View Full Version : Curry getting bitter taste in his mouth

Evilmav2
07-08-2005, 09:34 AM
http://www.news-gazette.com/allstate/photos/CurryEddy.jpg
Curry getting bitter taste in his mouth

Bulls' inaction gives Curry 'sour taste'

July 8, 2005

BY LACY J. BANKS Staff Reporter

These are not the best of days for Bulls center Eddy Curry, who thought by now he would be celebrating a lucrative, long-term contract agreement to stay in Chicago.

Free agents Ray Allen and Michael Redd have to wait until July 22, like everyone else, before signing their contracts, but at least they have agreements in hand to stay in Seattle and Milwaukee, respectively.

Bulls operations chief John Paxson has maintained he'll keep Curry and his other restricted free agents -- Tyson Chandler, Chris Duhon and Jannero Pargo -- but Curry is frustrated by the pace of negotiations. The Bulls reportedly are considering a short-term, incentive-laden offer to protect their investment in the wake of Curry's episodes with an irregular heartbeat, which ended his season March 30.

''Honestly, I feel like I've been through enough,'' Curry said Thursday after going through his third day of workouts with trainer Tim Grover at the WestLoop Athletic Club. ''I feel like I've done everything that people have asked me to do to prove I'm healthy enough to play. The doctors have cleared me and said I can play. But I feel like right now, it should happen the way they said it was going to happen.

''They said that once I got cleared, they were going to lock me up [with a new contract], and that was going to be it. But that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. It certainly isn't happening right now. It's definitely leaving a sour taste in my mouth. But right now, all that I can do is come in here every day and work out, do what my trainer tells me to do, get back in top conditioning and be ready to play.

"I never wanted to leave Chicago, but it's a strong possibility that could happen from the way things look.''

The Bulls can match any offer their restricted free agents receive from other teams. If another team offers Curry a lucrative deal without health-based incentives, the Bulls might consider a sign-and-trade deal.

Curry said he won't play for the one-year qualifying offer of just over $5.1 million, after which he would become an unrestricted free agent.

''I'm feeling good, feeling great and glad to be working out again,'' Curry said. ''[But] everything is moving in slow motion now in terms of the Bulls [negotiating a new contract], and there's little I can do about it.

''I've got to gradually work my way back into tip-top shape, but [there aren't any] limitations to what I can do now. The doctor has cleared me to get back to playing ball, and he hasn't put any restrictions as to what I can do. I'm not on any medications, and I'm working out every day except for Sunday.''

MavKikiNYC
07-08-2005, 02:28 PM
How do you spell "w-i-p-e-o-u-t"?

Bayliss
07-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Before his heart condition I didn't feel sorry for him. But after the heart condition I feel sorry for him. That's a scary thing. Between Gathers, Lewis, etc... you just never know.

But Curry has got to be a better rebounder for his size. He rebounds like Toni Kukoc but with a body like Shaq. That just cannot happen.

capitalcity
07-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Did Len Bias die of the same heart thing? Or was it coke?

Bayliss
07-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Bias blew out the backside of his heart by using coke. So I will say yes to both questions.