PDA

View Full Version : Houston extends McGrady


dirno2000
11-01-2004, 09:26 PM
HOUSTON -- The Houston Rockets have signed two-time NBA scoring champion Tracy McGrady to a multi-year contract extension.

McGrady, who has three years and $47.1 million left on his current deal, has been extended for an additional four years that are worth $85.7 million, ESPN Insider Chad Ford reports. McGrady will make $14.4 million this season; his salary in the last year of his contract, the 2010-11 season, is $24.1 million.

Before he was traded to the Rockets in June from Orlando, McGrady had vowed to exercise the opt-out clause in his contract, which had three years remaining. The clause was to go into effect at the end of this coming season.

"I'm pretty happy about that. It's one thing I can get off my mind," McGrady told Houston television station KRIV.

Rockets owner Les Alexander said in a news release that team officials now would set their efforts on All-Star center Yao Ming.

"We hope to sign him to a long-term contract as soon as allowable,'' he said.

Besides McGrady, the blockbuster trade in June also sent Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines to Houston. Orlando in return got Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato.

rakesh.s
11-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
HOUSTON -- The Houston Rockets have signed two-time NBA scoring champion Tracy McGrady to a multi-year contract extension.

McGrady, who has three years and $47.1 million left on his current deal, has been extended for an additional four years that are worth $85.7 million, ESPN Insider Chad Ford reports. McGrady will make $14.4 million this season; his salary in the last year of his contract, the 2010-11 season, is $24.1 million.

Before he was traded to the Rockets in June from Orlando, McGrady had vowed to exercise the opt-out clause in his contract, which had three years remaining. The clause was to go into effect at the end of this coming season.

"I'm pretty happy about that. It's one thing I can get off my mind," McGrady told Houston television station KRIV.

Rockets owner Les Alexander said in a news release that team officials now would set their efforts on All-Star center Yao Ming.

"We hope to sign him to a long-term contract as soon as allowable,'' he said.

Besides McGrady, the blockbuster trade in June also sent Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines to Houston. Orlando in return got Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato.

AP was reporting 3 years 63 mill..but bleh..85 mill over 4 years is a lot for a shooting guard

MavsFanFinley
11-02-2004, 12:26 AM
The Blazers and Randolph agreed to an extention as have the Warriors with Murphy and Richardson.

OzMavs
11-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Is it just me or will the Rockets suck this season? TMac and Yao will get theirs, but there is not too much depth behind them 2.

cheesestar
11-02-2004, 10:11 PM
rockets lost to the pistons tonight...yao and tmac didnt look that good

Nash13
11-02-2004, 11:46 PM
OzMavs, Yao better not get his, he's on my fantasy league team. But i see a shaded future for Houston. They will be battling LA and Sac for those last seeds.

Dirkenstien
11-02-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm also not very sure Houston will be all that good this season..personally I think he may have been better off staying with Orlando. It'll be interesting to see how the two teams do

Steve13
11-03-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by: OzMavs
Is it just me or will the Rockets suck this season? TMac and Yao will get theirs, but there is not too much depth behind them 2.

Jim Jackson, Howard, Taylor are good players..and charlie ward can hit open shots. Bob sura will certainly help them when he returns. Houston didn't look great last night but who does against Detroit? they stayed close till the 4th even when their best two players couldn't do anything...I expect them top get a top 5 seed. They need time to gel as a team.

4cwebb
11-03-2004, 09:17 AM
As the Pistons proved against the Lakers in the finals, if any team knows how to stop a good big man and a dominant SG/SF, it's the Pistons. And, Yao is no Shaq.

dirno2000
11-03-2004, 09:49 AM
In my mind, the most significant stat from last nights game was zero assists for Yao. He may be the best passing big in the game and for him to go through a game with no assists may be an early indicator that the offense/his teammates don't compliment him.

4cwebb
11-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
In my mind, the most significant stat from last nights game was zero assists for Yao. He may be the best passing big in the game and for him to go through a game with no assists may be an early indicator that the offense/his teammates don't compliment him.

I can't fault Houston for shipping out Franchise and friends for TMac and his crew, but for Houston not to get a decent PG in free agency was almost criminal. I'd imagine the growing pains Houston will go through in setting up its offense early in the season will take its toll on Yao's assist numbers, not to mention TMac having to learn how to play the NBA game for the first time in his life with an actual back-to-the-basket postman...how many times do you think TMac has had to make (or even had the opportunity to make) a dive cut in his NBA tenure prior to this year? My guess is roughly zero.

EricaLubarsky
11-05-2004, 10:29 AM
He {Yao} may be the best passing big in the game

Overstatement of the year. I can think of about 10 big men that are better.