PDA

View Full Version : Webber On AI: "I Can't Play With Him."

TheBaron
05-16-2005, 01:37 AM
the article (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/309599p-264954c.html)

WASHINGTON - All of the big-man, little-man pairings in the East aren't going quite as well as Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade. Their Batman and Robin routine could take the Miami Heat to its first NBA championship, depending, first and foremost, on O'Neal's physical condition the rest of the way.

The Sixers, are a long way from the Heat, especially when it comes to their big-man, little-man pairing. Not long after a first-round loss in the playoffs to the Pistons, Chris Webber confided to several close friends that playing with Allen Iverson drove him crazy.

"I can't play with him," Webber told one old friend. "He dribbles too much."

That's not exactly Shaq telling Wade before the Big Fella sat out Game 3 of the Miami-Washington series with a bum thigh, "you're the best player on the court. Now go out and play that way." As Wade later admitted, after putting the Wizards in a 3-0 hole with another eye-opening performance, "that's the kind of confidence you just can't buy."

Webber apparently isn't very confident that he and Iverson can make a successful tandem starting next season. After lamenting Iverson's me-first approach, he told his pal: "I'd take a pay cut to get out of there."

But the pay cut isn't happening, nor is Webber's imminent departure. It will be more than a little difficult for the Sixers to break up the Iverson-Webber pairing, meaning finding Webber a new team. He makes $63 million over the next three seasons, his knee isn't getting any better and next March he turns 33. So their ability to work together on the floor to help the Sixers improve on their 43 wins and seventh-place finish in the East is going to be Topic A when they go to training camp in October.

It's not as if Webber wasn't warned by people in the know that it would be close to impossible to work with Iverson. When he first became a Sixer at February's trading deadline, he ran into an old Big Ten pal, Glenn Robinson. The Sixers had once hoped that Big Dog would be the running buddy who would taking scoring pressure off Iverson, just as they once incorrectly envisioned Keith Van Horn in that very same role.

But Robinson, who also had problems with Iverson, shared some prophetic words with Webber.

"You won't able to play with him," the Big Dog warned.

poohrichardson
05-16-2005, 01:43 AM
I'd like to see Chris back in the West.. I definitely enjoyed watching the Mavs against him.. he's a guy that, say what you will but, leaves it all out on the court.. he might not be the best defender in the world, but he does all he can to help his team win..

Imagine him with Jersey.. trade him straight up for Vince or RJ and that is an Eastern Conference contender overnight..

Thespiralgoeson
05-16-2005, 05:44 AM
The Sixers really do have awful management. They've had Iverson for like 8 years now, and all the so-called "help" they've ever gotten him were washed-up jumpshooters, with the exception of Stackhouse, who's a guard anyway. C-Webb in his prime would be the perfect compliment to AI, but the old, one legged, jumpshooting C-Webb is about as helpful as Glenn Robinson was. The only way AI, or Philly will ever succeed is if AI is paired with a great post-player. Kukoc, Keith Van Horn, Jerry Stackhouse, Glenn Robinson, Chris Webber... All great players, (except Robinson whom I just can't stand), but not the type, or class of player that AI needs beside him to make that team a contender. If AI played alongside Jermaine O'neal, or even someone like Pau Gasol or Chris Bosh, that team would be a contender, no doubt. Philly has got a young core of talented players, and AI is still young enough, but they made a huge mistake when they took on C-Webb's gigantic contract, even though he's made the team better. Now it'll be near impossible for them to get a great low-post guy. Webber is absolutely un-tradeable, and hates playing with Iverson to boot. And with those two huge contracts, it looks like the only way they'll ever be able to get a great-post player is to trade away some of that young talent; Iguadala, Dalembert, Korver... Iverson wants to win, but it's always a lose-lose situation in Philly.

endtroducing
05-16-2005, 08:34 AM
send Webber to Cleveland or something. or Golden State (again). maybe even Minnesota. or the Lakers.

Drbio
05-16-2005, 08:47 AM
Webber is an ass.

kingrex
05-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Webber is in decline, and AI won't change the way he plays. Poor little millionaire.

MavKikiNYC
05-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Somebody lend Billy King a bullet.

Chiwas
05-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Webber could find a reason to whine in the very night his team was winning a championship.

