PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta to offer Joe Johnson max contract on July 22nd - why?

rakesh.s
07-08-2005, 08:51 AM
according to realgm

I just don't understand this move on Atl's part...They have Josh Smith, Childress and they drafted Marvin Williams. Why would they add ANOTHER guard? Makes no sense to me. You'd think they would be going after big men like Chandler, Kwame Brown, Swift etc etc.

Pongo
07-08-2005, 08:56 AM
anyways - pretty good for the mavs.
either phoenix overpays Johnson or they'll lose him.
... but i think it's a strange move, too.

DubOverdose
07-08-2005, 09:18 AM
If JJ leaves the Suns, they will be in search of good perimiter shooting after trading QRich. They could be in A LOT of trouble this summer. I'm betting that Atlanta has been stockpiling their young talent for a big trade, either for a C or PG....or possibly a PF. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Hornets trade Maggs for 2 swingmen or Denver to trade Nene for a SG.

madape
07-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Johnson will re-sign in Pheonix. The only question is for how much. Atlanta seems to be driving the price up for them, which I guess is good.

There are plenty of potential replacements for QRich that the Suns can choose from. I don't think you need to look much further than your very own Dallas Maverickcs and Michael Finley. Veteran shooting guards can be acquired easily, especially this summer. What's harder to find is competent big men. The Suns have already taken care of that problem with the Kurt Thomas trade. I'm thinking that before the summer is over, people will be talking about how the Suns had one of the best off-seasons in the NBA.

Evilmav2
07-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Word on the HoopsHype (via HawkSquawk) is:

Hot-lanta to the max

A player personnel source in the NBA's Eastern Conference tells us that the Atlanta Hawks not only intend to offer Suns restricted free agent guard Joe Johnson a maximum contract offer on July 22, there are people within the Hawks organization saying they're going to end up getting him.

And a Western Conference source tells us that the Cleveland Cavaliers will turn their attention to Johnson now that Michael Redd has agreed to return to Milwaukee.

That has to be a scary thought to the rest of the NBA, because a 24-year-old Johnson could play Scottie Pippen to the 20-year-old LeBron James' Michael Jordan.

The exact contract could be worth between $68 million and $72 million for a five-year deal, which is what all other teams can offer Johnson.

The Suns could offer around $90 million for six seasons, but we hear the offer they have made is for six years and about $60 million.

That ultimately doesn't matter if the Suns are serious about matching all offers, which they would have seven days to do.

One source told us that most teams are convinced that the Suns will match, but perhaps Atlanta and Cleveland believe that the Suns are bluffing in attempt to get Johnson for less money.

However it plays out, if the Suns are going to keep him, they're going to pay a lot more than the $50 million for six years they could have locked him in for last summer.

This Hoopshype rumor may just be all hot air, but I can't imagine that the Colangelo family business will be willing to give JJ the max this Summer, and thus I can't help but imagine that if the Cavs or Atlanta are willing to really, really overpay Johnson, the Suns already disastrous Summer (trading Q and a 1st rounder for old Mav's traitor Kurt Thomas) just might get a little worse next week...

chumdawg
07-08-2005, 10:28 AM
The Colangelos don't own the Suns anymore. Robert Sarver does.

madape
07-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Atlanta needs to pay the max to get players to play there. They've offered it in the past with no takers. I don't think Pheonix will need to pay that much to keep Johnson a Sun, especially since the team cleared way for him to shine by shipping off Q. Speaking of that trade, they obviously did so with the intention of paying Johnson. Regardless, I think Sarver has shown he's willing to pay for talent (much more so lately than Mark Cuban)

If they keep Johnson, grab Finley or Jalen Rose to replace QRich AND add a big guy like Thomas who can guard the tough Western Conference forwards and centers on one end and run the break with Nash and Amare on the other end... I think the jury will proclaim them big time winners.

Of course "disasterous" is another way to think of it, but I think that label would be more aptly givent to another former western conference contender deperately trying to slash payroll.

Evilmav2
07-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
The Colangelos don't own the Suns anymore. Robert Sarver does.

Did Brian get fired? And has Jerry lost all of his shares yet?

That said, you are correct in pointing out that Sarver is the majority owner now, but it's still hard for me to think of the Phoenix Suns as being anything but Colangelo country...

