PDA

View Full Version : Western Conference Finals - Suns/Spurs


vjz
05-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Hmm, no thread for the West Finals yet?

I, for one, am totally waiting for this. Run-n-gun VS Defense. Will a run-n-gun team, with a suspect defense, finally prevail over an all-round defensive team? If the Suns do prevail, I don't think anyone from out East can stop them.

I hope Timmy & JJ get healthy soon, so that we can see them fight it out full-strenght.

(I'll be rooting for the Spurs; can't take anymore of Nash-love.)

MavKikiNYC
05-22-2005, 01:37 PM
If the Suns do prevail, I don't think anyone from out East can stop them.

Interesting. But I think both Detroit and Miami could take a series from the Suns. Detroit would neutralize Amare with the Wallaces, and Billups/Hunter can blunt off Nash. And they will absoultely take the air out of the ball.

Miami might even be tougher--Wade would use Nash up, and they'd have ZERO counter for O'Neal inside. Plus they have plenty of bodies and fouls to use on Amare, and I'd bet Stan VG would look at what has been done to Amare by the Mavs, and do more of it and do it better.

Moot though. San Antonio should dispatch the Suns in 6.

Bookit
05-22-2005, 02:05 PM
I'll be rooting my ass of for the Suns. I would like team with Phoenix's style to make it to the Finals.

Bookit
05-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Nash looks all world against us and looks ordinary so far against the Spurs. Figures.

rakesh.s
05-22-2005, 03:29 PM
I usually don't believe in conspiracy theories..but some of these spurs games have had the worst officiating i've seen

Tim Duncan just pushes nash in the back and the official just lets them keep playing. At the time, he would've picked up his 2nd and gone to the bench in the first quarter.

Ginobili just jerks his head a little and crawford blows the whistle. There was one foul against nash where he didn't even touch him. Ginobili just lost the ball going up and immediately they called the foul.

I'm losing interest in this series already.

rakesh.s
05-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Well, I don't think the suns are winning this series. The lack of a bench and Joe Johnson's loss are really showing themselves in this game.

Factor in the biased spurs officiating and brent barry(who is FINALLY looking like a worthy acquisition) hitting 25 foot threes and this one is ovah..

I just wish we had the biased officiating that the spurs have. Let the arms flail and jerk your head and get a call.

vjz
05-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Relatively easy win for the Spurs (121-114). Absolute slaughter, 43 pts in the 4th.

capitalcity
05-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by: rakesh.s Let the arms flail and jerk your head and get a call.Ginobilli is going for an oscar every time he touches the ball. And on cue - he gets every friggin call. I used to admire the guy's hustle, but the flopping is reaching epic proportions.

mary
05-22-2005, 05:28 PM
I can't believe the Spurs actually missed any baskets in the 4th. The Suns were pretty much helpless against their half-court offense - something that takes TIME to develop (hint hint)

Oh yeah..it helps to have Duncan in the low post i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

mary
05-22-2005, 05:30 PM
As far as the officiating goes, I thought the Suns were getting their fair share of calls. And if they weren't, then who cares.

endtroducing
05-22-2005, 05:39 PM
I hope the Spurs destroy the Suns in four straight games. see how much people pine for Nash then...

dude1394
05-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Go spurs.. Sweep 'em.

rakesh.s
05-22-2005, 10:23 PM
If there's any team I hate more than the Suns, it's the Spurs.. I swear, there are more biased calls for them than any other team in the league..

Since Kobe had his little incident in Colorado, Duncan has now taken over as the league's premier golden boy..That certainly has something to do with it. We can't have Hunter blocking the golden boy's shot now can we?

This was pretty clear in the Seattle series too.

4cwebb
05-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
If there's any team I hate more than the Suns, it's the Spurs.. I swear, there are more biased calls for them than any other team in the league..

Since Kobe had his little incident in Colorado, Duncan has now taken over as the league's premier golden boy..That certainly has something to do with it. We can't have Hunter blocking the golden boy's shot now can we?

This was pretty clear in the Seattle series too.