Nash13
05-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by: Drbio
Webber is an ass.

This pretty much sums it up.

EricaLubarsky
05-16-2005, 01:32 PM
I'll tell you one thing that does scare me: Webber in Houston.

Nash13
05-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

I'm not point you out, but why is Houston the place to be? They say Jason Kidd might want to go their, How are they going to get him? There isn't any reasonable package that could send Kidd to Houston. And what could Houston trade to Philly that they didn't already have before trading for Webber?

kingrex
05-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by: Nash13

Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

I'm not point you out, but why is Houston the place to be? They say Jason Kidd might want to go their, How are they going to get him? There isn't any reasonable package that could send Kidd to Houston. And what could Houston trade to Philly that they didn't already have before trading for Webber?

Houston is the place to be because of the superstar talent at the swing and center positions. Their only missing pieces are at point guard (thus the Kidd fit) and power forward (thus the Webber fit).

Jason Kidd has already expressed wanting to end his career at a contender, and if he thinks that he will have a better chance to do that in Houston rather than New Jersey, then I can see him demanding a trade.

As for Webber, Philly may just want to unload that $63 million contract. Howver, as you said it is hard for me to see Philly getting anything of value from Houston in exchange.

FilthyFinMavs
05-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Yea, Houston is the new San Antonio Spurs. Every rumor had Kidd, Andre Miller or some point going to them during the summer. Houston are one of the up and coming teams though. I honestly think they could do without a Pf if Juwan returns. Their main focus should be point.

CWebb in Cleveland would benefit both parties. The Cavs main superstar is passing friendly and can make Cwebb even look better than he really is.

Nash13
05-17-2005, 01:00 AM
I see why players want to go there, but my question is how do they intend on getting their? Unless they want the MLE, they have to be traded. And there's nothing worth trading for on that team. I could see an Andre Miller trade b/c Denver needs shooters. But if Thorton traded Kidd for a bunch of spares, he'll be fired and permanently exiled from New Jersey.

capitalcity
05-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Webber? ... Oh right, that's that Fab Five bonehead who didn't amount to anything in the NBA. I remember him.

poohrichardson
05-17-2005, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by: capitalcity
Webber? ... Oh right, that's that Fab Five bonehead who didn't amount to anything in the NBA. I remember him.

Not to start an argument or anything.. but what has ANY Mav amounted to as opposed to C-Webb?

4cwebb
05-17-2005, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by: poohrichardson

Not to start an argument or anything.. but what has ANY Mav amounted to as opposed to C-Webb?

I'd agree here, and if I could wind back the clock two years, I'd say that this would be a solid point. However, if Dirk can string together three or four more seasons similar to this past season, I'd say he's amounted to more than CWebb in the NBA at that point, at least barring some miraculous turnaround by CWebb.

And, he's making it tough on me to be a huge supporter of his. He's either got the worst group of "friends" constantly leaking stories, or he just cannot keep his trap shut. He just seems to have controversy follow him around, which is frustrating.

capitalcity
05-17-2005, 09:39 AM
No Mav has ever been as over-hyped, as over-paid or as over-coddled as Mr. Webber. He's the king, no pun intended, of all fuckups.

Thespiralgoeson
05-17-2005, 08:42 PM
No Mav has ever been as over-hyped, as over-paid or as over-coddled as Mr. Webber. He's the king, no pun intended, of all fuckups.

Over-hyped? Maybe... Overpaid? Definitely... Still, that certainly doesn't mean that he "didn't amount to anything" in the NBA. I don't like the guy, but he has had a pretty impressive NBA career. Being a 5-time all-star and transforming a virtually dead franchise into a championship contender is certainly something. To be fair, he never amounted to his full potential. Chris Webber probably could've been the greatest power forward of all time if he had developed a better post-game, and became a decent defender. However, he always tried to do a little bit of everything, play on the perimeter, and dish off the behind the back pass, instead of focusing on his real strengths. That, and he was hindered by injuries his entire career, so he never became the player he could've been. Still, he's had a very impressive career. Saying that he "never amounted to anything in the NBA" is way off base.

MavKikiNYC
05-17-2005, 10:28 PM
SheWebb's defects weren't physical.