Evilmav2
07-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by: madape

Of course "disasterous" is another way to think of it, but I think that label would be more aptly givent to another former western conference contender deperately trying to slash payroll.

Huh? Are you making fun of my spelling, Ape? Well, if you are, the funny thing is that I didn't actually mispell 'disastrous' in my original post.

Aside from that though, I still think the Suns may still come up smelling like roses this offseason (particularly if they pick up the FinDog for free), but if Atlanta is truly offering JJ the max, Brian Colangelo and his new boss are certainly faced with a dire 'lose-lose' decision; a decision that entails their choosing between the two equally awful options of horribly overpaying JJ by matching ATL's max offer (thus taking them out of the free agent market for years to come and possibly forcing them to trade Shawn Marion and his enormous contract away), or letting Johnson walk away in exchange for nothing (after trading away Q, partially to clear cap space to make the JJ resigning more financially palatable for the luxury tax-conscious PHX ownership).

I say that however great the Steve/Amare show might have looked during the regular season in 04-05, I can't imagine that particular sideshow will really be able to step up and grow into a true NBA championship caliber team if they end up losing all of their youngest, most talented players (not named Amare) to the unforgiving slings and arrows of salary cap issues and because of the shallow pockets of their miserly and shortsighted ownership group...

ocelot_ark
07-08-2005, 11:42 AM
Woo Pig...

Wow. I'm very happy for Joe. When he was up here there were a lot of people that questioned his desire/heart, but he's always been one of my favorite players. He's also a very friendly, personable guy. I've got an autographed ticket stub from the 2000 season when the hogs upset a top 5 Kentucky team. Joe, IMO, will go down as the most talented Razorback ever.

cripple balls
07-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Why would you expect logic from the hawks ?

FilthyFinMavs
07-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Why not do it? Joe Johnson is a talent and he can definately be traded so it atleast gives them pieces to trade in the near future. Its like last season when the Suns signed Q-Rich. They didn't trade anything to get him they just signed him. And now they turned Q-Rich into a piece that fits which is Kurt Thomas. I'd be very intrigued with a team that has Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and Marvin Williams for their future.

echo
07-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Why not do it? Joe Johnson is a talent and he can definately be traded so it atleast gives them pieces to trade in the near future. Its like last season when the Suns signed Q-Rich. They didn't trade anything to get him they just signed him. And now they turned Q-Rich into a piece that fits which is Kurt Thomas. I'd be very intrigued with a team that has Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and Marvin Williams for their future.

I personally don't think any of the Free Agent SG's were worth the max, but I think Joe Johnson may have been the best of the bunch considering Ray Allen's age. Johnson can play some PG too. Plus I think the Hawks needed to do something in free agency for their fans. All 4 or 5 of them! Honestly Johnson, Josh Smith & Childress, and Marvin Williams is an awesome young nucleus. They have an easily tradeable guy in Harrington. If they somehow land Swift then it's not a bad team and it could be very good in a few years.

As for the Suns? I hope he leaves. He will be much more difficult to replace than Q as they have no trading resources left. Nash/Bell/Marion/Amare/K. Thomas would be your likely lineup. I like the Thomas trade, but that was contingent on resigning Johnson. They will now be forced to match IMO.

Misfit Mav
07-08-2005, 06:51 PM
I can't wait to see the Hawks play the Knicks next season. Have there ever been 10 guards on the floor in a game before?

Pirate
07-09-2005, 04:03 AM
Here is the math. The numbers are so much bigger with the Atlanta offer that I bet JJ signs an offer sheet to see if Phoenix is really willing to match "any offer" as they claim.

Phoenix, 6 yrs at 60 ... breaks down to (in round numbers) .... 7.91, 8.74, 9.58, 10.41, 11.26, 12.1
Atlanta, 5 yrs at max ... (using a cap of 50M, tot 72.5) ...............12.5, 13.5, 14.5, 15.5, 16.5

With those numbers, you can bet your ass he signs the offer sheet. Thats a 58% difference in year 1 !!

Thespiralgoeson
07-09-2005, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by: madape

You're right, Madape. "Disastrous" is a good way to describe Minnesota's situation.