PDA

View Full Version : Does Andrew Bogut have a Degenerative Eye Disorder?

Evilmav2
06-12-2005, 10:20 PM
http://www.24sec.net/images/lib/Other/Andrew%20Bogut%20-%20Utah%20State.jpg
Ex-Utah center, Majerus didn't see eye-to-eye

Associated Press

CHICAGO -- Andrew Bogut made several things clear Friday: He could see himself playing for Milwaukee or Atlanta next season.

For that matter, he can see, period. He is not in danger of losing his eyesight.

If that seems like a strange statement, well, consider that former Utah coach Rick Majerus reportedly told NBA executives a few weeks ago that Bogut has a degenerative eye disease. So besides the usual questions about his background, his strengths and weaknesses, the 7-foot Australian center from Utah found himself discussing his eyesight and his former coach during a predraft news conference.

Bogut, who did not get along well with Majerus, said he hasn't spoken with his former coach since the rumor circulated. And when asked about his relationship with Majerus, Bogut responded tersely: "Fine."

The same goes for his eyesight. It's fine, Bogut said.

"If every person who wears a contact lens in the United States has a degenerative eye disorder, I think you'd have a lot of sick people," he said. "I'm not going to go blind in two years, mate."

Besides reportedly spreading that rumor about Bogut's eyesight, Majerus told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that North Carolina forward Marvin Williams will be the best player in the draft. Is the former Utah coach crashing Bogut's stock?

"Not really," Bogut said. "I think if people believe the rumors that are floating around, that's up to them. But I know it's not true. There are no problems between me and him. I don't have a degenerative eye disorder."

Bogut said the rumor doesn't bother him, and if the Bucks pass on him because of that, it would be "their loss."

"I'd already be going blind if I had it," he said.

If his stock drops, it probably won't be a long fall.

Bogut is expected to go to Milwaukee with the No. 1 pick or Atlanta at No. 2 in the draft on June 28, after averaging 20.4 points and 12.2 rebounds. The team that doesn't wind up with Bogut is expected to draft Williams, which could make him a trendsetter.

"Some people say that," said Williams, a reserve last season. "We're going to find out."

Bogut and Williams are expected to work out with Milwaukee and Atlanta before the draft. Williams said he probably won't work out for any other teams. Bogut said those will be his only workouts and the Hawks assured him they will pick him if Milwaukee passes.

"[The Hawks] are dying to get me at No. 2," Bogut said. "I've spoken to them a couple of times this week, and they're loving it. They're rolling around on the floor laughing about [the rumor] because they're gonna get me at No. 2."

Whether the Bucks or Hawks take him, Bogut said he does not have a strong preference. He thinks he would fit well with either team.

Milwaukee does have several advantages, though: a large Croatian population and, he said, a good shot at making the playoffs.

Bogut was born and raised in Australia but has Croatian family roots. He grew up watching Toni Kukoc, Drazen Petrovic, Vlade Divac and Arvydas Sabonis, and has drawn comparisons to Divac and Brad Miller.

"I'm not as slow as Vlade," Bogut said. "People say I'm not athletic, but I'm definitely not un-athletic. You'd be surprised. Playing for Utah, I looked un-athletic at times because I just had to get the job done of getting a 'W' for the Utes. And it worked out. I didn't need to be athletic. I was strictly banging inside."

Bogut loves the idea of playing with shooting guard Michael Redd, assuming the Bucks re-sign the unrestricted free agent.

"I'd set good screens, get him open, and that's how I would get open," Bogut said. "We'd be tough. Hopefully, they take me. I'd be an asset for them."

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2005/news/story?id=2082730)

chumdawg
06-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Is it just me, or does this guy have "bust" written all over him?

Evilmav2
06-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Anytime scouts continually bill a potential #1 NBA draft pick as 'The Next Vlade Divac', you know there's going to be a substantial risk of such said draft pick panning out into a big, big-time bust...

cheesestar
06-12-2005, 11:21 PM
seems a little overconfident

bernardos70
06-13-2005, 12:58 AM
Andrew who?

Misfit Mav
06-13-2005, 07:59 AM
I'll admit the Vlade comparisons are troubling, but seeing this guy play in college made me think he'll be very good. But I'm no expert of course. The Majerus thing is weird-- why would he even care enough to meddle with Bogut's stock? If they didn't get along, it seems like he would just not want to get involved in the draft at all. It seems petty and vindictive, which is out of character for Majerus from what I've heard about the guy.

sike
06-13-2005, 10:11 AM
most Utah players have bust written on them...

Drbio
06-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by: cheesestar
seems a little overconfident

I'd be more disappointed if he wasn't and to be fair, you probably would too. Hard to bash a guy for stepping up and demonstrating a little confidence. But I do agree that he has the bust potential all around him.

Bayliss
06-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Nenad Kristic was compared to Vlade too. And he looks like he is going to be a very solid NBA player.

I have watched Bogut play all of about 5 minutes. But he is much more athletic than many of the big white stiffs that have been drafted in the past.

DRsock33
06-13-2005, 04:42 PM
There is nothing wrong with being confident, thats what makes a competitor. Misplacing your ability is another thing. He might have had to be inside alot for Utah, but there is alot of space between the baskets to understand he won't be an athletic center.

BUT the thought of Redd being on a team with a good/great center just makes me crazy.

bo319
06-13-2005, 04:50 PM
I think Bogut will be a fine player. I do not believe he will be an all-star but a good to decent player. I don't think Milwaukee takes him though. Bogut to me does not appear to be that much of an upgrade to what Gadzurich has become...at least not in the near future. If I were Milwaukee I take Marvin Williams...he has the right skill set to team with Gad, Mason, and Redd and then all they'll need is a healthy TJ Ford or a good PG.

Evilmav2
06-13-2005, 09:07 PM
I actually don't think that Bogut is really going to be a bust, but I think he would look a lot better being drafted in the 4-8 range rather than #1 or #2. If he can stay healthy, I'd bet the big Croat/Aussie will be able to put up a good 14 pts and 8 rbs per game for about a decade or so, but the big man is pretty darned unathletic and I doubt that he will ever be able to live up to the great expectations that come part and parcel with being the #1 NBA lottery pick...

OzMavs
06-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Despite only being 17-18, Bogut played for Australia in Athens and was our most consistent player. He's a different style of rookie. He has a truckload of confidence, works hard at the team concept and doesn't give up. While he may not dominate every game, he is well rounded and can bring a lot in terms of his passing ability. Some of his passing from the low post is high quality. I'm not sure about his capacity to improve his endurance and athletic ability, but if you want someone that can play physical, team-oriented basketball, with a good grounding in all the fundamentals in basketball, Bogut is your man.

He had a fantastic year in the NCAA last year. I doubt he ever goes down in history as one of the #1 picks of all time, but he will be infinitely more coachable and driven than a great deal of #1's past.