PDA

View Full Version : Jim O'Brien is toast...Mo' Cheeks takes over

rakesh.s
05-23-2005, 03:44 PM
See here (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-76ers-obrien&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Webber has to be jumping with joy...

Let's see if Mo' Cheeks actually uses webber in the high post as a passer instead of a 3 pt shooter.

kingrex
05-23-2005, 04:12 PM
I like the move by the Sixers. Cheeks harkens back to Sixers championship years. Good move, but too bad for good guy O'Brien.

cheesestar
05-23-2005, 04:15 PM
hopefully, cheeks can enjoy his stay in philly more than he did in portland

i think itll be ok because ai seems a lot more level headed then he did a whle back

kingrex
05-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by: cheesestar
hopefully, cheeks can enjoy his stay in philly more than he did in portland

i think itll be ok because ai seems a lot more level headed then he did a whle back

Moreover, the Philly ownership will probably allow him more input than Nash did at Portland over personnel.

poohrichardson
05-23-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm a big fan of Mo Cheeks as a coach.. he brings the same professionalism on the sideline as he does when he was on the floor as a player.. I still think Webber needs to go, but if there's a coach out there -- whose first name isn't Phil -- that can mend the rift between he and AI, I gotta believe it's Maurice Cheeks. Philly is starting their offseason in a good way!

kyptonite
05-23-2005, 11:23 PM
I'm glad to see Cheeks got a job, I live near portland and I liked him.

seal614
05-24-2005, 11:26 AM
looks good to me, too bad for J O'B but if the rumors are true I guess I don't feel that bad.

kingrex
05-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by: seal614
looks good to me, too bad for J O'B but if the rumors are true I guess I don't feel that bad.

what rumors?

fin4life
05-24-2005, 07:36 PM
good move by philly. They are a team to watch next year in the East. They are loaded with young studs and anchored by two superstars. I love Iverson, Iggy, Dalembert, and Korver. Although I am not a CWebb fan, it is tough to say that he is not the best passing 4 in basketball.

GP
05-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Philly won't be a team to watch. They'll be all Iverson all the time just like always. Phillies management has become really strange lately. Mo Cheeks is a guy who took over an excellent Portland team and it faded into lottery oblivion in just a couple of years. He is to nice and diplomatic and apparently none of the players respect him. I didn't like O'Brien much either. He is way to 3 happy. A Rick Pitino disciple and that ain't good. This is like trading a Yugo for a Chevy Chevette.

4cwebb
05-26-2005, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by: GP
Philly won't be a team to watch. They'll be all Iverson all the time just like always. Phillies management has become really strange lately. Mo Cheeks is a guy who took over an excellent Portland team and it faded into lottery oblivion in just a couple of years. He is to nice and diplomatic and apparently none of the players respect him. I didn't like O'Brien much either. He is way to 3 happy. A Rick Pitino disciple and that ain't good. This is like trading a Yugo for a Chevy Chevette.

You may be quite right, but to continue with your analogy, in this case, the Yugo wasn't quite the right car for the Philly team --- couldn't really get them where they wanted to go b/c all of the people that "needed rides" couldn't fit (read: O'Brien's system didn't nearly fit the "talent" he had on that team). It will be interesting to watch Mo try to fit all of those people into a Chevette. It can be done, but it will have to be done carefully.

As for any rift b/w CWebb and AI, I'm wondering if AI's public silence (at least I haven't read any comments from AI on the CWebb comments) is a product of a) the fact that he believes the press but doesn't want to throw any additional gas on the fire or b) he doesn't believe the press, and has learned through the years that the best way to allow these things to pass is to say nothing on the subject?

As for Mo Cheeks taking over an excellent Portland team, I'm not quite sure I would describe them as excellent --- it was a team of individuals that couldn't really play together because it had no real leader. The guy who should have been the leader and centerpiece of that team (Sheed) refused (and still refuses --- albeit much more successfully with Detroit) to play to his full abilities or want the role of #1 option on a team. Pippen was struggling with injuries during his tenure as a Blazer, and Cheeks was still too green to corral all of those egos/talents. Hopefully he's learned some hard lessons from his experience, and the most important thing is that he, at one time, had AI's ear as a Philly assistant. If he can keep AI's trust, Philly will be at worst marginally successful (continue to make the playoffs for the next couple of years).