PDA

View Full Version : T-Wolves' coach McHale lets players practice on own: Players enjoy relaxed, 'playground-like' atmosphere

Evilmav2
04-12-2005, 08:39 AM
http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/199906/24_khoom_mchale/images/mchale.jpg
T-Wolves' coach McHale lets players practice on own

April 11, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

MINNEAPOLIS -- After reviewing the weekend's ugly video produced by his fast-fading team, Kevin McHale spoke briefly to the Minnesota Timberwolves before turning practice over to the players and his assistants.
Advertisement

No, he wasn't walking off the job. But with five games left in this almost completely crumbled season, the interim coach provided plenty more evidence of his frustration on a rather gloomy Monday afternoon.

"We had a meeting, we looked at some film, we talked about some stuff," McHale said. "I said, 'We'll come to work hard tomorrow. You guys get some running in if you want. If you want to go home, go home."'

Nobody left, at least until reporters were allowed in to watch. In fact, according to Wally Szczerbiak, the playground-like atmosphere that ensued wound up being pretty fun. They chose sides and just played the game in its purest form.

"It was a good time," Szczerbiak said. "The assistants were watching, but for once we got to play without all those guys in our ear."

A nice change of pace, for sure, but the positive effects will be minimal at best. The Timberwolves left Target Center knowing that their official purging from Western Conference playoff contention could come within hours.

Seventh-place Denver (45-31) hosted Golden State and eighth-place Memphis (44-32) visited Dallas on Monday night, and victories by the Nuggets and Grizzlies meant elimination. If not, Minnesota (40-37) merely needed one of those teams to lose their six remaining games and to win its final five.

"I don't even really think about it," Szczerbiak said. "I've been trying to think as (little) as possible about what's been going on. Honestly. Just trying to get my mind off basketball. Watch the Masters. Spend time with my family. You can really lose sleep, rack your brain, if you continue to let this stuff eat at you. Some things you just can't control.

"We could've controlled it a lot better by playing a lot better, but this is how it's going to be. You just have to move on. Life goes on and you have to learn from it."

McHale is flabbergasted by his team's inability, or unwillingness, to learn from mistakes. Just when progress had seemingly been made on defense, numerous errors were made on that end of the court in a loss to Denver on Friday night and during a humiliating defeat at Atlanta on Saturday night.

"Selfish, selfish, selfish - offensively and defensively," McHale said after that 105-98 loss to the Hawks, who have the worst record in the NBA. "When you do that, that just shows a lack of commitment to your teammates and that's the saddest thing."

This was the first players-only practice McHale could remember in his time with the Timberwolves.

"Hopefully Wednesday we'll get better," McHale said, looking ahead to the game against Golden State. "We've got to get the team better. ... Hey, it's been a season of a lot of bad losses. We've lost to a lot of bad teams, and the Atlanta game was the icing on the cake."

Since replacing Flip Saunders on the bench with himself in February, McHale has reiterated he has no desire to coach beyond the season. Though sounding exasperated at times, he offered little insight on Monday when asked whether he might walk away from basketball altogether this summer.

"Ah, we'll see," McHale said. "I think about tomorrow. I'm lucky, because when I croak I'm going to have nothing to worry about 10 years from now, or two years from now. I tell you what. I'm going to be able to lay on that pillow and go peacefully. I'm worried about today and tomorrow. That's all I worry about. I can't control anything other than that."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service
Link (http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/8377364)

Drbio
04-12-2005, 10:43 AM
That entire organization is a playground atmosphere.

Rhylan
04-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Where is Garnett in all this mess? The big, bad, "I have arrived" superstar? Where are the comments? Where's the leadership? Where are the reports of behind-the-scenes screaming and discontent, at least?

Nothing... just 20, 10 and 5. 20, 10 and 5, yo. What more do you want?

Even last year, when we were all upset about Dirk being passive, at least we heard him call out the team in Miami. At least we heard rumors of discontent in the locker room and "guys not buying into the system."

The media needs to stand up and call out Garnett for disappearing this year. He was their boy two years ago.

aexchange
04-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by: Rhylan
Where is Garnett in all this mess? The big, bad, "I have arrived" superstar? Where are the comments? Where's the leadership? Where are the reports of behind-the-scenes screaming and discontent, at least?

Nothing... just 20, 10 and 5. 20, 10 and 5, yo. What more do you want?

Even last year, when we were all upset about Dirk being passive, at least we heard him call out the team in Miami. At least we heard rumors of discontent in the locker room and "guys not buying into the system."

The media needs to stand up and call out Garnett for disappearing this year. He was their boy two years ago.

garnett is too busy beating up big stiffs to pay any attention to your nonsense i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

vjz
04-12-2005, 05:31 PM
A Timberwolvers article without the word 'Garnett' in it? Something weird going on in Minnesota...

MavKikiNYC
05-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Show me a lamer duck than KMc.

Another Flip-flop

After the Timberwolves got some negative feedback for telling teams that hiring ex-Minnesota coach Flip Saunders would cost them draft picks, team owner Glen Taylor did an about-face this past week.

"Let it go," he ordered VP Kevin McHale. Taylor wants Saunders to get another coaching job, because, he has told associates, he doesn't want to wind up paying his ex-coach the $5.5 million he's due this season. Once Saunders signs on with a new team, Taylor is off the hook for the remainder of his contract.

It looks more and more as if Saunders will end up in Portland, which has extended him an offer reported to be in the neighborhood of $40 million over five years. Imagine how much Paul Allen's offer would have been if the T-Wolves hadn't underachieved this past season.

Saunders had one conversation with Isiah Thomas about the Knicks' opening, but it never went beyond that.

Saunders' other option was Cleveland, his family's first choice. But the Cavaliers, facing some local media pressure to hire the Cleveland native, don't want to pay the kind of money the Blazers are willing to shell out for Saunders. The Cavs, who are trying to outwoo Orlando for Memphis assistant Eric Musselman, will go up to $4 million per for LeBron James' new coach.

As for the T-Wolves, McHale wanted to hire another member of the Celtics Alumni Club, Dave Cowens. <u>But Taylor has made it clear that he alone is doing the hiring. McHale's only involvement in the process is to submit names to his boss. </u>With San Antonio's success at getting players to buy into their system, Spurs assistant P.J. Carlesimo is gaining momentum with Taylor. After the T-Wolves bombed this past season, he desperately wants a no-nonsense coach who preaches that players have to take responsibility for their shortcomings.

kingrex
05-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Despite the T-wolves run at the end of the regular season, I think Saunders was used as a goat by McHale for this team's underacheiving.

Saunders deserved better and if he screws the T-wolves for $5.5 mill, then they get what they deserved.

MavKikiNYC
05-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Oh yeah, McHale is definitely a backstabbing whore.

The funny part is the potential reuniting of PJ and Latrine.......or might that mean the T'Wolves aren't thinking of re-upping him?