They were defects of character, which never allowed him to develop the mentality of a winner, let alone a champion.

He belongs in Philly.

4cwebb
05-17-2005, 10:48 PM

Shawn Bradley (except for the over-coddled with the Mavs).

Thespiralgoeson
05-18-2005, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by: 4cwebb

Bradley's definitely overpaid, but he's certainly not hyped in any way shape or form.

Thespiralgoeson
05-18-2005, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
SheWebb's defects weren't physical.

They were defects of character, which never allowed him to develop the mentality of a winner, let alone a champion.

He belongs in Philly.

I agree. He could've been the greatest power forward of all-time if he had developed a great post-game and some D, if he had found a real identity as a player. However, he always seemed kind of uncomfortable in his own skin, like he always wanted to be something he wasn't.

4cwebb
05-18-2005, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson

Bradley's definitely overpaid, but he's certainly not hyped in any way shape or form.

Bradley was the second pick in the NBA draft the same year that CWebb went #1 and Penny went #3, and that was coming off of his mission without playing true organized basketball for at least the prior year. That's hyped.

Let's also not forget that while he isn't signed to a max deal like CWebb (or even as big a deal as Penny had), he got a contract that was too large from the Mavs last time around.

sike
05-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Probably should have stopped here: "I Can't Play."

Thespiralgoeson
05-18-2005, 09:57 AM

Bradley was the second pick in the NBA draft the same year that CWebb went #1 and Penny went #3, and that was coming off of his mission without playing true organized basketball for at least the prior year. That's hyped.

Let's also not forget that while he isn't signed to a max deal like CWebb (or even as big a deal as Penny had), he got a contract that was too large from the Mavs last time around.

When Bradley was young, he had a few solid years. He averaged double-digits when he was in New Jersey if I'm not mistaken. He wasn't a bad pick. However, for several years now, he's been the laughing stock of the NBA, unfairly I might add. Being the 2nd overall pick 10 years ago, doesn't make him hyped.

kingrex
05-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Bradley v. Webber is NOT even close. Both guys in their prime, then Webber schools Bradley. Bradley is tall, but Webber was athletic and a smart player. No contest.

Thespiralgoeson
05-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by: kingrex
Bradley v. Webber is NOT even close. Both guys in their prime, then Webber schools Bradley. Bradley is tall, but Webber was athletic and a smart player. No contest.

Nobody is comparing Bradley to C-Webb. My argument was that Bradley is hated, not hyped.

LRB
05-18-2005, 11:17 AM

Bradley is hardley overpaid now. Yeah his 1st contract in the league did overpay him for what he was able to do. Bradley is a very good backup center who can alter the game on the defensive end like few players in the NBA. He certainly has his share of weaknesses, but if you look at the Mavs winning % when Big Shawn plays significant minutes and Bradleys +/- stastics over the past few years, he's done quite well. Nellie had a personal thing against Shawn and couldn't use him to his full abilities, but still Shawn contributed. There are tons of players in the NBA who make more than Shawn and contribute less. Shawn's contract is a good contract relative to most NBA contracts. Of course you certainly could argue that all NBA players are grossly overpaid, in which case Shawn would fall into the overpaid category. But he's not relative to most of the league.

Now Webber is paid an outrageous amount of money, about 1/2 the salary cap if I remember correctly. That's not the going rate except for legit MVP candidates year in and year out. That has not been Weber.

Thespiralgoeson
05-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Actually, isn't Webber something like one of the 3 highest paid athletes in all of sports, not including endorsements? If I remember correctly, it goes something like:

1. Shaq
2. A-Rod
3. Webber

4cwebb
05-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Actually, isn't Webber something like one of the 3 highest paid athletes in all of sports, not including endorsements? If I remember correctly, it goes something like:

1. Shaq
2. A-Rod
3. Webber

He might be, although I can't be certain. I do know that he's scheduled to make on average about $20 million per season over the last three seasons of his contract. That's a lot of scratch.

MavKikiNYC
05-20-2005, 01:39 PM

1. Shaq
2. A-Rod
3. Webber

He might be, although I can't be certain. I do know that he's scheduled to make on average about $20 million per season over the last three seasons of his contract. That's a lot of scratch.

Yeah, and for Billy King, it's gonna be a lot of itch.