PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson, Lebron James - speculation running wild on The Dan Patrick Show

rakesh.s
03-30-2005, 02:27 PM
According to Jeannie Buss, Phil will be coaching in New York next year.

In 2 years, Lebron will sign with the Knicks and Phil will once again coach "The Man". This part was speculated by Dan Patrick.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Lebron going to be a RESTRICTED free agent once his rookie contract is up? Obviously, the Cavs are going to pick up the team option for the 4th year.

If he is restricted, can't the cavs match any offer he receives and then pretty much make him play in Cleveland? Remember, David Stern wants to avoid Jim Jackson/Mourning situations and will ensure that there is some clause about that in the new CBA.

The same thing goes for Yao Ming..All the prognosticators keep saying that LA will make a run for him when his deal is up. Houston will just match the offer and keep him in Houston won't they?

endtroducing
03-30-2005, 02:30 PM
yeah, but the truth's not interesting.

V2M
03-30-2005, 02:50 PM
It makes a lot of sense for PJ, Lebron, Knicks, NBA and of course, Nike. The only loser might be the Cavs and I'm not sure if they could do much to keep Lebron if he really wants to leave.

Speaking of restricted free-agency, remember how some teams have frontloaded the deals to inhibit their previous teams from matching 'em. A couple that come to my mind are, Nuggets signing K-Mart, this year, and Miami signing Odom, last year.

Saying that, I still doubt if Lebron would leave Cleveland as he's a local lad and has his family & friends in Cleveland. But with Nike's backing, he may do it. Who knows?!

capitalcity
03-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by: endtroducing
yeah, but the truth's not interesting.... and this folks is the reason Al Gore invented the Internet.

Dooby
03-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Going into 2007-08 season (Which is when LaBron is a RFA), they have over $43M in salaries. The next season, they have over $30M committed when LeBron is totally free. Can they clear room to make a run? Sure. Will they? I doubt it. They at over $104M in salaries now. They are talking of adding Damon Stadomire. What makes anyone think they are willing to make moves to clear cap space for the future?

I guarantee you they try and trade Tim Thomas and Penny Hardaway before next season's trade deadline and *poof* there goes the future cap space.

And if LeBron took a MLE deal 2008 to play for the Knicks and Nike bumped their deal to make up the difference without David Stern doing a thing to stop it, I think I will quit following the NBA forever.

kg_veteran
03-30-2005, 05:30 PM
LeBron is a franchise player. I personally hope that he remains a Cavalier for life.

Drbio
03-30-2005, 05:39 PM
I cannot imagine a scenario where Lebron leaves Cleveland.....at least not until he has left his mark on the NBA and his skills were on the decline many many years from now.

FilthyFinMavs
03-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Why wouldn't Phil just coach the Cavs? Atleast they have a solid center, Lebron and a 2nd option if the Cavs sign Mike Redd or another potential 2nd option to Lebron.

cheesestar
03-30-2005, 06:31 PM
personally, i wouldn't be surpirsed to see lebron plateau from here to the rest of his career. if he does continue to improve i thnk that will be a step toward's MJ's direction. imo, improving on 26,7,7 is gonna be extremely difficult. i thnk he'll increase scoring some during the next couple seasons. another factor of course, is winning a championship. if he continues to develop and the cavs stay the same talent wise i dont thnk lebron will ever win one because of how much more team oriented the game is.

MFFL41
03-30-2005, 06:42 PM
I've been saying this the year he was drafted. It's Stern's plan for LA vs. NY in the future. Stern could care less about the other teams in the league. Stern absolutely wishes wants and will have this happen.

rakesh.s
03-30-2005, 11:15 PM
NY is not going to win anything in the foreseeable future, not with the contracts of both thomas', crawford, marbury, houston, taylor and rose.

Oh damn, I think i just named their whole team.

Isiah Thomas is the WORST GM in the league...I cannot believe the Dolans are letting him spend their cash on utter trash. Just when you thought they were going to be OKAY(penny's contract expires this year), he goes and adds mo taylor, malik rose and jamal crawford..Three totally unnecessary players

And they gave up the only big man that they had(mohammed).

Crawford has already been torn a new one by the media in NY...no more one on one dribbling and 25 shots/night from him....If you look at his shot totals, they are barely hitting 15 of late.

I agree about it being tough to improve upon 26,7,7 but the Big O said that if anyone could average a triple double, it'd be Lebron. I bet you that if you gave him a finisher like Shawn Marion or Amare Stoudemire, he'd be averaging 10 ast/game - easily.

FFM - I don't think Phil will coach in Cleveland, not after living in LA for all those years. I personally think adding a Michael Redd or <insert shooting guard here> still won't put them over the top. It will address a need, but they aren't going to be contenders or anything. They need an athletic big man that can run with Lebron, not a mechanical plodding center like ilgauskas.

Poindexter Einstein
03-31-2005, 04:03 AM
Predictions ....

Yao....will stay in Houston. I have seen him quoted in interviews as saying he would like to stay there when his contract runs out. Hou will offer the max, he will sign, case closed.

Lebron ... since he is a local boy, Cleve makes sense as his first choice, but who knows? But - the Knicks dont have cap room, wont have cap room, and that takes care of that idea. Most likely the Cavs offer him a max extension, before he ever becomes a free agent, and just like Dirk he is with the team that drafted him for the first 9-10 years of his career. And once you have built a home for that long, if the money and the oportunity is the same, who wants to leave?

I think if LA and NY want to get better, they will have to find another solution besides these.

Edit ----- OOPS. I forgot about the new CBA, which might have shorter contract limits. But if the general rules stay the same, which allows a team to pick up a 4th year option and then sign a max-length extension in October right before the 4th year starts, I would expect that to happen with both of these players, for whatever the longest deal allowable is.

That means this fall Yao signs a new deal (extension), and LeBron signs one the following fall, and neither ever actually hits the free agent market for quite a few more years, if ever.

rakesh.s
03-31-2005, 09:00 AM
We don't really know Lebron too much..

As has been speculated, he *could* sign with NY for the MLE(assuming the CBA stays the same), and get the rest of his cash from Nike..

However it is more likely that both will be handed max extensions during the course of the season.