PDA

View Full Version : Mickael Pietrus is a future all-star


endtroducing
04-10-2005, 09:49 PM
discuss.

kg_veteran
04-10-2005, 09:54 PM
He definitely has they physical tools and seems to have a lot of ability. I like his game a lot. A bit early to declare him a future All-Star, but he should a good player in the league for many years, barring injury.

dirno2000
04-10-2005, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't bet on it. It's hard to make the All-Star game as a two-guard...especially when Jason Richardson's on your team.

SaltwaterChaffy
04-10-2005, 11:20 PM
He was known as the French MJ before he came to the NBA because of his amazing athleticism. I'm betting he's more likely to make some all-defensive squads. He's a pretty good ballhawk.

DRsock33
04-10-2005, 11:25 PM
NO. He's very athletic, but lacks the fundamentals that you need to be a 2-guard. Not only does he have J-Rich, but Dunleavy too. The only option he has is being traded to a new team. I just don't see him being an all-star; its an elite club. Not every good player in the NBA is in all-star.

FilthyFinMavs
04-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
I wouldn't bet on it. It's hard to make the All-Star game as a two-guard...especially when Jason Richardson's on your team.

Yea that's what I was gonna post. No way is he gonna make a All Star team backing up JR. Though looking at the past 3 years Warriors manage to trade away an all star so JRich may be the next one to leave. They got rid of Jamison so Dunleavy could play his natural position and I don't think they'd think twice doing the same for JRich and Pietrius.

sike
04-11-2005, 12:30 AM
doubt it...too much talent at the spot.

chumdawg
04-11-2005, 04:07 AM
My ass. He makes the All-Star team about ten minutes after the world freezes over.

rakesh.s
04-11-2005, 08:30 AM
not an all star with GS, but could be with another team that needs a starting 2 guard..

He has shut down defensive ability, like artest, and incredible offensive upside..Hell, he's already playing like a 6th MOY candidate.

endtroducing
04-11-2005, 09:02 AM
I didn't say as an all-star with Golden State...but he will be an all star with someone before he retires

Drbio
04-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by: endtroducing
discuss.

Boycott! i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif



j/k...I think the kid has a great skill set, but I'm not sure that he has the ability to overcome those ahead of him to make All Star. Playing for Golden State certainly isn't helping him. He gets no publicity (for fan voting) and he is buried behind a much more talented 2. Even on another squad, he will have to break out severely to escape the gravity of "established" perennial all star players.

Evilmav2
04-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Quite a few Denver fans once thought Tariq Abdul Wahad (the artist formerly known as Olivier St. Jean) would eventually become an all-star as well, and we've seen how well that sharp-shooting, French shooting guard (and current Maverick) has faired in his career. I say the 6 three pointers Mikael hit the other night looked a bit flukey to me, and regardless of whatever supposed defensive prowess some folks might credit Pietrus with displaying, I still think the man is destined to finish his career as just one more worthless, stinking NBA failure plopped on top of an old heaping dung heap consisting of numerous, older, stinking French NBA failures (ala. TAW, Frederick Weis, Jerome Moiso, Johan Petro, Tony Parker, and Antoine Rigadeau)...

chumdawg
04-11-2005, 09:11 PM
As always, love the rant... But, Tony Parker?

Yeah, I'm with you. Tony Parker.

SaltwaterChaffy
04-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Now now, at least let Johan Petro get here and fail before you lump him in with the failures.

bernardos70
04-12-2005, 01:43 AM
Not an all-star any time soon but his game is getting better. He put on a heck of a shooting display against the Spurs. I really like his game. He said he models his game, surprisingly, after Michael Finley's. Please, no jokes about someone aspiring to be a spot up shooter.

Evilmav2
04-12-2005, 07:20 AM
Good points y'all, but I still say that Tony Parker is the most overrated 16 point, 5 assist point guard I've ever seen play in this league (his level of statistical production should rightly land him comparisons with Chucky Atkins and Rafer Alston, but I constantly hear fans and pundits placing him amongst the elite point guards in the league, and I sure as heck would bet that if he didn't play with Duncan he would be nothing but a journeyman or a project whose severely limited ability to play defense and distribute the ball would probably relegate him to the second string on almost any non-lottery team), and based on everything I've seen and read, Mr. Johan Petro might- might- be able to develop into a sevicable, 21st century version of Olden Polynice or Jarrod Collins.

To restate, I say again, that if fellows like Parker, Pietrus, Wahad, Frederick Weis, and Boris Diaw Riford are the best that the proud nation of France has to offer to the NBA, then France and the caliber of player that the Le Grande République Française produces are nothing but a pile of stinking, fetid dung.

http://img185.echo.cx/img185/7906/pileoffrenchmen22rj.gif

EricaLubarsky
04-13-2005, 02:08 AM
Tony Parker is pretty good-- the best of the bunch. If there is a French allstar anytime soon, it'll be Parker or someone yet drafted.

yeah....

Evilmav2
04-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Tony Parker is pretty good-- the best of the bunch. If there is a French allstar anytime soon, it'll be Parker or someone yet drafted.

yeah....