Funny, but if you visit a Spurs' board, you'll see as much talk about the officials hosing the Spurs in game 1, especially with Amare getting to the line 18 times or so. It seems to me that Manu gets an inordinate number of calls where nothing happens to him...I find the acting quite annoying --- he flails even more so than Dirk does.

Barry was huge in the 4th quarter, and the Spurs offense just didn't miss. When the Suns blinked, game 1 was in the bag, and HCA was back with the last team standing from Texas.

grndmstr_c
05-23-2005, 12:38 AM
I've said it elsewhere, but after watching Nash get his @$$ handed to him year after year in the playoffs with the Mavs I harbor enormous resentment towards him (and by proxy the Suns) for the way he's played against us this postseason. That is why, irrespective of my Texas pride I boldly declare:

F' Steve Nash! F' the Suns! Go Spurs!

Ninkobei
05-23-2005, 12:59 AM
I vote for a Spurs vs Miami championship. Miami winning, of course..

4cwebb
05-23-2005, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I've said it elsewhere, but after watching Nash get his @$$ handed to him year after year in the playoffs with the Mavs I harbor enormous resentment towards him (and by proxy the Suns) for the way he's played against us this postseason. That is why, irrespective of my Texas pride I boldly declare:

F' Steve Nash! F' the Suns! Go Spurs!

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't you rather see a team that doesn't adhere to the "defensive wins championships" mentality win a title for the first time in nearly 20 years? I know I would.

Of course, for that to happen, Q is going to have to pull his head out for the first time in 7 or 8 games in game 2, and Marion is going to have to remember how to play on the offensive end of the floor. It's one thing for him to guard Dirk "out of position", quite another for him to try to check Duncan or even Nazr.

grndmstr_c
05-23-2005, 02:56 AM
To some extent, yeah, if only because I'd like to see a little more offense in the finals and absolutely abhor those 20 posession field goal droughts the Spurs inevitably go on about once a series. But there's really an extremely short list of teams I like less than Phoenix at the moment (I'll probably be a littles less hateful towards them after this season), so I'm happy to wait till next year when a revamped Mavs team puts up 110 a game against the Heat.i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

TVI
05-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
If there's any team I hate more than the Suns, it's the Spurs...And that explains why you think that there's biased officiting in favor of them.

Amazing. More fouls were called against the Spurs, Stoudemire shoots 18 FTs, and yet somehow you maintain the officiating favored them.

Personally, I thought the calls were pretty even. I don't expect perfection from the refs, just reasonable consistency.

rakesh.s
05-23-2005, 07:49 AM
The reason I hate the spurs is BECAUSE of the biased officiating..especially towards Duncan. There was a play on a loose ball yesterday when Duncan just pushed Nash to the floor and the official(crawford) stood right there looking at them and swallowed his whistle. That would've been Duncan's 2nd foul in the first quarter.

The same exact thing happened in the Seattle series. Jerome James or Antonio Daniels got hit by Duncan driving into the lane. It was so blatant that it wasn't funny. At the time Duncan would've picked up his 2nd foul, but the ref swallowed his whistle, AGAIN.

Don't even get me started on Ginobili. He dribbles around a pick, and when the defender goes over the pick, he immediately flails his head and draws a foul...

For what it's worth, there were maybe one or two bad calls that went Amare's way in the dallas series. There were also calls that didn't go in his favor - - talking about the play when Dampier "blocked" his shot, when in reality, he slapped him on the forearm.

From what I saw in Game 1, the fouls on stoudemire were pretty blatant. On another play, Duncan used his pivot and turned into the defender..His face made contact with the other player's sternum and the foul was called on the defender..WHAT THE HELL...

Like I said, we can't have Stephen Hunter blocking the golden boy's shot can we?

4cwebb
05-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
The reason I hate the spurs is BECAUSE of the biased officiating..especially towards Duncan. There was a play on a loose ball yesterday when Duncan just pushed Nash to the floor and the official(crawford) stood right there looking at them and swallowed his whistle. That would've been Duncan's 2nd foul in the first quarter.

