PDA

View Full Version : Just hand the title to the Spurs...

rakesh.s
05-05-2005, 10:51 AM
i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

The Spurs are just rolling right now and this is without the white David Robinson aka Rasho..Rasho is expected back for the second round and as much as I want to believe that Rashard Lewis will pose problems for SA's defense, something tells me that the Spurs are going CRUSH Seattle. Will the Spurs EVER decline?

They can beat you in the half court and beat you in an uptempo game(as seen by their win against Phoenix after being down by 20, in what was arguably the best game of the season).

The Denver series should've really been a sweep, but for whatever reason, Duncan's shots just rolled out one too many times in game 1.

Do you guys really think anybody can beat the Spurs, given the way they're playing? That includes the Mavericks.

chumdawg
05-05-2005, 10:54 AM
I believe that the Spurs are prone to an upset right now. Do not count the Sonics out there.

I also believe that if the Spurs advance, they would fall rather easily to the Suns and play the Mavs about even.

capitalcity
05-05-2005, 11:09 AM
It's a 6 hour flight to Seattle
Manu is exhausted and beat-up
Parker is not slashing enough
The refs will be watching bowen like a hawk
Good 3 point shooters kill the spurs

This series goes six... the spurs will still win, but it won't be no cakewalk.

The spurs of 2005 are vulnerable. IF they make it outta the west, both Detroit and Miami could easily...

LRB
05-05-2005, 11:17 AM
The Spurs are a very good team, and IMO the favorite to win the NBA championship right now. However they are far from unbeatable. I think that should we progress and meet them that the Mavs have a decent shot of knocking the Spurs off. The thing is that any team who beats the Spurs is going to have to play at least 4 really good games to do so. Even when the Spurs play bad in the playoffs, they're still pretty good. I think the real secret to beating the Spurs is making Duncan work hard on the Defensive end.

dalmations202
05-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Too much parity in the league. Just watch it play out.

If the Mavs win tonight, you will have the top 4 teams in the West --- any of which could catch fire and win it all. I think Seattle would have the toughest time winning it all though.

In the East -- it is Detroit and Miami......no one else stands a shot, IMO.

It is getting fun now, and I think any of these 6 teams could win it all. I think the Spurs, Phoenix and Miami have the best shots though.

Go Mavs........ anything less than championship will be underachieving. (but a learning lesson never the less)

rakesh.s
05-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by: LRB
I think the real secret to beating the Spurs is making Duncan work hard on the Defensive end.

Yes, in the Seattle wins during the regular season, he was chasing Rashard Lewis around. That is why I thought Seattle had a chance. But Rashard has to have his A game, every game. He can't have a 3-12 shooting performance like he had in the kings series.

Originally posted by: capitalcity
It's a 6 hour flight to Seattle

I see what you're saying..and your last point was the reason that they beat the spurs in the regular season. You can probably narrow it down even further to Rashard Lewis. He is the x-factor.

The thing is, the Spurs went up to Denver, where the altitude is supposed to be a "true home court advantage" and won TWICE.

All in all, it should be interesting but I just hope the Spurs don't roll over everybody on their way to the title.

Thespiralgoeson
05-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Of all the elite PF's in the league, I really think Duncan has the most trouble guarding Dirk. He just can't guard the perimeter, and Dirk lights it up from long range. The Spurs are probably the best team in the league overall, but they are by no means unbeatable. They're certainly not Jordan's Bulls, Magic's Lakers, or Bird's Celtics. Really, except maybe Detroit, I don't think any team matches up with the Spurs better than the Mavs. The Mavs have a very good chance at beating them... We just gotta get past Houston and Phoenix first. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

TVI
05-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by: capitalcity
It's a 6 hour flight to SeattleI'm not sure how that will have any impact on the series. Seattle will have to travel as much as San Antonio will.

This series goes six... the spurs will still win, but it won't be no cakewalk.For some reason, I don't think the Sonics will be any tougher than the Nuggets. Denver just might have won the Northwest had Karl come to them a month earlier. I think that the only way the Sonics have a chance is if Ray Allen goes crazy every game, and he does not enjoy playing against Bowen.

The spurs of 2005 are vulnerable. IF they make it outta the west, both Detroit and Miami could easily...Every team is vulnerable. But Denver was a good tune-up for the Spurs. Sometimes it helps to have an opponent expose your flaws early. It gives you more time to correct them.

Thespiralgoeson
05-05-2005, 07:23 PM
San Antonio will absolutely crush Seattle... but not the Mavs i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

chumdawg
05-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Too much parity in the league. Just watch it play out.

If the Mavs win tonight, you will have the top 4 teams in the West --- any of which could catch fire and win it all. I think Seattle would have the toughest time winning it all though.

In the East -- it is Detroit and Miami......no one else stands a shot, IMO.

It is getting fun now, and I think any of these 6 teams could win it all. I think the Spurs, Phoenix and Miami have the best shots though.

Go Mavs........ anything less than championship will be underachieving. (but a learning lesson never the less)I concur, Spotty Dog, with the first three-and-a-half paragraphs. Yet I give Detroit an equal chance with the Heat (I actually prefer the Pistons) and I have a hard time finding Phoenix's road any easier to hoe than Dallas's.

I also think that if the Mavs made the WCF, especially if they extended that series to six or seven games, it would have to be considered a strong achievement given the path they have to take.

TVI
05-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson
San Antonio will absolutely crush Seattle... but not the Mavs i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gifGotta stay focused on Houston and Phoenix first...i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Thespiralgoeson
05-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by: TVI

San Antonio will absolutely crush Seattle... but not the Mavs i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gifGotta stay focused on Houston and Phoenix first...i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

No doubt. That's pretty much what I meant. The Mavs could get to the WCF, and if we do, we'll give san antonio all they can handle... Or we could get beat by Houston or Phoenix.. Either way, the Spurs won't crush the mavs.... i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Dirkenstien
05-07-2005, 01:34 AM
Basically from here on out Dirk needs to bring his A game. If not, then I have a hard time seeing us advance any further in the playoffs.

BradleySucks
05-07-2005, 01:44 AM
I think Walter Ray Allen is going to steal the show. Seattle is a sleeper, kinda reminds me of the old Rockets from '95. They are a cohesive unit, and got some good bangers. I think Ray Ray is better than Manu, and T-Parker is overrated!

4cwebb
05-07-2005, 02:46 AM
Spurs may have faced their toughest opponent in the first round. Denver matches up extremely well against them, Camby defends Duncan pretty well, and they have the speed on the perimeter to hang with Parker. And, the Nuggets gave away game 3 imho, which really hurt them in that series.

Seattle has size, but not smart size in Jerome James, so he can't handle Duncan, and Fortson's been a head case this second half of the season. Bowen is in Ray's head, and Rashard had a relatively terrible series against the Kings.

I'm also willing to bet that of the three teams remaining on the other side of the WC bracket, the team the Spurs probably want to see the most is Phoenix, who plays no defense, and has shown to be vulnerable to the Spurs' defense. Mavs and Rockets have individuals that the Spurs just can't match up with in Dirk and TMac.

sike
05-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by: TVI

how about just Houston? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif