PDA

View Full Version : Twolf owner-- Cassell and Sprewell were a failed experiment

EricaLubarsky
04-14-2005, 01:36 AM
SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/04/13/truth.rumors.nba/index.html)

"Taylor judged the acquisitions of Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell before last season to be not worth the price paid. Taylor hinted that both players' time may have run out with Minnesota. Sprewell is an unrestricted free agent, and the owner reiterated the obvious, that Sprewell will not return at his current salary. As for a return at all, Taylor said, "Latrell himself has to decide ... if he even wants to play with us. What we have to look at is, is he the right player on our team next year or not?" As for Cassell, Taylor indicated that a trade is a possibility.
-- St. Paul Pioneer Press"

http://cockybastard.com/images/2004/cry.jpg

I really hate to hear about a guy having to deciding between feeding his family and keeping the job that he loves.

dirno2000
04-14-2005, 01:43 AM
...so was paying Joe Smith under the table and going 4 years without a 1st round draft pick.

capitalcity
04-14-2005, 01:45 AM
Cassell and Spreewell are just 'bottom of the barrell' guys... it was always more of a WHEN? not IF? with these two.

PS - love the sig EL.

sike
04-14-2005, 01:56 AM
PPS: I agree with the sig, EL.

chumdawg
04-14-2005, 04:09 AM
I can never figure out EL's sigs.

It absolutely boggles the minds how NBA franchises can be run so poorly. You could grab a CEO from about 500 other businesses of the same size, and they would run the teams far more effectively than a lot of owners do. It's really rather embarrassing, when you think about it.

Dooby
04-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I can never figure out EL's sigs.

It absolutely boggles the minds how NBA franchises can be run so poorly. You could grab a CEO from about 500 other businesses of the same size, and they would run the teams far more effectively than a lot of owners do. It's really rather embarrassing, when you think about it.

I disagree. In the corp. world, success is measured by the bottom line. In sports, success isn't measured by finances and market share alone. It is measured by performace on the field of play, which is rarely an indication of financial success.

I always think back to the Frank Zachanelli/Perot months of the Mavericks ownership. They traded Kidd because he was becoming a problem the made little effort to really evaluate the talent level coming and going. They treated a perrenial allstar as a fungible good; i.e., the value of a player is equal to only the value of what you were getting in return. Thinking like that gets you killed in sports. In business, you can alway find a new COO or CFO. In sports, there are maybe just a handful of people capable of performing at a certain level.

If you want to run a team like a business, then you end up with ownership like Bill Wirtz of the Chicago Blackhawks: "Championships cost too much money!"

rakesh.s
04-14-2005, 12:25 PM
I thought getting Sam Cassell was a good move..No matter how old he is, he is still going to be shooting 50%..He is arguably the best mid range shooter in the game.

Sprewell is a cancer and I was scratching my head when they brought him in, especially since they had a solid player in wally and a shut down defender in Trenton Hassell.

The Eddie Griffin move was also suspect, because it essentially benched all the role players they needed to play - Madsen, Hoiberg

I'm sure Cassell is gone this offseason, and the twolves will be right back to where they were two years ago..A first round team that doesn't have a chance.

capitalcity
04-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Sam Cassell ...He is arguably the best mid range shooter in the game.... please make your case sir.

MFFL41
04-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Sucks for KG now. I'm almost 100% sure they won't resign Spree and they gave extensions and big contract to guys after the WCF. Hmmm does it remind you of some other team.

Reminds me of the 76er's. After their NBA Finals appearance they gave those guys contracts and they still haven't recovered and still have a ways to go. Now the T'wolvesd aren't that deep in the well, but they are close. Spree comes off their books but since they won't be under the cap, then they don't get anything for him. They should have traded him before the deadline. KG is in his prime and what is he gonna be. A much larger Allen Iverson, not winning anything. This is no knock on KG, however, because he has no control. I like the guy and wish he would do well.

But the Wolves have problems and they don't seem to get better. Wally's contract is enormous. They have no center. Hudson isn't a starting type PG and Cassell is over the hill.

So my suggestion is trade KG. I know it's a weird move and some wouln't like it, but surely you can get some good pieces and draft picks for him. Get a young player and rebuild, because from the looks of it, it aint getting any better.

rakesh.s
04-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by: capitalcity

Sam Cassell ...He is arguably the best mid range shooter in the game.... please make your case sir.

who is his competitor i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif...rip hamilton?

Cassell has shot 48% consistently over the last two years..Every time he shoots the ball inside the arc, at least when i've seen the twolves play, it seems to go in...He is locked in. If you look at his 3 pt attempts, he's only taking 2 threes a game, and his FTAs are low, so the majority of his shots are on 2 pt baskets..We know he can't dunk and he isn't going to beat you off the dribble, so his mid range game is the reason for the high %

dude1394
04-15-2005, 10:13 PM
I believe I read somewhere that cassell was actually called a cancer by someone in management.

I had forgotten about minnesota cheating for joe smith. too bad...