PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch the Spurs LA game?

Simon2
04-10-2005, 01:05 AM
LA takes Spurs into 2 OTs. Refs kept giving the ball to the Spurs. Poor Clippers, they get no respect. It was a heart-breaker of a loss for Mavs fans though. Horry with a big three in the end and a big block. What else is new? Manu score over 40 pts. Yikes!

sike
04-10-2005, 01:06 AM
a thread for this?

The Spurs do get too many calls....

capitalcity
04-10-2005, 01:09 AM
Well at least Manu and TP logged over 50 minutes... and I read on the spurs board that Rasho got hurt?

Anyways - the Spurs will be dead tired when they take the court against GS, I don't see how they have enough emotionally or physically get the win.

sike
04-10-2005, 01:09 AM
the Mavs need the Spurs to lose tonight...

capitalcity
04-10-2005, 01:11 AM
Spurs Forum = Comedy.

Those dumbasses are rejoicing at the return of "Big Shot" Rob.

...uh, it's the clippers.

mavs413
04-10-2005, 01:11 AM
I knew the Spurs won when Magette fouled out early in the first overtime, but your right, the Spurs got every call at the end.
I was impressed with Livingston though, he's definately got skills.

dirno2000
04-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Shaun Livingston is the truth! The kid was unbelievable. Brand and Magette fouled out so LA's go to guy was a 19 year old who has played fewer than 25 games this year and the Spurs couldn't do anything with him. They had Manu guarding him...got torched...they switched to Bowen...got torched. Not that he scored every time, but when he didn't he made the right pass. In fact he should have had the game winning assist, but when you’re passing to Mickey Moore instead of Elton Brand, you can't depend on him to finish the play.

He may be the best passer to come into the league since Steve Nash.

dude1394
04-10-2005, 01:17 AM
I checked out the spurs forum as well. They were wondering why the clippers were playing so hard? Huh, like they are owed a win or something. They were talking like it was the 7th game of a playoff series.

Windmill360
04-10-2005, 01:22 AM
Here's a hillarious quote from a spurs fan:

I'm still buzzing from this game... I know its the clipps but it told me soooo much abou this team.

capitalcity
04-10-2005, 01:23 AM
FROM ESPN/AP RECAP... San Antonio C Rasho Nesterovic was helped off the court late in the third quarter with a sprained left ankle and didn't return. He had eight points and two rebounds. There was no immediate word as to the severity of the injury...

With no Rasho and no Duncan the Spurs will definitely lose to Denver in 6 or 7.
Tony Massenberger/Nazr Mohammed/Sean Marks vs. Nene/Camby/Kmart... ouch Spurs fans.

dirno2000
04-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Mohammed isn't even in the rotation...Malik and a #1 for Nazr was bad trade.

Simon2
04-10-2005, 03:02 AM
I hope you are right.

Originally posted by: capitalcity
FROM ESPN/AP RECAP... San Antonio C Rasho Nesterovic was helped off the court late in the third quarter with a sprained left ankle and didn't return. He had eight points and two rebounds. There was no immediate word as to the severity of the injury...

With no Rasho and no Duncan the Spurs will definitely lose to Denver in 6 or 7.
Tony Massenberger/Nazr Mohammed/Sean Marks vs. Nene/Camby/Kmart... ouch Spurs fans.

fin4life
04-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Wow, the season has certainly turned sour for spurs. And the best part is... they are going to have to play either Denver or Houston (both of which can take advantage of their lack of size).

I only with that the spurs would have lost that game, then the mavs would have had a legit chance of overtaking them in the standings

MavKikiNYC
04-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Mohammed isn't even in the rotation...Malik and a #1 for Nazr was bad trade.

Malik would pull out a series without Duncan? Not likely.

If Duncan's down, Spurs are done.

Aside from that, the trade worked in the Spurs' favor based on contract-years-remaining alone. But Muhammad also offered better mix of skills than the 6.5 Rose, and Poppovich appeared to be done with him for other reasons.

Shame about Duncan and Rasho, seriously. Would much prefer to see Mavs at full-strength AND Spurs at full-strength. Would be a great series.

dirno2000
04-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Malik would pull out a series without Duncan? Not likely.

If Duncan's down, Spurs are done.A series, no...regular season games, yes. Malik had the ability to raise his game and put up numbers approaching a double-double when Duncan went out. It's conceivable that the trade could cost them HCA in the WCF against PHX.

Nazr's shorter contract is good for Peter Holt, but it doesn't do much for the fan since they're probably not going to be able to get significantly under the cap when his contract is up anyway.

So they gave up one of their glue guys for a player that has fallen behind Tony Massenberg in the rotation AND a #1. It'll be a late pick, but for a team that drafts as well as the Spurs all first rounders have value.

