PDA

View Full Version : Sonics/Spurs

chumdawg
05-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Anyone watch the game last night? I was pretty shocked at the execution down the stretch. Seattle didn't want to win it, and the Spurs absolutely refused to take it away from them. I know it's one game, and I know the Spurs probably didn't feel one inkling of urgency, but I still came away feeling that both teams played a pretty embarrassing game for this point in the season. The Spurs missed all kind of free throws down the stretch, the Sonics took bad shot after bad shot. Duncan airballed one of his patented bank shots. It was just ugly basketball.

And that flop by Ginobli, well, it was just priceless. The worst acting job I've ever seen. Hey, Manu: it works better when it's not a full second late!

dirno2000
05-13-2005, 11:15 AM
And that flop by Ginobli, well, it was just priceless. The worst acting job I've ever seen. Hey, Manu: it works better when it's not a full second late!That was comical...then he stayed on the floor for about 30 seconds to try to sell it...he's better than that.

Seattle's execution down the stretch was embarrassing...the only thing they had going for them was Bill Russell...I mean Jerome James. Say what you want about Bowen, but he has and apartment on Ray Allen's head. Then again itís a little easier when you have Tim Duncan behind you.

rakesh.s
05-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Didn't get to see the game, but sounds like game 1 between SA and Denver.

SA will come back with a vengeance and finish off Seattle in 5.

4cwebb
05-13-2005, 01:02 PM
From the highlights I saw, Jerome James was dunking anything and everything he could get his hands on near the rim, some even past/over Duncan, which you don't see that often.

Sonics also made quite a point of ruffing up the Spurs...can't think of any other team that is capable of doing that to the Spurs, but if any team can do it, it's the Sonics with their band of big men.

TVI
05-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by: 4cwebb
From the highlights I saw, Jerome James was dunking anything and everything he could get his hands on near the rim, some even past/over Duncan, which you don't see that often.

Sonics also made quite a point of ruffing up the Spurs...can't think of any other team that is capable of doing that to the Spurs, but if any team can do it, it's the Sonics with their band of big men.With Camby, K-mart, Nene, and even Najera, I think the Nuggets have a more physical team.

bo319
05-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Yeah if George Karl would have ever gotten El Rayo off the pine.
He logged alot of DNP-CD s in that series.

bernardos70
05-17-2005, 10:59 PM
If we play the Spurts, no one non-Dallas fan should be complaining about Dirk getting calls. Collins was guarding him perfectly, stripped the ball from him pretty cleanly, and Collins was whistled for a foul. Next time own the court Duncan CLEARLY clears out with his off arm, completely wiping out Collins arms out of the way to get his shot cleanly off. No call.

It's great to be Tim Duncan.

4cwebb
05-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by: TVI

Originally posted by: 4cwebb

Sonics also made quite a point of ruffing up the Spurs...can't think of any other team that is capable of doing that to the Spurs, but if any team can do it, it's the Sonics with their band of big men.With Camby, K-mart, Nene, and even Najera, I think the Nuggets have a more physical team.

Just for fun I don't really consider Camby to be a physical guy, so we'll match him with Collison of the Sonics. James and Nene = wash. Evans and KMart = wash. Fortson and Najera = physical edge Fortson.

And, Sonics squandering a find opportunity to steal a game from the Spurs in game 5. Spurs relying on Manu, who has 37. Parker hasn't shown up, Duncan have a subpar game for him. Nazr M. has had a huge game for the Spurs, though. Still, Ray Allen hasn't done anything in the second half, and Rashard Lewis again has a sprained big toe keep him out of the game.

TVI
05-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by: bernardos70
If we play the Spurts, no one non-Dallas fan should be complaining about Dirk getting calls. Collins was guarding him perfectly, stripped the ball from him pretty cleanly, and Collins was whistled for a foul. Next time own the court Duncan CLEARLY clears out with his off arm, completely wiping out Collins arms out of the way to get his shot cleanly off. No call.

It's great to be Tim Duncan.Only because he's one of the best players on the planet...