The same exact thing happened in the Seattle series. Jerome James or Antonio Daniels got hit by Duncan driving into the lane. It was so blatant that it wasn't funny. At the time Duncan would've picked up his 2nd foul, but the ref swallowed his whistle, AGAIN.

Don't even get me started on Ginobili. He dribbles around a pick, and when the defender goes over the pick, he immediately flails his head and draws a foul...

For what it's worth, there were maybe one or two bad calls that went Amare's way in the dallas series. There were also calls that didn't go in his favor - - talking about the play when Dampier "blocked" his shot, when in reality, he slapped him on the forearm.

From what I saw in Game 1, the fouls on stoudemire were pretty blatant. On another play, Duncan used his pivot and turned into the defender..His face made contact with the other player's sternum and the foul was called on the defender..WHAT THE HELL...

Like I said, we can't have Stephen Hunter blocking the golden boy's shot can we?

Regardless of how game 1 was officiated, I don't think it can be pointed to as the reason the Suns lost the game. The blame for the loss lies solely on the shoulder of QRich and Marion for just not showing up at all, and credit goes to Brent Barry for having great memory loss, not remembering that he's played like garbage for the last 2/3 of this season.

Nash13
05-23-2005, 10:45 AM
I would really love to see a Spurs/Detroit finals. It would be a true basketball fan's dream to see two defensive teams who match up extremely well have at it for 7 games.


Even though i wouldn't mind if the Suns won: Blow the freaks out SAS. Blow the freaks out.

rakesh.s
05-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by: 4cwebb

Originally posted by: rakesh.s
The reason I hate the spurs is BECAUSE of the biased officiating..especially towards Duncan. There was a play on a loose ball yesterday when Duncan just pushed Nash to the floor and the official(crawford) stood right there looking at them and swallowed his whistle. That would've been Duncan's 2nd foul in the first quarter.

The same exact thing happened in the Seattle series. Jerome James or Antonio Daniels got hit by Duncan driving into the lane. It was so blatant that it wasn't funny. At the time Duncan would've picked up his 2nd foul, but the ref swallowed his whistle, AGAIN.

Don't even get me started on Ginobili. He dribbles around a pick, and when the defender goes over the pick, he immediately flails his head and draws a foul...

For what it's worth, there were maybe one or two bad calls that went Amare's way in the dallas series. There were also calls that didn't go in his favor - - talking about the play when Dampier "blocked" his shot, when in reality, he slapped him on the forearm.

From what I saw in Game 1, the fouls on stoudemire were pretty blatant. On another play, Duncan used his pivot and turned into the defender..His face made contact with the other player's sternum and the foul was called on the defender..WHAT THE HELL...

Like I said, we can't have Stephen Hunter blocking the golden boy's shot can we?

Regardless of how game 1 was officiated, I don't think it can be pointed to as the reason the Suns lost the game. The blame for the loss lies solely on the shoulder of QRich and Marion for just not showing up at all, and credit goes to Brent Barry for having great memory loss, not remembering that he's played like garbage for the last 2/3 of this season.

Yeah, I never said that was the reason the Suns lost the game...I was just offering up an explanation as to why I hate the spurs..that's all. I guess I now know how the Lakers have been so successful against the spurs the last few years. They had the neutralizing flopper in Derek Fisher.

jayC
05-23-2005, 03:22 PM
The thing that gets me in this playoffs his the horrific officiating. Dirk drives the lane five times in the second half and goes to the line once. I thought calls are supposed to go to the aggressor. The mavs breathed on Stoudamire and he was at the line.

About the Spurs they have the talent to play any game. A slow tempo half court game or a run and gun game.

kingrex
05-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Anytime #1 meets #2, then you have to be an excited basketball fan. Same goes for the East.

The Suns will bounce back, but they will eventually lose this series.

TVI
05-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
The reason I hate the spurs is BECAUSE of the biased officiating...No, you hate the Spurs, so you see what you want to see. The facts don't support your argument. More fouls were called on the Spurs, but you cherry pick a situation that seems to support your argument. There's at least a half-dozen reasons why a foul would or wouldn't be called in that situation. Refs routinely ignore inadvertant or unintentional contact on a loose ball, especially when no team has clear possession. But to you, it was an opportunity to call a foul on Duncan, so it's obviously biased officiating.

