PDA

View Full Version : Shaq/Mikan

bo319
06-03-2005, 04:39 PM
People can say alot about Shaq but he didn't have to do this. He genuinely seems to be a class act sometimes.

Shaq says arrangements are made for Mikan's funeral expenses

June 3, 2005
MIAMI (AP) -- The family of George Mikan accepted Shaquille O'Neal's offer to pay for the late center's funeral expenses.

O'Neal said arrangements were finalized Friday. ``Everything's going to be handled,'' O'Neal said.

Mikan, the NBA's first dominant big man, died Wednesday night at a rehabilitation center in Scottsdale, Ariz., following a long fight with diabetes and kidney ailments. He was 80.

O'Neal said he greatly enjoyed getting to know and speak with Mikan on several occasions. Shortly after the Heat beat Detroit 88-76 in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals on Thursday night, O'Neal said he would like to handle the funeral costs.

``I heard they were having some trouble, some problems, so if you contact the Heat office, I would like to pay for the funeral,'' O'Neal said.

O'Neal and Mikan are linked by leading the Lakers franchise to multiple NBA championships; Mikan carried the Minneapolis Lakers to five titles in a six-year span. O'Neal led the Los Angeles Lakers to three consecutive championships from 2000-2002.

rakesh.s
06-03-2005, 05:42 PM
the key word is sometimes

Misfit Mav
06-03-2005, 05:44 PM
He can be an ass in the public spotlight, but everything I've heard points to him being a really cool guy in his private life. I think this is a wonderful gesture.

LRB
06-03-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm far from being a Shaq fan, but this was a very cool thing to do. Shaq definitely should get props for this.

I would hope that in the future when NBA greats pass on and their familes are struggling with funeral expenses that the NBA would step in help and not rely on the generocity of players like Shaq. Whatever the NBA would spend would be more than worth the good publicity they'd get and it would be the classy thing to do.

Thespiralgoeson
06-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Shaq trash-talks a lot, but I've always had respect for him personally. For someone who has absolutely dominated the game the way he has, he could easily behave like a total ass the way many atheletes do, and never be repremanded for it. However, he doesn't. He gives credit where he credit is due; he's often publicly thanked guys like Jerry West for helping him get where he is, and spoke of his admiration for guys like George Mikan, and Hakeem Olajuwon. It's still fun to hate him, but I gotta take my hat off to him, because he seems to be a pretty classy guy off-court.

bernardos70
06-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Great gesture by the diesel. I don't hate him at all, in fact, I think he's one of the funniest NBA players. He "gets it" with the media. He knows what it is about, he knows that at the end of the day, he's not only an athlete, he's also an entertainer. If you watched MTV cribs with him, he seemed to be cool outside the court.

rakesh.s
06-03-2005, 11:33 PM
again the keyword is sometimes..

this is the same guy that thought it was "cool" to make fun of another guy's wife and yell obscenities mixed in with "pay me!" at the team owner in the preseason.

Drbio
06-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Shaq does this kind of thing all the time and to say otherwise is jsut stupidity. And this coming from a Self admitted Shaq basher.

Give the man his due. Very awesome thing to do.

TheDeutschman
06-04-2005, 07:02 AM
Shaq's also a policeman in Miami. Why would he do this? Probably because it's a good thing and helps out the community he lives in. And he doesn't really try to get much publicity for it.

The NBA is gonna have a hard time when he retires. What are the media gonna do without all of those funny quotes?

I don't think there would be so many Shaq bashers if he had never been a Laker. That franchise is really disgusting...