To intimate that Duncan gets some kind of special treatment only proves to me that you haven't watched enough Spurs games. I've seen him play through hundreds of games where he's had to claw for everything he got because of how little respect he got from the officials. Duncan shot 6 FTs yesterday on 21 shots, with 2nd and 3rd rate players on him. He should have shot a hell of a lot more.

For a guy with his hands on the ball on damn near every offensive possession, Duncan was only 22nd in the NBA in FTAs last year. Dirk was 5th, and shot over 250 more FTs than Duncan. Adjusting for games played, Dirk still took 170 more FTs than Duncan. On average, Dirk gets over 9 FTs a game, Duncan gets fewer than 7. Dirk is (primarily) a perimeter player, Duncan is a post player. None of this adds up. Comparatively speaking, Dirk is getting much better treatment from the officials.

And I have no issue with the calls Dirk gets. I'm sure he earns them. But your argument that there's any"special treatment" for Duncan is simply unsupported by the facts. Don't try to sell it as legitimate based it on a 30 second segment of one game.

kingrex
05-18-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm really surprised at how much the Sonics have fought in this series. I know they played well in the regular season, but after seeing their collapse towards the end of the season, I didn't expect them to show this well against the Spurs.

The Spurs have had no answer for the Allen-to-James pick-and-roll. The Spurs will win this series, but I won't be surprised anymore if the Sonics take it to 7-games. Good job sonics!

rakesh.s
05-18-2005, 10:49 AM
The Sonics had a good chance of winning this series with everyone healthy..But their 2nd and 3rd best 3 pt shooters are both hurt.

This is just like when Dirk went down for Dallas 2 years ago. Spurs will likely close it out in 6.

Big Boy Laroux
05-18-2005, 01:21 PM
last night was the first game of this series that i watched all the way thrugh. I thought the refs were bad in our series... horrible reffing in this game, too! ginobili plays the game like diego maradona, his fellow argentenian. flopping on every little bit of contact. and not just slight flopping. i'm talking over-the-top extremely dramatic flopping. more than vlade has EVER done.

wilkins got a board last night, and brought his elbows up to protect the ball. manu actually initiates contact with his face, into wilkins' elbow, then flops back like he just got shot. foul on wilkins.

in soccer, if you flop like that with no (or little) contact, you get a yellow card. In basketball, it's supposed to be a tech. you never see that called, though.

kingrex
05-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
in soccer, if you flop like that with no (or little) contact, you get a yellow card. In basketball, it's supposed to be a tech. you never see that called, though.

How controversial would it be if it were called? Fans whine enough about the officiating, this judgement call would send whiny fans spiraling.

Big Boy Laroux
05-18-2005, 05:40 PM
yeah, i do agree with you. I don't think it would work in the NBA. The way NBA refs are, the less judgment calls, the better. But at the very least, the refs should know not to reward the flopper by calling a foul.

Big Boy Laroux
05-20-2005, 04:44 PM
well, looks like sports guy agrees with me:

2. The emergence of Ginobili as an über-villain
I'm not sure how this happened or when it happened, but he's the winner of the "Guy You Love to Hate" award in the 2005 playoffs, isn't he? It starts with that cheesy haircut, which looks like he borrowed it from Andy Garcia right after the "Ocean's Twelve" press junket, capped off by the barely perceptible bald spot on the top of his head which you can see everytime the Spurs bring the ball over midcourt. Then there's the flopping, which I can't even remember him doing that much until this Seattle series -- now he's like a World Cup soccer player. (Shouldn't there be fines for this stuff?) And then there's that whiny, martyr-like look on his face after somebody knocks him to the ground, vaguely reminiscent of the look on Daniel LaRusso's face after every cheap shot during the 1985 All-Valley Karate Championships. I can't stand him. I really can't. Which is a good thing, I think.

(Note: Part of the problem with this league since the early-90's was that there weren't enough talented players who made you not want to like them. Between Bowen and Ginobili, I was vehemently rooting for Seattle last night even though I didn't have any financial interest in the game. When's the last time that happened?)

Sports Guy Cowbell Blog (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/cowbell/blog)