PDA

View Full Version : Question on proposal to raise NBA minimum age

LRB
06-17-2005, 01:13 PM
OK,

I have a question about the owners proposal to raise the NBA minimum age. My question is why is the union demanding concessions to accept this proposal?

Here's my reasoning. The players benefit every bit as much as the owners by this and IMO they benefit substantially. Let me review:

1. This will not affect any players currently in the NBA or in other words non of the members of the NBA union.
2. This will provide more jobs for those who are members of the NBA union because any most chose 18 year olds won't be able to compete immediately and keep a roster spot that could be filled by veterans. I know teams will still have to chose players in the draft, but if those players aren't as good as vets they are less likely to make teams and take a vets spot versus most teams looking at 18 yearolds as projects. Here it would really benefit the Members more to raise the age to the same as the NFL's, highshcool + 3 years or 21.
3. This hurts the NBA's image and therefore affects revenue and the union contracts for player salaries is based on revenues. The more revenues the more money the players get.

I just don't get the downside to the union's members. Can someone offer an effective argument on how this adversely affects the unions membership?

dirno2000
06-17-2005, 01:40 PM
I think Hunter's argument is driven by a couple of things:

1) The golden rule of negotiations: never give anything without getting anything back. You're right in that his current constituency wouldn't be negatively affected and would likely be positively affected. Still, Stern wants it and Hunter is probably indifferent, but why not get something back just because you can?

2) I haven't read this anywhere but I bet agents don't want an age limit. Just seems that high school kids would be more impressionable. Maybe theyíre more beholden to you because you reach them at a young age, maybe they donít ask as many questions as a kid that been to college and taken a couple of finance courses. I donít know, just pure speculation on my part.

LRB
06-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Dirno I totally agree with you on #2 and wonder if the agents are pressing the players to oppose something that is in the agent's best interest and not the players.

On #1, I understand what you are saying but I feel that is childish behavior and all around bad business practice. At best it is extremely short sighted. I'm not denying that this is Hunter's reasoning, but if it is in the player's best interest, then he's getting something for the concession. It certainly seems a totally silly and immature reason to play brinkman ship over millions of unrecoopable dollars for those who he is supposed to be representing.

EricaLubarsky
06-17-2005, 02:11 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nba/2003/0225/photo/jwill_duffy_i.jpg
Bill Duffy: @#$! Basketball, show me the monayyy!!

chumdawg
06-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Did you know that Bill Duffy played college ball himself (at Santa Clara, which may not surprise you) and, if I'm not mistaken, was drafted into the NBA? What exactly does "@#$! Basketball" mean?

Redbug
06-18-2005, 10:18 PM
the 19 year old limit is shear stupidity....it needs to be at least 20 and 21 is even better.....there are way too many high school players that are already 19 after being held back for academic reasons or parents holding a player back to allow them to grow/mature another year....

I thought the bottom line was to IMPROVE THE NBAby getting rid of all the wasted roster spots and $$$$ thrown away chasing "prospects".....

I'd love to see 1st time entry level/draft contracts only guaranteed for 1 year of the 3....players would have to earn their spots and teams could take chances without being hamstrung and fillout their rosters with talent instead of "potential"

LRB
06-18-2005, 10:44 PM
he 19 year old limit is shear stupidity....it needs to be at least 20 and 21 is even better.....

I couldn't agree more.