PDA

View Full Version : Madden joins Monday Night Football

MFFL
02-28-2002, 11:38 AM
Here's the link (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/topstories/stories/0228nflmadden.457b0.html)

Madden joins 'Monday Night Football'
02/28/2002

Associated Press

NEW YORK John Madden is joining "Monday Night Football."

The gregarious announcer agreed to a four-year deal with ABC and will team with veteran play-by-play man Al Michaels to form a two-man booth on the show, the network said Thursday.

Madden had one year remaining on his contract with Fox Sports, but that network agreed late Wednesday to free him from that deal.

He and ABC then quickly finished hammering out a contract which is worth about $5 million per season, one of the sources said. Madden could wind up making much more from the marketing opportunities that will arise thanks to his weekly prime-time appearances on ABC.

Madden's arrival means the departures of comedian Dennis Miller and color analyst Dan Fouts from "Monday Night Football." Miller was offered the chance to stay on the program in a minor role, an industry source said.

Madden, who coached the Oakland Raiders to the 1977 Super Bowl championship, had been at Fox since 1994. Before that, he and longtime play-by-play partner Pat Summerall were at CBS, where they were paired in 1981. Summerall said a week before this year's Super Bowl that he and Madden would part ways after calling the game for Fox on Feb. 3.

Mirroring a general trend in television, the ratings for "Monday Night Football" have declined each of the past seven years, including a 9 percent drop this season to a new low average rating of 11.5 (each rating point represents a little more than 1.05 million TV homes). Fox's NFL games averaged a 10.2, down 4 percent from last season, while CBS was steady at 9.5.

The partnership between Madden and Summerall evolved into the signature sound for pro football on TV. Summerall's reserved tone contrasted well with Madden's free-flowing opinions and jokes.

They announced eight Super Bowls together. Their first was the 1982 NFL championship, which remains the highest-rated sports telecast ever.

Drbio
02-28-2002, 12:36 PM
This is a good move by ABC. Madden will increase viewership. The Dennis Miller experiment is over now and although I like Millers comedy, I can watch it on HBO. It didn't mesh well with football for me. I like the move and see it as a great day for football.

Doc

Murphy3
02-28-2002, 05:18 PM
can we ever get rid of this guy?
he has sucked for almost a decade

Drbio
02-28-2002, 10:56 PM
Oh man Murph...we finally wholeheartedly disagree. Madden has an incredible insight into the game and sees things most people couldn't pick out of a slow motion replay. I admit he is a little dry, but the guy knows football.

Doc

Hales233
02-28-2002, 10:59 PM
and madden admits when he is wrong, unlike most announcers...remember in the super bowl he said brady should kneel on the ball at the end...and then the pats drove the ball down the field and set up viniatieri for the game-winning FG...but instead of pretending like he didnt say anything, he gave belichick and the pats credit for making the gutsy (and correct) call.

grbh
02-28-2002, 11:54 PM
Madden drives me crazy, but I am sure it will be great for MNF. Part of it may have been getting tired of him during the 90s when he and Pat announced almost every Cowboy game.

Murphy3
03-01-2002, 09:39 AM
i know that madden knows his football. but i just can't stand to listen to the guy. he drives me insane.

LonestarROB
03-01-2002, 10:01 AM
Madden absolutly drives me crazy too i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif . It was hard enough listening to him do the cowboys games. Now I gotta listen to him every monday night? i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

reeds
03-02-2002, 12:20 PM
Ten years ago, I actually loved the guy. Now all i can say is that he SUCKS. His game is old, he has lost most of his football mind, as well as the rest of his mind. I think ABC made a big mistake. And i am probably one of the few who actually liked Dennis Miller...

veruca salt
03-02-2002, 04:46 PM
No i liked Miller, hate NFL, but when I had to watch it, Miller was the only redeeming feature.
I guess i'll be reaching for the razorblades by 1/2 time now i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

FineCubanCigar
03-03-2002, 05:44 PM
i think Madden is beyond overrated

Murphy3
03-03-2002, 07:32 PM
actually, i'm a much bigger fan of summerall than i am of madden

TheKid
03-04-2002, 09:08 AM
Summerall was losing it a bit too, but you're right, he was better than Madden that's for sure.