I've watched hundreds of Spurs games. Duncan could go to the line 25 times a game if every foul was called. But that's not gonna happen.

The Spurs have been victims of some serious ref injustice over the last couple years. Last year, there was the obvious Derek Fisher .4 blunder which all but ended the season for the Spurs. This year, the exact same thing happened in reverse at Memphis. The clock started a hair too early, and as a result, Miller's last second game-winner should not have counted, if you apply the Derek Fisher logic (you live with the timekeeper errors-it's a part of the game). But instead, the officials once again ruled against the Spurs. This time, they decided to overturning the clock keeper and count the basket. It was the right call, but as I said, the Spurs were the victims of inconsistent application of the rules. If Fisher's basket was good, then Miller's wasn't. Period.

But I suppose it doesn't matter what the reality is; you're not going to change your mind, so there's little sense in arguing the point. You go on ranting about how much favoritism the Spurs get. I, and others know you're full of baloney.

endtroducing
05-24-2005, 10:41 PM
get dem brooms out

rakesh.s
05-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by: TVI

Originally posted by: rakesh.s
The reason I hate the spurs is BECAUSE of the biased officiating...No, you hate the Spurs, so you see what you want to see. The facts don't support your argument. More fouls were called on the Spurs, but you cherry pick a situation that seems to support your argument. There's at least a half-dozen reasons why a foul would or wouldn't be called in that situation. Refs routinely ignore inadvertant or unintentional contact on a loose ball, especially when no team has clear possession. But to you, it was an opportunity to call a foul on Duncan, so it's obviously biased officiating.

I've watched hundreds of Spurs games. Duncan could go to the line 25 times a game if every foul was called. But that's not gonna happen.

The Spurs have been victims of some serious ref injustice over the last couple years. Last year, there was the obvious Derek Fisher .4 blunder which all but ended the season for the Spurs. This year, the exact same thing happened in reverse at Memphis. The clock started a hair too early, and as a result, Miller's last second game-winner should not have counted, if you apply the Derek Fisher logic (you live with the timekeeper errors-it's a part of the game). But instead, the officials once again ruled against the Spurs. This time, they decided to overturning the clock keeper and count the basket. It was the right call, but as I said, the Spurs were the victims of inconsistent application of the rules. If Fisher's basket was good, then Miller's wasn't. Period.

But I suppose it doesn't matter what the reality is; you're not going to change your mind, so there's little sense in arguing the point. You go on ranting about how much favoritism the Spurs get. I, and others know you're full of baloney.

yeah, buddy...you and all the others I see out there.

Please, give it a rest.

The team that has beaten the spurs in the last few years, the lakers, gave them a dose of their own medicine..flopping. Fisher neutralized all that bull that duncan and ginobili were pulling.

mary
05-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Dear Spurs,

Thank you for sweeping the Suns on thier home floor. Now please put them out of thier misery in the Lone Star State. The sooner you take care of business, the sooner the Steve Nash Nut Hugging Festival can end. It can't possibly happen soon enough. That is all.

All my regards,

Mary

Bayliss
05-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Looks like Cuban might not have to eat crow.....

N
A
S
H

C
A
N

S
U
C
K

I
T
!

orangedays
05-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Geez...the Suns go literally b*tch-slapped around. Spurs are rollin'...

twelli
05-24-2005, 11:32 PM
don't you all think we could have beaten them?

(I mean the Suns, not the Spurs, of course)

capitalcity
05-24-2005, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by: twelli
don't you all think we could have beaten them?

(I mean the Suns, not the Spurs, of course)Yes.... but not like this.

I really hope the Spurs get the sweep so, like mary said, the cash lovefest will come to a screeching halt.

dude1394
05-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Sweep 'em baby, sweep all the way back to 'zona. Put the mvp back on his butt.

bernardos70
05-27-2005, 10:28 AM
This is the Nash we know, the turnstile defense is getting exposed........... on series too late.