PDA

View Full Version : Length of NBA playoffs

jacktruth
06-07-2005, 03:25 PM
I've been pondering the position of the NBA and decided (actually decided it a long time ago) that the post season is just too long.

I think one reason they nowhere near the status of the NFL is that games just don't mean very much. It's difficult for network TV to pick a single game to carry in a series, and there are too many to carry them all.

Plus, I can't believe we are past the first week in June and the finals still havn't started yet! I think they lose the interest of NBA fans who's team's aren't in the final rounds because there are too many games. It also makes a barrier of entry to new fans. They don't know what games they should watch, and the don't want to watch them all.

I personally think they should go to 5 or even 3 games series.

It would be much more exciting and the NBA may become more prestigious in the process.

What do you all think? I personally was horrified when the changed the first series to 7 games from 5.

dirno2000
06-07-2005, 03:35 PM
I wish they could find a way to stretch them to July...just before the start of training camp.

LRB
06-07-2005, 03:37 PM
NBA will never go to less games because of $$. That's the sole reason they went from 5 to 7 games in the 1st round. And quite frankly with the outrageous salaries NBA players are making I they can't afford to go backwards.

kg_veteran
06-07-2005, 07:09 PM
I actually agree with jacktruth. The postseason is way too long, and frankly, too many teams make the playoffs.

cheesestar
06-07-2005, 07:54 PM
i tend to agree with there being too many teams, first round 1 seed vs. 8 seed 4-0 sweeps arent very entertaining

MavKikiNYC
06-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by: LRB
NBA will never go to less games because of $$. That's the sole reason they went from 5 to 7 games in the 1st round. And quite frankly with the outrageous salaries NBA players are making I they can't afford to go backwards.

They'll get longer before they get shorter.

twelli
06-07-2005, 08:19 PM
just ask a Spurs or Pistons fan if the postseason is too long...

Hitman
06-08-2005, 07:24 AM
I would LOVE it if the division winners and one wildcard from each conference made the playoffs.

It would make the regular season SO exciting.

sike
06-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
I wish they could find a way to stretch them to July...just before the start of training camp.

no doubt. save me from getting my hopes dashed by the Rangers, yet again.

V2M
06-08-2005, 09:21 AM
I think the regular season is too long. I suggest every team plays every other just two times (1 home, 1 away). That should leave us at 58 games and then the players would be fresh and unfatigued (sic?) for the playoffs.

Note: I know it's not feasible due to history, records, etc. Just wishful thinking on my part. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

LRB
06-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Note: I know it's not feasible due to history, records, etc. Just wishful thinking on my part.

Money is the real reason that it's not feasible. Owners can't afford to lose revenue from games. Look for the NBA to extend the regular season before they shorten it.

chumdawg
06-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Speaking of money...I guess the Suns took in about $5 million in revenues for that WCF series, right? Half Nash's contract, right there...

LRB
06-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Speaking of money...I guess the Suns took in about $5 million in revenues for that WCF series, right? Half Nash's contract, right there...

$5 million gross revenues or $5 million net revenues. Unless it's net, then the Suns wouldn't be able to spend that money on Nash's salary.

chumdawg
06-08-2005, 02:48 PM
I thought teams profited at about a million per playoff game. Or maybe it's home playoff game. Not sure how it works. Maybe it's not net profit. I don't know, but I know it helps the bottom line.

dirno2000
06-08-2005, 03:16 PM
I've heard that too...from my understanding it's net, but it only applies to home playoff games.

V2M
06-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Assuming an average of 20,000 fans, that'd be about $50/fan to just gross $1m. Unless they include TV revenue, which I think is shared across the league, it could just be a gross of $1m/game. I don't see how they could get more than $1m/game if it's just tickets, merchandise, etc.

jayC
06-09-2005, 10:55 AM
I hate it that they stretch the first round for two weeks or so. The mavericks only had what two days off until they went to Phoenix. Doesn't it serve the league better to have two rested teams in the second round.

I wish they went back to two divisions. The mavericks finished six games ahead of the Sonics and yet finished in the fourth spot. Chicago had a better record then the Celtics by two games yet finished in the fourth spot. The Wizards finished tied with the Celtics and yet ended in the fifth spot. If this was 2003-2003 The mavericks, bulls, wizards would have been rewarded for having a strong regular season. Instead they might as well finishthe regular season two weeks earlier.

What a difference it would have made playing Sacramento in round one. Oh well !