Is a 16 point, 6 assist average usually enough to land a point guard in the all-star game (in a whopping 35 mpg)? Especially when the guy shoots .647% from the free throw line, averages close to 3 turnovers per game, and is a much less than capable defender? I say Tony Parker is horribly overrated, and his talent and ability to impact the game more closely approximates that of bottom feeders like Jeff McInnis, Rafer Alston, or Chucky Atkins than that possessed by truly elite point guards such as Jason Kidd, Baron Davis, or Steve Nash...

EricaLubarsky
04-13-2005, 09:57 AM
that was my point, really. Parker is the best of the French invasion and he's not really an allstar.

Evilmav2
04-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
that was my point, really. Parker is the best of the French invasion and he's not really an allstar.

I see. Well, at least fans of French basketball can still hold out high hope for the next great French hope, Johan Petro, as he comes barrelling down the pipe (and perhaps smoking it, too)...

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/largepics/petro.jpg
NBADraftNet Johan Petro Weaknesses:

Still has slow foot work, not helped with lazy attitudes at times. Shot is not developed and doesn’t even look for the ball yet. Doesn’t move well on offense and could get a lot more done especially offensive rebounding. Has to play harder. Defense is limited right now in having a great body to deny shots or change their way. Could be but is not a shot blocker, and doesn’t move feet quick enough to guard smaller post players. Reaction is still slow.

dn0774
04-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Whether or not Parker will be an all star eventually is debateable, but to mention him with the likes of Chucky Atkins is a crime. Tonys numbers (17ppg and 6 apg) are very solid and despite his low ft% he more than makes up for it with his fg% (funny you didn't mention that). A "whopping" 35 mpg??? Thats pretty average starters minutes son, look into it. Much less than a capable defender??? Tell that to Allen Iverson who shot 14-41 against Parker this year.

Tony is not on the same level as Nash (this season anyway), Kidd, or Davis, I admit that. That being said, Tony proved he can go toe to toe with anyone the other night with his 35 point, 12 assist game against Baron. Oh yeah, and Tony is only 22. Thats less than a year older than Devin Harris. I think Steve Nash proved this year what kind of improvement can be made later in ones career, Tony will continue to improve as well.

Evilmav2
04-13-2005, 09:52 PM
This year Chucky Atkins has averaged 13.6 ppg, 4.5 apg, 2.4 rpg, .90 spg, and shot .804 from the free throw line, while playing 35.4 minutes per game.

This year Tony Parker has averaged 16.8 ppg, 5.3 apg, 3.0 rpg, 1.02 spg, and shot .650 from the free throw line, while averaging 34.4 minutes per game.

Is Tony Parker a better player than Chucky Atkins? Quite possibly, yes...

Is Tony Parker so much better than Chucky that to, "mention him with the likes of Chucky Atkins is a crime"? To this I say an emphatic No, and I would further state that I believe that if poor, maligned Chucky, or any number of other similarly skilled point guards (Mike James, Jeff McInnis, Rafer Alston, etc... ), found themselves lucky enough to play with a truly efficient, dominant pivot like Tim Duncan, then it would be a good bet that they all might post similar numbers to Parker, and most of them would probably be more effective defensively than Tony has proven himself capable of being, thus far in his middling career...

dn0774
04-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
This year Chucky Atkins has averaged 13.6 ppg, 4.5 apg, 2.4 rpg, .90 spg, and shot .804 from the free throw line, while playing 35.4 minutes per game.

This year Tony Parker has averaged 16.8 ppg, 5.3 apg, 3.0 rpg, 1.02 spg, and shot .650 from the free throw line, while averaging 34.4 minutes per game.

Is Tony Parker a better player than Chucky Atkins? Quite possibly, yes...

Is Tony Parker so much better than Chucky that to, "mention him with the likes of Chucky Atkins is a crime"? To this I say an emphatic No, and I would further state that I believe that if poor, maligned Chucky, or any number of other similarly skilled point guards (Mike James, Jeff McInnis, Rafer Alston, etc... ), found themselves lucky enough to play with a truly efficient, dominant pivot like Tim Duncan, then I would make a fair bet that they all might post similar numbers to Tony Parker, and most of them would probably play more impassioned and effective defense than Mr. Parker has proven himself capable of, thus far in his middling career...

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tony_parker/index.html

Looking up *correct* stats isnt that hard...Tony averages 6.2 apg, not 5.3. Once again, you cleverly omitted fg%, a stat in which TP is far superior, nice job. If you think 30 year old Chucky Atkins, who is having a career year yet the only stats he manages to better TP in are 3p% and ft% is near the same level as TP then maybe you need to find a new sport. Tell you what, find a Laker fan or 2 and ask if they think Chucky is anywhere near as good as TP, they'll probably laugh in your face.

Contrary to popular belief, playing with Duncan and Manu only hurts TP's stats, but that is a worthy sacrifice to play on a great team.