MavKikiNYC
04-10-2005, 03:59 PM
You're right that Rose could come up big on a one-game basis every now and again. But with Duncan out 8-10 games or whatever it turns out to be, Rose wasn't going to fill the gap, and wasn't going to make the difference in whether the Spurs got HCA or not. Edit: And if you happen to be watching the NYKs v. Pacers game, it might make you wonder if Rose's ability to produce is what it was a couple of years ago--two misses inside 8 ft, inside 2.5 minutes. Even for role players, skills can erode. And for a 6.5 post man, skill erosion is lethal.

But that trade was made with the playoffs in mind, and the 12-15 minutes/game that they could get end up getting form Muhammad in a playoff series is (IMO) more important than the game or two that Rose could contribute in.

Also, and I don't necessarily like this, but the reality is that most trades now are made in two planes--one for oncourt contribution, the other for salary cap motives. Spurs got the advantage on both counts, IMO.

dirno2000
04-10-2005, 04:22 PM
You're right that Rose could come up big on a one-game basis every now and again. But with Duncan out 8-10 games or whatever it turns out to be, Rose wasn't going to fill the gap, and wasn't going to make the difference in whether the Spurs got HCA or not.I say that because SA is one game behind PXH in the loss column so one or two big nights from Rose in one of those road loses could wind up being huge if they meet the Suns in the WCF.

Also, and I don't necessarily like this, but the reality is that most trades now are made in two planes--one for oncourt contribution, the other for salary cap motives. Spurs got the advantage on both counts, IMO.Why do you think they won the basketball side of the trade? The Spurs played 58 minutes last night. Tim Duncan played zero, Rasho got hurt at halftime and Nazr only played 8 minutes...Sean Marks played 13! What makes you think that Pop is going to play him 12-15 minutes in the playoffs? That may have been the original plan, but based on what we've seen I don't see it happening.

And agian, that late first rounder has value to a team like the Spurs that doen't like to spend money because they've shown the ability to find good players and they get them cheap for 4 or 5 years.

EricaLubarsky
04-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Its pretty obvious that both teams lost. I originally thought that New York lost, but it looks like San Antonio lost too. You trade up your backup to Duncan in order to get someone to give you extra depth behind Nesterovic, Duncan AND Nestie go down and Nazr doesnt hardly play? Wow.

endtroducing
04-10-2005, 06:07 PM
isn't Shaun Livingston 6'9? I bet Nellie nearly lost his mind when he saw how big he was...if we had drafted him, we would've seen some weird lineups

HexNBA
04-10-2005, 06:24 PM
He's tall, but not that tall i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif he's 6'7

dirno2000
04-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by: endtroducing
isn't Shaun Livingston 6'9? I bet Nellie nearly lost his mind when he saw how big he was...if we had drafted him, we would've seen some weird lineupsI think we would have taken him if he was there, but he Clips nabbed him one pick ahead. He and Devin are going to have some battles when they figure what they're doing. Looks like he has the makings of a pretty good defender to.

MavKikiNYC
04-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Think Harris is a better fit with the current Mavs' mix.

Livingston looks to take a couple of years to develop.

Saw him in an early-season game v NYKs and came away thinking the Mavericks were very lucky to've gotten Harris.

TVI
04-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Why do you think they won the basketball side of the trade? The Spurs played 58 minutes last night. Tim Duncan played zero, Rasho got hurt at halftime and Nazr only played 8 minutes...Sean Marks played 13! What makes you think that Pop is going to play him 12-15 minutes in the playoffs? That may have been the original plan, but based on what we've seen I don't see it happening.Pop does not like to put his players into a situation where they will not succeed. He has not been in a rush to play Nazr, because he hasn't really needed him, and Nazr has not had time to learn the system. Duncan's absense meant more time for Horry, not Nazr. Horry has been with the Spurs longer, and knows the system.

I think you'll probably see a lot more of Nazr, now that Rasho's on IR. I don't think they planned on playing him a lot this season, but this recent injury might force their hand.

Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Its pretty obvious that both teams lost. I originally thought that New York lost, but it looks like San Antonio lost too. You trade up your backup to Duncan in order to get someone to give you extra depth behind Nesterovic, Duncan AND Nestie go down and Nazr doesnt hardly play? Wow.Pop is a "matchups" coach. I'm guessing he just didn't see many opportunities to give him minutes. Nonetheless, I don't think they intended to give him a lot of floor time this year. The injury to Nesterovich might force them to change that position.

But even after he's had time to adjust, there will be games where Mohammed may not play much. However, I still think the Spurs got the better end of this deal. At very least, the jury's still out.

BTW, he's got 16 pts, 11 boards, and 3 blks in 30 minutes so far tonight.

TVI
04-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by: TVI
BTW, he's got 16 pts, 11 boards, and 3 blks in 30 minutes so far tonight.Nazr's final numbers tonight:
34 min, 15 boards (10 offensive), 3blks, 19 points, 6 fouls...

Intruder
04-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by: Windmill360°
Here's a hillarious quote from a spurs fan:

I'm still buzzing from this game... I know its the clipps but it told me soooo much abou this team.

it is as hilarious as some mav fans calling the Mavs win against the Spurs as a "statement game"

Intruder