it. I guess it depends on what type of container it was being kept in and what part of the backpack it was found. Regardless, its not like pot is just something that blends in perfectly with your Colgate and copy of "War and Peace".

Do I care about Anthony's personal life or whether he smokes pot? No, not particularly. But I do get rather peeved when I see people all too often using their socio-economic position in life to skirt the law and get "free-passes" (mainly because I'm pissed off that I'm not one of them). In this particular case, possessing pot seems rather innocuous, but athletes have certainly used their fame to evade much more serious charges ala O.J. Simpson. Its not entirely their fault, as our society seems to put a higher value on our right to be entertained, than on such mundane matters as good citzenship and respect for the law. Indeed, most just "want to see the guy play".

mary
10-23-2004, 06:15 PM
Phil, have you thought of changing your name to "Annie Duke's Bitch"? Just curious. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

chumdawg
10-23-2004, 07:01 PM
I take your point, Mary. But in this case, we ARE talking about a mundane matter. Possession under two ounces is a tiny offense. People get cited for that all the time. But if they aren't pro athletes, it doesn't end up in the newspaper. Their employer probably doesn't find out.

The double standard cuts both ways.

StvNash13
10-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Phil, have you thought of changing your name to "Annie Duke's Bitch"? Just curious. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Best post I've read in a very long time. She did get very lucky though.

poohrichardson
10-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by: StvNash13

Best post I've read in a very long time. She did get very lucky though.

It didn't look like luck to me.. not to be argumentative. The hand where she had two pair (K9) to Helmuth's pair (K) and she only showed the 9 sealed the deal for her. Helmuth might as well have been spinning around in circles while he was playing becuase she completely stupified him there.

Phil Helmuth
10-24-2004, 04:39 PM
We already discussed Annie's victory in another thread, no reason to open old wounds. I'LL BE BACK!!!

The Crippler
10-24-2004, 06:35 PM
this turned into a truely great thread...

Drbio
10-28-2004, 05:55 PM

Honestly...do you think before you post? Even briefly?