Evilmav2
04-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Whoops... I was busy watching the Mavs crush the Sonics on television*, so I accidentally posted TP's impressive career average of 5.3 assists per game, rather than his actual, moderately more incredible 6.2 apg, 04-05 average (maybe someday he will climb the mountain, and break the feared and fabled 6.5 apg barrier?). I guess, that just means that you are right in saying that any comparison of a luminary like Tony Parker to an obviously inferior bum like Chucky Atkins is a crime, and that the young Frenchman really is an elite point guard after all (really!)...

Chagrined and chastened, I'll carry those thoughts with me as I go to take a good long piss in my bathroom, before getting another Busch beer from my fridge...




* The Mavs were crushing the Sonics at the time of this original post...

dn0774
04-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Whoops... I was busy watching the Mavs crush the Sonics on television*, so I accidentally posted TP's impressive career average of 5.3 assists per game, rather than his actual, moderately more incredible 6.2 apg, 04-05 average (maybe someday he will climb the mountain, and break the feared and fabled 6.5 apg barrier?). I guess, that just means that you are right in saying that any comparison of a luminary like Tony Parker to an obviously inferior bum like Chucky Atkins is a crime, and that the young Frenchman really is an elite point guard after all (really!)...

Chagrined and chastened, I'll carry those thoughts with me as I go to take a good long piss in my bathroom, before getting another Busch beer from my fridge...




* The Mavs were crushing the Sonics at the time of this original post...

Nice way of admitting I am right. By the way, did I ever say TP was an elite point? Didn't think so.

Out of curiousity, what is your opinion of Jason Terry and Devin Harris?

Evilmav2
04-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by: dn0774

Out of curiousity, what is your opinion of Jason Terry and Devin Harris?

I think they are both more talented than Chucky Atkins or Tony Parker.

dn0774
04-13-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by: Evilmav2

Originally posted by: dn0774

Out of curiousity, what is your opinion of Jason Terry and Devin Harris?

I think they are both more talented than Chucky Atkins or Tony Parker.

Thats what I figured. Enough said.

Evilmav2
04-13-2005, 11:39 PM
So you think Chucky Atkins and Tony Parker are more talented than Jason Terry and Devin Harris? And you think that playing alongside Duncan and Ginobli hurts the stats of TP?

Thespiralgoeson
04-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Tony Parker is a good player.

dn0774
04-14-2005, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
So you think Chucky Atkins and Tony Parker are more talented than Jason Terry and Devin Harris? And you think that playing alongside Duncan and Ginobli hurts the stats of TP?


Chucky Atkins? No, he's a bum. Tony Parkers talent level on the other hand is right up there with Jet and Dev at the very least. TP has already accomplished more in the NBA than Jet despit being 5 years younger. Devin Harris is an intrigueing talent for sure, but he hasn't done a thing yet. Many people felt TP should have been the Spurs 2nd all-star over Manu. Personally, I would have given it to Bibby, but TP was still getting the consideration if nothing else.

Anyways, I am done going back and forth with you. You are a waste of time, especially considering you wont even totally concede that TP is better than Chucky Atkins, a player who is known best for being a solid three point shooter who cant run an offense and is a turnstile on defense. The fact that you will only say TP is "possibly" better than Chucky is a testament to your basketball IQ (or lack there of). I'm not wasting any more time on you... take care.

Evilmav2
04-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by: dn0774
[quote]


Anyways, I am done going back and forth with you. You are a waste of time, especially considering you wont even totally concede that TP is better than Chucky Atkins, a player who is known best for being a solid three point shooter who cant run an offense and is a turnstile on defense. The fact that you will only say TP is "possibly" better than Chucky is a testament to your basketball IQ (or lack there of). I'm not wasting any more time on you... take care.

So you're being personally insulting now? Oh well, I'm sure my feelings will be able to mend eventually, but in the meantime I am going to restate my simply made earlier point, so it doesn't get lost in all of this Chucky/Tony obfuscation:

I honestly believe that Tony Parker is a decent point guard. I honestly believe that Tony Parker is probably a better point guard than Chucky Atkins (the Spurs won all four games against the Lakers this year, and Tony put up 14.25 ppg, 8.25 apg, 1.0 spg, while shooting .478%, against Chucky's 9 ppg, 3.5 apg, 1.5 spg, and .433 FG%), but that wasn't originally what I was stating.

What I will argue is that I believe that Tony Parker has been vastly overrated by the national media because he plays alongside Tim Duncan on a team that has been very successful over the last few years, and that while his 16 points and 6 apg averages are decent, they indicate that Tony's talent level and playing abilities should be more justly compared to that of 'middle of the line' NBA point guards like Chucky or Rafer Alston or Mike James, rather than to the the truly elite point guards in the league (Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Steve Francis, Baron Davis, etc... ). Tony's team may possess a better record than that of some of the names on that list of elite players, but I think it is quite obvious that the success of the Spurs of the last few years has been far more profoundly predicated by the stellar play of two-time MVP Tim Duncan, rather than by Tony Parker's four year rise to 16 point, 6 assist ascendency...

I'm not saying that Tony Parker is a bad player, I'm just saying he's overrated.

The Crippler
04-16-2005, 12:00 AM
plus he's french. f that p.o.s. frog...